Chronic Records

Control_Vee

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some bad news.

First things first, to explain my delay. I've recently gotten a new computer, and I've been working on things now that I can do them again, and I keep getting distracted from making comics.

Second of all, technical issues.

GIMP won't load my brushes correctly, so I can't work with a lot of my backgrounds since I don't have the brushes. I have some brushes - but now, any new ones I try to install won't show up. I install them to the right folder, I refresh, even restart GIMP.

I'm currently using Gimp 2.8 on a Windows 8 computer. Any help with this?

I extract files to C / Users / <my user> / .gimp-2.8 / brushes, which Gimp in its settings says is the brushes folder.

However, it will not load any more brushes when I install them, and I'm still missing quite a few crucial ones.

• Upvote 1

Sisen said:

Let's focus on Snail! Snail is the bombdiggity.

I forget how gimp works with brushes, I never bothered with them much, but is there some sort of a "re-scan folder" option when you have gimp open in the brushes area? That's what I have to do when I load new fonts into the program.

I forget how gimp works with brushes, I never bothered with them much, but is there some sort of a "re-scan folder" option when you have gimp open in the brushes area? That's what I have to do when I load new fonts into the program.

I install them to the right folder, I refresh, even restart GIMP.

If the refresh button on the brush dialog window is what you mean by 're-scan, then yes, I have done this. Several times.

Sisen said:

Maku: Wonder why you think your name is Macku

Macku: Hug your Huki plushie and cry because you're sad about having your elder and all your friends trapped at the bottom of an ocean

Macku:Dramatically play dead to catch the colorful matoran's attention

Macku: Yell meaninglessly for Nokama and Gali

oi5IYYl.png

Okay, well. Sheesh.

Maku, then. People just keep mispronouncing your name as Mah-Koo, so you got sick of it. Guess we've gotta be all grammatically correct here.

As for your painstakingly hand-made with your love, sweat and tears plushie... It's currently in your wrecked hut. It's probably soaked which is okay because you made it waterproof for secret cuddling when you're hidden underwater which is... slightly bothersome. You don't have it. The monster attacked before you could grab it, and you had to flee.

Playing dead? Being afraid and screaming? Karz no. You're no wimpy damsel in distress. You just need some help to check things out whilst you look for Gali. But this... colorful weirdo? Ugh. You suppose you have no choice.

-------

What will you do?

-------

Had to recollect my gimp brush collection manually, but it seems to be fixed.

Edited by Control_Vee
  • Upvote 1

Sisen said:

uPG4U81.png

Maku: Get the attention of the stranger.

-What do you mean, 'edit' the sun?

-I didn't blur the BG at all. That's how it came out. The only things I blurred were the gulls in the background, for perspective.

-Shadows are a development process. I'm still not the best at backgrounds either. Lighting is something I'm working and improving on over time, hence the experimental 'shadow trail' leading to the shadow on the ground.

-Furthermore, I had to rebuild my entire collection of brushes. I couldn't achieve the same effects as before.

Thank you for the critique.

Edited by Leraku

Sisen said:

uPG4U81.png

Editing the image. You have to do much more work to figure out the lighting in these back lit images. It is the same for front lit panels. You have to put forward more effort with regards to core lighting and shading in such panels than in others, which is why some authors find midday and midnight panels easier to produce than morning and dusk. You did, however, do an excellent job with the core shading in this one. I'm merely giving you advise regarding where your light source is, and warning you what to expect when it comes to Vakama's talk with Takua (or any panel with Vakama, really If you allow this to happen I cannot be held responsible for what happens to you).

bBhcfWO.png

uPG4U81.png

Editing the image. You have to do much more work to figure out the lighting in these back lit images. It is the same for front lit panels. You have to put forward more effort with regards to core lighting and shading in such panels than in others, which is why some authors find midday and midnight panels easier to produce than morning and dusk. You did, however, do an excellent job with the core shading in this one. I'm merely giving you advise regarding where your light source is, and warning you what to expect when it comes to Vakama's talk with Takua (or any panel with Vakama, really If you allow this to happen I cannot be held responsible for what happens to you).

That's actually fairly accurate, the Vakama bit. It's a dark room with a fire behind him. Given the lighting being behind him, his front would be harder to see and shadowed, with light around the edges. I'd try to sharpen it up and make it look better than that, but it's still lighting-accurate. As for the 'more effort' part, I'm willing to put forth that effort. I'm wanting to improve in my lighting, and the best way to learn is by doing it. It's really not that hard for me to figure out the lighting - that's more of a personal editing 'difficulty' to bring up, it doesn't apply to everyone, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. For long-winded discussions like this, I suggest we take it to PM from here on rather than clog the topic. Thank you.

Edited by Leraku

Sisen said:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Takua: Chase a -

q88m40b.png

You don't know what butterflies are, but you tried to chase them. You couldn't do anything else because you seem to have tripped and gotten your face buried in the sand.

Again.

You seem to end up with your head in the sand quite a lot.

What will you do?

---

More light tests.

Reason for the delay? One, procrastination. Two, that I got one AC.

One. This is driven on community input, so if you think of anything, send it in.

Edited by Control_Vee

Sisen said:

• 2 weeks later...

So. We haven't really had many updates here.

Mainly because this is a community-driven comic without community input. I appreciate that a few people have left ACs here and there, but, honestly, it doesn't give me much to work with. Look at some of the earlier comics and see how crazy some stuff got.

But aside from that, I'm not getting much input.

I know how the story goes. But I don't have any drive to keep it going if the community-driven comic doesn't have any participators. I understand that some of you absolutely love this comic, but it's just not going to work out if we don't have enough people dropping by. I sincerely apologize for my past procrastination, but I /have/ been wanting to make comics recently. I just don't have much drive, or much input to work with, since very few people are even posting. You guys are literally the ones running things - All the silly shenanigans that can go on are up to you. I'm only the facilitator, the artist. I'm the writer in only the loosest sense.

So. I'm going to leave this here for a little while, see who notices, see who posts ACs. I may cancel the comic if it seems like people just genuinely aren't interested in this anymore. Then I'll go back to the drawing board, see if I can think up anything more, and you might see some things from me again.

But for now? The livelihood of this comic is all up to you.

If you want it to stay? Post some ACs. If you're not interested... well, don't bother, I suppose. But don't just get lazy and not bother posting, because that's why things have been slow. I've been waiting for input. It's just one little post.

And it's up to you now.

Sisen said:

From one command comic maker to another: learn the value in making up your own situations. Especially if you have a story you're trying to tell. If you leave it solely to your readers 1. they'll let you down eventually and 2. you'll never get anywhere. :P

Takua: Eat the sand

Takua... listen to me... walk up to her... kneel down... and pull out a ring... and...

'random hot Ga-Matoran... will you be my sand queen?'

and then she will slap you

'I have a boyfriend, you creep!'

and then she'll kick you where the sun don't shine, and you'll fall to the ground and...

Takua: Eat the sand

Edited by Turaga Loga

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

• 3 weeks later...

Takua: EAT THE SAND!

kbATKJl.gif

OM NOM NOM NOM

Takua: Detach your shadow, preferably while not yelling "Shadow Clone jutsu!!", and hope that your new clone won't get his head stuck in the sand quite so often.

K9Nctir.png

Done. Now your shadow is (probably) permanently detached from your body.

He doesn't talk much.

You think his name is Aukat.

He's pretty cool, you guess.

What will you do?

Edited by Control_Vee
  • Upvote 1

Sisen said:

Wait what? what is this?! What?! I don't even!? This is amazing!

I love this kind of stuff!

Takua: Refer your shadow to the abyss that is the horizon.

EDIT: I totally forgot to tell you! I love how you've made each panel. And your GIFs are so good! Are you making them strictly from GIMP?

Edited by Calvirick
  • Upvote 1

szUzWHB.gif

...Huh. Another one of my comics seems to have made it on the front page.

...WAIT

FCKlz9u.gif

I'M ON THE FRONT PAGE AGAIN WHO WHAT NOW HOW IS THIS EVEN

I'D LIKE TO THANK - *shot*

-----

Takua: Offer your new friend some sand.

HOboSoV.png

You try to feed your friend the fantastic sedimentary delicacy that is sand.

However, Aukat is a shadow, meaning he is (inconsistently) intangible.

Aukat cannot eat the sand.

This saddens you greatly.

Aukat and Takua: Do a dance!

va5G3vj.gif

HOWEVER, YOU ARE NO LONGER SADDENED AS YOU NOW BOTH ENGAGE IN A MERRY JIG.

THE MERRIEST OF JIGS!

What will you do?

-----

Goodness gracious, front page again! I'm surprised I've done this well at all. Thank you, everyone, for supporting this comic. Thank you, especially, Windrider, for always being willing to help out when questions or support relevant to the comics forums were required.

Also, sorry if the Vee images up there are a bit big! I may have accidentally miscalculated the sizes necessary. If it really is a problem, I can go through the hassle of resizing them, but, if it's okay, I'd rather them stay as is. I'm fine with changing them if I have to, though.

QUESTION TIME!

EDIT: I totally forgot to tell you! I love how you've made each panel. And your GIFs are so good! Are you making them strictly from GIMP?

Yes. All of my comics are made entirely in GIMP, including the .GIF panels. I used to use Microsoft GIF Animator, but it had horrendous quality and was very bare-bones, restricting me - especially in quality.

If there is to be dancing, I demand it be something like this

hazama-smooth-criminal-o.gif

Unfortunately, by the time I saw this I had already finished the dancing panel. I hope the merry jig will suffice!

Edited by Control_Vee
  • Upvote 4

Sisen said:

I skimmed through the story, and I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm interested in seeing what happens next. 

And as for commands...:

Takua: Challenge Aukat to a race. 

Aukat: Wonder what happens to yourself when there is no light around you.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

TAKUA: Get ye flask.

AUKAT: Attempt to flirt with the strange female impatiently tapping her foot nearby.

I really like what you're doing with this, even if it takes you a while for each segment; true art takes time!

• Upvote 1

banner.jpg