RPG Forum Contest 30

Black Six

Bionicle RPG Forum Text-Based RPG Contest 30

After a slight hiatus, the Bionicle RPG contest has returned! After taking some feedback into consideration, we've made some tweaks to the rules. The big change is that there will be three contests per year now instead of four. Look for the other changes in bold text below. Aside from that, there's no theme for this contest, to submit anything you'd like!

Here's how these contests work:

• The contest will be run every four (4) months, or three (3) times a year.
  • All members are welcome to enter the contest.
    • Each member can only enter one (1) Text-based RPG entry.
    • The only exception to this is that BZPRPG and RPG Contest staff will not be permitted to make entries.
  • There will be three winners selected in every contest.
    • The winners will be the three RPGs with the most votes after one or more rounds of voting (depending on the number of entries).
  • Whether or not a given RPG wins or not, it will be allowed to run in future contests, with the below conditions and restrictions.
    • For and RPG that lost a contest, the creator must make an attempt to alter and improve their entry before entering it in the next contest.
    • If an RPG has won four (4) consecutive contests that it has entered, it can not enter the next four contests. It does not, however, have to be altered before being entered again after its break, although the creator can do so if they desire to.
      • Example: A RPG wins two contests in a row. It is not entered in the next contest. It is entered and wins the fourth and fifth contests. At this point it cannot be entered into the next four contests.
  • Other restrictions as a result of other rules or administrative action may prevent a member from submitting an RPG.
  • At the end of the four-month interval between contests, if an active RPG does not win again, it will be closed.
    • If a former winner wins again at a later date, the creator of the RPG can choose to continue in the old topic where they left off or start over again in a new topic.
  • If the creator or members of a winning RPG break the RPG forum rules, that RPG will be closed.
    • The next runner-up from the previous contest will be allowed to run for the remainder of the term.
    • The offending RPG will not be allowed to participate in the next contest.
  • If a winning RPG has no new posts for three weeks, that RPG will be closed.
    • The next runner-up from the previous contest will be allowed to run for the remainder of the term.
  • TBRPG Entries

The following is what determines a Text-Based RPG entry. The creator of each entry must provide at least:

• A brief introduction to the RPG.
      • A description of the setting - the time and place the events occur.
      • A history of what has happened leading up to the current situation.
      • The characters and creatures involved. Does this take place in the canonical Bionicle Universe, or is this your own island with its own heroes and villains?
  • A description on how you plan to further to story.
    • Does it follow the actual Bionicle story or take place in a setting of your own creation?
    • Is there an outline on where you plan for it go?
    • Will the players be allowed to choose the direction the story takes?
    • Is there an ultimate goal or quest, or is it merely a world for members to inhabit?
  • Requirements for those wishing to participate in your RPG.
    • Will members be taking the role of existing characters or characters you have created?
    • Can they make their own characters? If so, what sort of restrictions will be placed on them?
    • What sort of equipment, masks, stats, etc will members get when they begin?
  • Rules determining how players will interact with the environment and other characters.
    • How will the winner of battles be determined?
    • How will members buy and upgrade their equipment?
    • Will members level up? How will they gain experience?
  • The above information can be submitted however the creator prefers. It does not have to be delineated in this way, as long as it is all there.

Contest Procedures

Here is the format the contest will operate under:

• Members will have approximately three weeks to draft and submit entries.
      • Entries will be posted in the Contest Submission thread. Any entries posted elsewhere or PMed will be disregarded.
      • At the end of this period, no further entries will be accepted.
  • The entries will be grouped into as few polls as possible for the initial round of voting.
  • Each round of voting will last for two to three days (48-72 hours).
  • The format of subsequent rounds of voting will be determined depending on the number of entries.
  • The three entries with the most votes in the final round of voting will be declared the winners.
  • Any questions can be posted in the Contest Rules Thread or PMed to Contest Host Black Six.

NOTE - All current TBRPGs must be submitted as entries if they wish to continue running.

Entries can be SUBMITTED from now until 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, January 22nd.

You can review other entries and discuss the reviews in the Review Topic.

Question: Is the unchanged 4-contest winning streak, 4-contest off rule intentional, or simply an overlooking in the other changes of 3 contests a year? Should this be now 3-contests won, 3-contests off?

Zakaro

Yes, that's intentional. We haven't had any RPGs come even close to hitting that rule in a while, so I don't suspect it'll cause any problems.

Probably not going to enter, because my current laptop doesn't have any sort of word-processing software. If I get some quite a bit before the deadline, then I might enter.

No word-processing? What about WordPad?

What's WordPad?

Is it some sort of free word processing thing? Does it work with Windows 8.1? If it does, I might have to get that. Since my laptop didn't even come with M Word... which is stupid.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Probably not going to enter, because my current laptop doesn't have any sort of word-processing software. If I get some quite a bit before the deadline, then I might enter.

No word-processing? What about WordPad?

What's WordPad?

Is it some sort of free word processing thing? Does it work with Windows 8.1? If it does, I might have to get that. Since my laptop didn't even come with M Word... which is stupid.

Wordpad is a preinstalled program with windows. No spellchecker though, so I advise you use gdocs.

I might enter in this, I have had a few ideas for a while now.

-Insert deep message to prove I am alive here-

Normally I know pretty early on what I'll be doing for each contest, but this time not so much. To solve this, I'll ask for some advice. I'll certainly be entering this contest, but my entry could be one of a few things:

• A continuation of City of Legends. This would depend on how that game progresses in the next few months and whether it reaches a point that could springboard into a second arc (I'm looking at you, Lhikan and Lariska's teams). CoL has been great fun so far, but I worry that not having played the first iteration might be a barrier for new players wanting to join/vote. This might be overcome in how the sequel gets structured, but ehh... I'm not sure yet.
  • A re-entry of any of my past games that didn't win. Transformation, City in the Dark and Secrets and Shadows could all make a reappearance, though that last one would need some work, since I wasn't happy with how it turned out last time around. Transformation was, I think, the best of the three, but it was designed a year and a half ago for contest 24. That was a different time, when the games were getting over 20 players each, and I built Transformation to work with those numbers. I fear that in the current climate, the setup of Zakaz and the different groups present would spread the characters out too thinly, and the game would die before its time. City in the Dark could probably avoid this, and work well with only a handful of players. To sum up, if anybody liked those games enough to want them back, speak now of forever hold your peace.
  • A new idea for a game I've been working, provisionally titled The Web. It would be similar to Transformation in many ways, but designed so that it would need fewer active characters to keep it afloat. I could put more of it out there if there was interest.
  • As a bit of a joke, I wonder if it might be possible to rework Zyglak's Quest into a decent game. Set in The Pit around the time of the Great Cataclysm, with Hydraxon dead and the surviving prisoners escaping into the unknown world outside of the MU, and a band of Zyglak seeing the ruined dome as the perfect opportunity to establish a permanent Zyglak nation away from the other MU inhabitants they they so despise. Cue conflict. I would have to talk to Toa of Dancing about this one of course, since Zyglak's Quest is his intellectual property, but it might be a bit of a laugh.

So, there are the options. If you prefer any of them over the others, please say so. It will help me, but it will also help you because it means you get the game you want. This way, I (probably) won't enter something that nobody likes, and it is in everybody's best interests to see as many good entries as possible.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

• The only exception to this is that BZPRPG and RPG Contest staff will not be permitted to make entries.

Might I ask why? Two BZPRPG staff members out of the three that are left have ideas that they want to try and implement in the next contest or two - why are they being excluded when there have been RPers who have a hand in creating up to three or four games or receive staff positions, so that no matter who wins, they win anyway? I understand that in a time where there's much more of a field for contests it might have been a fair rule, but at this point if a BZPRPG staff member has a good, original, non-BZPRPG concept that can keep people drawn and interested for the length of the season, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot.

At this point, everyone should have a shot at getting something into the contest, if only to give people more of a selection. It's only fair.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Might I ask why? Two BZPRPG staff members out of the three that are left have ideas that they want to try and implement in the next contest or two - why are they being excluded when there have been RPers who have a hand in creating up to three or four games or receive staff positions, so that no matter who wins, they win anyway? I understand that in a time where there's much more of a field for contests it might have been a fair rule, but at this point if a BZPRPG staff member has a good, original, non-BZPRPG concept that can keep people drawn and interested for the length of the season, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot.

At this point, everyone should have a shot at getting something into the contest, if only to give people more of a selection. It's only fair.

-Tyler

I thought the rule in question concerning the RPG Contest submissions only applied to when a BZPRPG Staff member submitted a contest RPG, and there was nothing against them Staffing a contest RPG.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

They still can't put their own concept into the fray without giving it to someone else and taking a backseat. In the current contest climate, not only is that unfair, it's counterproductive.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

With the lack of traffic that seems to come to this forum anymore, and the known creative potential of the BZPRPG staff, it does seem a bit counterproductive to bar them from entering. That'd be the same as barring people who run OTC or Lego-based RPGs from entering, which we don't do. If somebody's capable of running multiple games, I say let them run multiple games. It really isn't fair to stop them from entering and joining in.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

With the lack of traffic that seems to come to this forum anymore, and the known creative potential of the BZPRPG staff, it does seem a bit counterproductive to bar them from entering. That'd be the same as barring people who run OTC or Lego-based RPGs from entering, which we don't do. If somebody's capable of running multiple games, I say let them run multiple games. It really isn't fair to stop them from entering and joining in.

Seconded.

I will consider changing the rules for the next contest, but they're going to stay as they are for this one.

If I may make a modest proposal - considering we're now running tri-annual, contests, we could do some sort of alternating pattern like this -

- Limited Entries. Rules as they are up above, not allowing said staff people. Allows a bit more new blood to go in.

- Unlimited Entries. Rules as they were before; anyone can enter.

- Themed Entries. As above, but with a theme put in place.

Having a set up like this might be a good way to test things out. If the 'Limited' one ends up with a bunch of dead RPGs, we know that it was a bad idea. If the 'Unlimited' one ends up with said staff people winning and being unable to manage the RPGs due to time or whatever, then the current rules have grounds. Themed Entries have been discussed to death already on who likes them and who doesn't; this isn't the place for that. I know I like them.

I'm willing to bet that some form of alternating cycle would be for the best, though.

...I forgot about Google Documents, even though I've used them before.
Or you could download LibreOffice, which is free~.

I'm going to back up this statement - LibreOffice is decent, even if it is no Microsoft Word. More importantly, it has 43% less Google spying on you than Google Docs. :D

It does have a rather annoying version of grammar check, but I

• A continuation of City of Legends. This would depend on how that game progresses in the next few months and whether it reaches a point that could springboard into a second arc (I'm looking at you, Lhikan and Lariska's teams). CoL has been great fun so far, but I worry that not having played the first iteration might be a barrier for new players wanting to join/vote. This might be overcome in how the sequel gets structured, but ehh... I'm not sure yet.
  • A re-entry of any of my past games that didn't win. Transformation, City in the Dark and Secrets and Shadows could all make a reappearance, though that last one would need some work, since I wasn't happy with how it turned out last time around. Transformation was, I think, the best of the three, but it was designed a year and a half ago for contest 24. That was a different time, when the games were getting over 20 players each, and I built Transformation to work with those numbers. I fear that in the current climate, the setup of Zakaz and the different groups present would spread the characters out too thinly, and the game would die before its time. City in the Dark could probably avoid this, and work well with only a handful of players. To sum up, if anybody liked those games enough to want them back, speak now of forever hold your peace.
  • A new idea for a game I've been working, provisionally titled The Web. It would be similar to Transformation in many ways, but designed so that it would need fewer active characters to keep it afloat. I could put more of it out there if there was interest.
  • As a bit of a joke, I wonder if it might be possible to rework Zyglak's Quest into a decent game. Set in The Pit around the time of the Great Cataclysm, with Hydraxon dead and the surviving prisoners escaping into the unknown world outside of the MU, and a band of Zyglak seeing the ruined dome as the perfect opportunity to establish a permanent Zyglak nation away from the other MU inhabitants they they so despise. Cue conflict. I would have to talk to Toa of Dancing about this one of course, since Zyglak's Quest is his intellectual property, but it might be a bit of a laugh.

I object to the portrayal of Zyglak Quest as a serious RPG of any kind. It would have to be at least somewhat humorous and self aware, you know? Unfortunately, since Roleplaying is serious business, that would be ridiculous. [/sarcasmmode]

Actually, if someone could make a decent Satire RPG, I would most assuredly vote for it. Bonus points for it being Zyglak Quest. And note, when I say satire, I mean something that's actually decent - contrasts Airplane and Disaster Movie.

Since I assume you're looking for a serious solution, however (*sigh*) then I'm going to vote on City in the Dark. Transformation is a better RPG, I feel, but you're 100% correct - if players are humidity, we're in the Sahara.

---

As for me, I probably won't be entering, but I may be playing. So good luck in advance to everyone entering this season.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

So in order to get a review, we must submit it correct?

Nah. You can go to the Construction and Design for reviews and comments, but the best reviews do indeed come after submission.

To elaborate -

The Planning Topic is where to go if you have an idea or incomplete RPG you want to put some finishing ideas on. It's generally a good place if you want to have people help flesh out the RPG with you. However, if you do have a complete RPG, you can still submit it here; in between contests, there are no review topics, so this is the only place to go. You can also submit it here if you like the RPG, but don't think you'll have time or what have you to run it ATM.

If you already have an RPG and want to submit it in the contest, you'll want to use the Review Topic. As Canis said - you'll usually get a more critical minded review or response here, which can help a lot with prettying up a topic before the contest starts.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

• 3 weeks later...

Bleh, still haven't written up the new one. Anyone object to Thirteenth Isle being entered again?

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

There shall be much plundering to come!