Discussion: Fountains of Mana

Alex Humva

Two announcements today;

Golem refinements

I'll just quote my ruling from a PM conversation

A small piece you'll notice in the opening post is that creators imbue their golems with a tiny bit of intellect. This comes from the creator's own mental reservoirs. Prolonged and continuously draining of that reservoir can lead to insanity and, eventually, death. A creator must be given time to regain their mental fortitude before continuing their practice. This works out to six in-game weeks for every batch of 5,000 golems. In addition, golems now have a set period of operational time; five in-game weeks. After this they lose their magical touch and degenerate into piles of rubble.

General reminder about ancient warfare

Distances are big in this game. Marching over them without good roads is an extreme pain. Forcing men to march with enough food to supply them for the month's journey is a recipe for discontent. It requires a superb general to keep these masses under control. Due to these difficulties, it is exceedingly unrealistic for a world war to break out in this game. Never mind communication times, unless you are a very close ally with a neighbor, it is doubtful your country will rise to their aid, not when it'll cost you money, time, and resources to do so, not to mention manpower. Wars will stay local unless something really big pops up to make people side like that, and even then, it will be a fragmented alliance due to communication times, travel times, and generally not being able to coordinate effectively.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

2 Standard Legions, 2 upkeep

1 Centaur Battalion, 1 upkeep

2 Beardog Calvary Groups, 2 upkeep

2 Griffin Squads, 2 upkeep

3 Biremes, 3 upkeep

3 Wizards(one of each type)

Project to build mines 10 EP

Ignomian gift 1 EP

29 EP

Upkeep: 10 EP

Southern Provinces Upgrade(Two of them, same date for the sake of simplicity though one would actually upgrade a bit before this): 3/26

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Nation's Name:The Republic of Vardal
Nations Characteristics: Imagine if you will, Venetian characteristics added to an expansion focused people, ethnically and culturally, like the ancient Greeks. So, I guess, sort of a weird hodge-podge of Venice and Greece. However, they're Arabian in looks. Religiously they have an assortment of Gods, the prime ones being Hiberion and Luxorae, the Gods of Farming and Riches, with other assorted gods being worshipped by those who plied certain trade
Nations Society: Vardal is a farming and maritime state, nestled in the natural harbor of the Oxos Bay, up the Oxos River, the people are well used to war, as it is technically in a rich zone that has been raided in the past. Most of the people living in the capital, Vardal, have a vested interest in sea going trade as well as fishing.
Nations Perk: Road Builders, To Holmguard and Beyond, Terror on the High Seas
Nation's Starting Units: 2 Wizards, 1 creation and 1 Alchemy, 3 Biremes (3EP Upkeep), 1 Triremes (1 EP UK), 1 Quadeirimes (3EP) , 2,500 Professional Troops (2.5EP UK), 6,000 Troops (2EP UK)

Nation's History: Originally a vassal of a large nation known as the Kingdom on the Oxos, the city of Vardal was a trade city built during the time of the Emperor Kamen Mec, although it was but a small little hamlet back then. The Republic soon grew after a large amount of merchants banded together to form a trade union and the city became a Republic then. Enraged at the apparent "traitorous" nature of the pact, despite the fact that the Vardali merchants made no claim of sovereignty, the Oxosian army was sent to crush the supposed rebellion. The Vardali sent messenger after messenger claiming peaceful intentions, but they were brushed aside as the Oxosian army came down the river. Quickly mobilizing the city's defense force, a Wizard named Gilad the Stoney led the army as he helped build a hastey fortress on the road to block the path of the Oxosian military. Soon, the Oxosians arrived at the fortress and besieged it, not being able to pass otherwise. Once they wore down the defenses, they were let in by a supposed traitor, who then let the Vardali ambush and destroy the Oxosian army. Knowing they'd send more, the Vardali military, gaining recruits from the countryside and defecting military units, slowly conquered Oxos and absorbed the whole territory. That was a hundred years ago and there seems to be no want from inside the country to ever shatter like that again.

Vardal's Pop: 121,000

Oxos' Pop: 71,000

Fort Confluence Colony: 13,000

Total Population of the Republic of Vardal: 655,000

EP Totals

+2 For Roads

+30 Industry (Farming and Fishing)

+1 Barbarian Trade

+1 Horranian Trade

-11.5 Upkeep

22.5 EP Remaining.

Ah yes, the other announcement I was forgetting; from henceforth, all new players will be awarded 15 EP for every cycle they miss. This strikes a good balance and allows them to stay competitive later on in the game. For every two cycles missed, they will be awarded a +5 to their overall EP production.

And since I need to do it myself;

CURRENT EP

• 30 EP from the Capitol Province.
  • 2 EP from Riches of the Seas.
  • 2 EP from Botanists.
  • 1 EP from trade with Vardal.

CURRENT UNITS

• 90,000 Collective's Guard (30 EP upkeep)
  • 1,000 Council's Guard (2 EP upkeep)
  • 3 wizards (0 EP upkeep)

TOTAL EP IN BANK

• 3 EP

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Beginning trade does, yes. It'll advance overtime.

Also @MoM, by missed I mean as many cycles at the new member has missed before joining the game. If a new member joins six weeks from now and there are no time skips, s/he will of missed three cycles.

General announcement: The trade mechanic has now been fully implemented. The trade chart will guide you on how to do it.

Edited by Strategist Alex Humva

voidstars.png

So, did some research and found out that iron, when compared to bronze, is actually kinda laughably weak.

Comparing the quality of bronze to iron...well...

Though bronze is generally harder than wrought iron, with Vickers hardness of 60–258[6] vs. 30–80.

So, with that in mind, I'm changing the equipment of the Leaping Mantis, which adds + 2 to their production cost and I am paying 2 EP to upgrade my existing units. Which will take four days.

I'll make an IC post when I've got the energy for it.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Probs need to do one of these sooner rather than later

Current EP

~30 EP from the Capitol Province

Current Units

~20,000 Teeth of the Realm (-10 EP)

~2,000 Talons of the Hawk (-2 EP)

~5,000 Furies of the Gods (-5 EP)

Current Projects

None

Total EP

~13

So how much was founding a new settlement again? And what improvements might I be able to spend that on...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

So, did some research and found out that iron, when compared to bronze, is actually kinda laughably weak.

Comparing the quality of bronze to iron...well...

Though bronze is generally harder than wrought iron, with Vickers hardness of 60–258[6] vs. 30–80.

So, with that in mind, I'm changing the equipment of the Leaping Mantis, which adds + 2 to their production cost and I am paying 2 EP to upgrade my existing units. Which will take four days.

I'll make an IC post when I've got the energy for it.

Iron is, of course, easier to make without a trade network, as tin and copper are rarely found together, whereas iron is a single ore which can be forged into steel.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Yeah, I probably would have run into problems if I'd started in an area with less minerals avaliable.

Probably a good thing I switched to taking inspiration from China, Korea and the like and swapped regions accordingly. Mining in a desert would not be easy work.

Also death worms.

No one wants to fight death worms in the process of their daily work. Because it would be utterly Humva to have the desert region be infested with some of these little lovies.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

The general gist of it seems to be "if we pound diamond into it, what does it do?" So in this case it is testing it's ability to resist damage from the impact. If the bronze was brittle and prone to breaking it wouldn't do very well on the test.

Also, Zhao fun fact hour. The general apperance of Zhao scale armor is akin to the armor linked below:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Samurai_hon_iyozane_dou.JPG/435px-Samurai_hon_iyozane_dou.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Hon_iyozane_maru_dou_front.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Iyozane_dou_2.JPG

With the notable difference of being made of steel and thus shiny and more metallic.

Zhao Lamellar armor tends to look like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Karuta_tatami_dou.JPG/450px-Karuta_tatami_dou.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/Karuta_tatami_dou_3.JPG/450px-Karuta_tatami_dou_3.JPG

The higher quality bronze armor would be the most like the first picture, with the low-quality armor of the Glimmering Violet Enforcers would very much resemble the second. Helmets and other features aren't included, but the gist of their apperance can be pretty much pictured with the armor

The names of these armors came from wikipedia and wikimedia, if you don't think they suit the words used to describe them, take it up with my sources. :P

Edited by Basilisk

It's alright, you'll figure it out after a few tries.

The riches of the seas will actually be about 2 EP; I'm still working on how to actually work that in with my new resource system, so for now everyone with that perk just gets a flat 2 EP increase.

So just to verify, we received our first EP income, correct? So there should be 23 EP in the bank for me to expend?

Sorry to be forgetful/lazy, but who here has sent missions to Vardal and not gotten responses due to travel time?

I'm not sure about that being exactly it, but I did send a mission to Vardal, and did say that it would take as long as you thought was best for the ship to get there. So yes, sort of.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Humva, I should have another settlement at the mouth of the river slightly southwest of my other new settlement. The river that splits in three. And I suppose that means the area between is under my influence.

Also, when do my mines finish?

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Not my job but considering Humva seems busy.

According to a conversation I've had with him, there is a one settlement policy now. You work on one settlement and wait for it to complete before building more.

Note, I could be wrong, but this is what I remember.

Edited by Basilisk

Yeah, the two settlements Silvan currently possesses is due to a clerical error.

voidstars.png

The only reason I had two Settlements was because I made a stupid mistake and forgot something in the first post. One of them is being gotten rid of.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I didn't want to have to do this, but it would be unfair to other players not to -

I expected a meh turn out for the contest over in Bionicle RPG. That did not happen, and I've got quite a bit of interest invested over there. I'm already acting a bit slowly on here, and frankly not quite as invested as I initially thought I would be (it's a bit harder to become emotionally attached to a country than a character; the naming of NPCs I hoped would avoid that, but roleplaying with yourself every post isn't as great as it seems). So rather than hold anyone else back by my no doubt being slow to post as I have been, I'm going to have to pull out of this RPG.

Fortunately, not much should change. Sherdria's more a collection of city states than an actual united nation anyways, so when the conqueres come about it can be just be an unusually difficult region to conquer or what have you. I'd rather not screw over anyone I was doing the whole trade negotiation thing with, so it would be great if they could keep some kind of trade thing going or so forth.

Anyways, this is a well made RPG, and I hope it continues to do well in the days that follow. Thank you.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Nation's Name:The Republic of Vardal

Nations Characteristics: Imagine if you will, Venetian characteristics added to an expansion focused people, ethnically and culturally, like the ancient Greeks. So, I guess, sort of a weird hodge-podge of Venice and Greece. However, they're Arabian in looks. Religiously they have an assortment of Gods, the prime ones being Hiberion and Luxorae, the Gods of Farming and Riches, with other assorted gods being worshipped by those who plied certain trade

Nations Society: Vardal is a farming and maritime state, nestled in the natural harbor of the Oxos Bay, up the Oxos River, the people are well used to war, as it is technically in a rich zone that has been raided in the past. Most of the people living in the capital, Vardal, have a vested interest in sea going trade as well as fishing.

Nations Perk: Road Builders, To Holmguard and Beyond, Terror on the High Seas

Nation's Starting Units: 2 Wizards, 1 creation and 1 Alchemy, 3 Biremes (3EP Upkeep), 1 Triremes (1 EP UK), 1 Quadeirimes (3EP) , 2,500 Professional Troops (2.5EP UK), 6,000 Troops (2EP UK)

Nation's History: Originally a vassal of a large nation known as the Kingdom on the Oxos, the city of Vardal was a trade city built during the time of the Emperor Kamen Mec, although it was but a small little hamlet back then. The Republic soon grew after a large amount of merchants banded together to form a trade union and the city became a Republic then. Enraged at the apparent "traitorous" nature of the pact, despite the fact that the Vardali merchants made no claim of sovereignty, the Oxosian army was sent to crush the supposed rebellion. The Vardali sent messenger after messenger claiming peaceful intentions, but they were brushed aside as the Oxosian army came down the river. Quickly mobilizing the city's defense force, a Wizard named Gilad the Stoney led the army as he helped build a hastey fortress on the road to block the path of the Oxosian military. Soon, the Oxosians arrived at the fortress and besieged it, not being able to pass otherwise. Once they wore down the defenses, they were let in by a supposed traitor, who then let the Vardali ambush and destroy the Oxosian army. Knowing they'd send more, the Vardali military, gaining recruits from the countryside and defecting military units, slowly conquered Oxos and absorbed the whole territory. That was a hundred years ago and there seems to be no want from inside the country to ever shatter like that again.

Vardal's Pop: 121,000

Oxos' Pop: 71,000

Fort Confluence Colony: 13,000

Total Population of the Republic of Vardal: 655,000

EP Totals

+2 For Roads

+30 Industry (Farming and Fishing)

+1 Barbarian Trade

+1 Horranian Trade

+1 Sherdian Trade

-11.5 Upkeep

+10 Silver Rain

33.5 EP Remaining.

Second Cycle

Edited by Zhangku

Report:

Income: 36+10 EP from Silver Rain.

Upkeep:11

Trade: 1

In bank: 4

Total EP: 38

Building:

Road Network done in three days.

Current Units:

2x Creation Mages

1x Battle Mage

1x Alchemist

1x Swooping Crane

2x Striking Wolf

2x Leaping Mantis

1x Enforcers

5x Terracotta Men

2x Biremes.

My navy continues to not exist. Thank goodness for the mainland.

Edited by Basilisk

Economic Breakdown as of 2/4/14

Grain Farming: 8
Fruit Farming and Wineries: 4
Fishing: 14(Base 10, Upgraded to 11 from project, +3 from Perk)
Lumberjacking: 4
Mining: 4
Gemstones from the Deserted Island: 5
EP Being Withdrawn from Treasury: 6
Total: 45 EP
Spending
Unit Upkeeps: 21
Four Biremes: 4
Four Triremes: 4
Two Quadriremes: 6
One Quinquereme: 3
Firetongue Guard: 1
3 Regiments of Soldiers: 3
Unit Construction: 0
Queue of 11 Wizards: (1/7)[1/11]
Projects: 20
Establishing a Military Academy: 10(1/28)
Lumberjacking Industry Improvement: 10(24/28)

Total Spending: 41/45

EP Bank

36 Stored EP

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

EP report

Gained this cycle: 32 + 10 Silver Rain

Upkeep: 6 EP- 3 Thanes divisions

Projects: 10 EP- Academy

32+10-6-10=26

Already in bank: 28

Total: 54

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Alright; the time for the game's first time skip has arrived. The RPG is being flung three in-game years into the future; for player purposes, this translates to 11 cycles passing. A few guidelines for dealing with this time skip

• You may build units and upgrades that took effect during the time skip; however, I trust you to do the leg work and actually work out how you spent your money and if it was possible. If something seems suspicious I'll request your calculations. Basilisk, for instance, provided a truly huge log of what he did and all his calculations.
  • If you wish to have done with other players during the time skip, feel free to contact them and work something out.
  • For this time skip, one specific modifier applies; wizard production was slowed from one week to two weeks, i.e. one cycle to produce. This means a maximum of 11 wizards this time skip could have been produced.

Now, for a particularly important announcement

Maximum EP Per Province Imposed

Due to the realization that due to exponential growth, one can upgrade their provinces very rapidly, I'm hereby imposing a cap on per province income. The caps will be 200 EP for the capital province and 150 EP for all other provinces. Upon reaching a cap, that province can be upgraded no further; however, there is no national EP cap. In order to continue earning more EP you will need to settle new provinces. Keep in mind that national bonuses, such as trade and roads, do not factor into province EP; they are counted for national EP. This means players will have to keep better records, but once you initially figure it out, calculating these things in the future will be basic arithmetic.

Income For Starting Players

Due to the astronomical growth we will see, starting players will now be assigned a starting income equal to 90% of the median average economy in this game. They will be granted additional provinces as needed to comply with the above ruling.

Feel free to ask questions if you're confused. I'm also offering free consultations on how to apply economic upgrades over the time skip; I can't promise you they're be precise or the most min-maxed but they should keep you up with the game.

voidstars.png

Post-timeskip EP report.

EP Bank

174 Stored EP

PRODUCTION

Varsyria: 150

Fishing: 150

Balidor: 150

Agriculture: 150

Shial: 150

Grain Farming: 8

Fruit Farming and Wineries: 4

Lumberjacking: 9(Base 4, +5 from Projects)

Mining: 4

Gemstones from the Deserted Island: 5

Subtotall: 30

Fishing: 120(Base 10, +97 from Projects, +13 from Perk)

Total: 450 EP

Spending

Unit Upkeeps: 232

4 Biremes: 4

94 Triremes: 94

Two Quadriremes: 6

One Quinquereme: 3

Firetongue Guard: 1

18 Regiments of Soldiers: 18

United Banking System: 1

Unit Construction:

15 Quinqueremes: 105(14/21)

Projects: 0

Total Spending: 450-337=+113

-Rover