Worst BIONICLE character

Hi guys, LordofBionicles here!

Time for my first topic of 2014, I was just wondering, which do you think is the worst character we have seen so far?

Is there someone that you despise? Or that you don't like to see in the story very often? maybe he's obnoxious or you felt dissapointed towards him/her.

I am not saying that there is a character that ruined BIONICLE or anything like that but, I believe there can be some characters who are not as good as some of the others.

I personally don't feel Keetongu is such a great character, I mean his only reason of existence was for the Toa Hordika to find a way to get back to their Toa Metru forms, I can imagine the story team thinking:

"Well we need some kind of cure for the Hordika venom, what should it be?"

-How about the Remove Posion Kanoka?

"No, too easy"

-How about Roodaka's Rhotuka?

"No, save that for the Rahaga"

-Well if we don't know the cure then how about a character who knows it for us?-

"Brilliant!".

Plus I´m not sure I buy the idea that his strenght can rival that of a Makuta, I don't think Keetongu could beat Icarax in that sense.

So how about you? Please leave your opinion and comments below.

Edited by LordofBionicles
  • Upvote 1

Hmm not really sure. There were characters that I didn't like because they were evil, but not really many because I thought they were bad characters to put in the story. Matau and Takua were pretty annoying I guess, but in a likeable way :L

I never liked Sidorak much I guess. Especially his movie version, but I feel he was right for the story in general.

I suppose Ahkmou irritated me because he was just a bad egg. The way he just happened to be the one Terry found up to Mata Nui so he was bad again annoyed me. It gets me that he's basically the only really rotten Matoran (I guess there's Vultraz, but he's a Shadow Matoran, and he had that feud with Mazeka, and his environment was pretty tough), and he seems more evil because Lego want a bad egg rather than a believable, misunderstood but misguided character. You could argue against it but that's just how I feel about the matter.

I wouldn't say I hate him, but Vezon was really annoying at times. I would have much preferred a Joker-esque character like the early promo material implied he was, instead we got a Deadpool clone, minus everything that makes Deadpool cool or actually funny.

The 2008 Makuta, especially Gorast, felt short on characterization and very much like filler. Except for Mutran, who wrote the Mutran Chronicles and had some really cool battle strategy against Kopaka.

I don't recall any characters being particularly obnoxious or annoying, just a bunch that didn't live up to their potential in the story - and there were so very many of them. That's not to say that all characters need bucketloads of character development, it's just that some of the 2008 Makuta seemed to have forced-out shallow personalities to avoid exploration. Antroz, for example.

Vezon was really annoying, but only in the serials. I didn't mind him in the Ignition plot.

In terms of characterization, I felt like the Barraki were really lacking for canister set characters. They only had one year of showtime, during which their entire backstory was dumped on us in one go without paying enough attention to their actual personalities. Especially Mantax, Ehlek and Carapar.

I agree that Keetongu is basically mister plot device. So it's either him or Sidorak, maybe my expanded universe knowledge is lacking about him but from what I know the guy does absolutely nothing, in the film he's essentially a comic relief villain and had no bearing on the plot.

35aj3ex.jpg

Drinks moons, devours suns. Twirls his thumbs 'till the reaper comes.

I agree that Keetongu is basically mister plot device. So it's either him or Sidorak, maybe my expanded universe knowledge is lacking about him but from what I know the guy does absolutely nothing, in the film he's essentially a comic relief villain and had no bearing on the plot.

He was a bit more competant in the comics I think. He seemed stronger there, and you got a sense he was cleverer, in the sense that he had to be competent to claim so much credit for the work of others to the extent that the Makuta actually appointed him King of the Visorak.

Vezon would have been better if it weren't for all the Farshtey favoritism.

Vezon started off okay, and was pretty good for like the first half of his appearance in the serials. By Destiny War, he was starting to grow old, and then became just annoying in whatever followed that.

Hmm not really sure. There were characters that I didn't like because they were evil, but not really many because I thought they were bad characters to put in the story. Matau and Takua were pretty annoying I guess, but in a likeable way :L

I never liked Sidorak much I guess. Especially his movie version, but I feel he was right for the story in general.

I love Takua's character. Not really a fan of Matau, 'specially in LoMN, where I think he was one of the movie's weaker points, but he could have been worse.

I'd have to agree with Sidorak. He was a pretty useless character, and we didn't get to know him too well, except for in WoS, where he was just a bumbling idiot.

I kinda don't like Hakann, but that's mostly a bias due to my friends constantly arguing with me, claiming that he is the leader of the Piraka because he is red and other nonesense :P

I agree that the 2008 Makuta did not get enough characterization and backstory, as well as that some of the Barraki were not very well fleshed out. That said, that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Akhmou kind of bugs me, but only in the way that some of the villains that perpetrate horrible deeds (Akhmou, Nidhiki, other Dark Hunters) cannot be retaliated against because of plot armor and for the sake of keeping Bionicle all kid-friendly.

I actually liked Sidorak and felt bad for him.

I have to say in particular, I was really bugged about Gorast's blindly faithful and zealous pro-Teridax mentality, alongside the crew of Makuta who helped kill Icarax and Krika - both of the "renegade" Makuta have more to them than being simply evil, so the others really should have gotten more personality than "yAy TeRiDaX!1!".

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Honestly, I felt bad for Sidorak since it felt like he had been underappriciated.

Vezon honestly needed more of a Joker personality that the Deadpool style mind he was given.

I think the idea LEGO had to turn Akhmou into a Shadow Matoran in 2008 would have been fantastic and given him some more character deveplopment (And caused me to possibly hate the slimeball even more).

Keetongu however seemed like he was needed, minus curing the Toa Hordika in the 2005 storyline.

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

They dropped the ball on movie Sidorak. Big time. If I were pulling the strings, Sidorak would be an extreme character to watch, but that's getting off topic. I just wish he was done better. He's a potentially great character, but instead we got a teddy bear.

Keetongu was also potentially great, but he only served one purpose. Why can't he serve another? Sure, he killed Sidorak in the movie, but I think even a Visorak was capable of that.

I'm not sure why Vultraz exists. Seems like he and Mazeka were only useful for a side story and extra pocket money from sets.

mindeth the cobwebs

I agree that the 2008 Makuta did not get enough characterization and backstory, as well as that some of the Barraki were not very well fleshed out. That said, that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Akhmou kind of bugs me, but only in the way that some of the villains that perpetrate horrible deeds (Akhmou, Nidhiki, other Dark Hunters) cannot be retaliated against because of plot armor and for the sake of keeping Bionicle all kid-friendly.

I actually liked Sidorak and felt bad for him.

I have to say in particular, I was really bugged about Gorast's blindly faithful and zealous pro-Teridax mentality, alongside the crew of Makuta who helped kill Icarax and Krika - both of the "renegade" Makuta have more to them than being simply evil, so the others really should have gotten more personality than "yAy TeRiDaX!1!".

Antroz had a bit, Chirox had a little, and Mutran had a decent amount (which probably doesn't even count considering his character mostly consists of insanity)... but I agree, they should've had more. Vamprah and Bitil were quite the flat characters. :P

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Vezon was just an unfortunate victim of Flanderization, I think. His more comedic qualities just became too prominent the further he progressed in the serials, and they overshadowed the more dangerous aspects of his insanity. Sadly it's a really easy mistake to make for writers, especially for a character that turns out as popular as Vezon did.

That being said, there weren't really any characters that I hated. Wasn't a fan of movie Sidorak, since they ditched the strategist part of him that was evident in the books.

rahkshi_symbol.png

They dropped the ball on movie Sidorak. Big time. If I were pulling the strings, Sidorak would be an extreme character to watch, but that's getting off topic. I just wish he was done better. He's a potentially great character, but instead we got a teddy bear.

Keetongu was also potentially great, but he only served one purpose. Why can't he serve another? Sure, he killed Sidorak in the movie, but I think even a Visorak was capable of that.

I'm not sure why Vultraz exists. Seems like he and Mazeka were only useful for a side story and extra pocket money from sets.

Totally agree with you The Taker, and speaking of characters who weren't well portrayed in movies what do you guys think about Tuma?

Like Sidorak he had the responsability of being the year's main villain and although he wasn't as dissapointing as poor Sidorak I think he could have shown more of his personality in TLR, in the scene where he appears in Tajun he could have given a speech about his plans or deeds something like that.

Totally agree with you The Taker, and speaking of characters who weren't well portrayed in movies what do you guys think about Tuma?

Like Sidorak he had the responsability of being the year's main villain and although he wasn't as dissapointing as poor Sidorak I think he could have shown more of his personality in TLR, in the scene where he appears in Tajun he could have given a speech about his plans or deeds something like that.

I didn't like movie Tuma. Sure, his fight scene was exciting, but also disappointing. The overall character was cheesy, though. I can sum it all up in less than five quotes. "Herp derp, I am ze mitee TOOMUH!" "Imposhiber! I am ze mitee Toomuh!" "Nuhbuddy can deaffeet ze mitee Toomuh!" While this may be inaccurate, he was still a cheesy character that I could have written much better. And these 3 quotes sum him up in a nutshell.

They really did drop the ball on Tuma. Even Metus was a better villain than him because you would barely suspect Metus!

mindeth the cobwebs

I didn't like movie Tuma. Sure, his fight scene was exciting, but also disappointing. The overall character was cheesy, though. I can sum it all up in less than five quotes. "Herp derp, I am ze mitee TOOMUH!" "Imposhiber! I am ze mitee Toomuh!" "Nuhbuddy can deaffeet ze mitee Toomuh!" While this may be inaccurate, he was still a cheesy character that I could have written much better. And these 3 quotes sum him up in a nutshell.

They really did drop the ball on Tuma. Even Metus was a better villain than him because you would barely suspect Metus!

**recovers from laughing at the Tuma imitation**

Yeah, movie-Tuma is in pretty much the same layer of character horrible-ness as Sidorak. In the comics and such I viewed him as a powerful character, but apparently all Mata Nui (in the movie) had to do was stab him in the back? Weird.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

**recovers from laughing at the Tuma imitation**

Yeah, movie-Tuma is in pretty much the same layer of character horrible-ness as Sidorak. In the comics and such I viewed him as a powerful character, but apparently all Mata Nui (in the movie) had to do was stab him in the back? Weird.

You're right Master of all Kopekes, what's even weirder is that the movie shows Tuma's armor with some kind of malfunction but that would mean that his armor is mechanical and works with some kind of energy when in reality it should just be a normal steel-made kind of armor since Tuma is not biomechanical.

I disagree with that. Metus had "traitor" written all over him, always trying to undermine Mata Nui's intentions from the very beginning of the film. "State your business." Is that a threat? Then he tries too hard to cover up his nervousness with jokes.

He stands out early as a being that values commerce over principle. By the time he ran up to talk about Kiina being missing I knew he was a traitor - why would a businessman care about Kiina and Berix? Unless you kidnapped them yourself and are trying to lure the good guys into a trap. Classic OOC giveaway.

Edited by fishers64

A lot of the characters before 2004 were quite underdeveloped and only the most important ones were elaborated upon later. It wasn't until 2004 that the story really took off, but older characters like the Bahrag didn't get much development.

Also, the various movies turned Krekka, Sidorak, and Tuma into generic bad guys.

aouROFb.png

errrm... Tahu? Hehe

Movie sidorak was... ptiful. In my opinion sidorak should have been really (physically) strong, Incredibly fast, with MASSIVE anger managment issues. Also, some scene where he kills a visorak. Brutally. Just because it failed him in some minor mission.

Tuma: (see paragraph for sidorak)

Karzhani (person) really bugged me, so did... the red piraka. Wow, I just forgot his name. Wow.

If you think that godzilla is NOT awesome, you're either crazy,

or one of the many people who got trodden on while he was saving the world.

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Most of the Barraki could have been written much better.

Most Toa teams are too one-dimensional for me.

Sidorak could have been done WAAAAAAY better.

Umbra seemed pretty boring to me.

I don't consider Umbra to be boring, I Iiked how he could turn into light and hope Takanuva learns it too one day. But I agree it's a bit silly that he's inside the Great Spirit Robot just waiting for someone to return the Kanohi Ignika, which will never happen.

I think Axonn seemed to be pretty full of himself. Axonn: Toa team, nah to good for them. Let me and my muscles stair at you condescendingly.

That's... that's not really what Axonn did though. He wasn't a Toa, which is why he wasn't part of a Toa team. :P He was actually pretty useful in-story. Guiding the Inika/Mahri team and whatnot, fending off Brutaka after his betrayal, being generally awesome, et cetera. :lol:

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits