Why We Have Prototypes

I have noticed that most prototypes we have may still be here because they were unable to be recycled. These three points are probably the reason why.

1. They have multiple colors blended together

2. They are made with an experimental color

3. They are made with a non-recyclable material such as rubber.

The only other reasons we may have them is simply because they had kept them as a reminder, but were then sold or given away.

I say we are lucky to get the amount of pieces we already have, considering most others get recycled or locked away.

A lot of prototypes were test parts for sets that were never made, or were eventually made much differently than the initial plan. For example, it is my personal belief that the prototype Carapar-color Strakk helmet would've been used for the Element Lord of Rock, or something like that, that never ended up being produced. There's a gold-blended Tarix out there too. So there are a lot of prototypes sitting around that were never used, yes. And then, what's Lego going to do with these parts? Destroy them? Nah... so they give them away.

Pretty sure that's it.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

A lot of prototypes were test parts for sets that were never made, or were eventually made much differently than the initial plan. For example, it is my personal belief that the prototype Carapar-color Strakk helmet would've been used for the Element Lord of Rock, or something like that, that never ended up being produced. There's a gold-blended Tarix out there too. So there are a lot of prototypes sitting around that were never used, yes. And then, what's Lego going to do with these parts? Destroy them? Nah... so they give them away.

Pretty sure that's it.

Actually, it is policy in the LEGO Group (confirmed here) to destroy most prototypes because they may not be up to the same safety and quality standards as finished parts, and so having them out of the LEGO Group's hands could reflect badly on the company and result in liabilities. I believe they made an exception for BZPower just because they were convinced that the site would greatly appreciate them, and because as the original poster points out, the blended elements might not be recyclable. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Pretty sure that's it.

It could aslo be that they were experimenting with which colors may have worked the best, or testing the color distribution of marbled items to make sure they weren't oddly colored.

A lot of prototypes were test parts for sets that were never made, or were eventually made much differently than the initial plan. For example, it is my personal belief that the prototype Carapar-color Strakk helmet would've been used for the Element Lord of Rock, or something like that, that never ended up being produced. There's a gold-blended Tarix out there too. So there are a lot of prototypes sitting around that were never used, yes. And then, what's Lego going to do with these parts? Destroy them? Nah... so they give them away.Pretty sure that's it.

Actually, it is policy in the LEGO Group (confirmed here) to destroy most prototypes because they may not be up to the same safety and quality standards as finished parts, and so having them out of the LEGO Group's hands could reflect badly on the company and result in liabilities.
I must admit I'm quite surprised to hear that.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

A lot of prototypes were test parts for sets that were never made, or were eventually made much differently than the initial plan. For example, it is my personal belief that the prototype Carapar-color Strakk helmet would've been used for the Element Lord of Rock, or something like that, that never ended up being produced. There's a gold-blended Tarix out there too. So there are a lot of prototypes sitting around that were never used, yes. And then, what's Lego going to do with these parts? Destroy them? Nah... so they give them away.Pretty sure that's it.

Actually, it is policy in the LEGO Group (confirmed here) to destroy most prototypes because they may not be up to the same safety and quality standards as finished parts, and so having them out of the LEGO Group's hands could reflect badly on the company and result in liabilities.

Yes, same here.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Yes, same here.

I would imagine that if you work in set design for Lego, creating prototype parts is just another part of your job. At the end of the day, most of these parts, while interesting are at the end of the day inferior to what Lego puts out for their sets.

sb1.png

Thanks to Argetlam for the Banner

Notice that most if not all bionicle prototypes given away are from the latest stages of prototyping. Many of them are simply recolors from nearly finalized molds. You don't see them giving us the clay sculpted or super glued prototypes.

Edited by Ziontyro Metalhead

Well, besides die hard prototype collectors, I can't see anyone wanting those.

That, and I doubt that they are meant to exist for long, just to give a general idea about the look of the set.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!