Regarding Avatars

That Matoran with a Vahi

I'm going to sound like a total cool dude or newb or both for asking this, but I simply cannot figure out how to set my avatar on here since the site got redecorated - the only option I have is for changing my profile pic. Are they the same thing now? And if that is the case, then I'm still confused because the profile pic upload window says that the image is recommended to be larger than 200px - but the image guidelines say that avatar limits are still 64x64 pixels. Could someone offer me some clarification on this matter, please?

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Yes, the update to the forum software made both Profile Pictures and Avatars be the same thing now. Also, avatar sizes are 100 x 100 now; but, here's the thing: The software auto-resizes the avatars to that size, from the 200 x 200 picture(Or larger) that you upload. This is because it is made smaller for things like the avatar photo next to the posting screen and things like that. Black Six explained that there is no option to adjust size limits, and that would be because the software pretty much can't allow dynamic limits, from what I understand. So, as has been mentioned in one of the other topics, there is only a filesize limit(100 KB, shared between sigs and avatars) now.

That's... A good question. I'm not sure; theoretically animated PNGs or GIFs would work, but I'm not sure if the whole resize deal and actual file size would allow that. If anyone has a better answer, that would be nice to find out, however. =) /EDIT; No-one saw the Quetsion, so it doesn't exist. *Sweeps typo under rug*

Edited by Fullbringer Blade

Oh, thanks ^^ Just out of curiosity, can animated images be used for the avatar/profile pic - providing their filesize is low enough - or does this software not permit that?

This is an interesting question. Apparently, in the first 3.2.0 (BZP uses 3.2.1, so all of this should apply to this site) IPB beta, animated photos were given the boot because of the feature that displays users' photos/avatars on the board index; having the forum page become filled with moving thumbnails would cause quite the headache. Then it was decided to disable animation for the thumbnails only, and to allow it to play while viewing a profile, topic, calendar event, announcement... Fullbringer is right to mention the cropping feature and its effect on animated images, because it does sound like it wouldn't work. However, people have claimed that it did work on some test boards, and that the cropping feature did not freeze the animation. However, if, when uploading the photo, the board automatically resizes it because its dimensions are too large, then the animation would become frozen, even on the member's profile page. So what happened next is they installed a setting "Allow animated GIFs in photos?" into the Admin CP. If this option were enabled, any animated photos uploaded that were not resized would appear as animated thumbnails on the board index, and as animated avatars in the topic view. I do not know if it has been enabled on BZPower. If my source (which appears to include actual IPB coders) is correct, regardless of whether the option is enabled, photos displayed on a member's profile page should always animate. Long story short: Animated GIFs should work as photos and should animate when seen on a member's profile page if they are not automatically resized. It is unlikely that they will work when seen as avatars and thumbnails on the forums, because it may be that has been disabled on BZP. So feel free to upload one, provided that it fit within the 100kB limit. If it doesn't work at all, well, I'll know not to trust IPS trackers and this entire post will be for nothing. In any case, please use the Pictures Topic for any further image-related questions. Edited by -Windrider-

I'd like to note something I just discovered: You guys can see my avatar right? Good. It's a 128x128 image. When uploaded, it displayed as nothing, but I just realized when posting that it appears to display on the forums without any problem, however, since it's smaller than 200x200, it won't be displayed as my profile pic. But it's useable, which is the important thing.If someone would like to experiment with an image smaller than 100x100, I'd like to hear from him/her.

"Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

Credit to Surreality for the banner, and to bonesiii, Black Six and Binkmeister for the Proto Boosts!