• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

Why do limbs break so easily?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Phovos

Phovos
  • Members
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,222 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 08 2014 - 08:48 AM

Most of my pieces are broken now. I think it's because of the hot, humid, dusty weather here, but I am certain that pieces from 2006 and later break more than before then. My Tahnok-Kal celebrates his 11th birthday this August and a lot of his parts have had to be replaced, but the same applies to my Tahu Stars, which I can no longer even build because all but one of his limbs snapped, one of his hands snapped and his head snapped. The only remaining pieces I have are his body, mask, sword and feet.

5QddjMh.png
"Don't worry, it's non-alcoholic wine. Us Threavok don't drink."
The Bohrok-Kal's Ramblings has been rebooted! Click here to read it!

#42 Offline The Kumquat Alchemist

The Kumquat Alchemist
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 36 posts

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 08:55 AM

Most of my pieces are broken now. I think it's because of the hot, humid, dusty weather here, but I am certain that pieces from 2006 and later break more than before then. My Tahnok-Kal celebrates his 11th birthday this August and a lot of his parts have had to be replaced, but the same applies to my Tahu Stars, which I can no longer even build because all but one of his limbs snapped, one of his hands snapped and his head snapped. The only remaining pieces I have are his body, mask, sword and feet.

This is why my Tahu star holds the honoured position of the always-assembled; being such an iconic figure, and one of the last BIONICLE toys ever released, I decided to keep him together for fear of broken limbs.

Get out of my dreams, Freud!

#43 Offline Tattorack

Tattorack
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 275 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 01:29 PM

Pre-2006 are made of a kind of more oily plastic.

I have the sense that the older parts are softer or more "pasty" somehow in my fingers.

The newer Bionicle parts felt "dead", they are very unmoving and quite brittle. "Stronger" parts is complete nonsense, they're thinner at the parts where the ball goes in.

deep_space_banner_by_tattorack-d7dqxbw.p

"Because it submerges in a marine enviroment I'm going to call it a safely-go-under-the -water-without-detection device"

-Leonard of Quirm

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

#44 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 03:47 PM

I have the sense that the older parts are softer or more "pasty" somehow in my fingers.

The newer Bionicle parts felt "dead", they are very unmoving and quite brittle. "Stronger" parts is complete nonsense, they're thinner at the parts where the ball goes in.

The plastic formulation never changed in the way you described or to the degree you described.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#45 Offline Unikitty Tekulo

Unikitty Tekulo
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Illusory Instigator

• 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 04:02 PM

I ended up sacrificing Matoro

My Matoro beat me to it...  =P

But, yes, I have had many issues with sets from 06 onwards where their limbs would break.  Some of them even broke when I first put the set together.  My Tahu Star's set had both ends of the socket for his leg broken so I can't even put him completely back together.  It was too late at the time it happened to order a replacement piece, so now he is forever hopping along to save the day.

Even so, I have never had this problem with slizers or from any sets between 01 through 05.

#46 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 765 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 04:47 PM

I noticed it more once they switched over to the smoothed-over concave parts, instead of the ones with visible grooves.

Meaning, a change from this style:

32174.png

To this style:

60176.1206079819.jpg

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Now, updated frequently[ish] again)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy.

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#47 Offline Tattorack

Tattorack
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 275 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 05:44 PM

The plastic formulation never changed in the way you described or to the degree you described.

Not true, both plastics burn differantly.

(Tested with a candle and a part that broke off a black newer piece, and one older part that had a pretty solid impact during an accident).

I noticed it more once they switched over to the smoothed-over concave parts, instead of the ones with visible grooves.

32174.png

To this style:

60176.1206079819.jpg

And it was a change for the worse.

I really do not understand how the new piece can be considered more reenforced...

"Because it submerges in a marine enviroment I'm going to call it a safely-go-under-the -water-without-detection device"

-Leonard of Quirm

#48 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 06:59 PM

Not true, both plastics burn differantly.
(Tested with a candle and a part that broke off a black newer piece, and one older part that had a pretty solid impact during an accident).

32174.png

To this style:
60176.1206079819.jpg

And it was a change for the worse.
I really do not understand how the new piece can be considered more reenforced...

If you have pictures of your "flame test" I'd be interested in seeing them. The only change in plastic formulation over the course of Bionicle's run was the shift from pre-dyed plastic granulate to uncolored plastic granulate with dye added during production. That shouldn't have changed the way the parts burned, so assuming you're actually comparing two ABS parts (and not, say, an ABS part and a Polycarbonate part), they should have pretty much the same properties.

As for the second style of ball cup, it is only more reinforced in that it does not flex as much due to the lack of slots on the side. This is by most accounts a bad thing, since while it made unbroken joints slightly firmer, the slots relieved stress and the lack of them meant that the new versions tended to break more through ordinary use. The new style from Hero Factory (and the earlier style from Ben 10 limbs) also lacks slots but Lego had the good sense to significantly thicken the ends of the cup so that they would no longer crack.

Edited by Lyichir, Apr 09 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#49 Offline Tattorack

Tattorack
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 275 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 07:47 PM

As for the second style of ball cup, it is only more reinforced in that it does not flex as much due to the lack of slots on the side. This is by most accounts a bad thing, since while it made unbroken joints slightly firmer, the slots relieved stress and the lack of them meant that the new versions tended to break more through ordinary use. The new style from Hero Factory (and the earlier style from Ben 10 limbs) also lacks slots but Lego had the good sense to significantly thicken the ends of the cup so that they would no longer crack.

Here's wishing they'd done that a little sooner <_<

-Leonard of Quirm

#50 Offline Bioni-Man

Bioni-Man
  • Members
  • Toa

• 170 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, me and my buddy agree that one of the best things that came from HF was their "invincible" joints :P

:hau:  

#51 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,379 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 09 2014 - 08:19 PM

Well, you know what they say — hindsight is 20/20. I imagine part of the reason the LEGO Group held off on thickening the ends of the ball cup is that they wanted the holes on the sides of the ball cup to fit a Technic pin or axle. That's not possible with the new Hero Factory Y-joints or other parts with the current style of ball cup. Nor is it possible with the ball cups in the Ben 10 sets, which were similarly reinforced but still had flat ends like the BIONICLE and Hero Factory ball cups between 2008 and 2010.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#52 Offline Tahu Nuva 3.0

Tahu Nuva 3.0
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,622 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 12:33 AM

I know your pain. This has kept me from MOCing with any of the newer parts from 2008+. Its a shame.,..

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. The one I had since childhood was lost at sea (no joke). Please let me know if you have one. Will purchase/trade.

#53 Offline Tattorack

Tattorack
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 275 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 04:25 AM

Well, you know what they say — hindsight is 20/20. I imagine part of the reason the LEGO Group held off on thickening the ends of the ball cup is that they wanted the holes on the sides of the ball cup to fit a Technic pin or axle. That's not possible with the new Hero Factory Y-joints or other parts with the current style of ball cup. Nor is it possible with the ball cups in the Ben 10 sets, which were similarly reinforced but still had flat ends like the BIONICLE and Hero Factory ball cups between 2008 and 2010.

But.. what was the problem keeping the older type sockets?? I wouldn't dare putting an axel through 2008 type parts; tried it once on a perfectly good piece and the part litteraly burst appart there!

I know your pain. This has kept me from MOCing with any of the newer parts from 2008+. Its a shame.,..

Those are unfortunately the majority of the socket parts I have...

-Leonard of Quirm

#54 Offline Phovos

Phovos
  • Members

• 4,222 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 04:40 AM

Can I just say, kudos to those silver Bohrok-Kal hand pieces. They're my oldest pieces yet they're also the least broken and suffered the least from loss of friction. I've found though that not only do the ball joint thingies break, but the top of the cross socket thing also has a nasty habit of snapping off. About 70% of all my hand parts have suffered from this, greatly reducing my MOC skills.

5QddjMh.png

#55 Offline Dragonstar7

Dragonstar7
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,813 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 06:34 PM

Those 2008 parts just messed everything up.

#56 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Flying Force!

• 2,415 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 10 2014 - 07:44 PM

Can I just say, kudos to those silver Bohrok-Kal hand pieces. They're my oldest pieces yet they're also the least broken and suffered the least from loss of friction. I've found though that not only do the ball joint thingies break, but the top of the cross socket thing also has a nasty habit of snapping off. About 70% of all my hand parts have suffered from this, greatly reducing my MOC skills.

I don't know if it's just that particular silver plastic, but mine have survived as well and are still doing a great job. If it proves anything, it's that years and years down the line the Bohrok-Kal are still tough to beat :P

Edited by Pomegranate, Apr 10 2014 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image                                                                                                                      .

#57 Offline The Kumquat Alchemist

The Kumquat Alchemist
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 36 posts

Posted Apr 11 2014 - 12:14 AM

Oh, Phovos, I share this pain, the problem of the upper cross-pin holder breaking.

I had a fine collection of Throwbots once, and now whenever I even make a sideways glance at my beautiful teal and purple socket pieces, the tops crack down the middle, lose all ability to hold a technic pin firmly, and eventually snap off completely. What's worse, I fear every socket of mine, old, 2008, and HF, will suffer the same fate, since LEGO has never (to my knowledge) changed the shape of that upper portion.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist, Apr 11 2014 - 12:15 AM.

Get out of my dreams, Freud!

#58 Offline Tattorack

Tattorack
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 275 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 11 2014 - 06:38 AM

I don't know if it's just that particular silver plastic, but mine have survived as well and are still doing a great job. If it proves anything, it's that years and years down the line the Bohrok-Kal are still tough to beat :P

I got blacl, white, dark green, and blue parts from 2002 and 2003 that work as stiff as ever and don't have a scratch on them ^^

-Leonard of Quirm

#59 Offline dragonzrmetal

dragonzrmetal
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 71 posts

Posted Apr 11 2014 - 06:46 AM

I've found the new hand parts from the glatorian tend to crack, did anyone else find that?

rw17vBD.jpg

#60 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 11 2014 - 12:00 PM

I've found the new hand parts from the glatorian tend to crack, did anyone else find that?

They have the same fragile joints as the other 2008 parts with ball cups, so yes, they would break about as often.

#61 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 765 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 11 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hmm. For me, several of them have broken.

Weird.

But I've also noticed that some brown hand pieces (from 2006 maybe?) break easily.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Now, updated frequently[ish] again)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy.

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#62 Offline Phovos

Phovos
  • Members

• 4,222 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 12 2014 - 04:58 AM

Oh, Phovos, I share this pain, the problem of the upper cross-pin holder breaking.

I had a fine collection of Throwbots once, and now whenever I even make a sideways glance at my beautiful teal and purple socket pieces, the tops crack down the middle, lose all ability to hold a technic pin firmly, and eventually snap off completely. What's worse, I fear every socket of mine, old, 2008, and HF, will suffer the same fate, since LEGO has never (to my knowledge) changed the shape of that upper portion.

To be fair, some of my Bohrok-Kal pieces have broken, but compared to other sets which I have lots of *coughToaNuvaToaMetruBarakicough*, they're far better.

Pretty much all my sockets though have suffered this fate. Even newer HF pieces, I've got quite a few broken ones. I am STUPIDLY careful with my parts, so it can't be negligence, I don't know what it is that makes SO MANY of my parts snap and break.

Oh yay, 4200th post.

Edited by Phovos, Apr 12 2014 - 04:58 AM.

5QddjMh.png

#63 Offline BionicleBordeaux

BionicleBordeaux
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 10 posts

Posted Apr 12 2014 - 11:30 AM

Well…at least eBay is there for you..

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

#64 Offline Flamewing Studios

Flamewing Studios
  • Members
  • Toa

• 180 posts

Posted Apr 12 2014 - 02:28 PM

Well…at least eBay is there for you..

Bricklink is still better :P

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

"Most quotes on the Internet are not genuine."

-Abraham Lincoln

I used to go by Arzaki.

My game

#65 Offline Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,379 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 12 2014 - 03:24 PM

To be fair, some of my Bohrok-Kal pieces have broken, but compared to other sets which I have lots of *coughToaNuvaToaMetruBarakicough*, they're far better.

Pretty much all my sockets though have suffered this fate. Even newer HF pieces, I've got quite a few broken ones. I am STUPIDLY careful with my parts, so it can't be negligence, I don't know what it is that makes SO MANY of my parts snap and break.

Oh yay, 4200th post.

Yeah, some of my Bohrok-Kal feet have broken, so I don't think there's anything especially resilient about that silver plastic.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users