Bzprpg - Ko-Wahi

Friar Tuck

Ic: It was nightfall in the Massif. The stony keep of the little village was little more than an octagonal tower with parapets, and a curtain wall encircled the tower and the handful of cobblestone houses nestled in the village for protection. It was peaceful at last. The chimney from the keep spat out handfuls of sparks into the dark air and inside the tower was Antrim and those he had helped rescue.

Korero was lying on a cot in one of the small rooms, decreed to be stable and recovering by the town's doctor. He was wrapped in blankets to protect him from the cold air of winter that frequently flowed from the mountains that hung so close. Oreius was nestled comfortably in a chair by the roaring fire, staring into the flickering flames in pensive concentration. Stannis, meanwhile, was with his toa-protector on another level.

"Tell me about your friends," Antrim said as he polished the greatsword with an oiled cloth with careful streaks. The illumination of a lantern on a stout wooden table spread about the room, kept warm by heatstones mounted on the walls, making a comfortable insulation.

"My companions?" Stannis said, perking up. He hadn't been around much since he returned, spending several hours in what was still technically his hut. He returned to the keep to check on the other two matoran and, once he had seen they were well, was beckoned by his hero to join him elsewhere. "They are Oreius and Korero. Oreius was a Ta-Koro guardsman and is a--"

"Has he sacrificed his Duty?" Antrim queried with serious tone.

"No..." Stannis said. "He is no deserter. He has found that his Duty extends beyond the realms of fire." Antrim seemed satisfied by this reply and remained silent, letting Stannis continue with his introductions by proxy. "Oreius is one of five others Chosen by Mata Nui to champion His cause. As far as I can discern he is a man of truth and fact, but I have not spoken to him of this in days."

"One of five others?" Antrim asked. He looked up at the Pa-Matoran and it had the effect of pointing a finger at him. He expected a reply.

"Five others of six. I... I am the sixth," Stannis replied with contained energy.

Antrim smiled quietly before returning to his work. "And the Ko-Matoran?"

"Korero is some sort of archeologist and explorer. He found us earlier today as we started our flight from the fishing village. He is not Chosen. But... I-- I feel as if Destiny flows through him all the same. It is likely he was Called by Mata Nui to help us, or even help me, in some way. Many are Called but few are Chosen."

Antrim nodded. "You have learned that everything has a purpose and a meaning," he said as he still oiled the steel. Rivulets of amber liquid flowed down the side fuller and then were swept up by the cloth and dragged on the blade anew.

"I have," Stannis gulped. This was the first time he and Antrim had spoken this way since before his departure from the Massif. "I believe all things are part of a larger plan."

"Tell me of your enemies. Who chases you?"

"I do not know them or who they are, but they represent the Makuta. This is a war, my lord, and we are reminded that it is physical as well as spiritual. I... thank you for coming when you did."

"It was meant to be," Antrim replied. "But you helped make it happen by creating the avalanche, even if that was not your intention. Fate works in mysterious ways."

"Indeed," Stannis said and prepared to offer his change of doctrine. "But it was my intention to summon you... my lord."

Antrim paused his cloth and looked up at his Matoran with a critical look that made Stannis' own piercing gaze seem childish. "You thought about your actions? It was your plan?"

"Yes!" Stannis claimed, almost too enthusiastically. "I have... learned another way." Antrim remained silent, patiently waiting for Stannis to explain. "Destiny cannot be avoided, and even the choices we make seemingly of our own volition are only a part of the path we were given. We can grow as people and mature, but it is prescribed to us. But... I feel destiny can change by Mata Nui. Maybe even now one of us Chosen can die and be replaced by a Called one.

"But my belief relies on a crucial element: We cannot exist on Faith alone." Stannis breathed deeply and collected his thoughts. "It's like living only on bread or water -- we can't do that, we need both to be strong men. I have done many travels since I left this village, my lord, and for the longest time I only placed my trust in Destiny and Mata Nui. But I have met other people who are my opposite; they place their trust in facts and what they can see. Me? I saw a way to bring you to me at a moment I needed your help the most. I made a plan to do so. But I did not forsake the principle of Trust, my lord. I had to have great faith that the plan would work. But in the end, I did think about it and my faith was not unfounded."

"This is what you choose to believe in?" Antrim asked sharply, a faint hint of anger in his tone. His eyes narrowed with disapproval.

"Yes," Stannis confirmed steadily, looking back at Antrim evenly. Antrim remained locked in eye contact for what seemed like a very long time and Stannis was certain he would banish him from the keep and maybe the village himself for making a philosophy of his own that contradicted his lord's. Would the toa truly take offense of the matter? Would he truly lash with anger?

"Very good," Antrim said before resuming his polishing and softening his tone. "You have grown as both a man and an adventurer. I am proud of what you have done and made of yourself, Stannis." The matoran's posture relaxed at these comforting words. "In the morning, you and your friends will come with me to the monastery. Then I feel I must let you return to your quest. You cannot stay here longer; not for what you have said but because your job is not here, it is on all of Mata Nui. Should you need shelter, however, you are always welcomed here."

"Thank you," Stannis breathed.

"Go and rest for the night. You have done much today."

It was true, and Stannis had not slept much the previous night save for the two hours before his guard duty. Since then, most of the day was in fight or fight. He stumbled down the spiral steps to the bottom of the keep and returned to his rustic cabin for the night.

Edited by Littlefinger

OOC: Moving from Le-Wahi…

IC: Niici – Niici’s House – Northwest Ko-Koro

It was now past noon, and the Toa of Ice landed at the air field and returned to her house with no incident. Her butler opened the door upon seeing her and her paid helper who was carrying her luggage. The long, calming ride through the wind helped to really calm Niici’s nerves. The terrible pain of inadequacy all but eliminated. Now, she and her Matoran helper walked down the steps and moved her luggage through the front door.

“How was the trip?” asked the butler. Niici smiled warmly, “A bit of a bump in the road afterwards, but the concert itself was a success. I heard the numbers when they were still counting ticket sales back in Le-Koro. We brought in a lot of dough!”

“Most excellent!” responded the Matoran butler.

After tipping the helper, Niici moved her luggage into her room. She would unpack later. For now, Niici decided that she could really use a long hot bath – followed by a session with that Ko-Koronan masseuse.

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

IC (Zadron)

Zadron gasped as Kohra forced him into a lock. The assassin could feel the tension in his right arm - she wasn't kidding. But Zadron had one trick up his sleeve - literally, in this case.

With a lightning-fast shing, his right Radius Blade extended from its housing on his forearm. Unfortunately for Kohra, her right hand was gripping Zadron's arm at the wrist - right in from of the housing's opening - and the razor-sharp blade sliced through the side of her palm. The cut wasn't deep and would be easily treated, but the sudden pain and surprise of the counterattack made the female Vortixx flinch back and let go of Zadron's arm, giving him the room he needed. Planting a backward kick from one clawed foot squarely in her stomach, Zadron sprang back to his feet and whirled to face her as she staggered back, both blades now unsheathed and held at the ready.

"Oh, so you want to play?"

Zadron now had the opportunity to get a good look at Kohra. She was slim, almost scrawny, but still attractive - WOULD be attractive, were it not for his intense grudge against his species' females. Many years of oppression and suppression at their hands had hardened his heart. But there was something different about her, for her left arm was certainly not that of an ordinary Vortixx...no, it was blackened, sinewed, feathered - altogether something very new to Zadron.

In fact, if Zadron were a betting man, he'd have bet no small amount that there was only one place on the island something like that could come from.

Slowly, the assassin's fighting stance relaxed, his blades sliding back into their housings.

"Peace," he said. "If your arm's anything to go by, we're on the same side. Am I right?"

Edited by Illusive Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

"That depends on what side you are referring to." Kohra replied, cooly. The look in her eyes had about the same temperature. The sudden kick had winded her, but the armor had taken most of the impact. She squeezed her injured hand, a few drops of blood falling onto the white snow as they were pressed out of the cut, but she ignored the pain. Her focus was on Zadron and she was not about to relax so easily as a question occupied her mind: What to do about the other Vortixx? His words implied he was not an enemy. His actions had said something else. And he was skilled. Kohra entertained the thought that he might have been sent here for the same reason she had been, but at the same time her instincts told her he had been following her and not been aware of her mission. He would have to convince her of his allegiance first.

After a moment, she relaxed her fighting stance as well. Or rather, pretended to do so, dropping her hands to her side. The other Vortixx, that much she was certain of, knew nothing about her aside from the brief encounter. The same went for her, of course, but there were ways around that.

Let him talk. She could hear the thought that was not her own in the back of her head. And it told her a name to go with her opposite. He does not know what you can do.

"All right then, peace." Kohra finally said. She still held her clawed hand clenched to her side. If the other Vortixx was dishonest, she was prepared. And she didn't need to touch in order to hurt.

"Let us talk...Zadron."

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC (Zadron)

"Oh, you know who I am," Zadron replied, unimpressed. The female would have to do better than that. Yet deep down, behind the posturing, part of him was furious with himself for letting her catch him off-guard. "Or my name, at least. If you know that much, then I'm sure you're aware of my reputation as a mercenary. While I'm technically freelance, my services are currently secured by one Dark Toa Echelon - and my loyalty's always been with the darker people on this island."

He gestured in the direction of Kohra's shadow-arm.

"And who but Makuta would give one of our people something like that?"

Zadron's attention was caught by the large crystal object nearby. He stalked over to it, scoring its faceted surface with one claw as he gazed at the beings within.

"Vidar and Ronkshou..." he mused. "Quite a mess you two've got yourselves into..."

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

Kohra's expression turned into one of mild amusement at his defiant look. Maybe he was just acting unimpressed, but Kohra knew that he knew he was not the one holding the power here. His name was the smallest information she could find out. If she wished it, she would know all of his secrets. But that was not why she was here. There were more important things to worry about than petty grudges of the other agents.

"Who else indeed." she replied, still smiling coldly at the male Vortixx, confirming his assumption.

"So you are serving under Echelon and our master. Consider yourself lucky. It means you get to leave this Wahi alive." Kohra said. It was not a threat, she was merely stating the facts.

He turned away to examine the crystal prison. In the meantime, Kohra turned to the Toa of ice, who was still sitting on the ground, watching them. She sent a thought to her master and he confirmed it. If Vidar and Ronkshou were the trapped ones, that left only one other name for the third member in their company: Utu.

She dropped to one knee beside him, looking him in the eyes. "Are you alright? What happened here?" she asked him.

IC: Utu - Ko-WahiThe fear was overbearing.He couldn't quite understand what was happening. He had never felt such overwhelming terror building within him. It wasn't the Vortixx's. He'd fought much more frightening adversaries, and the fact that they were just talking made them seem much more docile than all the blades would lead one to believe.It just grew, and all he could do was shake and shiver, terrified of something that wasn't there.He pushed back some more again, and his body seemed to jump at any of the movements that either Vortixx made. He reached over to his Marked arm, pulling it around as to inspect his Rune, assess the damage. It was flickering, and much of it had started to trail down his bicep, the once melting metal now cooled. The end of the trails did not match the part of his Mark, but instead, it had become the shining silver Praggos described as krillactum.A small flash from the Mark, and he jumped again. Not from watching it flicker. But it felt like it had caused the jump. It had given him fear.Utu looked up into the Vortixx's eyes, "The Ta-Matoran, he melted it," he jumped again, "We were to bring them to Makuta, the Matoran. But..." He jolted again, a sort of 'clunk' sounding in his voice.Utu suddenly realized what was happening.The Mark of Fear was broken.

Edited by We Are Legion

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC (Zadron)

Zadron didn't answer, nor acknowledge her words. The assassin knew he couldn't afford to let the female get under his skin. He kept his temper in check.

And meanwhile, he examined one clawed finger, then looked back at the elemental prison. Suddenly, he slammed the claw into the crystal and dragged it downwards, carving a long sliver out of the transparent surface and leaving a jagged scar. The sliver fell into the soft snow as Zadron inspected his finger. It was going to take something bigger...

The assassin reached back, and with a long metallic rasp he drew his long, thin sword from its scabbard at his back. Drawing back in a fluid movement, he stabbed forward into the crystal, between the two Dark Toa imprisoned within. Initially, all this appeared to have achieved was to gouge a fist-sized hole in the prison, but a few seconds later, cracks began to spread out from the sword, jumping through the crystal like bolts of lightning. The cracks spread like wildfire, until eventually every facet of the crystalline mass was flawed with a jagged line.

And then, it gave way, shattering into dozens of shards. Vidar and Ronkshou dropped to the snowy ground, freed from their incarceration. Zadron stepped between them as they struggled to pull themselves up. He offered Vidar a hand first, raising an eyebrow at the Toa of Air's new form, then helped Ronkshou to his feet.

"What the karz happened to you two?"

IC: Niici – Massage Therapy Clinic – Far Northeast Ko-Koro

Soft guitars and soothing waves gave the steamy, bamboo shack the perfect soundscape for Niici’s session. The Toa of Ice placed herself comfortably on her stomach on a table that was covered in soft, decorated cloths. To Niici right was her chest plate, and to her left sat her kanohi Matatu; it was better to receive a massage while maskless because it more or less forced one’s muscles to relax.

There was quite a bit of tension in Niici’s toned back, as pointed out by the masseuse; Niici then realized that it had been before the concert was even being planned when she was last here. Honestly, Niici was surprised her back had not become a rigid, steel bust.

Niici realized she had entered a critical time now; she was close to getting all that she had worked for, all that she had fought, hurt, and (indirectly) killed for. She couldn’t think about those things directly though, lest she tense up. But Niici knew that she needed to keep this knowledge in the back on her mind. She had her other wants, but once the Cultured Gentry was truly hers, and the island held the aristocratic club in the regality that they deserved, then could she pursue all that she wanted.

She just wished she could take more breaks like this, and she allowed herself to fall into the euphoria that had been welcoming her through this session.

IC: Ronkshou – Ko-Wahi

The Infected Toa remained incased in his crystalline prison, eyes closed, and left with only his visions.

Yes, the Makuta had much to say to Ronkshou after this, but interestingly enough, Ronkshou’s master did not seem as angry as he would have expected.

However, one memory did keep rising to the surface of Ronkshou’s mind, as if the Makuta wanted to show him something that another infected being saw, but Ronkshou himself was the only one at this time who had a visual.

However, it wasn’t just a visual… the focus of this vision, a Toa of Fire… the Toa of Fire who would have been killed had Ronkshou simply decided to help his ally…

“No, it is you who will amount to nothing. You who call yourself a Toa yet take up the Makuta's cause. You who stands regally and tries to mimic that of honor yet move with underhanded practice. You who are so COLD and HEARTLESS who kills without thought, without mercy, without the shedding of tears”

That Toa? Ronkshou analyzed the vision. This wasn’t a mission; throughout the lashing that Ronkshou got, he was very much reminded that he had to find the rest of these Matoran.

So why this vision?

YOU WHO HAVE HANDED THEIR ICY SOUL OVER TO THE BRINGER OF DARKNESS AND HATE, TO THE VERY INCARNATE HARBINGER OF DESTRUCTION, YOU KILLER OF THE INNOCENT! MAY YOU EXPERIENCE THEY VERY FATE YOU HAVE YOURSELF BROUGHT UPON THEM!”

Ronkshou’s eyes flashed open as the sounds of deep scraping echoed in front of him. However, it was not the sounds that jolted him, but the realization.

Yes, this was a warning. Between that and the battle with Toa of Crystal, Ronkshou now realized that Makuta was engaging his brother with just as much fervor as servants engaged with the Toa.

Ronkshou would remember this, and he would take the proper precautions now. He would not fail his master.

Just then, the prison gave way, and Ronkshou felt himself falling over as the crystal shards fell around him. As a Vortixx helped him to his feet, he then looked to his armored partner, Vidar. His Parakuka was deactivated, though that seemed to make the gash across his face that much more pronounced. Vidar was very fortunate that the bleeding stopped, leaving only a thick line of dried crimson.

"What the karz happened to you two?" asked Zadron

"I will explain later, Vortixx, but for now I'll just say that we were hunting Matoran and were imprisoned by a Toa of Crystal" Ronkshou said, “Please accept my gratitude”

“Not just any Vortixx!” Vidar cringed as his spoke. His disfiguration also made it difficult for him to speak clearly, and even Ronkshou struggled to understand his ally’s speech.

“That’s Zadron, assassin who works for Echelon,” Vidar said, “He was with us when he killed Tamaru”

Ronkshou gave Zadron a surly nod, and then looked to the female Vortixx who was on what knee speaking to Utu. The tall Toa of Ice looked considerable different, and the large burn on his arm was hard to ignore. Ronkshou walked over to the two, his feet crunching through the snow. Vidar followed him, and the group soon found themselves around Utu. He appeared to be stricken with deathly fear, hence why he looked so different – this wasn’t Utu at all. What happened?

Ronkshou then looked at the female Vortixx. The Infected Toa had to shut his eyes as more information flooded his mind – apparently the Makuta knew her quite well.

“You’re Kohra,” Ronkshou said after his opened his eyes, “Another who works for our cause”

After nodding politely, the Infected Toa’s gaze returned to the sitting Toa of Ice, after scanning the Toa up and down, Ronkshou had reached a conclusion.

“When we met this one, he said he had a power over Fear. That he was able to feed off it like I would do with my own element,” Ronkshou said, “It seems that his powers have begun working against him”

“So now what?” asked Vidar.

Ronkshou’s face remained stoic, that classic look of indifference that made him seem mechanical.

“He’s no longer of any use to us,” Ronkshou said, “We should leave him”

Edited by Emzee

IC (Zadron)

The Vortixx returned Ronkshou's nod, and followed the Infected Toa to observe Utu.

"Sounds like this is Utu..." Zadron remarked. "Echelon mentioned him."

“So now what?” asked Vidar.

Ronkshou’s face remained stoic, that classic look of indifference that made him seem mechanical.

“He’s no longer of any use to us,” Ronkshou said, “We should leave him.”

Zadron glanced in Ronkshou's direction.
"Echelon might disagree with you on that," he said. "From what he told me, Utu's a powerful asset. At least..."
The Vortixx rubbed his chin, pondering.
"Help me get him to Echelon's caves, at least," he said. "You look like you could use a rest, and I'd have that face fixed up if I were Vidar."

IC: Utu - Ko-Wahi“We should leave him”Utu looked up again, wiping the tears from his eyes. His gaze shifted suddenly away from Ronkshou again before coming back to him as the Mark jumped, "You're going to walk away?" he paused, "Y-you're just gonna walk away," he made a face, clearly confused with how exactly he should be feeling. What exactly was he trying to say here? He didn't know. Probably never would figure it out either. He was so confused, afraid of everything, "You w-won't stop them, you know that right?"He shook his head, letting out a stuttering laugh before his face constricted in fear again, "I don't know if you've realized this yet. But Heuani sent you after me to fail, just as I was meant to fail my own task," a jolt, "Heuani is just bedeviling us, and you k-know it."Utu jerked his head and gasped, turning his head down and away from his companions, fearful of their gaze meeting his own again, just as he feared everything. He glanced back at them one last time, "What are you waiting around for? Go on and blindly follow that demon as you always have. Continue on your im-imop-impossible mission.""Echelon might disagree with you on that."Echelon? That old fool? Utu thought he died, Dorian cut his head off. On second thought, Mark Bearers weren't really known for following the rules when it came to dying.Had he not been so frightened, he might consider being brought to that mad Toa, if only to kill him himself, after thanking him.

Edited by We Are Legion

| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC: Riversong (talking to Marrak in a Ko-Koro inn)

Inwardly, Riversong sighed. It was the question that she had been hoping to avoid, one of the more common questions that she had no answer to.

"Well...I've been...okay....I guess...." she said quietly, finding herself unable to meet Marrak's gaze.

IC (Korero)

Korero slowly opened his eyes, as the first sensation of wakefulness washed over him: warmth. Blinking and looking around, he found himself wrapped in blankets and lying on a soft cot. The Ko-Matoran felt an overwhelming contentedness, urging him just to stay in the comfortable bed in a warm bliss. But as memories of the previous day flooded back to him, he overcame the feeling and pulled off the blankets, heaving himself out of bed.

Walking over to the window, he looked out at the magnificent vista, and then at the cluster of small dwellings below.

The Massif, he thought. We made it. And I have a LOT of questions.

Opening the door of the small room, Korero looked up and down the hallway, and spotted an open door, which flickered with the orange glow of a fire. The Matoran walked down the corridor and looked into the room, where he saw Oreius sitting in front of a still-dancing hearth. The Ta-Matoran looked to have fallen asleep in his chair in front of the fire. Korero approached him and sat down in a nearby chair, enjoying the dancing glow of the flames and the heat that washed over him from them. For a Ko-Matoran, Korero had always enjoyed warmth over cold. One more thing to add to the list of reasons he'd never fit in...

But now, Korero had an unexpected feeling that he had found somewhere he belonged. Not in the Massif, though the village was certainly homely. With the two Matoran, Stannis and Oreius, on their important quest. Whether this feeling was simply the beginnings of a friendship, or something more mysterious at work, Korero didn't know, and for now, he didn't want to.

There were other things, however, that he DEFINITELY wanted to know. He had a lot of questions, and he wanted a lot of answers. It was quite possible that neither of his companions would tell him anything - but he was determined to try. Here goes.

"Umm...Oreius?" he said quietly. "Are you awake?"

IC: Ronkshou & Vidar – Ko-Wahi

Ronkshou made no reaction to Utu’s declarations.

This isn’t you, that Fear talking, Ronkshou thought. Vidar, on the other hand, appeared concerned, but given the Rahkshi-Toa’s physical state, Ronkshou did not concern himself with Vidar’s opinions either. They were both weakened or otherwise gravely injured, both physically and psychologically. Ronkshou could only hope that they would recover, but if they didn’t, then they would have to be left to their own devices.

“Echelon might disagree with you on that,” Zadron said. “From what he told me, Utu's a powerful asset. At least...”

“Echelon…,” Ronkshou mumbled. He still remembered what Heuani said for Ronkshou to do, but all things considered, they might need Echelon as well… at least for now. Plus, Zadron was right about Vidar as well.

“Help me get him to Echelon's caves, at least,” Zadron said. “You look like you could use a rest, and I'd have that face fixed up if I were Vidar.”

“Very well,” the Infected Toa growled, resisting the urge to touch the missing chip off the top of his mask, “Let’s go see Echelon. There are things I need to discuss with him anyway”

Ronkshou walked up to Utu’s left side and nodded to Zadron, and with a simultaneous grunt from both of them, they lifted the large Toa to his feet, each of them carrying one of Utu’s massive arms across their backs.

Vidar walked behind them, panting deeply from the loss of energy caused by the Parakuka high. He used his staff to help him trail the two.

IC: [Elysi]

Elysi blinked in surprise at the other being's words, before shrugging it off. From the short period of time she had spent in his company, she had already deduced that he was rather strange and random, and thought on a completely different level from most people, meaning that she should not have been surprised at his words.

But hey, it was still weird.

"Yeah yeah," she replied off-handedly. "Have fun. But if you ever meet a guy named Iegasa, break his mask and tell him that his sister is going to beat the smugness out of him."

With that, she turned and left, heading down the streets of Ko to her next job.

IC (Zadron)

Zadron grunted under the weight of the massive Toa of Ice. The Mark Bearer of Fear had essentially become a dead weight, feet trailing in the snow, his body limp; evidently he'd retreated into his little shell of terror.

Slowly but surely, he and Ronkshou carried their burden through the snowy wastes and up the mountain.

Clang-clang-clang-clang-clang.

Zadron slammed his fist five times against the sloping metal doors of Echelon's lair. The beings outside waited for a few moments, and then the slab-like doors slid open. Zadron and Ronkshou heaved Utu through the doorway and carried him along the metal-lined passage, Vidar and Kohra following behind. They passed through another doorway into the central chamber of the lair, where their host stood waiting to greet them.

IC (Echelon)

"What a pleasant surprise," said Echelon as the beings entered the chamber. "Vidar, Ronkshou - and Utu."

Echelon frowned, sweeping over to the Mark Bearer and grabbing his arm, examining the damaged Mark.

"Dear, dear, Utu..." Echelon muttered. "Heavily damaged...dangerously so...quite irreparable without a supply of Krillactum..."

The Necromancer glared into Utu's eyes.

"I made you into so much more than you once were, Utu Kotore," he hissed. "I raised you up from the pitiful beings of this island - granted you the power you deserved. You were the greatest weapon I ever made - look at you now. A quivering mass, filled with the fear that once gave you strength."

He placed a thin finger under the sobbing Toa's chin and pried his face upwards.

"What on earth happened to your Mark?"

OOC: Was posting this before GH posted but my internet-connection went haywire. Editing the arrival-part in now. Still, grr....

IC:

Kohra quietly wrapped her cloack around her, which had been loosened by her scuffle with Zadron, who helped Ronkshou to pick up Utu. They began to carry him away, Vidar following in their footsteps in the snow. Kohra started to follow them as well, walking behind the two Toa, Vortixx and...well, whatever Vidar counted as these days. The pace was slow; slower than Kohra would have liked. as she heard Echelons name, she concentrated and her instincts automatically started to tell her which way to go. But since Ronkshou and Zadron were the ones walking in front and supporting Utu, they determined the speed. And Kohra understood why the master had sent her to help them.

All in all, aside from the assassin, the other followers of makuta looked pitiful in their current state. Three of the best among their ranks; beaten by a few Matoran and a Toa. It served as a reminder, never to underestimate ones opponents, however insignificant their abilities might seem. She reached into the sash hanging from her side, fiddling around until she found an energy-can. She kept them there for moments like this. Popping the lid off the top, she held it out to Vidar.

"Here, take this." she said. "It's not much, but it will do for now."

Vidar took the can and Kohra fell silent once more. She rarely worked with others and if, usually just one partner. And working in small groups was she tried to avoid until it was absolutely necessary. Workin in a group meant splitting responsibility for the success of a mission between the members. And that meant relying on those members to do their part. But Kohra had never felt comfortable putting the odds for the success of a mission in the hands of a partner. That's what made her so good at what she did. But now, it seemed the master had different idea for her. It would take a short while of getting used to the new situation. Still, if this was what the master desired, she would not hesitate. And there was something else.

Kohra had always felt the presence of the master in her mind. His darkness was omnipresent in almost everything. And especially in the infected Kanohi the enslaved Rahi were wearing...or in this case, Ronkshou. And while her ties to his mind were much closer than those of most others, here was a chance to find out if she could merely share her thoughts with the master, or if the close proximity allowed her to converse with others that shared a similar connection as well. She would have to test that theory sometime.

-------------------------------------------------

Not too long after, the group arrived at their destination, Kohra didn't look it of course, but she was curious about seeing one of the Makuta's strongholds in person for the first time. She had been a well-kept secret indeed. After passing through the well-hidden double-doors of the lair's entrance, the small group moved down a longer corridor into a larger chamber. She recognized the Toa waiting for them: Echelon. Not that she had met him before, but his presence felt familiar, because the master knew him. But the necromancer only had eyes for Utu at the moment.

"I made you into so much more than you once were, Utu Kotore," he hissed. "I raised you up from the pitiful beings of this island - granted you the power you deserved. You were the greatest weapon I ever made - look at you now." Now there was a sentiment Kohra could relate to. Then Echelon took a look at Utu's arm and frowned. "What on earth happened to your Mark?"

"Molten. By a Ta-Matoran." Kohra answered the question for him.

Edited by Vezok's Friend

IC- Alyo - Freezing Ko-Koro square

Alyo sat down on a bench and rubbed his hands together. It was unusually cold today. The chill bit into his body and soaked his armor with the cold. It clawed its way everywhere, numbing his fingertips and sending shudders through him. His teeth would be chattering loudly if he let them.
Although most beings would be running indoors, Alyo felt invigorated. He was more awake than ever, and prepared for anything, he felt.
He looked around at the plaza. It was bare, for even Ko-Matoran found the day a bit chilly. A few trees and lightstone lamps sat around the edges along with low ice and stone huts.
Alyo breathed into his hands and continued rubbing them together, thankful he had something to do as he waited. Ambage’s letter had not specified a meeting place other than Ko-Koro, so Alyo had merely instructed his assistant to tell anyone asking he’d be waiting at this square. If Ambages wanted to find him, he would. Alyo trusted the architect could complete such a simple task.
The day continued, and Alyo remained on the bench, the hard surface pressing uncomfortably into his armor. He didn’t mind the long wait. It gave him time to think, dream up new business propositions or consider new avenues for the Gentry to pursue. He had a lot to think about, so his waiting was not too dull.
But when the sun began to set, and the temperature managed to plummet even further, Alyo decided that Ambages would not be meeting him today.
He stood, ice cracking where he had actually begun to freeze to the bench, and he walked off through the freezing streets towards his home, wondering what Ambages was doing and what he wished to talk with Alyo about.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

IC (Echelon)

Echelon turned his head to Kohra.

"Molten?" he replied incredulously. "By a Matoran? The heat required to melt a Mark's krillactum would be..."

He straightened up, turning his back to Utu. Zadron and Ronkshou dropped the Mark Bearer, letting him slump against the wall. The Necromancer looked to all three of his 'guests', and raised an eyebrow - a motion that was accentuated by the Infection markings on his mask.

"Now," he said, "I get the feeling I've missed something...interesting."

IC: Utu - Ko-WahiUtu shivered again as the finger pulled his chin upwards.What could he say?Echelon was right."Molten. By a Ta-Matoran."Utu jolted a little in Ronkshou and Zadron's arms, ignoring the question since answered by Kohra, "I see you've got a p-pretty new mask too old man," Echelon pulled a little away with his finger, "What. Heuani didn't like your l-l-ittle life extender?" he shook while chuckling, "You didn't make me."The fear seemed to fill out of Utu's eyes, his voice becoming low and powerful, if only for a moment, "I made me," he shrunk back in fear again.Echelon was wrong. It was something Utu had just now realized. He was nothing special. Not even the Mark of his arm could grant him success, not even when it mattered most. All he wanted was to be somebody worth talking about; somebody great.But at every corner of his life, Utu Kotore was shot down. Every attempt to reach anything of worth was removed from him. He failed, every time. The only thing he succeeded at, was roking everything up.And now here, in all his own fear, he felt it, and knew it.Utu was not a god.Utu was not great.Utu was dirt.

Utu's eyes opened.The light snow-fall was drifting towards him, kissing his body softly as it landed. A kind welcome to the waking world.The young Toa's brow furrowed. How did he get here? What was happening? He felt, strange. Utu sat up, one hand on his head, a fear starting to envelope him. Where was he? What happened!? A sudden pulse jolted through his body, causing Utu's body to shift in the deep snow. There was a burning prickling on the side of his arm.And it felt good.He slowly reached across his chest, lightly taking hold of his sleeve, he pulled it up. Below the tattered cloak, was something Utu did not expect to see. It was a complete contrast to everything else he wore; poor and old. Secondhand. But now below the sleeve, was something else; something regal.The elegant shape of the object was captivating. A lone circle, with two arms closing it in. Utu didn't know what it was, but it was hypnotic.It pulsed suddenly, a light shade of deep purple flowing from the center to it's beautiful edges. Utu sort of reared back away from it. He had never heard of anything like this, let alone see it. He poked it reluctantly. It felt just like his arm. Suddenly, Utu realized it was a tattoo. But who put it there? And why?Utu pulled the sleeve down, scanning the area with his head. He was just over the hill from his village he knew that much. Utu had never gone to another village before, but he had done his fair share of exploring the perimeters of his. If he wasn't to leave, he would make the best of what he had. He always made the best of what he had.And what did he have now?Utu placed one hand over the glowing tattoo, which now started to prickle the insides of his arm. He pushed himself off with his tattooed arm, standing up shakily.The Toa of ice started walking up the hill, towards his village.

"I get the feeling I've missed something...interesting."Utu looked up into Echelon's eyes. At one time, Utu thought the Mark of fear was an escape, his one way to greatness. But now it was trapping him. He was powerless to do anything. Utu ignored the current conversation at hand."Fix it, or get rid of it."

| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC (Echelon)

Echelon's eyes flared and he paused, then turned back to Utu.

"Fortunately," Echelon said coldly, "I still possess sufficient krillactum to repair your Mark. But first, Utu, I want to know exactly what happened to it."

The Necromancer's eyes met Utu's and it was clear that he wasn't going to take any nonsense from Utu. He folded his arms.

"Our new friend here says a Matoran melted it," he said. "If I'm going to 'fix it or get rid of it' - incidentally, I'm disappointed you'd even consider giving up your Mark - you'd better explain to me what the Matoran did to it, how he did it, and most importantly, the circumstances under which it happened. Matoran do not easily get the better of the most powerful of the Mark Bearers, nor do they easily generate temperatures sufficient to damage a Mark. Needless to say, I am most curious."

OOC: Moving from Onu-Wahi…

IC: Wokapu, Lekori & Wokiya – Ko-Wahi snowfields a couple miles north of Ko-Koro

The trip out of the Kofo-Jaga nest and through the various underground tunnels was uneventful. Lekori proved himself to be a great navigator, using his memory of when they first went to Onu-Wahi to find their way back and essentially return the way they came. Lekori had two lightstones, keeping from for himself and giving the other to Wokapu, who guarded the rear. The armored Toa of Air did not quite know what to make of Darien, Wokiya’s savior. He was a noble and brave hero, that was for certain, and he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. But how was he in combat? He wondered if this Toa, who similarly looked like saving villages was not his day job, would be there to back up Wokapu if he needed the help. He also had reservations about his sister coming with him, but considering they were both wanted individuals, the Toa of Air couldn’t help but feel better with his sister in his sight.

After about 45 minutes of walking, Wokapu let out a joyful sigh once they crossed the edge of the dark tunnel and into the bright whiteness of the snowfields. For him, this felt more like home than Le-Koro – he had spent so much time here that the brisk winds and soft crunching beneath his feet put the Toa of Air at ease. It wasn’t as much the environment as it was the culture though; Wokapu loved the Ko-Koronans’ peaceful, task-oriented nature. Wokapu always felt left out from his peers because of their tendency to babble on and on with no end and sight, and that dreaded Le-Koronan dialect was just grating. Wokapu had to be grateful that the Le-Matoran that traveled with them had the same abhorrence to Treespeak as he did.

Wokapu looked behind him to see Darien rubbing his arms to warm himself up. Indeed, it took a great deal of time up in these snow drifts to really be completely unphased by the icy winds, and considering that he had apparently dressed himself for a desert climate…

“We should stop by my house,” Wokapu said softly, “I have plenty of clothing and gear to warm us all up”

Wokapu moved his head to the left, beckoning Darien to pick up the pace and walk next to him. Soon, the two Toa moved side by side.

“What’s your take on the virtue of Destiny?” Wokapu asked. He was really just making conversation to learn more about this Toa of Plantlife and put him at ease (he didn’t seem completely at peace, but that may be just because of the cold). Bringing up the main virtue of his home village was often a good starting point.

IC: Vidar & Ronkshou – Echelon’s Lair

Vidar took the can and nodded a thank-you to the Vortixx. His mind, not being completely under the control of the Makuta, could not help but hold doubt. The Toa was a lot of things: confused, angry, in pain… Vidar tried to will himself to think about something other than the deep, bloody gash across his face.

How did all of this happen? The Makuta had equipped him to be one of the most powerful hunter-servants on the island, and yet, he was nearly killed by a Toa of Crystal that not even the Makuta had heard of.

Though granted, with Ronkshou still under the Makuta’s control, the servant’s sight gave the Dark Lord yet another potential problem.

That led to another worry that Vidar had: it seemed like there were a lot of problems that came up during this search and these battles. Toa that likely should have been killed throughout the encounters that somehow not only survived, but emerged victorious.

If this is what Vidar was slated for, then why did he have to become a freak? It was no secret; everyone who Vidar worked with since his armor upgrade and Parakuka bonding considered the Toa a monster.

Vidar shook his head. It didn’t matter what his partners thought; as long as they considered him the best hunter on Mata Nui, it didn’t matter. Maybe they would pay more regard to him now, considering how deadly a Toa could be once their Parakuka is activated.

Soon, the group had passed through the doors leading into Echelon’s lair. Vidar then realized that he had never actually visited his partner’s dwelling before. He wondered if the Dark Toa still kept Tamaru’s mask here.

“What a pleasant surprise,” said Echelon, “Vidar, Ronkshou - and Utu.”

Vidar was satisfied that Echelon still recognized the Rahkshi-like Toa. Though, his iconic Claw Staff was hard to forget, and it remained slung against Vidar’s back, a sharp as it was way back in Le-Wahi. Then, he saw that the Tryna that Echelon made such a good use of was no longer its dark, shiny hue, but rusted and pitted.

Infected, Vidar thought, keeping his face level and hiding his surprise, I wonder why… did Echelon himself request this?

“I made you into so much more than you once were, Utu Kotore,” Echelon hissed, surprising Vidar once again. Utu and Echelon knew each other? He supposed it made sense, considering they were both rather high-profile, but it seemed like Echelon had played a larger role in Utu’s life than Vidar had considered. “I raised you up from the pitiful beings of this island - granted you the power you deserved. You were the greatest weapon I ever made - look at you now.”

Vidar crossed his arms. So Utu is one of Echelon’s people. Regardless, a failure is a failure, and someone needed to take that fall for that. The Dark Toa considered Utu to have, himself, gathered his ultimately useless power. If this power came from Echelon though, then it would be he that would have to explain why his creation failed.

“What on earth happened to your Mark?” asked Echelon.

“Molten. By a Ta-Matoran,” answered Kohra.

“It’s a pleasure to meet again, Echelon, but there are more pressing matters,” Ronkshou said, still helping Zadron hold Utu upright, “You granted Utu this power? If so, then surely you considered the possibility of something like this happening. What’s your fix?”

“And while you’re at it, old friend…,” Vidar added, his speech still distorted by his disfigured face, “I was hoping you could help me. I’ve… been upgraded, but a recent battle has severely wounded my face”

Edited by Emzee

IC (Oreius)

The night before, Oreius had thought he would not be able to sleep.

He had barely managed enough energy to greet Stannis and his companion as the two had rescued him and Korero from where they lay in the snow. The Toa had carried Korero, and fashioned a sort of sled upon which Oreius was laid, and pulled along by Stannis.

They had arrived at the Massif, though the Ta-Matoran didn't recall much of it. He had drifted through a dreamlike haze, strange pictures haunting his mind and clouding his sight. He had seen a Toa walking along beside the sled before dissolving into shadows. As he had been carried up the stairs into some sort of keep, he had seen Tahu's face in the flame of every torch they passed.

Then he had been examined for injuries. Aside from a weariness that permeated every fibre of his body, he was deemed to be in acceptable condition, and was tucked into an armchair that sat before a blazing fire.

The warmth did Oreius good: he could feel life returning to his tired, frozen body. But as time went on, sleep refused to come, despite his exhaustion. Instead, images whirled around his mind; snippets of half-forgotten conversation echoed in his ears.

He felt a palm cupping his chin, forcing him to look up into a pair of chilling, glassy eyes, hovering in the air without a face.

Isn't it so terribly unfair that Mata Nui would call you to such a high standard... and then plan for you to fall?”

The Ta-Matoran wrenched his head away, the hand and eyes melting away into nothing as he stared into the fire. But this did not offer any relief either: the dancing flames coalesced into the figure of a Toa of Fire, holding a sword, a look of fury fixed upon his face.

You don't need the others; you can do this alone,” the voice said, coming from nowhere and everywhere at once, as loud as a trumpet, ringing like a vast bell. “They let Aurax die.”

The flames billowed out of the fireplace, consuming the building, licking up the very stones of the keep. A thousand pitiful, plaintive screams of terror swirled around Oreius as he sat in his chair, struggling to stay conscious in the face of an overwhelming heat.

They let Aurax die.”

There were faces in the fire. Matoran faces, their masks frozen forever in expressions of fear and terror and pain, never-ending screams of agony passing through bloodless lips.

Die.”

They whirled around him, whispering in his ear, shouting in his face, all of them weeping and sobbing and screaming and dying and being torn apart before his eyes, masks crumbling to the ground, blood pooling on the cold stone before being consumed by the fire.

Die.”

The enormous fire burnt away everything, leaving Oreius alone in the darkness.

Die.”

He was floating in the endless void again, with no illumination save that tiny pinprick of light far above him. A rich, resounding voice echoed from all around, pounding his eardrums like the beating of a vast drum.

You must choose, Oreius. Destiny, or the Darkness.”

"Umm...Oreius?" came a new voice, soft and gentle. "Are you awake?"

The darkness vanished as Oreius opened his eyes, blinking back sleep and squinting against the morning light. The fire still burned in the hearth, but it was a normal size again, and no faces leered from its depths. He looked down; the stones were free of blood. Across from him sat Korero, alive and well.

The Ta-Matoran stretched, feeling better than he had since before the avalanche. His body was still stiff and sore, but no longer in extreme pain, and the exhaustion had vanished: somewhere in the midst of his nighttime visions, sleep must have overtaken him.

“I am now,” he said, in reply to Korero's question. “How's it going?”

IC: Darien - Ko-Wahi snowfields a couple miles north of Ko-Koro -

Now learning that Wokapu had allied with Makuta in creating the Cultured Gentry had unnerved him quite a bit. Many self-righteous Toa would have lost all respect for him at learning this, and Darien wouldn't blame anyone for doing so. But surprisingly enough Darien felt more respect for him. Not because of what he had done, but the fact that he was admitting his wrong doings openly and doing all he could to make amends, even at the cost of incriminating himself.

Wokapu looked behind him to see Darien rubbing his arms to warm himself up. Indeed, it took a great deal of time up in these snow drifts to really be completely unphased by the icy winds, and considering that he had apparently dressed himself for a desert climate…

“We should stop by my house,” Wokapu said softly, “I have plenty of clothing and gear to warm us all up”

Wokapu moved his head to the left, beckoning Darien to pick up the pace and walk next to him. Soon, the two Toa moved side by side.

“What’s your take on the virtue of Destiny?” Wokapu asked. He was really just making conversation to learn more about this Toa of Plantlife and put him at ease (he didn’t seem completely at peace, but that may be just because of the cold). Bringing up the main virtue of his home village was often a good starting point.

"Destiny is a powerful force, every living thing has a Destiny, and in the end trying to escape it is foolhardy...." Darien started. "...at the same time, I think that everyone chooses their own destiny, or at least the path they take to get to it. Freewill is the closest description to it. We all have a choice, we can embrace our Destiny, or not. We shape our own Destinies to an extent to be sure, but the end result will play out how it is meant to one way or another." This was Darien's idea on Destiny, or at least from what little he understood about it, it was one of the strangest and most mysterious forces in the world. "Then again, I could be dead wrong, Destiny isn't the easiest thing to understand."

"I have had my share of grief due to the Makuta...." Darien began suddenly. "...I am quite willing to risk my life if it means dealing a blow to the Master of Shadows. And besides, my duty as a Toa and as a friend, requires I do so." He looked at Wokiya as he said friend. It had only been a short while since he had found her in the deserts of Po-Wahi, but he could honestly say they were friends. And he was quite willing to go above and beyond even his duty for his friend's sake, the few that he currently had, as most had been killed by Makuta himself. "I feel that it is my Destiny, and Duty to see this through to the end, and I'll do everything in my power to help you on this quest, you can count on that."

And he meant every word.

Edited by Snelly Bieber

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC (Echelon)

Echelon's stern look faded, and he resignedly turned back to Vidar and Ronkshou.

"The Marks are imparted through a surgical procedure," he explained to Ronkshou. "In the event that they are damaged, they can be repaired through a similar procedure. Trickier, yes, but no great undertaking. It won't take long."

He looked his fellow Dark Toa shrewdly in the eye.

"Utu's a powerful asset to our cause, Ronkshou," he said. "Don't dismiss his usefulness."

Echelon then moved away from Ronkshou towards Vidar. He smiled, apparently unconcerned by his old partner's new appearance.

"It's good to see you again, old friend. You're not the only one who's had a little gift from Makuta."

He tapped his mask. Perhaps the light had made Echelon's mask unclear the first time Vidar looked at it; for it was not covered with Infection as Ronkshou's was. Mainly, the mask's original smooth onyx surface remained - but it was marked with intricate grooves of the rust-like corruption, forming a tattoo-like pattern on the Necromancer's visage.

But Echelon's smile of greeting turned to a frown as he examined Vidar's face.

"Severely wounded, it is indeed..." he said, a rare concern evident in his voice. "Fear not. I will treat you while I operate on Utu's Mark. Speaking of which..."

He looked between Vidar and Ronkshou. The Necromancer clearly wasn't going to be kept in the dark on this one.

"What happened out there?"

IC (Korero)

"Fine...I'm fine..." the Ko-Matoran seemed proccupied. "Look. I know what I saw yesterday. That stone...what you did with it...the beings pursuing us..."

Korero looked frankly at Oreius.

"You haven't told me what's going on," he said, almost apologetic. "Please, Oreius. I need some answers to the sea of questions in my head."

IC: Vidar & Ronkshou – Echelon’s Lair

Ronkshou closed his eyes trying to send a thought to his Master. With Echelon infected, the Makuta could show him what he had seen through Ronkshou's eyes. With a single confirmation, his eyes flashed open.

"Echelon. Utu, was sent on a quest by Heuani himself to find six Matoran who posses artifacts that belong to the Makuta. We were sent to assist in the event that Utu failed. How these Matoran got their hands on them is irrelevant, but they need to be brought back to Mangaia, and the artifacts returned to their vault," Ronkshou explained, "What happened next... well, see for yourself"

That's when Echelon noticed a communication from the Dark Lord himself.

"It is best to let the Makuta explain," Ronkshou said darkly, "He saw the whole thing"

Echelon found himself being whisked out of this lair, far south to the fjord in the middle of the night. Before him stood Utu as he remembered him, tall and powerful, feeding off the fear of a Toa of Fire and two Matoran. The Matoran fled, and he watched as Utu engaged this Toa.

Echelon saw everything that Ronkshou had seen last night. How Utu caused an avalanche to separate the group of Matoran, how the Toa of Fire defeated Utu, how Ronkshou rescued him and went with Vidar to find the Matoran in the snow. The many chases, a beam of heat shooting from what looked like a Toa stone into Utu's chest, the Muaka sent to capture the Matoran, and the appearance of a Toa of Crystal whose height and brawn matched Utu's. Finally, Echelon watched as Utu howled in the distance, his arm being seared by the Toa Stone that this Ta-Matoran held. Shortly after, Ronkshou and Vidar were wounded and incase in a block of crystal by the Toa.

"That should answer the 'what'," Ronkshou said, "But the 'how' and the 'what now'... well I suppose that's what we need to hammer out next"

Edited by Emzee

IC (Echelon)

Echelon was blown away for a few moments by the intensity of the vision. He'd had images planted in his mind by Makuta before - but this was something quite new. The perks of an Infected Mask were all he'd hoped they'd be.

"That should answer the 'what'," Ronkshou said, "But the 'how' and the 'what now'... well I suppose that's what we need to hammer out next."

"Indeed it does," Echelon replied, still a little dazed by the vision. "And indeed it is."
The Necromancer gathered his wits and looked his comrade in evil in the eye.
"I don't need you to tell me that there's something big going on," he said. "That much is clear. And I suspect that time will be of the essence. If there's anything else you wish to tell me now, please do so. Otherwise, I should begin work on Vidar and Utu immediately."

IC (Oreius)

The Ta-Matoran sighed. He shouldn't be the one doing this. He wasn't the person to go to with questions; that was Stannis. He didn't know where the Wanderer was right now, but what he did know was that Korero deserved some answers.

The Ko-Matoran had struck along with them and had almost immediately been pulled into a world he couldn't have possibly imagined; a world where deformed and monstrous Toa pursued Matoran who carried artifacts of great power. Stannis hadn't lied when he had told Korero that they were adventurers... but he hadn't told him the whole truth either.

Oreius rubbed the sleep from his eyes. “You're right, Korero. We haven't exactly been... honest with you. And it's not because we want to, but that's just how things have turned out. What we're doing is... well, it can't be common knowledge, is what I'm saying. You saw why. The more people who know us, the easier we are to track, and that means we'll have more Rahi on our trail, like yesterday.”

He looked down into the fire; the flames flickered quietly, reminding him of the fire that was lit whenever Turaga Vakama would spin his tales of legends and heroes. He was about to tell his own story, now, and upon recollection, it was quite the story indeed.

The Ta-Matoran looked back at Korero. “But... you deserve to know. And I think that, somehow, you're meant to know.”

“We -Stannis and I- are two members of a six-Matoran-strong Company. We've been... chosen by Mata Nui to defeat the Makuta.”

Korero's eyes grew wide at this, but he said nothing.

“The Stone you saw earlier... isn't an ordinary stone.” Oreius chuckled at this: talk about stating the obvious. “It's... it's similar to a Toa Stone.”

“When the First Toa (Tahu, Gali and the rest) were defeated, Makuta took their power and placed it in six Stones. Because the First Toa were more powerful than any other Toa that have ever lived, these Stones are also more powerful than other Toa Stones. They're called Essence Stone, and when they're used, they will turn the Matoran who use them into Toa like the First Toa. They will adopt the element of whichever Stone they use, and they'll get power greater than any other Toa alive.”

Reaching under his blanket, Oreius pulled out the Stone. It once again looked quite ordinary: a perfectly carved, jet-black piece of onyx, but an ordinary stone all the same.

“This is Toa Tahu's Stone,” he continued. “Should destiny run its course, and we collect all the other Stones, then I will use this to turn into a Toa.”

“The other five Matoran in our Company -including Stannis- will become Toa as well, and together, we've been prophesied to bring Makuta down once and for all.”

IC (Korero)

Korero sat, staring at Oreius as though he was once again frozen in Utu's icy bonds. The Ko-Matoran couldn't believe it. And he was so stunned that he couldn't help speaking his thoughts.

"All this time I've looked for tomorrow's history," he said quietly and softly, in a voice like that of an Onu-Matoran miner when he digs up the most precious gem he's ever seen, "and I stumbled on this..."

The Matoran's composure seemed to return to him, and he slowly began to smile.

"You...you're Chosen Ones?" he asked, joy creeping into his voice. "You're going to be the new First Toa? That's...incredible..."

And so Korero's rather fast train of thought moved on to its next natural step. His expression became dark.

"That explains the Toa who came after us," he said grimly. "No wonder Makuta dispatched such fell beings - your quest must be dangerous indeed. But - where are the other? You said you had four other companions - what happened to them?"

IC:

Kohra opened her eyes as well. She too had seen the vision, yet she had remained unfazed by their sudden intensity and appearance. After all, she had been in constant contact with the masters mind for so long now, it almost became second nature. Sharing the vision though was something new.

"That should answer the 'what'," Ronkshou said, "But the 'how' and the 'what now'... well I suppose that's what we need to hammer out next."

"Indeed it does and indeed it is." Echelon replied. The dark Toa looked more shaken by what he had just seen than Ronkshou.
The Necromancer gathered his wits and looked his comrade in evil in the eye.
"I don't need you to tell me that there's something big going on," he said. "That much is clear. And I suspect that time will be of the essence. If there's anything else you wish to tell me now, please do so. Otherwise, I should begin work on Vidar and Utu immediately."
Time. Now there was a keyword. Kohra cleared her throat before speaking.
"Ronkshou," she said, adressing the dark Toa while Echelon prepared to take care of Vidar and Utu, "Echelon is right. Time is of the essence. Until now, I bought you time by distracting the villages. But the board has been set and the pieces are moving. And the balance can not be tipped in our favour by well-timed explosions anymore. I think you could use my help. And it appears our master thinks the same."
She looked the Toa in the eyes. "I may not be a frontline fighter. But my weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency. What do you say?"

IC (Oreius)

“We were separated,” Oreius replied, looking for all the world as though he were a hundred kio away. “Those three Toa found us in a small village only a few kio from where you met us. We tried to run, but that Toa of Ice we fought... he summoned an avalanche as we were escaping into a tunnel that led through the mountains.

“Four of our Company made it in safely, I think. But Stannis and I were washed away in the snow. I managed to dig us out, but not fast enough to get away from our pursuers.”

IC (Oreius)

“Eventually,” the Ta-Matoran said with a shrug. “There's two more Stones to get, and we're hoping that, if the others made it out alright, they'll head for Le-Wahi, where one is hidden. Stannis and I will go to Po-Wahi, where the other one is. Then we'll meet up...”

He stopped here, a small, rueful smile on his face. “...I'm sorry, but I'll leave Stannis to tell you the rest. If... if you come along with us, there's a chance you might be captured, and the fewer people who know everything, the less likely Makuta will be to get that knowledge too.”

Pulling aside his blanket, the former Guard stood up, stretching out his stiff legs.

“I hope I could satisfy at least a bit of your curiousity, anyway. We need to get moving now. Have you seen Stannis?”

Ic: The first rays of sunlight shot i to the village square like a spear of heaven, the rod of Mata Nui striking the earth to cleanse it. Stannis had already been awake to witness it. His months on the trail had conditioned him to wake up earlier than everyone else in the village and he looked forward to it. But most of all, he seemed excited to feel the sun of his hometown.

The Wanderer caught sight of the golden rod from his window and threw himself out of his bed, almost crashed through the door and flung himself onto the stone street to stretch out and absorb the early morning rays. The ruckus had alerted other denizens and they went to their windows, only to see their old neighbor looking like a kook on the street with his eyes closed in deep meditation.

There Stannis lay, cool and calm, soaking in the power of Mata Nui through the sun, reverently whispering prayers to a god unseen but felt by the same Matoran. And Stannis did feel a presence, an ethereal body that hung close to him. Stannis ripped his eyes from the orb of energy on high and looked left, and there, lying next to him, was the prettiest face he had ever seen, with a mask so beautiful eyes that were golden as his were silver. "Who are you?" Stannis asked in a low whisper.

"I'm Destiny," the apparition replied. "And with you always."

He turned away from Destiny and looked right. A man, strong and able with a halberd in hand and mask of radiant power. He looked up ahead, vigilant. "I'm Duty," he said, expecting the question. "I will always fight with you."

Stannis waited a moment, sensing a pattern, but there was no third Virtue. Finally, he asked the spirits next to him, "Where's Unity?"

"That," Destiny said, "is up to you."

Stannis thought of that for what seemed like a long time, pondering it. What could it mean? Do I create Unity? he asked himself. It was off of that rhetorical question that it hit him. "I am Unity," he said in reckoning. He looked to both sides at the spirits with him and beckoned them closer, and when they did so he hugged them tighter than he ever hugged before. There and then Stannis had an apotheosis, a realization of himself.

The Virtues and the sun's rays faded from him as his thoughts drifted, and with them went his euphoria. "I am Unity," he repeated to himself. "I'm Unity, I am the Wanderer, a prophet... yet I cannot keep my own team together. How can I..." his words left him as he savagely threw himself over in the street and struck the ground with his fists, strong as hammers. He cried because he was not living up to the expectations held to him, he had failed in his mission. Even at that very moment he was not with his team, and they were led by someone else far, far away. Beliefs of Faith over Truth conflicted and drove him apart from his counterparts, those he was meant to inspire and lead. He realized... Stannis realized that he had failed to embody the very thing he was meant to be.

"Alright, they know you're back now," Antrim's voice cut in, stopping Stannis from hitting the street. Tears still ran down his mask, though, flowing down the cracks and crevices in the design. "You can stop freaking everyone else out now." Stannis looked up at his guardian and stood up almost shamefully as if he had done something wrong. "Did your weeks out in the wildernesses make you a rahi?"

"No," he replied, "it made me a clairvoyant."

The toa's tone fell from a light reprimand to a low serious one when he heard this. "You had a visionnnn..." he said with a drawl.

Stannis nodded. They stood in silence for a moment before the matoran broke it, saying, "It is morning, my lord. You said you will take us to the monastery. I would like to go now."

"I said in the morning I would take you, but there are still several hours before the high-dial," Antrim responded. "For now, let's see your friends."

“I hope I could satisfy at least a bit of your curiosity, anyway. We need to get moving now. Have you seen Stannis?” Oreois could be heard saying through the door between the spiral steps and the hearth room.

The Wanderer opened the door right then and stepped in, Toa Antrim behind him. "I'm right here," he said, still glum from his vision. His eyes glowed more vobrantly at the sight of the two others looking well, all things considered. He was glad.

Ic: "Has he?" Stannis said, stepping to the fire and sitting on the hearth. The warmth of the embers was familiar but lacked the energy of the sun, he observed. "What did he tell you so far?" he asked, poking the embers with a poker as Antrim added a bundle of dry wood. It quickly was engulfed in the fire as it renewed strength when it sensed the new fuel.