Do you know the Matoran Alphabet?

Toa Of Anarchy

I know it may seem really nerdy, but we all know about the Matoran Alphabet. The secret messages hidden throughout the bionicle games, (My Friend Went To Po-koro And All He Got Me Was This Lousy Rock ;)

So my question is, how many of you actually write/read in bionicle? And if so, how often. I'm sure that if you can still write bionicle you are ON THIS SITE :D

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

I never memorized the Matoran Alphabet. I just didn't feel a need to, since I would just look up the alphabet for messages that were written with it.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I can read it very well, but the Voya nui version trips me up sometimes. I Can also write it, and I do locker mail in it. (make tiny letters and stuff them into your friend's locker vent, and they wright back, our entire student body does it. and I started it all. :D)

the main reason I tried was the newspapers in MNOG II. I hated those things. XD

Edited by Loganto The Bo-Matoran

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

Oddly I never did bother to memorize most of it, which is weird because I'm into fictional letters and invent my own huge systems of them that I somehow manage to remember just fine. I did always remember the symbol for P, though, which I used in the symbol for my original fanfic series, the Paracosmos. For some reason though every time I figure out what some of them are, it always slips away again. It's weird.

Maybe it's because I enjoy it being more of a challenge, so I keep re-forgetting it so I can keep re-learning it. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I used to know it, but I'm... very rusty.
Really, though, does anyone actually read and write in Matoran? Why would you do that? XD

I can read it very well, but the Voya nui version trips me up sometimes. I Can also write it, and I do locker mail in it. (make tiny letters and stuff them into your friend's locker vent, and they wright back, our entire student body does it. and I started it all. :D)

... you taught your whole school to write in Matoran?

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I used to know it, but I'm... very rusty.

Really, though, does anyone actually read and write in Matoran? Why would you do that? XD

... you taught your whole school to write in Matoran?

Oh, no, we just send them in English, matoran is limited to friends only for me.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

I can read it just fine. The letters are all based on the Latin alphabet, so once you've got a basic understanding of which glyphs correspond to which letters it's easy to remember and decode.

I would probably opt to have a translation page handy when writing with it, however, since I might be a little rusty and mix up some letters—an easily detectable problem when reading a grammatically correct message, but not as easily caught if I'm writing the message myself.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Someone needs to make a notebook just full of circles instead of lines, so that we can write it quickly.

This is a fantastic idea, one that unfortunately is probably not worth the effort, with BIONICLE no longer existing and all. A "letter" for a regular space would have to be made too,

I myself learned to read and write Matoran years ago, but haven't practiced it for a while, and am probably rusty.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Someone needs to make a notebook just full of circles instead of lines, so that we can write it quickly.

This is a fantastic idea, one that unfortunately is probably not worth the effort, with BIONICLE no longer existing and all. A "letter" for a regular space would have to be made too,

I myself learned to read and write Matoran years ago, but haven't practiced it for a while, and am probably rusty.

If I were to do it, I would just scribble inside a circle for it to count as a space.

But it shouldn't be too hard to make; I'm actually thinking of making one eventually here.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I knew the Matoran alphabet pretty well and probably still do, but to be fair, it isn't entirely difficult to learn or retain. After all, all of the letters are designed to closely resemble the corresponding letters in the Latin alphabet. Obviously some get considerably distorted through simplification, but the basis is still reasonably evident and there are only a few letters that have ever caused me much confusion.

In contrast, I don't know if I've ever been able to decipher Matoran numbers from memory.

I can't automatically remember which letters are which, but I can read and write both with accuracy. The biggest problems for me are D, G, and Y. I know the number system pretty well.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I can read and write Matoran perfectly well, but writing takes a lot of time since you need to draw the circles...

To be honest, the alphabet isn't hard to decode even for someone who isn't a Bionicle fan. Many letters are similar as the latin correspondents.

Still I use it sometimes to make it harder for others to read what I'm writing. :P

I can read and write Matoran perfectly well, but writing takes a lot of time since you need to draw the circles...

That's true. I usually draw all the circles first, then go back and add the inner details.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YJnwXbYwlLmQDcQBMe2QiwuGQx3bHTltiphOHitHOP4/edit?usp=sharing. :P I'll make versions with more pages if you guys want, but you can just print out however many you want of the three circle sizes I included. Great idea, Kopeke! :D

Edited by XONAR
Bliss.png

Another idea: Add pages with hexagons. :)

Maybe even the alternating up/down triangles for Xia. (I think that was later decanonized, but fans can ignore that, heh.)

Plus, put the alphabet key at the start, IMO.

Note: There is a problem with that pre-circled page thing, though -- a circle with nothing in it is the letter O even in Matoran, not a space. Spaces would just be spaces. :shrugs: I guess you should still trace over the circles with actual ink/pencil to do it properly. (Might wanna mention that suggestion at the start too.)

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Does anyone still use the Matoran-style hyphen from MNOG? For the unfamiliar, it looked like a minus sigh with a small circle underneath it. Interestingly, it was inconsistently used with village names. The Onu-Wahi tunnels always use them, but Po-Wahi (including the rock) doesn't (they say thinks like, "POKORO"). The Ga-Koro sign doesn't have a hyphen, but does have a space ("GA KORO"). I always liked the BIONICLE hyphen.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Maybe even the alternating up/down triangles for Xia. (I think that was later decanonized, but fans can ignore that, heh.)

Note: There is a problem with that pre-circled page thing, though -- a circle with nothing in it is the letter O even in Matoran, not a space. Spaces would just be spaces. :shrugs: I guess you should still trace over the circles with actual ink/pencil to do it properly. (Might wanna mention that suggestion at the start too.)

Yeah, did anyone else notice that they changed the way to write K? It looked like this, and then it looked like this

P.S. I think that second one is SO AWESOME, I gotta remember to print it out :bigeek:

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

I thought spaces were sometimes dots between words or something. In any case, yes, a pre-circled notebook has that problem.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother