Do you know the Matoran Alphabet?

Toa Of Anarchy

Another idea: Add pages with hexagons. :)

Good idea. I'll add that at in some point. :)

Maybe even the alternating up/down triangles for Xia. (I think that was later decanonized, but fans can ignore that, heh.)

Ooh yes, that'd be cool as well.

Plus, put the alphabet key at the start, IMO.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Adding that in as well...

Note: There is a problem with that pre-circled page thing, though -- a circle with nothing in it is the letter O even in Matoran, not a space. Spaces would just be spaces. :shrugs: I guess you should still trace over the circles with actual ink/pencil to do it properly. (Might wanna mention that suggestion at the start too.)

That's a good point, but I imagine people would mainly use this for repetitive exercises like writing one letter repeatedly for practice. :P This kind of thing isn't really practical for anything else.

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Another idea: Add pages with hexagons. :)

Maybe even the alternating up/down triangles for Xia. (I think that was later decanonized, but fans can ignore that, heh.)

Plus, put the alphabet key at the start, IMO.

Note: There is a problem with that pre-circled page thing, though -- a circle with nothing in it is the letter O even in Matoran, not a space. Spaces would just be spaces. :shrugs: I guess you should still trace over the circles with actual ink/pencil to do it properly. (Might wanna mention that suggestion at the start too.)

I actually came up with a semi-fix for that already:

If I were to do it, I would just scribble inside a circle for it to count as a space.

But it shouldn't be too hard to make; I'm actually thinking of making one eventually here.

Thanks a ton, Xonar! This is pretty epic. Could you make one in which the circles are a little bit smaller, though? That would be great. Also, pages with hexagons and alternating up/down triangles would be cool (though I haven't previously heard of the latter. The source?), as would an alphabet legend if someone forgets a letter or two.

Yeah, did anyone else notice that they changed the way to write K? It looked like this, and then it looked like this

P.S. I think that second one is SO AWESOME, I gotta remember to print it out :bigeek:

I've noticed that too. I think the second version came about in the Voya Nui-era, which, coincidentally, is when the hexagonal alphabets came about too (if I'm not mistaken).

Edit: I hadn't noticed that Xonar had posted again already. :P

Also, I realized that on that second Bionicle alphabet you posted, ToA, the "y" is different too. Odd.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes
  • Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

onlysinceiwas9.png

That's a good point, but I imagine people would mainly use this for repetitive exercises like writing one letter repeatedly for practice. :P This kind of thing isn't really practical for anything else.

Maybe you could turn the lines of circles into light grey outlines, and the writer would only need to trace the outline to start a letter.

Edited by TBK

sig8.png

When I was younger, I somehow remembered enough matoran at school to write all the answers to a small homework assignment in it.

My teacher was so mad... :lol-sign:

Edited by PyroLizard Prime

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

You know there was a time I had the matoran alphabet memorized completely.. I could read and write matoran without even thinking about it.. However I eventually found myself focusing on other things, such as debating the story of how does toast taste so good with jellies and whatnot, that i eventually forgot all about the matoran alphabet. Heck even now i wish i could relearn it on that scale but i just feel i lack the drive for relearning it. Though it was fun leaving messages for people and seeing them trying to decipher it.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I cannot write in it, but I can generally read it in a pinch.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 1 month later...

I can write it just fine, I sat down and memorized the thing for kicks and then kept a journal for about a year, in which I wrote exclusively in Matoran.

I still have a bit of trouble reading it, though. Takes me a few seconds to decipher words(which is annoying when trying to read those messages in the Bionicle movies' credits).

"Those who dream by day are conscious of many things that escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

I actually do...huh. I never memorized the numbers, but I recall writing notes in the alphabet and can still read and write pretty fluently in it.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Yeah, I learnt it, back in the day. I'd probably be a bit rusty now, but I have a good memory for useless trivia of this kind; with a little bit of thought, I reckon I'd be able to read and write it fluently again.

The original Mata Nui version, at least; I never did get the hang of the hexagonal version that was used on Voya Nui.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

The original Mata Nui version, at least; I never did get the hang of the hexagonal version that was used on Voya Nui.

From what I remember it is identical except for the hexagons instead of circles.

The "K" is also different, with the Voya Nui "K" resembling the real-world "K" more.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I've memorized the Matoran Alphabet by heart. I've read it in MNOG and other stuff various times. I have also written in the Matoran Alphabet as well. It's great because people can't comprehend what you're writing. XD. I've also taught my two younger siblings how to read the Matoran Alphabet. I found it quite easy to memorize due to the fact that the letters of the Matoran Alphabet vaguely resemble that of the English alphabet.

I think BZPower should offer Matoran as one of the fonts available in the font selection box while posting.

Actually, all of the Matoran letters are available as emoticons. See here and scroll to the bottom. :m: :a: :t: :m_o: :r: :a: :n:

Although the limits on the number of emoticons you can use at a time make it not work in posts sometimes. It might work in PMs though.

• Upvote 2

I can't read it or write it; learning how to do either was never something that I took the time to do, though I've realized that there's nothing stopping me from doing so now. Wouldn't it be amazing if the Matoran language was developed extensively enough that it could actually be spoken, in order to allow people to converse using it?

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I can't read it or write it; learning how to do either was never something that I took the time to do, though I've realized that there's nothing stopping me from doing so now. Wouldn't it be amazing if the Matoran language was developed extensively enough that it could actually be spoken, in order to allow people to converse using it?

That would be fascinating, but would require the Matoran language to be more than just a simple substitution cipher. There are plenty of ficitional languages. Granted, we have plenty of items of "Matoran words", like for instance "Rahi" or "Hagah", etc. A bit of refinement and specificity could do wonders. I don't see why a hard core of fans with a love of language couldn't build on it further.

• Upvote 1

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

That would be fascinating, but would require the Matoran language to be more than just a simple substitution cipher. There are plenty of ficitional languages. Granted, we have plenty of items of "Matoran words", like for instance "Rahi" or "Hagah", etc. A bit of refinement and specificity could do wonders. I don't see why a hard core of fans with a love of language couldn't build on it further.

Man, if only somebody would do that. =P

Anyways, I can read Matoran without faltering, mostly, but I've never been able to write it without looking it up. *shrug*