• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

Mask of Creation Poll

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Mask of Creation Poll

Favorite(s) of names that perhaps could be canonized? (Multiple choice)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Favorite(s) of names that cannot be canonized? (Multiple choice)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you want the mask to get a canon name?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,232 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 04:01 AM

So, a while ago I posted this topic asking people's opinions about the MoC's lack of name. It was suggested to make a poll out of the main suggestions there. So here goes. :)

If there's a clear winner I might feature it in my retelling of all Bionicle history. I have been avoiding including the Matoran-language names in general, but had to include the Ignika's name as "Mask of Life" got tedious to repeat over and over. I did end up mentioning the name of the Vahi too. So, given that Artakha starts to play a more important role near the end it might make sense to have a name for his mask too.

And with some of the suggestions, like the Mata Nui Island map words that haven't been taken yet, it's even possible we could ask Greg to canonize them, since they are already cleared by legal. The others could only be a fan thing.

Edited by bonesiii, Feb 03 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#2 Offline NuvaTube

NuvaTube
  • Members
  • Toa

• 108 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 04:30 AM

I don't think it should be called the Kanohi Artahka, as it would imply Artahka was always meant to having, making the contest between him and Karzahni pointless. Unless of course it was named afterwards, but i think that's less likely.

However, I wouldn't mind if Artahka was always meant to have had a creating-ish role, and so his name had a link to the Mask of Creation, which is why I like the Kanohi Arka.

Kanohi Nuvau makes sense canonically, as it's clear it comes from Nuva (new).

As for the canon words, I just felt Kanae sounded coolest. I just found that it comes from Lake Kanae in Mata Nui, but any ideas as to what it means?

#3 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,658 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 10:38 AM

1. Tiro or Huru.

2. Vuya.

3. Not really. I just don't see the Mask of Creation having any of the listed names. That's just my personal opinion though.

Everyone is one choice away from being a bad guy in someone else's story.

#4 Offline -Toa Lhikevikk-

-Toa Lhikevikk-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,512 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 12:09 PM

Remember the Temple of Creation from MNOLG II and how the Po-Koronans made such a big deal out of Creation as a principle? Since all that was in the Motara desert, I think it'd actually make a lot of sense for Motara to mean Creation. I'm voting Motara. And Tiro, because the Tiro Canyon was nearby.

I don't know about the non-canon names. Do any of them mean anything in Maori or something? I like Nuvau and Arka for their aforementioned connections to Nuva and Artakha, but I'm open to any others I can find rationale behind.

Posted Image

#5 Offline Toatapio Nuva

Toatapio Nuva
  • Members
  • Master of Disintegration Unchained

• 5,353 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 12:41 PM

1. Huru, but only cause that's the only one I've never seen featured in actual Bionicle canon. Where has it been mentioned? I don't like the idea of using a Mata Nui name for a mask.

2. Nuvau. Has a nice ring to it and kind of refers to the word "nuva".

3. No. Considering the story is over anyways, fanon information is as good as canon in my opinion. Except for BS01 purposes.

Listen to Vakama, he knows what he's talking about.

vakama_loves_curry.jpg

My BZPRPG profiles - Kirgan, Viima, Jarkale, Tuli, Hile, Lai LaiSurina, Khervos, Teede

#6 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,232 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 01:57 PM

To those of you asking where these things come from, please see the link to the previous topic in the first post. It's all explained there. :)

Edit: Wow... we seem to have a strong consensus that we want a canonized name, but there's an exact tie for all the canonizable ones so far! Hrm.

Edited by bonesiii, Feb 03 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#7 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 02:18 PM

For canon-possible ones, Motara just sounds the most like Kanohi to me. :notsure:
But my overall favorite, canonizable or not, is Arka.

CHRO IS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX
EXCEPT MORE PAINFUL

Brickshelf
 MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

#8 Offline TLhikan

TLhikan
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 989 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 02:44 PM

I like Artahka being the Matoran word for Creation itself, so that's how I voted. 

"So I'm TL now?"
"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

#9 Offline Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 715 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 02:53 PM

I like the name Huru,because it's sounds like Ruru but with a H not a R.

#10 Offline Toatapio Nuva

Toatapio Nuva
  • Members
  • Master of Disintegration Unchained

• 5,353 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 03:14 PM

There is no such thing as a Huru. The river referred to is "Hura-Mafa River".

Reference

Listen to Vakama, he knows what he's talking about.

vakama_loves_curry.jpg

My BZPRPG profiles - Kirgan, Viima, Jarkale, Tuli, Hile, Lai LaiSurina, Khervos, Teede

#11 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,232 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 03:18 PM

There is no such thing as a Huru. The river referred to is "Hura-Mafa River".

Reference

Whoops. I edited the poll option to fix. That as of this post had eight votes, which were for "Huru". It'll be taken with the appropriate dosage of salt accordingly.

Edit: Looking back at the previous topic, it appears this affected my etymological research; I only looked up the typo version. "Hura" gets several results: centipede, discovery (connects to creativity), uncover, unearth, unveil (like, revealing a newly made thing?). Most of those are under "hura(ina)". But it does fit well.

Edited by bonesiii, Feb 03 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#12 Offline Loading...

• Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,228 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 04:47 PM

I like the idea of "Artahka", or a part of the word, being Matoran for creation as well, though having a part of Po-Wahi being named after the mask, or more likely being the word for "creation" is equally interesting come to think of it...

#13 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Collapsed

• 4,316 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 05:58 PM

Kanae, Auaha, and Unsure. I think Unsure sums up my whole view quite nicely. (bones could use a name for his retelling, why not? Hmm...a non-canon name would create confusion...but all the canon ones aren't that cool either...but it would be really nice if bones had a name...) This makes for a really cool death spiral, but no great decision making. :P

#14 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members

• 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hura does sound better than Huru in my opinion... but I still prefer Arka and Motara.

I like the name Huru,because it's sounds like Ruru but with a H not a R.

Really? :P

EXCEPT MORE PAINFUL

Brickshelf
 MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

#15 Offline Disciple

Disciple
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 09:50 PM

Went with Motara and Makova. Also voted for the winning entry to be canonized. :)

#16 Offline Chro

Chro
  • Members

• 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 10:35 PM

I'd like the winning entry to be canonized, but my favorite entry is listed as unable to be canonized, so I said no for that one. :P

EXCEPT MORE PAINFUL

Brickshelf
 MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

#17 Offline Zox

Zox
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 200 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 03 2014 - 11:04 PM

Remember the Temple of Creation from MNOLG II and how the Po-Koronans made such a big deal out of Creation as a principle? Since all that was in the Motara desert, I think it'd actually make a lot of sense for Motara to mean Creation. I'm voting Motara. And Tiro, because the Tiro Canyon was nearby.

I don't know about the non-canon names. Do any of them mean anything in Maori or something? I like Nuvau and Arka for their aforementioned connections to Nuva and Artakha, but I'm open to any others I can find rationale behind.

In the original topic, I submitted "Arka" after talking to Tolkien and he constructed that name using the principles of his Matoran Dictionary. It's supposed to actually mean "Creation" or "the application of creative force" in Matoran.

BIOSECTOR01 History

second_chance_banner_copy.png

(Banner Credited to MatoroIgnika)

#18 Online Silverglass

Silverglass
  • Members
  • Toa

• 152 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 04 2014 - 12:33 AM

Eh, if we can get one of these names canonized, I'd prefer Motara. If not, I'm all for Arka if everyone likes that one better. 

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” 
― J.R.R. Tolkien

#19 Offline Sniper Joe

Sniper Joe
  • Members
  • Official Exploding Building Tester

• 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 04 2014 - 03:45 AM

I voted for Tiro, Nuvau and Unsure. It's really cool that we get to vote on the names of things for your fanfic!

Edited by Corpsemobile, Feb 04 2014 - 03:50 AM.

I AM LOS TIBURON! AND I AM... A LUCHA!

uuh.png

#20 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders

• 18,232 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 04 2014 - 03:50 AM

So, we're voting on which name will go in your fanfic, right?

For S&T purposes, the possibility of going for a canon name is more relevant (otherwise it wouldn't really belong here). But yes, seeing how the poll is turning out, I think the current front-runner in the canon side is really growing on me (there's no dead-even tie anymore there; on the other side things seem more unclear).

#21 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,055 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 05 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'm still fond of "Arka". Not complicated, not vowel-heavy, not a "forced" existing name, and it has a short but hard and powerful ring to it. ARKA. As I mentioned in the other topic, is sounds like "arcane", another cool word. Plus, ancient powerful artifacts should have names like this.

Unsure if I want it to be 100% official, but it's better than the other options in my personal opinion.

Edited by Katuko, Feb 05 2014 - 11:15 AM.

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated February 2014: Added new attacks for Toa of Iron, Plant Life and Psionics!
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#22 Offline Glenfoxx

Glenfoxx
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 9 posts

Posted Feb 05 2014 - 11:59 AM

Motara and Arka…ah…just listen to that rich molasses.

Those seem to be the popular names, and I agree. Motara just sounds…powerful. It evokes strength and will. But…as was said before, Arka has a melodious ring to it.

Thats my two cents. :wakeup:

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

#23 Offline DuplexBeGreat

DuplexBeGreat
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 46 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 12 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, I agree with most that Arka sounds nice. I'm not sure why there's a non-canon poll, though.

As for Motara, I just don't like the sound as much, but I can understand the rationale behind the word considering its past usage.

I previously had a signature that actually said things, but it was too long horizontally and I'm too lazy right now to reconfigure it to fit on a page. Oh well.

#24 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 17 2014 - 05:59 PM

I prefer Artakha, since it sounds cool and the fact that it is a name that is already canon within Bionicle.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Now, updated frequently[ish] again)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy.

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#25 Offline Angel Bob

Angel Bob
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,005 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 18 2014 - 10:43 AM

I voted for Hura on a whim, but after looking over this topic, I'd have to say I favor Motara. I love the tie-in with Po-Koro's principle of Creation.

New short story: AN EVEN EXCHANGE, featuring the Makuta of Stelt

#26 Offline The Real Slim Shady

The Real Slim Shady
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Low brass will rule the world

• 253 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 21 2014 - 04:37 PM

I don't really want it to have a name but at the same time I feel that it should have one.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

#27 Offline Artakha's Nephew

Artakha's Nephew
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Seeker

• 207 posts

Posted Feb 22 2014 - 01:45 PM

I don't think it should be called the Kanohi Artahka, as it would imply Artahka was always meant to having, making the contest between him and Karzahni pointless. Unless of course it was named afterwards, but i think that's less likely.

However, I wouldn't mind if Artahka was always meant to have had a creating-ish role, and so his name had a link to the Mask of Creation, which is why I like the Kanohi Arka.

Kanohi Nuvau makes sense canonically, as it's clear it comes from Nuva (new).

As for the canon words, I just felt Kanae sounded coolest. I just found that it comes from Lake Kanae in Mata Nui, but any ideas as to what it means?

Naming the mask Artakha would make it seem as though Artakha was always destined to have the mask, and we have a lot of predestination in the Matoran Universe as is. That said, my pick for canonization was Tiro, because it sounds so different from the name of any other mask which we've seen so far. A special mask deserves a special name which is easily recognizable.

I can also be found on XONAR's Bionicle fansite solismagna.com, as well as the Biomedia Project and BS01. I'm under the username Artakha's Nephew on Solis Magna and BS01 on, and MB99 on the Biomedia Project. Check out Solis Magna, as it is exactly what we need to maintain interest in Bionicle. Also, I highly recommend the hand-drawn comic Diaries of Destral, by Stroxx.

Check out a sneak preview of Mysterious Island, an adaption/reboot of the 2001 Bionicle story which I am writing. It's also a musical.|http://www.bzpower.c...terious-island/

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig.

:a: :r: :t: :a: :k: :h: :a: :s:  :n:: :e: :m_p: :h:: :e:: :w:

#28 Offline JAG18

JAG18
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 322 posts

Posted Feb 22 2014 - 03:49 PM

I voted for Tiro and Motara if for no other reason, other than that they sound the best (IMO).

I suppose I wouldn't mind having the winner of this poll canonized.

The board game, Star Wars: Epic Duels, is awesome and your life will be better after having played it.  

gallery_111607_161_12366.jpg

Bionicle Fighter The Destiny of BIONICLE - The Music Game - Steal the Mask 2 - 

The Conspiracy Theory Game

#29 Offline Artakha the ruler

Artakha the ruler
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 254 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 27 2014 - 04:27 PM

Motara, Mask of Creation sound great :D

And yeah, I'd love to get a canonized Name for it, it gives me a lil bit hope that Bionicle is still going strong with Projects like this :)

Credit to North for the Avatar and Banner

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users