High Commander

Sumiki

High Commander of an intergalactic mission to seek out extraterrestrial life.

header.jpg1.jpg_thumb.jpg | 2.jpg_thumb.jpg | 3.jpg_thumb.jpg | 4.jpg_thumb.jpg | 5.jpg_thumb.jpg | 6.jpg_thumb.jpgWhen this was a WIP, I showed it to Brickeens who immediately remarked its resemblance to the Maniacal Duplord from Optimus Convoy. I did not know this existed when I started, so it's purely coincidental.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Good job, bro. It's nice and solid, the colors are clean, and it looks cool. The only things that bother me would be the handle-things on the side of the body (They seem kind of random) and the head. I'm okay with it being small, but I'd prefer if it had a bit more depth or thickness to it.

Nice job Sumi ! I like the overall bulky menace of it.But the small head makes him feel like he is a 'to the point' or 'simple minded' juggernaut, rather than a leading general kind of botBut that just me thinking to much! http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif The nice transitions between lego and duplo are amazing! There perfect and give him a nice fullness to him! Overall a nice red bot! - :hau:- Koro-Chaos - :hau:-

The small head makes him feel like he is a 'to the point' or 'simple minded' juggernaut, rather than a leading general kind of bot.

Actually, you're on to something with the head thing. Not only did I not want it to look like Optimus Convoy's Maniacal Duplord (it already looks a little too much like it for my tastes), but it's also a reference to a 1996-2001 sitcom called 3rd Rock From The Sun, where the lead alien (posing as a human on Earth to study humanity) is called the High Commander and is very simple minded. Hence the name and small head. :) Edited by Sumiki

• 2 weeks later...

For improvement, I think there's a little too much grey on the back, but that might just be me.

Well, there was originally supposed to be no red plates on the back, but part of my BrickFair loot helped with keeping it together.Where, exactly, do you see too much gray?

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, honestly, props on using the toys of my childhood's childhood in a new and creative way. I don't think I've ever seen a system/Duplo combination model quite like this. Keep up the originality!

I urge you to take a look at "The Maniacal Duplord" by Optimus Convoy. (I think you'll be able to find it on Flickr.) While I came up with the Duplo concept by myself, the use of them in a large mecha is not my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At first I just thought...what's so good about this? Then all of a sudden it dawned on me. Awesome man, pretty creative too. I like the small head, and the hands are nice. Actually, I like pretty much everything about it. Great work!=)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Open question, from looking at all of the comments ...Does anyone think that the MOC would be significantly improved with a larger head?

Yes, I do. However, I think the 1 eye look should be kept.Great use of Duplo. I actually got rid of mine awhile back. Should've kept a few.I like the hands, but the Minifig legs look a bit…odd. I would try something else.Also, the blockyness irks me a bit. I would think an alien-searching probe would me sleeker.

• 2 weeks later...

Open question, from looking at all of the comments ...Does anyone think that the MOC would be significantly improved with a larger head?

Yes, I do. However, I think the 1 eye look should be kept.Great use of Duplo. I actually got rid of mine awhile back. Should've kept a few.I like the hands, but the Minifig legs look a bit…odd. I would try something else.Also, the blockyness irks me a bit. I would think an alien-searching probe would me sleeker.
It has two eyes ... what do you think is one? The heartlight?