The quest to find BIONICLE: Legends of Mata Nui

Fry

Also, keep in mind that if the 9/11 theory about the cancellation of the game is indeed true, it's no wonder Templar would picture the Manas fight in a less brutal way.

The brutality is basically the same in both versions - the Kaita wack Manas about with their weapons. The MNOLG is arguably more brutal in Wairuha taking a few blows and being briefly knocked out.

Not really. They defeat the Manas by hitting and kicking them and they even "slaughter" a Mana-Ko (I think that's its name). In MNOG the Manas are defeated by destroying the towers, which shuts down their energy source. It's not quite the same. Then again, we may both be reading too far into things.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Also, keep in mind that if the 9/11 theory about the cancellation of the game is indeed true, it's no wonder Templar would picture the Manas fight in a less brutal way.

The brutality is basically the same in both versions - the Kaita wack Manas about with their weapons. The MNOLG is arguably more brutal in Wairuha taking a few blows and being briefly knocked out.

Not really. They defeat the Manas by hitting and kicking them and they even "slaughter" a Mana-Ko (I think that's its name). In MNOG the Manas are defeated by destroying the towers, which shuts down their energy source. It's not quite the same. Then again, we may both be reading too far into things.

-Gata signoff.png

In MNOLG you see them chopping Mana's in two before they realise they're being overwhelmed. Then they spot the Makuta control nodes (They're really not that tall :P )

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

-Gata signoff.png

In MNOLG you see them chopping Mana's in two before they realise they're being overwhelmed. Then they spot the Makuta control nodes (They're really not that tall :P )

Not sure where you see that. All I can see is the Manas being knocked away.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I think it was the other way round and Saffire borrowed from Templar. My primary reason is that the PC game was never released, so unless Templar were actually shown the game whilst it was in development, they couldn't have seen the dialogue. Conversely, the Ta-Wahi chapter of the MNOLG was available to everyone since early '01. So it's far more conceivable that Saffire would've seen it from Templar's game than the other way round.

Also, the Kapura dialogue is consistent with the detailed and characterised style of the MNOLG, whereas the other Matoran dialogue in the PC game is fairly short and generic.

Lastly, it makes more sense for Kapura to be in Ta- than Onu-Wahi.

Check out the comments here, particularly my questions and Gordon's response.

We had access to the top-secret Bionicle bible, scripts to the comic books, PC and GameBoy game and would pick little elements here and there to interweave with our story for a more unified feel.

The implication I've gotten from Kapura's presence in Onu-Wahi, as well as in the final cutscene and as a special entry in the game's glossary, is that he was to be a recurring character in the game. The developers would have presumably fleshed him out more with that in mind.

That's a good point about his presence in the last cinematic. However, I think the sort of recurrence you describe would be far more appropriate to Takua, who is wandering the island at this stage of the story, than Kapura, who, for most of the MNOLG, is practising right outside Ta-Koro with a desire to travel, rather than actually doing it, and at no point mentions meeting any of the Toa. My point here being that the MNOLG portrayal of Kapura isn't really consistent with that of a wandering one.

If Templar ever become available for questions again, this will definitely be worth asking about.

Not really. They defeat the Manas by hitting and kicking them and they even "slaughter" a Mana-Ko (I think that's its name). In MNOG the Manas are defeated by destroying the towers, which shuts down their energy source.

Yes, but the latter solution only happens in the MNOLG after quite a bit of the former action. Other than the Manas-Ko, the only big difference is that in the PC game physically fighting the Manas is successful whereas in the MNOLG it isn't and they have to take out the towers instead.

Edited by Sir Kohran

It's my understanding that LEGO was in charge of the story, and told Templar and Saffire what to incorporate. Saffire was supposed to tell the main cannon story line, and Templar the less-than-canon side story. When they cancelled the game, LEGO had Templar incorporate the canon story into MNOG. I doubt either borrowed much from the other, at least not directly.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

Are signatures still a thing?

It's my understanding that LEGO was in charge of the story, and told Templar and Saffire what to incorporate. Saffire was supposed to tell the main cannon story line, and Templar the less-than-canon side story. When they cancelled the game, LEGO had Templar incorporate the canon story into MNOG. I doubt either borrowed much from the other, at least not directly.

Yet Kapura uttering the same dialogue in both games (though in different locations) clearly shows that one borrowed directly from the other at least once.

That's a good point about his presence in the last cinematic. However, I think the sort of recurrence you describe would be far more appropriate to Takua, who is wandering the island at this stage of the story, than Kapura, who, for most of the MNOLG, is practising right outside Ta-Koro with a desire to travel, rather than actually doing it, and at no point mentions meeting any of the Toa. My point here being that the MNOLG portrayal of Kapura isn't really consistent with that of a wandering one.

If Templar ever become available for questions again, this will definitely be worth asking about.

Well, Kapura does meet the Toa at the gates of Kini-Nui along with the rest of the Chronicler's Company.

For what it's worth, take a look at these screenshots and compare:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/gali1.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/gali2.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/kaita1.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/kaita2.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/towers1.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/towers2.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/koli1.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/koli2.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/gakoro1.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/VezokofZakaz/TheLegendofMataNui/comparison/gakoro2.png

Though the similarities are indeed quite amazing (the Toa Kaita transformation always seemed the most obvious to me), for all we know, all those concepts simply could have been developed by Advance and handed to the two game studios independently. As far as the pins on Gali's legs are, it could have simply be a prototype of Gali that had those.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by -Windrider-

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Well, Kapura does meet the Toa at the gates of Kini-Nui along with the rest of the Chronicler's Company.

I meant prior to that late point, which is long after the early point in the Toa's arrival during which Kapura supposedly meets Onua in the PC game. Hence why I specified that he doesn't seem to have met any Toa "for most of the MNOLG".

I meant prior to that late point, which is long after the early point in the Toa's arrival during which Kapura supposedly meets Onua in the PC game. Hence why I specified that he doesn't seem to have met any Toa "for most of the MNOLG".

I get your point.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

This would be the 9th time I've read this same message from Lego.

Apparntly Lego owns the ENTIRE game, but doesn't want to give it out.

That is very... selfish of them! I mean, how old is it now?? Relic released Homeworld as semi open-source when they considered it too old, and they already had the sequel Homeworld 2.

Despite the fact they were verymuch willing to sell the tech-demo prototype of the originally intended Bionicle 2 game, AND have 2 officially released games (not counting the ones on portable consoles) they still want to keep TLOMNG for themselves...

Selfish? Really? Look at it this way: The LEGO Group knows the game to be glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete. That's why they didn't release it in the first place. If they released a glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete game today, even to fans, it would still be likely to reflect badly on them as a company and on BIONICLE as a brand, especially if "gameplay videos" that highlight the game's shoddiness begin to propagate.

Suppose somebody's looking up BIONICLE in the future. Would it be better for them to find things like the Mata Nui Online Game that were the zenith of design quality, or to find things related to a sloppy game that was released to fans when it wasn't anywhere near ready? Which do you think will give them a stronger opinion of BIONICLE as a whole?

• Upvote 3

Selfish? Really? Look at it this way: The LEGO Group knows the game to be glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete. That's why they didn't release it in the first place.

Do we know that?

-Gata signoff.png

• Upvote 3

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

The LEGO Group knows the game to be glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete. That's why they didn't release it in the first place.

The Game was sub-par and incomplete, considerably more so than this, but they had no problem with that being released in its dreadful state.

Yet Kapura uttering the same dialogue in both games (though in different locations) clearly shows that one borrowed directly from the other at least once.

Exactly what line is the same? Also, we don't know where the line originated. It could have been required by LEGO.

The LEGO Group knows the game to be glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete. That's why they didn't release it in the first place.

The Game was sub-par and incomplete, considerably more so than this, but they had no problem with that being released in its dreadful state.

Plus, BIONICLE: The Game is hardly LEGO's worst game. I think the developers could have made TLoMN better, and less-glitchy than most of LEGO's other titles from that time, in about a weeks time.

That is very... selfish of them! I mean, how old is it now?? Relic released Homeworld as semi open-source when they considered it too old, and they already had the sequel Homeworld 2.

Despite the fact they were verymuch willing to sell the tech-demo prototype of the originally intended Bionicle 2 game, AND have 2 officially released games (not counting the ones on portable consoles) they still want to keep TLOMNG for themselves...

Selfish? Really? Look at it this way: The LEGO Group knows the game to be glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete. That's why they didn't release it in the first place. If they released a glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete game today, even to fans, it would still be likely to reflect badly on them as a company and on BIONICLE as a brand, especially if "gameplay videos" that highlight the game's shoddiness begin to propagate.

Suppose somebody's looking up BIONICLE in the future. Would it be better for them to find things like the Mata Nui Online Game that were the zenith of design quality, or to find things related to a sloppy game that was released to fans when it wasn't anywhere near ready? Which do you think will give them a stronger opinion of BIONICLE as a whole?

Of course it wouldn't have been a good career move to release the game THEN, but what is keeping them from doing it now?!

Its over a decade old and the franchise is all but cancelled. They could just better release the game and source code to the fans for them to mulch over it (after all, lego says they fully own the game).

So yes, I find it quite selfish, if not ignorant to the fanbase of one of their most succesful themes of the early 21st century!

Of course it wouldn't have been a good career move to release the game THEN, but what is keeping them from doing it now?!

Its over a decade old and the franchise is all but cancelled. They could just better release the game and source code to the fans for them to mulch over it (after all, lego says they fully own the game).

So yes, I find it quite selfish, if not ignorant to the fanbase of one of their most succesful themes of the early 21st century!

The number of fans actually interested in this game should be fairly small, all things considered. Why waste the resources finding the game and uploading it to their servers after processing it in such a way that making it available for public download would be in accordance with their quality standards, especially considering BIONICLE was cancelled four years ago? For LEGO, it would make more sense to just not do anything about it.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

This being said, where exactly did Mark go? Why did he just abandon BZPower? From Legos standpoint, it is just not important or nessessary to upload an old buggy game for a canceled toy line. First of, it makes them look bad for even having a buggy game on their site or in general. Funny thought: Lego talks about quality and yet they realeased Bionicle the game.

This being said, where exactly did Mark go? Why did he just abandon BZPower? From Legos standpoint, it is just not important or nessessary to upload an old buggy game for a canceled toy line. First of, it makes them look bad for even having a buggy game on their site or in general. Funny thought: Lego talks about quality and yet they realeased Bionicle the game.

Um, Prism, your post sort of repeated itself...

The Nerd With a Mouth. The Klingon-Speaking Comedian. The Guy Hoping Not To Get Sued By Marvel. The Guy Who Makes Jokes About Bad Creepypasta Stories. The Guy Who Also Writes About The Truth of BIONICLE...sort of.
Vezpool for president 2016

4352268.jpg

The number of fans actually interested in this game should be fairly small, all things considered. Why waste the resources finding the game and uploading it to their servers after processing it in such a way that making it available for public download would be in accordance with their quality standards, especially considering BIONICLE was cancelled four years ago? For LEGO, it would make more sense to just not do anything about it.

-Gata signoff.png

Can't they just give it to BZPower? Or the BioMedia Project? They wouldn't need to feel bad about hosting that game themselves.

Besides, if very little people are intrested in the game, why does the repitition of TLoMN topics happen all the time?

How did you manage to sodge that up!? XD

-Gata signoff.png

Can't they just give it to BZPower? Or the BioMedia Project? They wouldn't need to feel bad about hosting that game themselves.

Besides, if very little people are intrested in the game, why does the repitition of TLoMN topics happen all the time?

BZPower is still a tiny fraction of the LEGO fanbase, even of the BIONICLE fanbase. Surely there are other fans out there interested in the game who aren't on BZPower, but still there isn't any real reason for LEGO to publish the game themselves. Then again, there wasn't a real reason to re-release the MNOG either, though that was a different situation as the game was apparently just sitting around in their computers in a publishable state. All they had to do was replace the Maori words from the dialogues. You say they wouldn't need to feel bad, but I imagine for a big company like LEGO, it's not as simple as that.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

facepalm.jpg

Too much pride if you ask me. What have they got to lose by admitting they made a mistake? I'm sure some tech-savvy BioFan would spend some time on it making it at least a little playable (and other than the Onua level, what evidence do we have of other game-crippling glitches? This one just looks like a collision/area detection adjustment mistake).

Besides, if Lego is really that nitpicky about quality and all, then let them explain all the very brittle and broken pieces in my collection from the later years!

(And I know BZPower is only a small part of the BioFanbase B-) )

• Upvote 1

What?

facepalm.jpg

Too much pride if you ask me. What have they got to lose by admitting they made a mistake? I'm sure some tech-savvy BioFan would spend some time on it making it at least a little playable (and other than the Onua level, what evidence do we have of other game-crippling glitches? This one just looks like a collision/area detection adjustment mistake).

Besides, if Lego is really that nitpicky about quality and all, then let them explain all the very brittle and broken pieces in my collection from the later years!

(And I know BZPower is only a small part of the BioFanbase B-) )

Not to mention Bionicle: The Game ugh...*shudders*... Lomn graphic wise is far superior to B:TG so I don't see where they get the word "quality" from.

Edit: Chain-quoting removed.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

I missed this before. Nice catch on Gali's pins! Looks like Gali must have had her pins in the same place as Pohatu at some point in her design. Here's a more clear image of this:

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gali_view.jpg

What?

Your post content got duplicated. This often happens if you edit your post and click save twice, or if you double-submit your post and it auto-merges them. Or if you copy-past twice.

Not to mention Bionicle: The Game ugh...*shudders*... Lomn graphic wise is far superior to B:TG so I don't see where they get the word "quality" from.

Edit: Chain-quoting removed.

-Wind-

BtG:

Tahu

Lewa (<- I so want that level! >.< )

TLoMN:

Tahu

Onua

Yeah... I see what you mean...

Texture-wise TLoMN is certainly clearer in many ways, while BtG looks like it could very well be a Nintendo DS game (wouldn't have been so bad if it were actually).

On the WayBack machine, on saffire a old site, there isn't any mention of Lomn. They do mention tot though... Not sure what this worth...

What is tot?

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I don't see how it's "selfish" for Lego to not want to release the game, or what exists of it. By saying that Lego is selfish ion keeping it from the fans, you're implying that they have something to gain from keeping it to themselves, which they don't.

• Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

On the WayBack machine, on saffire a old site, there isn't any mention of Lomn. They do mention tot though... Not sure what this worth...

They did actually have a news article about their showing of the game at E3 2001: https://web.archive.org/web/20010802142437/http://www.saffire.com/news.html

Archive.org has issues sometimes, so here is the content:

Saffire Has Great Showing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

At this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Saffire was a shining example of what a quality developer can do working on quality projects. Saffire's three major projects all showed extremely well.

Steve Hardman from Yobro Productions noticed the buzz about Saffire, "I really liked the show. Two things stuck out: 1. The booth with the psychologists utilizing interactive multi-media to cure psychosocial disorders and phobias (it was actually pretty cool). 2. How people talked about Saffire. Everywhere I went, and almost everyone I spoke with had nothing but great things to say about Hal and Saffire".

Saffire's Game Boy Advance project, "Bionicle", currently being completed for Lego, was arguably the finest Game Boy Advance game showing at this year's expo. People stood in line to have a chance to see art and game play that is better than anything before seen on a handheld.

Saffire's PC project "Bionicle", also for Lego, was also one of the finest looking and playing games being shown. With smooth animation, great special effects, beautiful and massive environments, challenging puzzles, and flawless gameplay, the game is sure to be a success.

Though the target audience for these two titles is young boys, there is no doubt, judging from the number of people waiting to see the games, that there will be a much wider audience.

All in all, it was a great show for Saffire with many promising projects lining up in the future.

It was added to their site sometime between Jun 2, 2001 and Aug 2, 2001, and stayed until sometime after Aug 6, 2002, when the page was removed completely.

It seems they thought the gameplay was flawless.

• Upvote 1

F.............. flawless??? Does this mean the glitch is only realative? Could (whoever he was again) just be owning a dud?

For all we know the game itself has no actual glitches, and for "glitchy, sub-par, and incomplete" it has a pretty good rating at E3 of the time apparently.

I'm fairly sure the glitches in Deep Brick's version exist simply because the plug was pulled before anyone could get round to correcting them.

Wich leads to the question; "Why is a game that had good reviews on E3 cancelled even before the debugging runs?"

I'm fairly sure the glitches in Deep Brick's version exist simply because the plug was pulled before anyone could get round to correcting them.

Wich leads to the question; "Why is a game that had good reviews on E3 cancelled even before the debugging runs?"

Perhaps the demo was of a different area, one that was more complete? Or perhaps they had a massive overhaul of the first area, which led to the current bugs?

How do we even know the build of the game that we've seen footage of is the state the game was actually left in?

-Gata signoff.png

We don't know for sure, because we don't know exactly how close to completion the game was before its release was aborted, and nor (as I pointed out earlier) do we know how much of the finished or unfinished game Deep Brick's CD covers.

I'd like to think work on the core gameplay had finished and it was in the process of testing and glitch detection. That's just hopeful speculation.

Is there any footage of e3 2001? Maybe someone recorded it.

I researched this and found an artical which may be talking about the glitch at the end of Onua level right before he fights the mud monster. http://www.gamevortex.com/e3_2k1/qs_bionicle.html

I found no mention of it.

It does say that the game was going to be huge, and considering the technology then, I'm inclined to believe it would've been (compaired to Bionicle The game wich has only, what, like 9 levels!?).

It does say that the game was going to be huge, and considering the technology then, I'm inclined to believe it would've been (compaired to Bionicle The game wich has only, what, like 9 levels!?).

That's right; Legends of Mata Nui was planned to be the vehicle for the main 2001 storyline, since the comics didn't even come close to including the end of the year's storyline and the MNOG wasn't originally intended to continue through Kini-Nui and Teridax's defeat in Msngaia. Legends of Mata Nui was intended to be the only medium to show Kini-Nui and Mangaia, and when it was cancelled, Templar was left to pick up the slack.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Is there any footage of e3 2001? Maybe someone recorded it.

I researched this and found an artical which may be talking about the glitch at the end of Onua level right before he fights the mud monster. http://www.gamevortex.com/e3_2k1/qs_bionicle.html

Don't forget that BIONICLE: The Game was also intended to have way more levels than it did in the end. Some had to be cut in order to meet deadlines. Even the Mata Nui Online Game had to be trimmed down for this reason (for instance, the Kofo-Jaga subplot in the Onu-Koro chapter was removed), and it ended up being a masterpiece even after being trimmed down to meet deadlines and accommodate added content in the final chapters. Mata Nui Online Game II, on the other hand, ended up a buggy mess due to the struggle of meeting deadlines. To quote one of my favorite comic series, Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, "Intent and outcome are rarely coincident."

BIONICLE as a whole was a franchise characterized by lofty and ambitious goals. On the whole, I feel like it succeeded admirably. But when you look at the details you see many times when it stopped short of meeting those goals in their entirety. The video games tend to contain the most glaring examples.