LEGO Movie Sequel Already in the Works?

The LEGO Movie doesn't come out until this Friday, but Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel, The Wrap reports. Analysts are predicting the movie will be a smash hit (which I don't disagree with - check out our reviews), which in Hollywood terms means they need to cash in on the success with at least one sequel. Jared Stern, writer of "The Internship" and "Mr. Popper's Penguins," along with Michelle Morgan, writer of "Girl Most Likely," are rumored to be working on the script. When you see the movie later this week, let us know if you think there's room for a sequel - I didn't feel that there was.

View the full article

I think there's plenty of room for a sequel, even with the notorious third-act twist.

One idea I had for a sequel is a movie that deals with Finn's dark ages. He loses interest in Lego, and as a result Emmet stops having ideas and reverts to his old, boring life (possibly on the eve of some sort of crisis in the Lego world). Emmet's friends (and the Man Upstairs) have to somehow rekindle Finn's interest in Lego to bring back Emmet's inspiration so he can save the day.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think a sequel is inevitable, but if it's those writers I'm not too excited. All three of those movies listed are more adult humor than kid humor, and those three tanked in their ratings. If LEGO wants the sequel to be as funny and well-written as this one, why not keep these writers and directors that have shown their strengths and talent? Then I'll welcome it.

-CF

• Upvote 1

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I think a sequel is inevitable, but if it's those writers I'm not too excited. All three of those movies listed are more adult humor than kid humor, and those three tanked in their ratings. If LEGO wants the sequel to be as funny and well-written as this one, why not keep these writers and directors that have shown their strengths and talent? Then I'll welcome it.

-CF

Jared Stern also provided "additional story material" to Bolt, The Princess and the Frog, and Wreck-It Ralph. I think those are fairly good credentials.

And anyhow, I don't know if the writers/directors of this one WANT to work on another. Sometimes even if they enjoyed making a movie, writers want to move onto other things.

I think a sequel is, quite frankly, a horrible idea. I haven't even seen the movie, but I can just say from what I've heard and what I know about unplanned sequels. From what I've heard, this movie is fairly closed off, and from my experience, unplanned sequels to good movies are almost always dreadful. I don't think theres much more story or world to explore, or any new themes to be explored; it's just milking a cash cow for all it's got.

The LEGO Movie doesn't come out until this Friday, but Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel, <a href='http://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-writer-jared-stern-already-working-sequel-lego-movie-exclusive/' target='offsite'>The Wrap</a> reports. Analysts are predicting the movie will be a smash hit (which I don't disagree with - check out <a href='http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=6396'>our</a> <a href='http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=6402'>reviews</a>), which in Hollywood terms means they need to cash in on the success with at least one sequel. Jared Stern, writer of "The Internship" and "Mr. Popper's Penguins," along with Michelle Morgan, writer of "Girl Most Likely," are rumored to be working on the script. When you see the movie later this week, let us know if you think there's room for a sequel - I didn't feel that there was.

View the full article

Really don't think that the LEGO Movie was worth a sequel. Part of what made it so great was the moment when you discover that the entire story is coming from a single kid. That will be entirely lost in a sequel. As much as I would love for there to be a sequel, I don't think that it would be that good unless they managed to make an entirely new cast of characters that takes place in an entirely new LEGO world.

Please put spoilers in spoiler tags. -B6

Edited by Black Six

20795.jpg

I think a sequel is, quite frankly, a horrible idea. I haven't even seen the movie, but I can just say from what I've heard and what I know about unplanned sequels. From what I've heard, this movie is fairly closed off, and from my experience, unplanned sequels to good movies are almost always dreadful. I don't think theres much more story or world to explore, or any new themes to be explored; it's just milking a cash cow for all it's got.

I don't understand this movie to be any more "closed off" than any other movie that tells a complete story (like the original Toy Story, for example). The established universe and characters have plenty of potential for continued adventures, especially since the major twist in the third act broadens the significance of their universe considerably.

There is a possibility that the second movie won't be able to live up to the standard that the first set, but considering how amazing the first movie was, even a sequel that falls short of that level of greatness can still be great in its own right.

And really, if there's anything to be said about the LEGO brand, it offers way too much creative storytelling potential for it to be exhausted after a single movie. So it's not as though a sequel will be forced to retread old ground by default.

• Upvote 3

I don't understand this movie to be any more "closed off" than any other movie that tells a complete story (like the original Toy Story, for example). The established universe and characters have plenty of potential for continued adventures, especially since the major twist in the third act broadens the significance of their universe considerably.

There is a possibility that the second movie won't be able to live up to the standard that the first set, but considering how amazing the first movie was, even a sequel that falls short of that level of greatness can still be great in its own right.

And really, if there's anything to be said about the LEGO brand, it offers way too much creative storytelling potential for it to be exhausted after a single movie. So it's not as though a sequel will be forced to retread old ground by default.

The difference is, with Toy Story, when they made a sequel, they planned it out. They waited until they had a good concept before even thinking of announcing a sequel, or at least I'm pretty sure they did. This? The movie wasn't even RELEASED when they announced plans for a sequel, plans that so far aren't even stated to have the original TEAM working on it. Without the same spirit that drove the first, I don't see how a second could even hope to live in the shadow of the first, or even be worth it at all. There's no heart, no idea, nothing but a "need" for another movie.

The difference is, with Toy Story, when they made a sequel, they planned it out. They waited until they had a good concept before even thinking of announcing a sequel, or at least I'm pretty sure they did. This? The movie wasn't even RELEASED when they announced plans for a sequel, plans that so far aren't even stated to have the original TEAM working on it. Without the same spirit that drove the first, I don't see how a second could even hope to live in the shadow of the first, or even be worth it at all. There's no heart, no idea, nothing but a "need" for another movie.

Maybe they already HAVE planned out a sequel

20795.jpg

Maybe they already HAVE planned out a sequel

I highly doubt it; considering how soon the announcement came, and that the writers don't appear to have been the same writers from the first movie, and the original directors and such don't seem to be affiliated with the project, the likelihood it was planned out seems small. This seems far more like "We're going to make a KILLING with this film. Let's make another one ASAP."

While I haven't seen the movie itself yet, I know it's good and naturally, people would think it a great idea. I have mixed feelings about it for many reasons, so I'll list them off.
Cons
  • The movie could stink - We all know that this reason is one of the ugliest. See, sequels are a continuation of the first movie and were created so you wouldn't have to guess what happens next. People like the LEGO Movie so much, they'd think a sequel couldn't go wrong. But if it did, "The LEGO Movie 2" would be nothing but a disappointment; that one DVD in your collection that you never watch. One reason why it might stink would be-
  • Magic that a sequel can't recapture - Good movies have this feeling in it that makes it so... good. It's the "magic" of the movie. Sometimes, sequels tend to feel different from the prequel and ultimately end up ruining the magic and the sequel just feels like a different movie with a different title slapped onto it! But yeah. Disappointing.
  • Not so special - There's a chance that the LEGO Movie might become less special due to the existence of a sequel. Think about it, if LEGO Movie sequels were made, then the prequel doesn't feel all that special due to all the add-ons out there. Okay, Star Wars is an exception because it was meant to be a franchise all along. I think.

Pros

• Good for the kids - We aren't the only age group that liked the movie; and we all know that. Kids would love a sequel to the LEGO Movie, but that's really just me who thinks making another movie for the kids is a good idea, right?
  • Marketing opportunity - With enough merchandise to choke a kraken, the LEGO Movie was a financial success as well. A sequel may just seem like a greedy attempt in some cases, but at least the LEGO Company will make money off a sequel so it can continue making products for all the smiling people out there!
  • It might be good - They'll never know unless they try! Who knows, maybe a sequel to the LEGO Movie really is a great idea! They're gonna have to make it and see what the audience thinks. It'd be a shame if they missed a good opportunity, but there's a 50/50 chance a sequel will actually be good.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Now, this is just my opinion and I didn't intend to say the wrong thing if I did say anything wrong. Overall, I think a sequel would be nice, but there's still the Cons to consider. Yeah, I chose all the big problems! Whoops! :D Putting the Cons aside, I think it's safe enough to risk a sequel, but that's just me...

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 weeks later...

my thoughts on the matter

> lego movie very disappointingly didnt have lego island
> theorized like a week ago that the lego movie sequel would have lego island to make up for it and would be released in 2017 for lego islands 20th anniversary
> get this news
> 2017 release
> lego island confirmed for lego movie 2

bionicle is trans culture

No going to lie; it was a little disappointing The Lego Movie didn't have more Bionicle. Personally, I would have loved that.....

I think the movie holds up really well in my opinion. I remember how worried I was that Hollywood would screw up The Lego Movie. I'm happy to say that it exceeded far beyond my expectations.