LEGO Movie Does 'Awesome' in the Box Office

After receiving critical praise, the weekend box office results are in for The LEGO Movie. In addition to its <a href='http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lego_movie/' target='offsite'>95% Fresh</a> rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Box Office Mojo <a href='http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3783&p=.htm' target='offsite'>reports</a> that the film grossed an estimated $69.1 million in the US this weekend. This is the second highest debut in February ever, and is one of the top-grossing weekends for an original animated movie, ranking up there with the likes of Up, The Incredibles, and The Simpsons Movie. I'm excited to see that it's not just the diehard fans who are enjoying the film, and that kids and adults of all ages are heading to theaters to see it. Now we just have to wait and see how high it goes! I guess I could see it in theaters a third time...

View the full article

• Upvote 4

Aw, it's down to 95%? It was 97% two days ago and even 100% for a decent amount of time. That's genuinely impressive.

I'm amazed at how well it's doing, but after seeing it, I can't help but feel it's expected. This is just a good movie.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Thank god. I was betting my friend when we went to go watch it that the theater would be packed. He wouldn't believe, thinking I'm stupid since it's "just a movie centered on Lego." The movie only had like, 30 people in it, so I was slightly disheartened. But now that I think about it, we did see the 10 pm movie the day before the official release in all the bigger theaters, and it was in Westwood, where all us UCLA bums go around at night :)

Good to hear this though. I thought the movie was great! And after reading a technical analysis about all the references and jokes, I'm down to watch it a second time, and a third, and maybe a fourth. And then buy it when it is released on DVD :)

• Upvote 1

I totally called it making 100 million in the first week (not weekend), and now it looks like it might go way over that threshold. Here's hoping it stays at the top for at least a few weeks - I don't really see anything else coming up this month that looks like it deserves to snatch that spot.

• Upvote 1

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

My friends think that it's ridiculous.

Step back - it's a movie about a specific brand of toy to promote said toy.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

So? Still a fantastic story with some fantastic messages.

In this day and age, the merchandise tie-in is a big deal, especially for family films. That doesn't mean a movie based on a toy is inherently worse than the other way around (a movie with toys based on it). As long as there are quality stories to be told about a toy, a movie based on that toy will have the potential to tell a quality story. The same as with anything else you might base a movie on, be it a book, radio show, TV series, or video game.

This is especially true of a toy like LEGO that represents something other than the object it depicts. A LEGO brick is literally a building block of creativity.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 2

So? Still a fantastic story with some fantastic messages.

In this day and age, the merchandise tie-in is a big deal, especially for family films. That doesn't mean a movie based on a toy is inherently worse than the other way around (a movie with toys based on it). As long as there are quality stories to be told about a toy, a movie based on that toy will have the potential to tell a quality story. The same as with anything else you might base a movie on, be it a book, radio show, TV series, or video game.

This is especially true of a toy like LEGO that represents something other than the object it depicts. A LEGO brick is literally a building block of creativity.

I'm gonna chime in here too.

Movies like Transformers or what-have-you are based on toys and about toys too, technically. What sets The Lego Movie apart is its execution, not just that is so well (as Aanchir said), but that it plays with the idea of it being a movie about a toy. The movie knows full well it's about a toy and doesn't try to window dress it as anything else (and again, the Third Act Plot Twist no one wants to spoil drive home this postmodern idea all the more). It's a lot like Toy Story in that regard.

So yes. I'm glad to see this movie kicking butt at the box office.

• Upvote 3

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky