Would You Like The Bionicle Books Posted Online?

fishers64

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally think it's best if they just stay as ink on paper. Putting them online would just ruin the name of BIONICLE for me, and many others, I assume. If it does get put online, then it would have been as if no one cared enough to protect the great work we all hold so dear.There's my 3 and a half cents. t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I would love that... but the truth is, there is absolutely no @#$%&*%@$#&*@ way Lego and Scholastic will EVER even consider putting them on the web. They didn't even make Graphic Novel #10 because they thought it'd do badly; forget about losing chances to make a profit.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

It's just about the only way I'd ever get around to reading them, so yes.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

It'd be nice, but I'd much rather Greg get the money so that he can support his family.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

I personally think it's best if they just stay as ink on paper. Putting them online would just ruin the name of BIONICLE for me, and many others, I assume. If it does get put online, then it would have been as if no one cared enough to protect the great work we all hold so dear.There's my 3 and a half cents. t1ssig.png

It's hardly Shakespeare. Also, given that pretty much every other story medium is available for free online (comics, movies etc), surely the 'name of Bionicle' is already ruined (whatever the heck you actually mean by that)?

Nope. People would lose money, meaning Lego and Scholastic. If you want to read them, go buy them.

Because it is, of course, that simple, because America is the only place that there is, and if they're available to buy there, then they're available everywhere else. If people want to read them, they should just move to America!!! Since the poll doesn't have any specifics about them being free or not, any result becomes basically useless. I voted yes anyway, just because you can find the entirity of The Very Hungry Caterpillar online and this is basically the same thing. - Tilius

I wouldn't want the Chronicles/Adventures/Legends released, but I would like the ones I can't find anywhere, such as The Crossing. Bluh, that one looks really good but I cannot for the life of me find a place to buy it. EDIT: Spelling error.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I would be interested in knowing how much money is being made from those books now that the Bionicle franchise is technically over. It's not like it's going to get much new blood; the target audience isn't likely to find Bionicle without sets out there to grab their attention.I myself would like the books to be available online, mostly as a reference. To be honest, I'm reluctant to spend money on them. I enjoyed them when I was younger (I read up to Inferno, I think), but now that I'm older and the story's mostly done I don't see much to be gotten out of them.~QMark

le-koro_concert.png

Talking Over an Ocean - Hahli and Amaya are best friends.

I voted no, assuming that the topic refers to posting them online, free for anyone to read. Those books were written with intent to sell, and the investments of fans who bought the books would be wasted if the content were available for free. But there's an easy remedy for fans who never got a chance to buy the books: Scholastic should sell them as eBooks for all the major platforms. That way fans could catch up on old story, and Scholastic and LEGO would still get their money's worth.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

And honestly -barring the legal aspect, there's NO difference between downloading something for free that's no longer being published and buying it from, let's say, a private seller on Amazon. In both cases you're getting something from a person that paid for the original product, and in both cases the originated company doesn't get a single cent of the money being made. If anything, it's better to put the books online for free, because it means private sellers won't make money off of Scholastic/LEGO by re-selling out-of-publication materials. Especially when you consider these sellers are charging $20 and more for the books.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

No, it's not legal!

Neither's gay marriage. Being illegal doesn't make it wrong.- Tilius
Plus, it's not like Lego or Scholastic will earn anything from them. Brutal, cold, hard fact: nobody wants to buy them.-Dovydas
I still think they would prefer to go the eBook route. As far as I know, it costs very little to offer eBooks for sale (seeing as there are technically no production costs besides the one-time process of converting the book to an electronic format), and thus even if very few people bought the books, Scholastic would still make a profit.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 3 weeks later...

No, it's not legal!

Since sharing what is rightfully Lego/Scholastic's content online without their permission is illegal - and wrong; it's not yours to share - I say just get the books off of eBay if you want them so badly.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

No, it's not legal!

Since sharing what is rightfully Lego/Scholastic's content online without their permission is illegal - and wrong; it's not yours to share - I say just get the books off of eBay if you want them so badly.
Excuse me, I can get those books out of my local library anytime I like, and it's free. Please don't flame. Isn't posting them online similar to that? Or even releasing an eBook?

No, it's not legal!

Excuse me, I can get those books out of my local library anytime I like, and it's free. Please don't flame.Isn't posting them online similar to that? Or even releasing an eBook?
Only Scholastic can post the series online, since they own the copyright to the books. Same goes for an ebook.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Should they? Possibly. The Bionicle sets aren't being sold anymore, but it's possible the books could still generate a profit.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

No, it's not legal!

Plus, it's not like Lego or Scholastic will earn anything from them. Brutal, cold, hard fact: nobody wants to buy them.-Dovydas
And how would you convince Scholastic of this?
I don't think they'd need convincing at this point. I'm sure the books are long out of print by now, and any sales they still bring in are negligible.However, a lack of sales of the books does not a reason to put them online make, much as we may like it to be. Even establishing them as paid ebooks would likely be seen as a waste of time in their eyes, due to a combination of low sales potential and small market (maybe I'm just out of touch with technology these days, but I'm pretty sure ebooks aren't very popular among the age group they'd be selling to.)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

No, it's not legal!

I don't want them at all. My point is simply that 'It's illegal, so that means it's wrong' is an utterly stupid thing to say.- Tilius

It'd be absolutely wonderful to have them online. I've been dreaming about that for a long time. Besides, it wouldn't really hurt Lego or Scholastic in any way.It's also not easy for me to buy the books. I live in Finland, so I never could buy them here. I've bought some of them online but it's a difficult process.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

• 3 years later...