Platinum Avohkii Purchased By BZPower Member

It's been a long time coming, but BZPower Member Mask collector has finally made one of his dreams come true - he is the proud owner of the one-of-a-kind platinum Avohkii, a prize from the 2003 Cartoon Network contest celebrating the Mask of Light movie. You can see his topic about the acquisition <a href='http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=12083'>here</a>. The $15,000 that Mask collector paid may be the most anyone has ever spent for a single LEGO piece, and the transaction was big enough to warrant <a href='http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20140217/articles/140219597' target='offsite'>an article in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat</a>. Congratulations to Mask collector for finally obtaining this coveted mask!

View the full article

• Upvote 2

This is awesome. It's awesome that the mask has remained within the BIONICLE fan community, it's awesome that the press covered it, it's awesome that the comments to the news article don't make any disparaging comments about either the seller or the buyer (I guarantee you that a lot of news sites would be full of "what a waste of money/what a scam" type comments), it's awesome that a BZPower member made the effort and the commitment to raise enough money to buy the mask, and it's awesome that it seems to have been a happy ending for everyone. Everything, pardon the reference, is awesome.

• Upvote 4

^^ What Aanchir said. So cool to see that it still remains unforgotten and also was in the newspaper!

Congratulations!

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I was so close to actually seeing it when the previous owner brought it to his store to display one last time before he sold it (I live an hour away from his store). Alas, I was out of town that weekend, so it's great that the piece has remained in the Lego community so that one day, I might have the chance too see it in person. Congratulations to Mask Collector for hitting the ultimate Bionicle jackpot.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

This seen like a bit of a waste of money, 15,000$ for a little mask. You could buy a lot better things with 15,000$, and what is the use of owning it. In the end it all comes down to nothing, it's just a little piece of metal in someone's hand somewhere.

For a lot cheaper you could buy a custom 3d printed Bionicle mask from Shapeways, that would look a lot cooler.

MC is 20 years old, what is he going to be doing with this little mask? This seems like a huge waste of money to me, I don't know why you guys are congratulating him on doing something so obviously foolish with his money. Now it is his money, and he can chose to do what he wants with it, but I'd think someone his age would be a lot more responsible with it.

Now this is just my opinion, you can say I'm wrong, and send me PMs full of spam if you want too. But I will still keep my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me, I think it is great that he has finally been able to buy what he has wanted to buy for a while.

I'm just saying that this seems to be a waste of money.

Edited by ldd2000
  • Upvote 2

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

promo_banner.png

Creating topic for Idd2000, please don't post until he does.

Or he'll eat you

This seen like a bit of a waste of money, 15,000$ for a little mask. You could buy a lot better things with 15,000$, and what is the use of owning it. In the end it all comes down to nothing, it's just a little piece of metal in someone's hand somewhere.

For a lot cheaper you could buy a custom 3d printed Bionicle mask from Shapeways, that would look a lot cooler.

MC is 20 years old, what is he going to be doing with this little mask? This seems like a huge waste of money to me, I don't know why you guys are congratulating him on doing something so obviously foolish with his money. Now it is his money, and he can chose to do what he wants with it, but I'd think someone his age would be a lot more responsible with it.

Now this is just my opinion, you can say I'm wrong, and send me PMs full of spam if you want too. But I will still keep my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me, I think it is great that he has finally been able to buy what he has wanted to buy for a while.

You seem to have missed an important facet of this kind of transaction. He isn't paying something for nothing — far from it. If this mask appreciates in value even the slightest bit in the future (which, judging from its increase in value since 2003, it very well might), then he can resell it for more than what he paid for it. He will have made money, not wasted it.

Furthermore, let's keep in mind that he didn't have $15,000 in spending money before he became interested in obtaining this mask. He sold a lot of his BIONICLE collection in order to reach that goal. So this was clearly an investment he put a lot of planning into, not just a thoughtless and frivolous purchase. It's a much safer bet that a one-of-a-kind collectible item will appreciate significantly in value over the years than that a collection of mass-produced toys from the past decade and a half will do the same.

So this is more than just "a little piece of metal in someone's hand somewhere," and none of us are in any position to tell Mask Collector that his decision was foolish or irresponsible, least of all those of us who have no practical experience in the high-end collectibles market.

• Upvote 5

You seem to have missed an important facet of this kind of transaction. He isn't paying something for nothing — far from it. If this mask appreciates in value even the slightest bit in the future (which, judging from its increase in value since 2003, it very well might), then he can resell it for more than what he paid for it. He will have made money, not wasted it.

Furthermore, let's keep in mind that he didn't have $15,000 in spending money before he became interested in obtaining this mask. He sold a lot of his BIONICLE collection in order to reach that goal. So this was clearly an investment he put a lot of planning into, not just a thoughtless and frivolous purchase. It's a much safer bet that a one-of-a-kind collectible item will appreciate significantly in value over the years than that a collection of mass-produced toys from the past decade and a half will do the same.

So this is more than just "a little piece of metal in someone's hand somewhere," and none of us are in any position to tell Mask Collector that his decision was foolish or irresponsible, least of all those of us who have no practical experience in the high-end collectibles market.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you, I didn't think about the values increasing over time.

ldd2000

Proud New owner of

Nuri Technologies

http://nuritech.co/

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

promo_banner.png

Creating topic for Idd2000, please don't post until he does.

Or he'll eat you

Just an FYI to the nay-sayer crowd:

From an investment point of view, this is pretty sound. The Avohkii is going to be worth quite a lot to the collector crowd in the near future. In addition, it's made out of platinum. A good sized hunk of platinum is also worth quite the pretty penny.

But let's not rip on his choices and instead simply respect them.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?