Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

Well, I've approached Draezeth's Marine guy now (Suran). Hopefully that will goad me in the right direction of wherever this "meeting of the Marines" may take place.

I technically joined the Marines yesterday, so I'm not the best person to get you initiated, but I'll do what I can.

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

I meant more along the lines of getting directed to and making contact with the remaining Marines and such, so yeah.

Behind this sucky post count, a writer and hardcore RPer lies in wait of a reason to post...

For those who will likely ask when reading some of my non-RP posts: for me, "*shot*' = "I know that what I said was something stupid and I am acknowledging this before people think I'm serious."

Oh yeah, and my current BZPRPG character bio can be found here.

"Why...me? Oh yeah, that's right. I'm weak. I'm of a minority, a minority of people with a common trait: we hear too much. And what we're supposed to hear hurts to hear. When I'm alone in a silent room, I can hear a pebble dropping from a mile away. I can hear a motor boat being started up several yards off the coast. A whisper from outside, I can hear as if they were talking right at me. An explosion in another koro, I hear as if it's just outside. Sounds useful, right?"

"Wrong."

"It's a curse, if you ask me. The same pen dropping inside this aforementioned silent room would ring in my ears. If I stood by the same motor, I'd get a headache. The same whisper would ring in my ear like two metal beams being slammed together in front of my face. The same explosion would render me deaf for years...thank the Spirit I thought of getting me something to dampen the noise, or I'd end up like the rest of my kind..."

~Voutok S'Tythe; unknown date, unknown location

Since nobody ever posted about the main force of the Marines showing up during the massive fight, they would all be at the Marine HQ. Or killed by all the one-shots, but I figure those were just the really bad Marines that had that happen to them.

You could probably say that they were gearing up and started out too late.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Or, you know, you can consider the fact that traditionally lots of police officers (Marines are the police force, so this applies) are deployed to large scale events like inaugurations. Which is what that event was meant to be. Ketan was to be instated as leader of the village, so there would be lots of security. Which means that the troops there were the main force.

This is simple logic. Plus, you seem to be forgetting that it wasn't that the Marines were slaughtered in open combat (Though considering the fact that they were up against a team of Toa that they all but revered, they would have been in open combat anyway), they were caught off guard. It was a surprise attack.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

There were only a few Marines killed. The Commander, one who got spitted on and arm and a squad that got a cauldron of hot stuff dropped on their heads. Only a couple of them were caught off guard when they were killed.

There were Marines there, sure, but not as many as you would probably see at say, a governor's inauguration.

I'd rather go with what I said then the conclusion that three or so Toa killed all the defenders of an entire koro.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Obviously they didn't kill an entire koro, assuming that is simply nonsense. But it is quite likely that a signifiant number of marines were killed. Taking into account the number of individuals likely present for the event, and the low amount of time needed to dispatch more to the scene, it is almost certain that a significant portion of the force perished.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

And these are Matoran up against Toa. Just saying.

Tarnok v. Liacada, Sulov v. Vortixx, Sulov v. Rahkshi, Sulov v. Toa, Sulov v. Anyone, Trakuda v. Rahkshi.... Need I go on?

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

Keep in mind that the Daedra quickly turned against each other, so the Marines' primary concern changed from defending themselves to evacuating civilians and securing the docks from the rest of the village, to keep the threat contained. Why enter a battle when you can just wait and let your opponents take each other out?

Tarnok v. Liacada, Sulov v. Vortixx, Sulov v. Rahkshi, Sulov v. Toa, Sulov v. Anyone, Trakuda v. Rahkshi.... Need I go on?

Funny how half of those are Sulov ;)

And R.I.P Trakuda. You made a great bomb.

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

There are a good deal of Toa in each of the Guards, they are not made up entirely of Matoran. And I never said that they killed the entire koro.

Of course, this is also partly me trying to come up with a way they did not run roughshod over Friar Tuck's guide and then start kicking it.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

How many times does it have to be said that this part doesn't really matter at all in this game?

It does matter.

Obviously, the skill of your writing is vastly more important, but the Toa is more likely to win with all of their extra powers and stuff. Saying it doesn't matter at all is just wrong.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

True, true. There are an awful lot of factors in and around battles that can influence that outcome. Given the right conditions, it is possible for a being without magical powers to beat a being with magical powers. I'm not denying that.

But having powers helps. A lot. Especially if you're clever with them.

ppg2.png

No, in fact, it really doesn't matter if you have powers or not, even if you're clever with them. Because it's always possible for the other person to stay a step ahead, or always out of your reach. They might have set traps, they could have led the unsuspecting person into a nest of angry Rahi, they might just have gotten away unharmed.

Really, saying that having powers matters is like saying the Empire's technology mattered on Endor.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

No, in fact, it really doesn't matter if you have powers or not, even if you're clever with them. Because it's always possible for the other person to stay a step ahead, or always out of your reach. They might have set traps, they could have led the unsuspecting person into a nest of angry Rahi, they might just have gotten away unharmed.

Really, saying that having powers matters is like saying the Empire's technology mattered on Endor.

It mattered, because the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

-Dovydas

Always staying a step ahead, or sometimes even knowing something's gonna happen...wouldn't that be meta-gaming?

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

Always staying a step ahead, or sometimes even knowing something's gonna happen...wouldn't that be meta-gaming?

He didn't say these people would "know something's gonna happen". He said they'd have previously prepared.

-Dovydas

Yes, of course it's possible for a powerless person to defeat someone with powers. I'm not arguing that.

But it's harder for them to win. Powers matter. They change things. They make the powerless combatant have to take a different strategy. It forces them to be more cautious.

Really, saying that having powers doesn't matter is like saying a Jedi is no better than some stormtrooper.

So I've been seeing Ta, Ga, and Le-Koro mentioned a lot here, but can anyone inform me of who is currently taking charge of Ko-Koro's defences?

- Indigo Individual

Nobody is. There hasn't been much activity there.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

@Vorex: You are, of course. Didn't anyone tell you?

welp, I guess we're all screwed

time to join those ILF folks and hope the Rahkshi just turn around and walk away or something

- Indigo Individual

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

So I've been seeing Ta, Ga, and Le-Koro mentioned a lot here, but can anyone inform me of who is currently taking charge of Ko-Koro's defences?

The Sanctum Guard, probably. The Toa Ancora are there too, though some of their number are busy evacuating Matoran from a collapsed bank.

The Sanctum Guard, probably. The Toa Ancora are there too, though some of their number are busy evacuating Matoran from a collapsed bank.

Too busy to prepare against an entire legion of Rahkshi on their doorstep? :P

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Yes, of course it's possible for a powerless person to defeat someone with powers. I'm not arguing that.

But it's harder for them to win. Powers matter. They change things. They make the powerless combatant have to take a different strategy. It forces them to be more cautious.

Really, saying that having powers doesn't matter is like saying a Jedi is no better than some stormtrooper.

The harder to win argument is already covered by the fact that the being with powers is bigger and stronger as it is. And saying it requires them to have to take a different strategy is only in the event that the powered being is a surprise.Saying that the powers actually matter is like saying that the Death Star is more powerful than Palpatine.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

Too many Star Wars references, this argument has.

Edited by Voutok S'Tythe (Ray)

Behind this sucky post count, a writer and hardcore RPer lies in wait of a reason to post...

For those who will likely ask when reading some of my non-RP posts: for me, "*shot*' = "I know that what I said was something stupid and I am acknowledging this before people think I'm serious."

Oh yeah, and my current BZPRPG character bio can be found here.

"Why...me? Oh yeah, that's right. I'm weak. I'm of a minority, a minority of people with a common trait: we hear too much. And what we're supposed to hear hurts to hear. When I'm alone in a silent room, I can hear a pebble dropping from a mile away. I can hear a motor boat being started up several yards off the coast. A whisper from outside, I can hear as if they were talking right at me. An explosion in another koro, I hear as if it's just outside. Sounds useful, right?"

"Wrong."

"It's a curse, if you ask me. The same pen dropping inside this aforementioned silent room would ring in my ears. If I stood by the same motor, I'd get a headache. The same whisper would ring in my ear like two metal beams being slammed together in front of my face. The same explosion would render me deaf for years...thank the Spirit I thought of getting me something to dampen the noise, or I'd end up like the rest of my kind..."

~Voutok S'Tythe; unknown date, unknown location

The Guard can prepare; it's not the Ancora's job to lead the defence of the village. There are Matoran buried alive that need to be rescued. It's the classic argument between saving the few or saving the many.

The Guard can prepare; it's not the Ancora's job to lead the defence of the village. There are Matoran buried alive that need to be rescued. It's the classic argument between saving the few or saving the many.

Indeed. I was joking, anyway :P They don't seem like the most utilitarian bunch.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Is the Sanctum's exit into the Drifts well known? The ILF could have the civilians gather shelter materials, and evacuate them there.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no, powers actually don't matter. We're playing a role-playing game, but the RP bit is far more important than the G, chaps and chappettes. We're writing a collaborative story here, nobody actually gets to win. There's no real destination, so try and enjoy the journey, yeah? The point of this is to enjoy writing about your character and help tell a story that everyone will remember.

My memories of the old BZPRPG are some of the fondest I have of any literature in any form, and it's completely nothing to do with who "won". I played a one-armed Matoran, for goodness' sake, and I had a blast getting the living daylights kicked out of me by other players' characters - not necessarily because they were more powerful or 'better' than mine, but because it made a better story. The only competition in the old game, as I remember, was trying to write better and better posts. From what I've seen, a lot of your writing is excellent. Make that your primary tool, not your MEGA AWESOME SWORD OF +13 FIRE.

If you want to discuss tactics and the like, do it in-game. Not every character is going to be a tactical genius. You're not some deity pushing a pawn around, you are the pawn.

Just a grumpy old man giving his two cents... :)

Edited by Tahakki
[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kixo/bzp/bzpbanner.swf
Previously known as tahakki-nuva, Zyglakky Tahakky, Dougal and Mister Brown Sauce. :P
qs7001.jpg