Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

i think that the power to eat is overpowered, because when you eat you get energy, and when you get energy you can do an action, and when you can do an action you can attack, and since attacking assumes that the character being attacked won't attack you first it's a form of godmodding... Levacius Zehvor-inspired rant aside, some of the mask limitations I just saw seemed fairly arbitrary. In order:Telepathy isn't really that powerful - literally all it can do is read minds and communicate directly with them. Kongu's organic mask admittedly made his a mite overpowered, but normal Suletu are probably not always on, nor do they take literally no focus to trigger.Clairvoyance is an amazing foreshadowing power, and it rarely if ever works. I fail to see why it wouldn't be fine to have it - few less plot-vital (read: more combat-centric, less story-centric) characters would have it, and it'd be great for foreshadowing for mini-plots or even the Staff Plot of Doom.Mask of Rahi Control isn't even that strong. "I'm in Ga-Wahi and I summon some fish." Yay.Emulation is ridiculously underpowered - it's literally one of the most nerfed masks ever. And for what? Yay, you get to copy one power for a bit. Then your mask shuts off, and you're stuck without a mask power for the next fifteen minutes.The Felnas I'll give you, if only because "I have the only Mask of Disruption" is Heuani's gig.The Jutlin... I'm not even sure why this would be banned. "Moral" characters wouldn't use it anyhow.Avsa is wicked overpowered, especially in the hands of someone with no sense of plot. I'll give you banning this one.The Crast is pretty much perfectly balanced in my eyes, not sure why you'd deny this one.Dear Mata Nui not the Mohtrek get it away from me.Shelek is another pretty balanced power, especially compared to some permitted masks like Quick Travel.Sanok is a mask I've seen a lot of misconceptions about, so I'll say how I see it now: the Sanok can increase the accuracy, but if the foe moves after your shot, your projectiles won't magically teleport over to them. It's dodgeable, but clever aim can make it hard to dodge. I think someone said it was banned, but Nuju's actually approved a character of mine who has it.The Faxon is versitale, but without a properly braniac character, it's less useful than one might think. Especially true on Mata Nui, where most Rahi tend not to have special powers.Avohkii and Kraahkan I can see being banned, because there's only one of each anyhow.

The Rode... I'm not really sure why exactly this would be banned. It's not useful in combat, meaning a lot of combat-centric characters would stray away from it, and it's decent in "the villain's been caught" contexts to give the caught one a little extra challenge.

Olmak could do all sorts of crazy things in the hands of the wrong character, and there were only two anyways. Definitely banned for a good reason.

The Mask of Charisma... well, I understand if you want "good old-fashioned charisma," but the mask would be useful for a manipulator-type character - even more so if he wasn't actually that persuasive without it. :P

Olisi is definitely banned for good reason, and I'm fairly sure that there was only one anyways.

Mask of Mutation would just get stupid in the hands of anyone less than a skilled player.

I think the Mask of Scavenging is banned, even though it has next to no reason to be. Deaths aren't even that common in this RP, so it wouldn't really be too useful.

The Mask of Adaptation isn't really that powerful. I fail to see why it wouldn't be permitted.

With some of the weird human-like Toa we've got here, I guess Aging could be outlawed. It's also permanently weakening, so there's that.

Conjuring is literally the most nerfed Kanohi. I fail to see why it wouldn't be allowed, especially since any attempt at doing something stupid could be legitimately crushed by staff without even having to go into a full-fledged smiting process.

Mask of Fusion is a weird power - since there aren't Kaita here, I guess it's not a very important mask. There's also the fact that it ruins any and all attempts at close combat when first activated.

Incomprehension is another "why would it be banned?" power for me. It allows for some teamwork-hindering scenarios, useful when trying to forge a team - I've got an image in my mind of an older Toa who trains Toa Teams with this mask.

Undeath is really kind of stupid unless you're doing something plot-related with it, to be honest.

The infamous Komau could technically be considered an excuse to godmod... but let's be honest here. Which characters would sit there and let their allies be mind-controlled while the controller stands there completely vulnerable, and which characters would let themselves be mind-controlled? I personally would love to have some of my characters go up against a Komau user - it'd be great for development. But yeah, it could probably be abused to a way-too-large degree by less plot-vital characters, so it's not likely to ever happen.

And, uh, I think that's all. Feel free to correct me on any of this, and please help me out on understanding why exactly some of these would be banned.

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Masks that should be banned: Any that grant even a tiny degree of Bunnying (Telepathy), Metagaming (Rode, Clairvoyance) and other things that a normal character cannot do to other characters.

Masks that should not be banned: any that are perfectly balanced and have nothing to do with mind control (telepathy), and those which cannot actually metagame (Rode, Clairvoyance).

By that standard, the Hau should be banned. It allows the user to block attacks without moving their arms, which cannot be done without the mask. Not to mention masks like the Mahiki, which allows shapeshifting and illusions, and the Kualisi, which allows the user to teleport spam everywhere. A normal character couldn't do either of those!

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

IC KetruThe toa of gravity listened hard to the captive's words. They did hold some merit to them; the Kumu Islets was a place for exiles after all, but the blwoing up of them? "That wasn't us," Ketru thought. "Dehkaz," he said, turning to the major. "I was in the Islets just yesterday and I didn't notice anything that would suggest a bomb, let alone one of this size. Unless the Military sent an extremely covert special ops team equipped with a super bomb, he can't be telling the truth."

Did your character just magically teleport beside Dehkaz? Because Dehkaz is inside a locked, heavily guarded room inside the Gukko force HQ.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Hey gaaaiiizz. I herd dat the Cultured Gentry are evul. How?

I read their MINDS.

DERAILING TIME.

Two words: mental shielding. AKA: Mental plot armor. See also: characters who would try to use a Suletu not being able to get to the Gentry, or even have enough suspicion to read their minds in the first place.

Problem solved.

If I had the power to read minds, I would. All the time. Mask of truth is always on.

Would you? Would you really? Would you be able to stand the constant buzz of everyone's thoughts, all their personal business and stress, pouring into your brain all day, every day? Would you be able to prevent yourself from going completely insane with the torrent of thoughts pouring into your single, feeble mind? Would you even be remotely sane after walking through a single Koro with a Suletu listening to everyone's thoughts?

(Hint: the answers are all either "no" or "almost definitely not.")

So you can sense that someone's lying. Great. Now, can you tell half-lies apart from full lies? Can you tell white lies meant to keep chaos from erupting apart from lies just meant to keep someone in power? No? Well then.

Hey gaaaiz. Let's read the minds of the Peeeers.

The Suletu can be abused so easily it isn't even funny. Besides, there is nobody with mental shielding.

And Kaithas admitted he would abuse said powers all the time if they were allowed, so yeaaaaaaaah.

That sentence makes no sense. None whatsoever.

Are you telling me that Nuju would just let some random noob read Makuta's mind? Methinks the answer is no.

Edited by Meta-Mind

Which is why Telepathy is baaaanned.

And it's also banned since its only use is metagaming. Reading other people's minds? Classic metagaming scenario.

Because Mata Nui forbid that we have a common Bionicle mask in a Bionicle RPG.

...Aaaaaanyways, moving on from that: anyone have anything to say on the topics of any other masks? It appears that the Suletu is the only one under discussion at the moment, even though I brought up a bunch of other masks which happen to be banned.

On an entirely mask-unrelated note: I presume the Le-Koro battle ended in an abrupt curb-stomp?

Mask of Rahi Control isn't even that strong. "I'm in Ga-Wahi and I summon some fish." Yay.

Hey guys, Imma sending my army of Great Temple Squids to attack your village.

There's only one Great Temple Squid, and it'd likely be a lucky Zatth summon rather than a Rahi Control Rahi. Besides, it'd be kind of hard to get to, seeing as no one even knows where it is.

Clairvoyance can be one of two things. Either a: For getting involved in a plot you shouldn't, or b: as a plot device, in which case it's a big dues ex machina.Also, pretty much useless outside of your own plot.

...Do you actually know what a Deus Ex Machina is? Hint: it has nothing to do with prophecy.

Deus Ex Machina is when something really unpredictable happens that radically changes the plot (such as a random skakdi falling through the roof of a building where a toa is being kept hostage. In his confusion, the skakdi "Accidentally" severs the toa's bonds)

I think you're getting the squid mixed up with the Dweller in the Deep.

But in my opinion, Shelek, Jutlin, and Crast shouldn't be banned. Conjuring and Emulation are nerfed anyways so they wouldn't be much of a problem. Scavenging would be next to useless unless you kill a lot of rahi, Undeath is just dumb, etc.

Thank you, KNI. ;)

I think you're getting the squid mixed up with the Dweller in the Deep.

A Great Temple Squid had made its way to Mata Nui and attacked Toa Nuva Gali while she was searching for her Kakama Nuva.

Which implies that there's just the one in the Mata Nui area.