Toy Fair 2014: Ultra Agents

TF14_Ultra_Agents_teaser.jpg

Today we're looking at the new Ultra Agents line as part of our Toy Fair 2014 coverage. Continuing the legacy of themes like Agents and Alpha Team, the Ultra Agents have to use cool technology and spy-skills to defeat a variety of supervillains. Read on to check out the awesome sets and see what the theme has to offer!

View the full article

Nice coverage. I appreciate the close-up minifigure photos! This theme's villains remind me of the 2010 and 2012 Hero Factory villains, what with their colorful, prominent, and destructive motifs.

The fist pieces on the villain in 70161 actually came out last summer, and were designed for the Gorilla Tribe in Legends of Chima.

The vehicle in 70162 definitely has a Tron light cycle vibe going in its color scheme, but structurally it reminds me more of the "spinners" from the movie Blade Runner. Structurally, I get more of a light cycle vibe from the motorbike in 70164.

I love the HQ truck in 70165, but not as much as the Agents Mobile Command Center, which concealed a briefing room (with working projector), a prison cell, hidden missiles in the cab, a plane, a crane, a communications center with computers and desks, a crane, two boats, two ATVs, and a plane. This one is a little more spacious but includes a bit less content. It has no communications center (unless that's what that center object with the chairs and screens is supposed to be, and if so I don't like it as much as the previous one), no boats, and only one ATV. It may or may not have missiles. The briefing room uses just a stickered screen, not a projected image. And it barely even conceals a plane (which, instead of being hidden inside the trailer, is vertically mounted behind the cab of the truck). Even the mech is fairly underwhelming.

The HQ is clever with regard to building techniques, though. The way it unfolds is quite clever, and it makes great use of the new ball cups from the Mixels and Legend Beasts.

Overall, I don't think I'll be collecting this theme. It's beautiful, but the villains having such different color schemes for their costumes and vehicles makes it feel a little less cohesive for me than the previous Agents theme. Also, I somewhat preferred how the previous Agents theme tended to suggest a little bit more secrecy. Sure, the Agents logo and paint scheme was all over their vehicles, but a lot of the more futuristic features of the vehicles, like hidden missiles, were very well-concealed. In this theme, only the headquarters truck really conceals its futuristic weapons, and it still looks overtly futuristic with regard to its color scheme.

These sets look great, but I don't think I'll be getting them for two reasons.

1. The original Agents theme was pretty much flawless, and I have most of that theme. This theme retreads a lot of that ground and hits many of the same points in new ways, but I'd hesitate to call it an improvement.
  2. With the outstanding showings from Ninjago, Hero Factory, and The Lego Movie this year, I doubt I'd be able to fit this theme into my budget.

If I had missed out on the original Agents theme, and there were fewer other desirable themes this year, I'd be all over this. But since that's not the case I'm forced to allocate my Lego budget elsewhere.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

"Ultra Agents" has to be one of Legos worst theme names. That just sounds like something made up by a three-year-old. At least the sets look decent. The fancy armors and shields look like they could be put to great use as a cyberpunk LotR theme. I may have to get some sets just to try that out.

And I'm pretty sure someone will find a use for that Toxikita body. It looks like it could be a good alien body or something.

"Ultra Agents" has to be one of Legos worst theme names. That just sounds like something made up by a three-year-old. At least the sets look decent. The fancy armors and shields look like they could be put to great use as a cyberpunk LotR theme. I may have to get some sets just to try that out.

And I'm pretty sure someone will find a use for that Toxikita body. It looks like it could be a good alien body or something.

Yeah. What is wrong with simple "Agents"? I guess it's just for the kids, as "Ultra" makes it sound more awesome and exciting... if you're five...

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Yeah. What is wrong with simple "Agents"? I guess it's just for the kids, as "Ultra" makes it sound more awesome and exciting... if you're five...

Well, for one, it makes clear that it's not the same theme as the previous "Agents". Unfortunately, Brickset is still classifying them as the same theme. When two different themes have the same name, it forces fans to come up with their own—like "Fantasy Castle" for the 2006 Castle theme, or in some cases numbering the themes, like with Blacktron or Space Police.

Secondly, it's probably more trademarkable, which may be an important consideration for the multimedia content promised for this theme. App cloning is endemic to both iOS and Android, and having a distinctive name could significantly help Lego's own licensed content stand out.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother