Interesting Facts Topic

JAG18

So, once upon a time on the old forums of yore, there were about four or five topics called "Useless Facts" topics, which I always thought were pretty cool,

so I thought I would resurrect the trend as the "Interesting Facts Topic"!

So basically, just post interesting facts here and see how things go!

I'll start:

You probably know that on the second day at the Battle of Gettysburg, Col. Joshua Chamberlain lead his Maine Regiment a bayonet charge down the hill right into an Alabama Regiment,

routing them, saving the battle and the entire Union cause. What you might not have known is that his Maine regiment was from a small town 400 miles from Gettysburg and that the

men they capture were from a town also 400 miles from Gettysburg. An almost completely straight 800 mile line can be drawn from one town to the other, with Gettysburg being

right in the middle.

Yeesh, sorry it was kind of long, but anyway go post way!

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 1

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

The American Stonehenge and the Stonehenge in England can be seen to be congruent with each other by the alignment of a marking in the American Stonehenge. This marking is the summer solstice line, which if drawn perfectly, goes right through one of the formations of Stonehenge.

This was found by a teenager who I believe lives on the property where the American Stonehenge is, and was investigated by forensic geologist Scott Wolter, on America Unearthed.

• Upvote 2

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Speaking of U. S. Grant...

Grant loved horses and once, before a battle, had a teamster tied to a tree mistreating a horse.

Grant always ate his meat well-done because he would faint at the smallest sight of blood on his plate.

Grant was born Hiram Ulysses Grant, but a clerk at West Point en-rolled him as Ulysses S. Grant, not to

create a fuss (Or risk being nicknamed "Hug") he kept it.

And now for a fact not involving the 18th President.

At any one time their are anywhere from 50 to 100 active serial killers in the U.S. ...that's a conservative estimate.

Edited; for spelling and grammar.

Edited by JAG18

Only six people died in the Great Fire Of London.

Its illegal to hail a taxi if you've got the plague.

You may shoot a welsh-man with a bow and arrow at midnight in Chester.

It's Illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

Edited by Timelady Gallade
  • Upvote 1

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

"Only" fifty people died in Bleeding Kansas.

In Texas, you can be hanged for stealing a horse.

Contrary, to popular belief "Their" can be used as a singular pronoun to refer to a person of either gender.

Chess originated in India, but may have been based on an early game invented in China.

The word "factoid" doesn't mean "interesting little fact", it refers to something that is assumed to be a fact by virtue of how often it's repeated, regardless of whether it's true or not.

So basically, whenever someone posts a "factoid", assume that it's wrong. Because chances are it is anyway.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

During the cold war the presidential launch code for nuclear missiles in the USA was "00000000".

Jimmy Carter accidentally left the nuclear launch codes in his coat pocket when going to the dry-cleaning.

From 2001-2011, the USA have been in DEFCON 0 three times. There has been no explanation for this, leading some to believe it was a malfunction.

-Insert deep message to prove I am alive here-

In the state of Georgia, it is law that you must eat chicken with your hands.

And what if you don't have hands?

Hiram Rhodes Revels was the first African-American elected to congress. His seat was last held by Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy.

A Zweilhander (poor English spelling) was a two handed sword during the 15th and 16th centuries. It was six feet in length and was used to break the heads off of pikes.

Thomas Edison helped invent the electric chair.

Black Six does not like Macadamia nuts.

"In Baltimore, It is illegal to take a lion to the movies."

I don't even want to know...

• Upvote 2

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

You mean a Zweihander?

I was off by one letter, so sue me :P.

Your hair and finger nails do not continue to grow after your death; the skin around them simply retracts causing the appeared growth.

European armies used the bow longer than the crossbow.

Even though it was condemned as the "Butcher Bird of Europe" Prussia only fought three wars from 1815 to 1914. In the same 99 year period, Great Britain fought ten wars.

Britain hasn't been invaded since 1066. Unless you count dead Nazis on the shore.

The Battle of Hastings might not have taken place on the field, it have happened on a roundabout near to it.

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Of the 200 or so nations in the world, only twenty have not been invaded by Great Britain.

The color Orange was named in honor of the fruit.

The Samurai existed from the 900's to about 1871; in that time they fought foreign enemies on two occasions.

According to the U. S. Supreme Court, tomato is a fruit.

No known oath exists for the White Lantern Corps.

The Creeper was actually created by a designing error in making a pig.

Final Fantasy was called so because it was going to be the developer's last game.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

Of the 200 or so nations in the world, only twenty have not been invaded by Great Britain.

brb putting british flags on them.

jk jk

The orginal Lavender Town does not cause headaches in little kids.

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

Britain hasn't been invaded since 1066. Unless you count dead Nazis on the shore.

Britian has been invaded about 70 times since 1066. [Source.]

The U. S. Supreme Court building has a full sized basketball court.

Danial Sickles fought in the Civil War and lost his leg at Gettysburg to a cannon ball. While, being loaded in the stretcher, he heard that some of the men thought he was dead, so Sickles ordered someone to light a cigar to dispel any rumors that he had stopped breathing.

Before, the war, Sickles killed the son of Francis Scott Key, and his lawyer (future U. S. Secretary of War) Edwin Stanton used the first successful temporary insanity plea in U. S. history.

Beer was invented by Monks in a monastery.

Germany was the first country to use Daylight Savings Time.

France has a special military unit known as the French Foreign Legion (FFL), comprised mostly of non-French mercenaries. The FFL's main benefit is that the men can die horribly without any French caring too much.

One FFL commander is quoted as having said, "You Legionaries, you are soldiers meant to die and now I'm sending you to a place where you can do it!"

The Thirty Years War (1618-1648) was the deadliest European conflict up to that time and was not "outdone" until World War 1.

Scotland is planing to hold a referendum to decide whether or not it will make a bid for independence, this September.

Scotland chose to join England in 1707, after losing a fifth of their country's wealth trying to establish a colony in Panama.

Well, that's ten so I think I'll stop.

The reason toast seems to land buttered-side-down more often than buttered-side-up is because most tables are just the right height for the toast to rotate between 90 and 270 degrees.

However, if you butter the toast vigorously enough, the buttered side may develop a concave shape which increases drag on the buttered side, causing air resistance to turn the toast more quickly to the unbuttered side.

Unfortunately, scientists are as of yet unable to answer one of the greatest physics questions of our generation: how does toast?

Probably because it isn't even a full question, silly.

bug_animated.gif

Slightly off topic, but I'm so happy to see my second ever topic perform so well. :)

Now, lets get to the facts.

Beards went out of style in America, after WW1, after all the G.I.s returning home got used to shaving every mourning so they could where gas masks.

"Basket case" is a phrase that means, more or less, a hopeless condition. It entered the English language during WW1; to describe quadruple amputees who had to be carted about in a basket.

His Majesties Royal Navy and the Kaisers High Seas Fleets were having a party, in Germany, when they received word that Archduke Ferdinand had been assassinated. As the British left the Germans sent out an open message saying, "Friends today. Friends in future. Friends forever."

The Red Baron is believed to have shot down almost 70 planes in WW1, to become the world's first true flying Ace; he started the war as a German Lancer.

WW1, saw the first use of the tank, the aircraft carrier, the modern flamethrower, and poison gas.

At the opening day at the Battle of the Somme, the British received over 60,000 causalities, most in just the first hour. After four months, total causalities equaled almost one million and the Allies had gained close to 3 miles.

The Germans, towards war's end, fielded a special type of soldiers, called the Storm Troopers, who stealthy crossed No Man's Land attacking enemy positions with light machine guns and hand grenades. They were George Lucas inspiration for the Stormtroopers of Star Wars.

Trench Warfare wasn't invented in WW1, it was first seen on a large scale in the U.S. Civil War, and also saw smaller use in the New Zealand Wars of the 1840's.

WW1 is the first and only war to be commonly called, "The War to End All Wars".

It's Illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

I'd heard the others, but... this one just cracks me up.

--

The name for PHP, the hypertext preprocessing language, is a recursive acronym, which means one of the letters stands for the whole. In this case, PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor, which stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor: Hypertext Preprocessor... you get the idea. Other examples include GNU (GNU's Not Unix) and ANX (ANX's Not XNA... which stands for XNA's Not Acronymed).

Dinnerbone is colorblind.

banner.jpg

To this day I can't find the end of this comic I found on my hard drive.

Adult joke about a children's show on a toy forum

For the sake of everyone's sanity, here's the ending:

soarincomicending.png

(Full comic by CSImadmax)

As far as interesting facts go...

In 2001, Pizza Hut paid Russia $1 million to deliver a pizza to astronauts aboard the International Space Station. It was salami, because pepperoni would have gone bad.

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

Edited by Makaru
well then

I lost my sanity in 19.95.

To this day I can't find the end of this comic I found on my hard drive.

Adult joke about a children's show on a toy forum

I believe this has to end in something X rated.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, here's the ending:

soarincomicending.png

(Full comic by CSImadmax)

As far as interesting facts go...

In 2001, Pizza Hut paid Russia $1 million to deliver a pizza to astronauts aboard the International Space Station. It was salami, because pepperoni would have gone bad.

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

NOPE

Edited by Makaru
In what universe was that even appropriate

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

During the development of Journey ([captobvious]an indie game, not the band[/captobvious]), ThatGameCompany went near or into bankruptcy (not sure which). Additionally, during beta testing, a glitch caused the game to end prematurely, right after [spoiler ALERT] ​the protagonist apparently dies. Testers found this faux ending so profoundly moving that some were brought to tears, motivating the developers to make the real ending much better.

General Custer served for the United States during the Civil War, at the rank of Colonel (methinks). During an interesting incident, he was asked to ride a horse into a river to determine it's depth. Upon reaching the farthest possible distance he could be above the water, he yelled, "This deep, sir!"

Edited by Dapper-Kun

Morally unambiguous.