Can the name Jala come from Jalapeno?

Also, if "Jala" isn't Maori, I'd love to know why they changed his name to "Jaller." That was always the most bewildering of the name changes that year.

Well, the Maori people of New Zealand aren't the only culture that might be sensitive about their traditional language being commercialized. But beyond that, I think the LEGO Group was mainly just seeking to "play it safe" since the movie BIONICLE: Mask of Light was going to be a much bigger venture than their previous media, and one that might get much greater global exposure than some of their previous story platforms.

I thought "Gukko" was the most perplexing name change, personally. I figure it's probably derived from the previous term "Goko-Kahu" (an alternate name for the Kewa), but it still seemed slightly out-of-nowhere, and it didn't help that the creature itself bore very little resemblance to the vulture-like Kewa or the hawk-like Kahu, which it was ostensibly supposed to be related to.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, but I can't find anything that suggests "Jala" was taken from another language. There are a few towns around the world with that name, and it looks like it's an obscure synonym for "water" in Sanskrit, but that's all I can find for it.

But mostly it's the weirdness of the respelling itself that always got to me. Why the silent R? It doesn't sit well with the rest of BIONICLE's spelling conventions at the time.

Yeah, but I can't find anything that suggests "Jala" was taken from another language. There are a few towns around the world with that name, and it looks like it's an obscure synonym for "water" in Sanskrit, but that's all I can find for it.

But mostly it's the weirdness of the respelling itself that always got to me. Why the silent R? It doesn't sit well with the rest of BIONICLE's spelling conventions at the time.

As I said here, it means "to burn; set fire to" or "to flare up" in Rotuman. I believe I found that in this book on Google Books (click "preview this book" and search "Jala" in the sidebar). So I think even if that's not the root word, it's very likely to be linguistically related to it, since many Polynesian languages share a common root. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time