The power of the Mask of Creation

BS01 has the following to say about the Mask of Creation:

The Mask of Creation allows its user to imagine a completed product from raw materials and learn how to construct it. It can also create an object if the user is already aware of how that object can be made.

Arthaka has created many things with this mask, including such wonders as the Toa Nuva's Kanohi and the symbols that host their elemental energy. They have also been given Adaptive Armor, and Arthaka created the Avohkii plus numerous other powerful items, including the universe-fixing Staff of Arthaka.

So what are the limits to this power? Can [Product] be anything, provided that protodermis can power it? We know that Arthaka is not very skilled at creating living things, or at least he does not want to do so after his lethal Crystal Serpents failed to be tamed. This suggests that he can create things involving Life, though, which opens the door to all kinds of magic stuff.

Could Arthaka in theory create a second Mask of Life? Could he make a few more staffs of apocalyptic power? Could he make a super-duper insta-heal device?

I am asking this because I was recently re-reading a webcomic I like, in which the characters come across an ancient "datasphere" from a lost civilization -- a storage device containing vast amounts of data "in a 612-dimensional matrix". One of them looks into it and mentions that it "seems to contain detailed plans for every possible way to build every possible device to destroy every possible thing in all of creation." Of course this was immediately commented upon: "Huh, I can't imagine how their civilization managed to annihilate itself."

The point is, it made me think about how this is pretty much what the Mask of Creation does: It presumably allows you to realize a way to build any thing that you could want, provided that the thing is actually possible to build. So Arthaka, the master craftsman, could potentially invent a new device to resurrect beings; because we know there is tech on the Red Star which can accomplish the same. He could invent a "kill Mata Nui" button, because we have seen a virus take him down. He could presumably special-build a robot which could teleport directly to a target and assassinate it. Arthaka himself doesn't do this, either because he's not a fan of destruction or because it would break the story, but in theory he could do this, right?

Note that I am disregarding the need for raw materials here. I am certain that giant builds couldn't be materialized out of nowhere, even if the mask can create actual objects to an extent. Still a powerful ability to have, if you would essentially have the ability to think "I want a giant bomb" and then soon after have the plans to create the BIONICLE-equivalent of nukes.

Edited by Katuko

To the things he might/might not be able to make, I'm just guessing the answers for them from my view.

Ignika: Probably not, as I'm guessing the Great Beings can make stuff that the Mask of creation can't, which again, I'm just guessing, is one of the few limitations for what it makes. Like tie the life force of the robot to a mask wouldn't be easy, even with the mask of creation.

Like perhaps tons of things could be made I guess, as long as it's not at the point of really powerful GB stage.

Apologies if that was confusing, its hard to explain...

A different (but relevant) question: since the Mask of Creation enables you to envision how to build something, and allows you to build something if you know how to build it... well, why even separate those two in its description? Why not just directly say that it enables you to build anything from raw materials?

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

A different (but relevant) question: since the Mask of Creation enables you to envision how to build something, and allows you to build something if you know how to build it... well, why even separate those two in its description? Why not just directly say that it enables you to build anything from raw materials?

Each function likely takes some time to analyze the task and construct the object. It may also be that the first time you use the mask you will get the plans in your head, but you still have to manually create the object in order to properly learn the process. Once that is done, the mask can replicate the process any number of times for you.

I could be totally off the mark, but we don't have enough info to state for sure, I think.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Katuko's suggestion makes the most sense. Otherwise, I'd hardly consider Artakha a proper "inventor", just a guy with a fancy mask that makes stuff for him.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Each function likely takes some time to analyze the task and construct the object. It may also be that the first time you use the mask you will get the plans in your head, but you still have to manually create the object in order to properly learn the process. Once that is done, the mask can replicate the process any number of times for you.

I could be totally off the mark, but we don't have enough info to state for sure, I think.

I think this makes sense. There's a difference (speaking from experience) from having instructions on how to do something and actually being able to do it mentally. The mask makes stuff you know how to make, and gives you instructions if you don't.

(The schizo combination of this would rock the The Lego Movie universe lol.)

• Upvote 1

Well, this is the kind of thing I've wondered often and it is something I just try to avoid the issue of. What really confuses me is why, if the mask can create things you know how to make, it even bothers with the restriction that it can't make them if you don't but then tells you how to make them. It seems like the first part could simply be used to learn how to operate the second, and create anything. (Within size limits, like you said.)

That said, I would still assume other Legendary Kanohi are off the table. Probably various other things like that. But it's confusing.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

And then another big question: What if I focus on parts of the project at a time? Instead of going directly for "machine that can drain the ocean into space", you could start with "machine that pumps water". Then you would try to invent a way to improve on it, until you eventually had a machine that could, well, drain the ocean and empty it into space. Just because you felt like it. If you can make dimensional portals and stuff then draining a bunch of water should be easy.

I like thinking of Arthaka as this old, jaded being who has a list in his private chambers of things he's thought of, but couldn't build due to pesky concepts such as "morals" and "work safety". Every time Teridax did something crazy, he'd glance at the list, hesitantly stroke his finger down to a ludicrously overpowered doomsday weapon item, then shake his head and say "It is not yet time for the creators to bring destruction. We must find another way." He'd then put the list away, move to his super-inventor recliner throne, and glare angrily at whomever walked in to deliver new reports of the Brotherhood's doings.

Or maybe he'd make himself a dishwasher to pass the time, then discard it because they never use dishes anyways. But he could still create one, to prove he could. A Matoran would eventually buy it for 5 widgets and use it to clean his Kanoka disks before an Akilini match. He says it makes them fly better. The Onu-Matoran call him stupid, and then go to Arthaka to commission a device that will rub extra dirt onto a disk.

Inventions are fun.

EDIT: I need to start spelling right the first time.

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 3

Something that struck me last; if the Mask of Creation can create things you know how to make already, then can it make the materials you would use to make it? Judging from the way the Mask is said to work, it would be odd that it could create a sword--literally out of thin-air--yet not be able to create a pile of steel.

Any thoughts?

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

And then another big question: What if I focus on parts of the project at a time? Instead of going directly for "machine that can drain the ocean into space", you could start with "machine that pumps water". Then you would try to invent a way to improve on it, until you eventually had a machine that could, well, drain the ocean and empty it into space. Just because you felt like it. If you can make dimensional portals and stuff then draining a bunch of water should be easy.

Again, I would think that it would be possible. But then again, anyone can do that. The Mask of Creation might make it easier to do though.

I like thinking of Arthaka as this old, jaded being who has a list in his private chambers of things he's thought of, but couldn't build due to pesky concepts such as "morals" and "work safety". Every time Teridax did something crazy, he'd glance at the list, hesitantly stroke his finger down to a ludicrously overpowered doomsday weapon item, then shake his head and say "It is not yet time for the creators to bring destruction. We must find another way." He'd then put the list away, move to his super-inventor recliner throne, and glare angrily at whomever walked in to deliver new reports of the Brotherhood's doings.

Lol.

Although he did build stuff like the Nuva symbols, Mask of Light, etc, so it wasn't like he was totally like that. Although given that he did make the Makuta's armor in the first place before the Nynrah ghosts added stuff, it seems like he could have stopped the Brotherhood's party at any time.

To me though it seems less that he was jaded, and more like he had faith in the Toa Mata to fix the universe. After all, he built them in the first place and knew what they were capable of. (And he did build that universe-repairing staff too. You all don't give the guy enough credit.)

Or maybe he'd make himself a dishwasher to pass the time, then discard it because they never use dishes anyways. But he could still create one, to prove he could. A Matoran would eventually buy it for 5 widgets and use it to clean his Kanoka disks before an Akilini match. He says it makes them fly better. The Onu-Matoran call him stupid, and then go to Arthaka to commission a device that will rub extra dirt onto a disk.

Inventions are fun.

How do you know that they don't use dishes? Hand-absorption eating does not preclude cutlery. :P

Also having that mask might preclude the need for such swindling lol.

Something that struck me last; if the Mask of Creation can create things you know how to make already, then can it make the materials you would use to make it? Judging from the way the Mask is said to work, it would be odd that it could create a sword--literally out of thin-air--yet not be able to create a pile of steel.

Any thoughts?

The wording of the power is not entirely clear, but it does sound like it can create something out of thin air -- though I wonder if you actually have to have the raw materials on hand to fuel its transformation into the item you want. It sounds like a reasonable limit.

Although he did build stuff like the Nuva symbols, Mask of Light, etc, so it wasn't like he was totally like that. Although given that he did make the Makuta's armor in the first place before the Nynrah ghosts added stuff, it seems like he could have stopped the Brotherhood's party at any time.

Artakha made a lot of objects that were meant to be ready for when someone needed them in the future. He probably heard of the Toa Mata from the Order of Mata Nui, but I could wonder how many items he has stashed away on his island, not yet distributed. He did indeed have a universe-fixing staff. It's not unlikely he has devices that could heal organics, or perhaps he could make something akin to the Rahkshi-killing Golden Armor if he wanted to. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, he would be the man who opens his secret basement and shows off a hybrid weapon that would make Ellen Ripley proud. "I told ya all this was gonna happen some day!"

If this guy wanted to he would probably have a good shot at ruling the world; and Velika wants him gone due to his potential threat level.

How do you know that they don't use dishes? Hand-absorption eating does not preclude cutlery. :P

It... it pretty much does. Unless the Matoran hold the fork with their mouth and then stick the food into their palms or something. :lol: Because using one hand to shove food into the other is too easy. Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

Any thoughts?

The wording of the power is not entirely clear, but it does sound like it can create something out of thin air -- though I wonder if you actually have to have the raw materials on hand to fuel its transformation into the item you want. It sounds like a reasonable limit.

So basically, he would have to wave his hand over a plank of wood and some steel in order to make an axe? Sounds like a good limit.

Also, your musings on what Artakha does in his spare time and who he is, is making me wish that he had more screen time.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Artakha made a lot of objects that were meant to be ready for when someone needed them in the future. He probably heard of the Toa Mata from the Order of Mata Nui, but I could wonder how many items he has stashed away on his island, not yet distributed. He did indeed have a universe-fixing staff. It's not unlikely he has devices that could heal organics, or perhaps he could make something akin to the Rahkshi-killing Golden Armor if he wanted to. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, he would be the man who opens his secret basement and shows off a hybrid weapon that would make Ellen Ripley proud. "I told ya all this was gonna happen some day!"

If this guy wanted to he would probably have a good shot at ruling the world; and Velika wants him gone due to his potential threat level.

But the question is, does he want to rule the world? All indications so far have indicated that he does not. After all, after the Brotherhood raid on his island, he could have built himself a doomsday weapon as you say and taken them out. He seems to be a pacifist.

If I were in Velika's shoes, I would hire him instead of kill him. If you want to rule the world, and you're a GB, having the world's best creator on hand seems like a good idea. Put the doomsday weapon on my side. (Otherwise there's a risk that it might be lost forever, and some ragtag group of unlikely heroes might stumble upon it and oppose you. Never want to take that gamble.)

It... it pretty much does. Unless the Matoran hold the fork with their mouth and then stick the food into their palms or something. :lol: Because using one hand to shove food into the other is too easy.

I meant knives, not forks. (Those are canon too...)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

It... it pretty much does. Unless the Matoran hold the fork with their mouth and then stick the food into their palms or something. :lol: Because using one hand to shove food into the other is too easy.

I need a visual representation of this

• Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I need a visual representation of this

nuparufork.png

Derp, I was bored today. Choose your own caption:

1)

"Keeping my other hand free while eating increases work potential by 50%! I am the greatest engineer alive!"

2)

"This worked better in my head."

3)

*Nuparu bursts into the Turaga's hut to show off his new invention*

Nuparu: (Fork in mouth, trying to stick a fish into his palm.) "MMGHWPHPHSPCHHLLL"

Onepu: "What... did he say, Turaga?"

Whenua: "Just smile and nod. It's what I usually do."

• Upvote 2

Katuko, that...that was beautiful.

The Nerd With a Mouth. The Klingon-Speaking Comedian. The Guy Hoping Not To Get Sued By Marvel. The Guy Who Makes Jokes About Bad Creepypasta Stories. The Guy Who Also Writes About The Truth of BIONICLE...sort of.
Vezpool for president 2016

4352268.jpg