A Celebration of 90s LEGO Space

I adore the space themes of 90s LEGO sets. From Exploriens to Insectoids, I was all over intergalactic travel and battle. Not content to leave the 90s in the past, I took my ship building up a notch and built a SHIP (Seriously Huge Investment in Pieces) in 2011. The result is this piece of microspace, the Exploriens' Orion-Class starship The Exuberant:

(See more on BrickShelf and Flickr.)

12958794043_8cb118d24c.jpg

(Yes, microspace. Minifigs would be so cramped in something like this.)

You'll notice it looks different on the other side:

12958638375_c8ae47ab6e.jpg

This Neo Exploriens ship was inspired by the Orion of Stargate Atlantis, and boasts a length of 103-studs and about $140 in BrickLink orders as well as use of my own pieces (a SHIP has to be over 100 studs long). At BrickFair 2011 I even lit it up:

dsc02613.jpg_thumb.jpg

(It's just taken me three years to finally take photos, but even with these I think I'll try another shot at it at the end of the month.)

This currently resides at the LEGO Store at Potomac Mills in Woodbridge, Virginia, in WAMALUG's Window to the Community display for March:

12958633325_c8b5321ceb.jpg

(See more.)

Surrounding the SHIP are more microspace 90s creations from my favorite themes, updated to account for two decade's worth of pieces. These Neo 90s MOCs pay homage to the original themes but explore building with pieces, colors, and techniques of the present. (These were build last week. Not three years ago.)

Neo Ice Planet 2002:

12525506604_55e5e9a064.jpg

Neo UFO:

12959113884_74f1eda5fa.jpg

Neo Robo Force:

12896086275_c0bfe972ee.jpg

Neo Insectoid:

12896086475_e5800f191f.jpg

What's next? Hopefully some Neo Blacktron II and something smaller for the Exploriens.

Once again, please see more of the Exuberant on BrickShelf and everything on Flickr. (Other ships' links above the image.)

The Exuberant will be making it's fourth appearance at BrickFair VA in August, and I see no reason why I won't tote the rest along as well for a full-on nostalgia attack.

-CF

• Upvote 3

nexo_shields_9.jpg

The Exuberant: this looks pretty cool, I really like how you gave it a smooth flowing look, with no squarish points to be seen. Very nice.

Neo-Ice Planet: again, I'm lovely the smooth-flow in this collection. This one has a cool color scheme and the orange chainsaws are always make for great additions. I just wish you had made the cockpit window a "transcolor" closer to the chainsaws, but that's just a minor thing.

Neo-UFO: this might be my favorite of the group, the colors just go so well together and that shade of green really gives it an alien looks (which I assume is good for UFOs). The shape is excellent and--even though is reminded me of a Federation Class Ship--strikes me as a more menacing version of the Flying Saucers of classic Hollywood space movies.

Neo-Robo Force: perhaps the least spectacular, but still a great little robot-dinosaur hybrid looking thing. Very nice.

Neo-Insectoid: this is very neat, all those bright colors are so fabulous. I like the shape of the whole thing and I like the eyes a lot. The back really stands out for me, with that bright orange complementing the blue and all those slops giving it a a nice spaceship/bug look.

I'm in no way familiar with the 90's spaces theme, but I really like these. You have a nice collection here, ChocolateFrogs.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

Neo-Ice Planet: again, I'm lovely the smooth-flow in this collection. This one has a cool color scheme and the orange chainsaws are always make for great additions. I just wish you had made the cockpit window a "transcolor" closer to the chainsaws, but that's just a minor thing.

I agree. Unfortunately, I don't think the trans-orange cheese slopes come in a brighter orange. And if they once did, I missed out on them.

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg