Biggest Bionicle Dissapointment

My biggest was when they introduced all the Karda Nui Makuta (and ultimately all the Makuta species) and then proceeded to kill them all off in one swift stroke. We didn't get very much character development at all, but I had gotten rather attached to those guys. :(

• Upvote 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I was always very frustrated by Karzahni, the dread torturer and ruler of a dismal, desolate realm, being reduced to a gibbering vegetable. It was a pretty awesome moment for Makuta, but the effects on Karzahni didn't sit well with me.

Of course, that's just a minor issue next to the shamelessly skewed gender ratio of characters. And don't try to tell me, "Oh, but BIONICLE was marketed to boys, they wouldn't want girl characters" -- if boys don't want girl characters, that is strictly their problem. And no, you can't "make up for it" by having all of your female characters be "strong female characters". The only way to adequately treat the gender of characters is to treat it like it's no big deal. Have strong female characters and weak female characters, and anywhere in-between; the point is to have realistic female characters, so that your audience can understand that girls are people too.

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I was always very frustrated by Karzahni, the dread torturer and ruler of a dismal, desolate realm, being reduced to a gibbering vegetable. It was a pretty awesome moment for Makuta, but the effects on Karzahni didn't sit well with me.

Of course, that's just a minor issue next to the shamelessly skewed gender ratio of characters. And don't try to tell me, "Oh, but BIONICLE was marketed to boys, they wouldn't want girl characters" -- if boys don't want girl characters, that is strictly their problem. And no, you can't "make up for it" by having all of your female characters be "strong female characters". The only way to adequately treat the gender of characters is to treat it like it's no big deal. Have strong female characters and weak female characters, and anywhere in-between; the point is to have realistic female characters, so that your audience can understand that girls are people too.

Actually, that's generally how it works. It's unfortunate at times, I'll admit, but it's not really lego's fault. You see the same trend nearly everywhere. It's the reason Arcee never got a figure on her debut in the original Transformers movie, and the reason we still don't have one today. But Lego is a company that sells products, and therefore has to do things like this. So if this is going to change, than we need to change how kids are raised and view people, not how companies portray them. That part comes later. It's easy to just point out what lego's doing wrong, but that's more of a symptom of a greater problem, rather than the actual problem.

Besides, Lego Friends has the ​exact opposite problem. And I've seen quite a lot of praise for that line.

More on topic: I still feel the ending was kinda mehish.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Of course, that's just a minor issue next to the shamelessly skewed gender ratio of characters.

While I agree completely - and a lot of others do to - it's just a fact that if the target group doesn't buy female sets, then making a whole batch of them would be incredibly bad from a business perspective. One is unlikely to instantly flip the sentiments that exist in a target group, but a gradual change can work. So first we had Gali as the lone Toa of Water, then we had Hahli appear as the main character of the second online game. The single-gender rule has always been a bit silly, but in a way it is great that the LEGO company at least included the female characters they did. You could say that Roodaka was quite the daring stunt from LEGO - the first and perhaps only set that was blatantly female. I'd say that while the gender ratio has been a bit skewed all the time, at least Greg made an effort to have female characters play strong roles - and playing a strong role is not bad when pretty much the selling point of the entire series is based upon action scenes! In fact, there are some weaker characters among the males as well (Sidorak's movie version is one example... he wasn't liked much) and what happens? They don't show up much, because the major story parts are about fighting evil creatures with swords that shoot fire and lightning.

The books delved into the deeper aspects of each character, but on the store shelves all that matters is how cool the pose on the box art is. Look at all the people who thought Gali was a man or that Lewa was a girl for years before they actually bothered to read the character profiles, for example. Kids just want the toy to be cool. Personally, I wouldn't have minded another female or two in the main cast, but I was satisfied with what we had as a kid, and the only thing I found strange was that Ga-Matoran were always female. I did ask myself "Why don't they have female Ta-Matoran or male Ga-Matoran?" and mostly just ignored it. My custom MOC characters were always whatever gender I wanted them to be - and so is pretty much every other fan character I see too.

The Glatorian silently removed gender restrictions on tribes - after all, they were not robot beings with designers who assigned them genders based on pre-concieved stereotypes. That said, it is clear that one writes what one knows. Fiction usually comments on society in some way. On Bara Magna, we usually see the males fight. Kiina is one of apparently few successful female fighters in her tribe. She is equal to her peers, but judging by species such as Skrall we can mark a likely segregation in the gender roles in this setting. In the MU, however, females are equal to men when they appear, because there are no particular difference in society there - beyond the apparent idea that females have a "gentler" mindset, one that is immediately disproved by Helryx, Lariska, Chiara and even Gali. I could mention Ga-Metru being designated scholars, but then so are Ko- and Onu-Matoran in that setting too.

We are free to break the roles as we wish, and the gender rule is one I am happy to say I never cared about. The world at large seems to care less as well, and we are somewhat moving away from the horrendous design fashion that was "every girl's toy must be pink". We have men enjoying "girly" things like relationship-centric anime (and Touhou, and My Little Pony) and girls playing "testosterone-filled" video games; so now there is balance in the Force. At least more than it used to be. It's come to the point where "white male with assault rifle" is derided as a boring choice of main character by both men and women alike.

I can tell from the friends I have and from the people I see discussing the whole gender thing on the net that nobody really wants to segregate men and women like that in BIONICLE. It was a choice made way back when, likely in fear of marketing flops, and it is one that could be made differently today. In fact, with the Glatorian we at least saw But this series was conceived a full 14 years ago. That's more than half my life! I'd be happy to just ignore the "gender rule" for the rest of our BIONICLE fandom days.

Perhaps more on-topic:

The biggest disappointment I had in BIONICLE came from the death of Krika and the other Makuta in Karda Nui. Most of them were a bit shallow, but I too felt at least Krika had some potential as an anti-villain of sorts.

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 3

Frankly, I think the massacre of the Karda Nui Makuta was masterfully done. The sudden and unexpected deaths of several colorful* villains was a bold move that did wonders to up the ante of the story and show Teridax's true level of treachery. It effectively communicated that Teridax was willing to sacrifice even his brothers and sisters for the sake of his all-important Plan, and that his cunning and treachery were a threat even to the crazy-powerful Brotherhood of Makuta. This made his subsequent takeover of the Matoran Universe that much more horrifying, since now the Toa, Matoran, Turaga, and the rest were all trapped under the rule of the man who killed his brothers and sisters. Basically, the 2008 finale was a barrage of earthshaking and terrifying revelations that made the audience truly fear for the heroes of the story.

*Haha, irony -- 2008 sets were not very colorful at all. :P

With regards to female characters -- I suppose I must admit that LEGO alone can't solve the problem Gender roles and sexism are a plague that afflicts much of our society; it's just most prevalent in the superhero, sci-fi, and fantasy genres (all of which one can attribute to BIONICLE). I am chiefly disgruntled with BIONICLE's gender disparity because BIONICLE has had such an effect on me, and I hate to be reminded that the lifeblood of my childhood sidelined females to such a drastic extent. :(

The Red Star revelation was a disappointment initially, but in the years since, I have reconciled it with my concept and interpretations of the BIONICLE mythos. I'm chiefly frustrated with the resurrection of Rahi, but that's easily written out of your headcanon.

Edited by Angel Bob
  • Upvote 4
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

The beginning of 2009. In almost every aspect.

(Also I was never really offended by the gender-ratio thing, even though I'm the gender that's supposed to be offended. I suppose I'm just weird like that. :shrugs: Why this keeps coming up I have no idea...

...seeing as it makes no sense. I mean, there a bunch of stories with the majority of, if not all, female characters, and their are other stories with the majority of, if not all, male characters. That's part of the variety of story. Why must there be even proportions? *sigh*)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

The death of Carapar. Yes, I know he wasn't the most important Barracki, but he was one of my favorite characters in the storyline. And I was really saddened when he was killed by Tren Krom.

If I had to choose a second, it would probably be the end of the Brothers In Arms serial. Having a light version of Teridax enter the storyline was great, but I would've loved to have seen a final fight between Mazeka and Vultraz. Instead, the latter was dragged off to be experimented on by alternate Makuta. That ending really didn't satisfy me. If they would've fought each other at least one more time before Vultraz was taken, then I would've enjoyed it more.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I wanted more symmetry in the ending.

I always loved the idea of Mata Nui flying through space and landing on different planets, forming a new island each time. I think when the MU robot was destroyed, it should have landed on its back instead of face down, and regenerated a new "island" in the middle of the desert. How cool would it be for the island of Mata Nui to rise again, this time as a mountainous plateau on another planet?

It just seems a little kinder to the fans. End the story with all the Matoran emerging onto the island of Mata Nui and seeing the light of day again.

Edited by Wrinkledlion X
  • Upvote 1

First, I'm probably forgetting some stuff from the early years, of course I didn't pay much attention to the story back then, but here's what comes to mind.

I was a little disappointed that the 2009 reboot didn't stay, well a reboot and that the "Glatorian fought for their tribes, but can unite to fight off the Bone Hunters, their's no real good vs. evil set up," was left behind halfway through the year.

Granted, the story needed to move forward, but I would have liked to see a sandbox Bara Magna a bit longer.

Also, in 2010, I was disappointed that the search for the Golden Armor was so short. When I first heard that the good guys were going to need to collect the armor, I envisioned them journeying all over Bara Magna looking for the armor. Kind of like how the Toa Mata searched for the masks in 2001. But, instead it was a one-day affair alongside a massive battle.

Other than that, I mostly just accepted everything else.

Edited by JAG18

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

To be honest, and I think it might be odd to you all seeing it's a minor issue, but the fact that some of the Barraki had names that alluded to their Pit Form; for example, Mantax (so very obviously a Manta ray), Ehlek (eel) and Carapar (carapace of a crab). Could be a "coincidence", but I still wonder what the reasons were for the names. I'd have been fine with the names as they were if I hadn't found out that they had pre-Pit forms. Does anyone else get where I'm coming from?

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Yeah, I fully understand that. "Oh boy, my name is basically "crab" and I turned into a mutant crab guy, how neat!"

It sort of makes me wonder if they had, say, other names before going to the Pit, but had their names changed to reflect their forms and disgraced status. Or something like that.

Edited by Chro
  • Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Assuming this is all storywise, then 2008-end's pacing seemed off, and it really lacked in mystery (especially disappointing when considering 2009's potential.) But the most disappointing? TEH MITEY TOOMAH's fight comes to mind as something that stood out greatly. I know it's criticized often, but I'm not in a creative mood right now, and it was pretty terrible.

Assuming this is all storywise, then 2008-end's pacing seemed off, and it really lacked in mystery (especially disappointing when considering 2009's potential.) But the most disappointing? TEH MITEY TOOMAH's fight comes to mind as something that stood out greatly. I know it's criticized often, but I'm not in a creative mood right now, and it was pretty terrible.

I know right? They had such a great backstory for Tuma, what with the "Empire of the Skrall" story serial, and then in the movie they kinda portray him as someone who's way too overconfident, and makes mistakes easily. That wasn't the Tuma that I came to know about in the comics and serials. :( I was even beginning to start rooting for the Skrall near the end haha

Formerly Iron_Man5

Replace "Tuma" with "Sidorak" and you have my exact thoughts on 2005.

(The Web of Shadows novelization does a much better job with him.)

-- Harlan Ellison

Sidorak.... ugh.... in my mind, sidorak could have been awesome. I was half way through that storyline, and imagining an awesome fight between sidorak and keetongu.. and then he promptly got crushed in two seconds... *sigh*.

• Upvote 1

Dont you just hate it when your in a shop then you turn off a power point because nothings plugged into it, then realise that it's actually a light switch.... yeah. :(

To be honest, and I think it might be odd to you all seeing it's a minor issue, but the fact that some of the Barraki had names that alluded to their Pit Form; for example, Mantax (so very obviously a Manta ray), Ehlek (eel) and Carapar (carapace of a crab). Could be a "coincidence", but I still wonder what the reasons were for the names. I'd have been fine with the names as they were if I hadn't found out that they had pre-Pit forms. Does anyone else get where I'm coming from?

:tohu:

This never disappointed me, but it was something to wonder at. Probably they just didn't think it through. But I think it works fine as long as you assume the names meant a poetic version of those animalistic traits, and their mental image of this influenced (this isn't canon, but I'm saying this is a possible theory) the form they took. Assuming they named themselves, maybe Mantax admired the behavioral traits of rays. (And we have to factor the use of English for these things anyways.)

Another possibility is the influence of destiny. There are other examples of characters with a name from a real-world language ending up doing something important like that. Metus for example was the first Agori Mata Nui "met" (some of you out there will know what made me think of that :P).

On-topic (kind of): Probably the biggest disappointments quite frankly are when I really love something Bionicle did, but then you encounter some people online who say they really hated it (strongly disliked, etc.). I know it's how personal taste works, and I accept that (re: Society Variety theory) it's a good thing that people do have different preferences, but sometimes people can be really insensitive and assume their taste is superior to everybody else's, so they make it sound like there's something wrong with you if you like something they especially didn't. They forget that often the best things for some tastes are the worst for others (the alternative is everything bland).

But that's not really a disappointment about Bionicle itself, just human nature in general.

In Bionicle, it's hard to choose one -- I don't really spend a lot of time ranking downsides :P -- but one that comes to mind as somewhere near the top of my list would probably have to be the way they handled the Golden Armor. I think that was the only really genuine downside to the end and maybe if that had been done better people wouldn't have continually repeated the idea that the end wasn't good (if a bit quick).

Ranking near that is not getting to see the end portrayed as a quality movie, but on the other hand, you always wonder if we're better off that way as if it was executed poorly it could have ruined the excellent mystique of the end we got. Related to this is the unfortunate use of "KERPOW" type words in the comics, especially at the end of the giant robot battle. That just does not at all fit the tone such a grand-scale story should have IMO. (The use of one of those in our only canonically-accurate image of Teridax's final defeat, right where it's almost impossible to edit it out, is especially unfortunate for my purposes in including canon images in my retelling.) And of course, the unfinished serials!

There are probably lots of other little things from earlier years but nothing is really coming to mind right now for some reason. :P

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The Bionicle reference in The Lego Movie. It felt like a middle finger to anyone who liked it.

Oh yes. I felt as though I had been really heartlessly cheated out of a decent appearance, having heard that the Toa Mata would briefly "appear" in the Lego movie, and then attending the film and seeing that a still image of them from 2001 was on the screen for less than half of a second. And that that was their only appearance in the film. That might be the biggest disappointment for me.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

The Bionicle reference in The Lego Movie. It felt like a middle finger to anyone who liked it.

Oh yes. I felt as though I had been really heartlessly cheated out of a decent appearance, having heard that the Toa Mata would briefly "appear" in the Lego movie, and then attending the film and seeing that a still image of them from 2001 was on the screen for less than half of a second. And that that was their only appearance in the film. That might be the biggest disappointment for me.

I may be in a minority here, but I was actually content with that. As much as I would have loved seeing a BIONICLE set tower over those minifigures, that was good enough for me.

• Upvote 2

I don't know, when I saw it I was just kind of glad that BIONICLE got an appearance at all.

Actually, when I saw it I wanted to start freaking out in my theater seat, but I guess not all BZPower members feel the same way. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

The shocking revelation when it turned out the Toa Nuva legs weren't bendable.

• Upvote 1

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

I may be in a minority here, but I was actually content with that. As much as I would have loved seeing a BIONICLE set tower over those minifigures, that was good enough for me.

I definitely understand that the Lego Movie may not have been as lucrative if any Bionicle characters were given roles, even supporting roles. After all, Lego hasn't made any new Bionicle sets in four years, and has no plans to make more. Also, Bionicle was always an unconventional Lego product, and many people who are fans of Lego's systems lines aren't neccesarily fans of their constraction lines. Many systems fans may not even know that Lego makes action figures; it's helpful to remember that Hero Factory wasn't featured at all in The Lego Movie either.

It's actually not the brevity of the Toa Mata's "appearance" in the Lego Movie that annoyed me; rather it was the rumor that they would be appearing, and seeing that half od a second of a still image was the entirety of the appearance that Lego had planned for them. However, I'm relieved that The Lego Movie didn't turn them into mindless "heroes", smashing things for Emmett and his crew. I would have rather had the Toa make no appearance at all.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I definitely understand that the Lego Movie may not have been as lucrative if any Bionicle characters were given roles, even supporting roles. After all, Lego hasn't made any new Bionicle sets in four years, and has no plans to make more. Also, Bionicle was always an unconventional Lego product, and many people who are fans of Lego's systems lines aren't neccesarily fans of their constraction lines. Many systems fans may not even know that Lego makes action figures; it's helpful to remember that Hero Factory wasn't featured at all in The Lego Movie either.

It's actually not the brevity of the Toa Mata's "appearance" in the Lego Movie that annoyed me; rather it was the rumor that they would be appearing, and seeing that half od a second of a still image was the entirety of the appearance that Lego had planned for them. However, I'm relieved that The Lego Movie didn't turn them into mindless "heroes", smashing things for Emmett and his crew. I would have rather had the Toa make no appearance at all.

Inb4 complex theory that explains the Toa's involvement in teaching MetalBeard how to create his suit.

• Upvote 1

Inb4 complex theory that explains the Toa's involvement in teaching MetalBeard how to create his suit.

It's a canon alternate universe and BS01 needs an article on it NOW!

• Upvote 1

Oh, it's not that I wanted to see MORE of the Toa in the film. It's understandable that their appearance would be brief. On the one hand, I am glad that they made it in at all. What DISAPPOINTED me, on the other hand, was that it was placed in the "themes that don't need to be mentioned" category, as in "themes that are unimportant and nobody should care about." At least, that's what it sounded like.

• Upvote 4

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I don't know, when I saw it I was just kind of glad that BIONICLE got an appearance at all.

Actually, when I saw it I wanted to start freaking out in my theater seat, but I guess not all BZPower members feel the same way. :shrugs:

Same here, I totally wasn't expecting BIONICLE to get a spot at all, so I was really happy to see them make that reference. I was fine with it, for what it was worth.

But you're right about the "unmentionable" thing... would've been cool to see the Mata help take down Lord Business lol :D

Edited by Iron_Man5

Formerly Iron_Man5

Bionicle: The Album.

Why didn't this happen.

Why.

^ This.......I can just imagine some awesome songs right now.......

Bionicle Brain or whatever it was called....oh Mata, no. D:

• Upvote 1

Disclaimer: I have not seen The LEGO Movie yet and had no idea before seeing this topic that there was any Bionicle allusion.

That said, I'm a little confused as to what anybody would be expecting out of a movie that is about minifigs? They exist in an entirely different "universe of scale" -- Toa are roughly human height but made of LEGO pieces sized way bigger than minifigs, which kind of represent human figures, and this movie is aimed at a wider audience. It would feel weird for most people to see Toa as giants; they either might think "mini" in minifig is meant literally, or might mistake Bionicle for a story about giants. :P And if they made Toa minifig-sized, it might feel too weird to your average Bionicle fans. A poster actually sounds like the perfect solution to me; when I read the first post here that said it was disappointing, and then saw someone clarify it was a poster, frankly my thought was "well... what else could it be? That sounds just like what we should expect..."

:shrugs:

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I completely disagree. I knew before hand what the scene would be. I went into the movie expecting to hate that scene, and came out of it loving not only the whole movie but that scene as well. They handled it very well, especally considering the twist. I feel that if they did it any other way, it'd be shoe-horned and I'd be unhappy. They said they didn't need to mention it because it would have taken waaaay too long, and wouldn't have fit within the context of the film. I went in to see The Lego Movie, not The Lego Movie plus 5 or so minutes slowed down to explain Bionicle to the character who wasn't listening to begin with.

As far as person disappointments go, I don't have many. Some of mine would however include the final fight between Tuma and Mata Nui in TLR, TLR's over all feel, the fact that they declined an offer from Nathan Furst to make the music for TLR, and the Rahaga sets.

I have many nitpicks, but that's a given.

sig.png

• Upvote 1

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!