LEGO Unveils 75059 Sandcrawler

75059_Sandcrawler_teaser.jpg

Tonight at Bricks Cascade a new set is being unveiled. I'm sad I can't be there, but I hope all my friends and the BZPower members who are there enjoy seeing the 75059 Sandcrawler set in person. At over three thousand pieces, this is really a a massive set and I can't wait to see it with my own two eyes. Failing that though, you can continue on to watch the designer video, check out the images, and read the full press release. I hope you're interested in Jawas and Droids!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Huh, has it really been nine years since the last LEGO Sandcrawler? (I thought that one was 2006, but it was actually 2005 according to the LSW Visual Dictionary. I must've been thinking of Jabba's Sail Barge.) I do greatly appreciate the improved R5-D4 droid, with a real printed head and whatnot. The thing itself is such a behemoth, I don't know what to compare to the original (which I also don't have). Though it looks worth $300, I don't see myself paying that much for a set. If I did have that much to spend on a single set, it would definitely be this (before it would have been MetalBeard's Sea Cow).

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I have the original and thought it was a huge set already. I won't have the funds for this though.

I like most of the redesigned droids that come with this set, but I do definitely prefer the original Gonk droid to the new one.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Maybe you're being too hard on the new droid. The legs do look more like the tube legs from the movie. Also, am I the only one who noticed (and appreciated) that the R5-D8 from the 2012 X-wing is being used for R5-D4? I noticed early on that it was the same droid.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

We received some additional information regarding the design of the box:

I've seen some confusion regarding the packaging update. I hope the below explanation will resolve some of the questions floating around.

The decision has been made to change the packaging for future "LEGO exclusive" Star Wars sets to include the UCS seal and de-link from the core Star Wars packaging. In addition to the packaging change an update has been made to the building instructions. The building instructions will have additional pages detailing the model's connection to the movie and its development process. Much as the Creator Expert badge differentiates the larger models from the core assortment the goal of this change is to better communicate to builders that these sets represent our biggest building challenge in the LEGO Star Wars theme.

• Upvote 2

I think this is gorgeous, and puts the previous version (which was quite literally a box on wheels) to shame. I'd love to own it, but since I've fallen so far out of collecting Lego Star Wars I don't know if I could afford to jump back in with a $300 set. If I get it, it'll probably have to be as a Christmas gift, and who knows what else might be released between this and December?

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What exactly does this set have over the 2005 Sandcrawler, other than the green and white astromech droid? It looks as though it has almost the exact same features and characters as the old version, while many of the newer versions of previous Lego Star Wars sets have at least a few new elements.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

What exactly does this set have over the 2005 Sandcrawler, other than the green and white astromech droid? It looks as though it has almost the exact same features and characters as the old version, while many of the newer versions of previous Lego Star Wars sets have at least a few new elements.

It would appear that it is much larger, more accurate to the movie, and has new features and details, such as the steering for the treads.

Keep in mind that the new one also has about twice the number of pieces, so there's a lot more space to fit things in.

• Upvote 1

The main difference is that the old one was awful and boring and the new one isn't. I say that having had the old one, and regretting opening it now that this beauty will be available.

Old:

10144-1.jpg\

New:

75059_box3_na.jpg

The new one is gloriously complex. The SNOT construction of the sides gives the whole thing a much more beautiful shape, color and texture than the blotchy, boxy original. The figs in the new version are also better-looking, more detailed (the droids even have restraining bolts!), and not nearly as dated. The functions (such as the cargo hatches, cranes, and lowering front bay) are much better and more refined. The only way the old one beats the new one is price, but I would gladly sell my old awful one if it were still in its box just to make a down payment on this baby.

And as far as new elements are concerned, this set uses Mixels joints to create the accurate shaping of the nose, uses some other recent hinge pieces to close up the sides, and probably uses other, less obvious, innovations for interior structure.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

And as far as new elements are concerned, this set uses Mixels joints to create the accurate shaping of the nose, uses some other recent hinge pieces to close up the sides, and probably uses other, less obvious, innovations for interior structure.

FYI I'm pretty sure those are the old mini ball joint pieces, as the socket looked like an older style. Still, all the same, it's an ingenious method. ;)

There was also a new technic H beam piece that was used in the interior that was pretty interesting.

:music:

Edited by xccj

FYI I'm pretty sure those are the old mini ball joint pieces, as the socket looked like an older style. Still, all the same, it's an ingenious method. ;)

There was also a new technic H beam piece that was used in the interior that was pretty interesting.

:music:

Hmm, you are correct. I was misremembering. Still an incredible technique though.

I see; the increases in size and similarity to the movie version are much more apparent after seeing the box art of the original Lego Sandcrawler. I've mostly stopped buying Lego Star Wars sets, but I might consider this one, particularly for the minifigures which come with it.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I think I preferred the previous Luke minifig - this one puts too much emphasis on the cheekbones.

I think so too, but I don't know if that means this one's a worse likeness. Looking back, Mark Hamill wasn't quite as dreamy as we all (you too, don't lie) made him out to be in our heads.

• Upvote 1