This is a small project of mine that is now complete because of limited number of Speedorz frames available in LDD (a least for now).

I am a big fan of Mecha. And I like Chima pretty much alot, that's why I even had this idea in the first place. So I was thinking 'what if I will take a Speedor frame and make with it a Gunmen-ish Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann-style Mecha? I think that would be awesome!' How awesome it is you can judge for yourself. =)

Let us pretend that In the magical world of Chima where animal tribes struggle for possession of a precious Chi orbs, the great Mount Cavora suddenly shuddered. And as it did so, it threw out a number of enormous, never seen before Chi orbs, that were scattered across all the Chima, too powerful to use them on their own, too dangerous to be left alone. And King of Croc Tribe, Cragger, was the first to find a use to them by building a first ChiMech: a towering, brutal machine of destruction, that could compete even with Gorillas' Mechs. After defeat against Cragges's ChiMech, Gorzan, the mightiest of Gorilla tribe's warriors, has met with his friend Laval, a prince of Lions, and brought the grim news.

11676514545_927d7ffac5_c.jpg

ChiMech - Croc by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

Laval decided to make a stealth sally in the territory of Crocs to find out what gave Cragger such power. Together with Gorzan and Eris they snuck into Crocs' fortess and found the ChiMech. While passing by throne chamber, Eris overheard Cragger bragging to Razar and Worriz about his discovery of Chi Core, the biggest Chi orb ever emerged from Mount Cavora. She also discovered that Crocs already sent out the scouts to find other locations where Chi Cores landed, and hurried to tell Laval and Gorzan who were sniffing around the hanger, but Worriz has scented her presence and caught her. But he never told Cragger and ordered his wolves to deliver the eagle to their camp. Laval and Gorzan never discovered her disappearance until they've been spotted by croc guards and was forced to leave.

11676766303_2ea6a1df2a_c.jpg

ChiMech - Croc Cockpit by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

In the Wolves camp Eris discovered that Worriz secretly envied Cragger's success and sent out his own scouts to find at least one ChiCore, while his best mechanics were reverse-engineering Cragger's ChiMech by blueprints that they managed to copy while Cragger was so busy bragging. Eris decided that as much as she'd hate to steal, she must take those prints and deliver them to Lagravis. Razar has happened to visit Worriz's camp after visiting the Cragger's fortress and made a deal that she'd give away a first Chi Core they will find to Ravens if Razar will help her to escape and steal the blueprints. The two made a cunning and daring escape from Wolfs' camp but not before Worriz's mechanics finished to build their own ChiMech.

11647905966_050175d0d3_c.jpg

ChiMech - Wolf by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

While it was not as intimidating as Cragger's, it possessed outstanding agility. After parting with Razar, Eris made her way to Lion Temple and gave the blueprints to Lagravis. She discovered that after their escape from Croc Fortress, Laval and Gorzan wandered to the Temple and warned Lagravis about Craggers ominous invention. Lagravis ordered Longtooth and Leonidas to find the closest Chi Core and bring it back asap. Meanwhile, Laval let Gorzan go back to the forest to protect his tribe. Left alone, young lion spent alot of time planning how to find Eris and worrying about her safety. To his relief, Eris appeared at the Temple's gate at dawn, tired but happy. She gave the blueprint to Lagravis personally and went to have some sleep.

11647388773_62b46079e1_c.jpg

ChiMech - Wolf Cockpit by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

Back after Eris's escape, Worriz, while being angered by this event, has his Chi Core installed and so departed from the camp to meet with Cragger and tell him that he now has a ChiMech too. Cragger was furious and at first even engaged in a fight to destroy Worriz's Mech but suddenly changed his mind. He decided that he will just let Worriz to go first and 'accidentally' will shoot at his back where Chi Core was installed under an armor plate. Worriz told nothing about Eris's escape to not cause further anger from Cragger. They rallied their warriors and marched out on the Lion Temple. Combined forces of Wolves and Crocs has arrived by the noon... and was really surprised to discover that Lion Gates were now guarded by a ChiMech designed by the Lions!

11662401726_e24217756b_c.jpg

ChiMech - Lion by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

Laval was piloting the Mech and he proclaimed that Cragger will never reach the Chi Cores anymore and that he will protect it even with his own life. Since Cragger still was pretty sure about who sent his parents to that Gorge, he was okay if Laval - or any number of Lions - will fall on his, Craggers, way to rule all the Chima. He ordered his forces to attack the Temple.

11661973874_45d4bb3e49_c.jpg

ChiMech - Lion Cockpit by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

Since Laval was equipped with a spear and an impenetrable shield, he could repel any ranged attack, even from Cragger's ChiMech deadly cannons. But once Worriz has reached him, Laval felt all the sharpness of Wolf ChiMech's claws. Furious strikes made Laval to back off, step by step, until he has reached the closed gates. And that's when Cragger decided that it's a good opportunity to kill two rabbits with one stone and opened fire at Worriz's ChiMech back. However, armor was strong enough to endure all the shots, although sudden back-stabbing attack allowed Laval to kick Worriz off the Temple's stairs. Worriz, though infuriated, decided to retreat, but suddently a volley of rockets has covered the battlefield, leaving havoc among Crocs' and Wolves' lines.

11713045784_938399119b_c.jpg

ChiMech - Eagle Diving by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

A majestic shadow has screened the sun, and a white and blue lightning swooped across the battlefield. Lions rejoiced, for Eris, who managed to reach her people and give them the blueprint, piloted the brand-new Eagle ChiMech that brought the balance and tilted the scales in their favor. Eris changed her flight mode on the fly, hovering near the Laval's ChiMech, ready to unleash another salvo at the Crocs heads. Feeling that this is good time to disappear, Worriz commanded retreat and Wolves left Cragger and his goons alone on the smoking field. The battle was won.

11712670195_206d4b4a6d_c.jpg

ChiMech - Eagle Hovering Mode by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

Lagravis ordered everybody to immediately extract the ChiCores from their Mechs and never ever use them again. He found a place at the Temple where Cores could be kept in safety and in a few days every Chi Core that Mount Cavora produced have been found and brought to the Lion Temple. But Laval still felt uneasy: something told him that this isn't the last time he's seen Chi Cores, and the day will come when ChiMechs will be needed again. And he swore to be prepared and asked his father's permission to keep Lion and Eagle ChiMechs intact. Worriz and Cragger did the same without anyone's permission, but since the blueprint was destroyed - by Lagravis's orders, of course, nobody could make any more of those powerful and dangerous machines of war.

11712925293_f020149edf_c.jpg

ChiMech - Eagle Cockpit by The Mugbearer, on Flickr

One day Lion guards discovered that one of Chi Cores has disappeared, and found a black feather lying under empty pedestal... To be continued?..

• Upvote 5

I love the eagle mech. It's so anime it hurts. The way everything fits together and it soooo easily switches between the two shapes is brilliant. Also really like the barrels on the crocodile mech's cannons. Nice use of the Breakout launchers and various other pieces.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Wow, these are impressive, from the building techniques to all the fine details; really great stuff. The first three look a bit too bulky IMO (not that the tank look isn't in this season) and I question somewhat why you decided to put the pilot seat in the Mech's mouth. The eagle is a favorite of mine too, it too looks a bit too bulky, but it somehow pulls it off better. The wings and missile launchers are the best on this one.

Good job, Mugbearer; little gripes aside, this is really amazing stuff.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, these are impressive, from the building techniques to all the fine details; really great stuff. The first three look a bit too bulky IMO (not that the tank look isn't in this season) and I question somewhat why you decided to put the pilot seat in the Mech's mouth. The eagle is a favorite of mine too, it too looks a bit too bulky, but it somehow pulls it off better. The wings and missile launchers are the best on this one.

Good job, Mugbearer; little gripes aside, this is really amazing stuff.

IMO Putting the driver in the mouth is a whole lot more... "anime"-ish and, in my opinion, a whole lot more awesome. I think they are only bulky because they have so much detail put into them, which that is pretty sweet.

All in all, Eagle; 10/10 would buy.

SawadaTsunayoshifull868823_zpse01289d2.j

Eagle is my favorite, here. Just so epic! If you make a physical version, I'll do everything I can to buy it.

Now, I may not be a fan of Gundam, but I looked at the Eagle and said, "Can you say 'Gundam'?" The colors remind me of one of those Gundam robots.

mindeth the cobwebs

IMO Putting the driver in the mouth is a whole lot more... "anime"-ish and, in my opinion, a whole lot more awesome.

That's why I said in the OP that ChiMechs are somewhat has that TTGL vibe in them.

Anyway, thanks guys, like alot! ^^

Edited by The Mugbearer

Definitely impressed with the Speedor heads. I also like that each mech has a different role, from tank to infantry to aerial. I think the Lion Mech is a little slapped together, especially the legs with the hinged pieces -- what are those supposed to represent?

Would've been cool to incorporate one of the Chi Core onto each mech as well, though that would've probably resulted in an overhaul to the design you used.

Your backstory is a nice touch; rather than just having the mechs you give them a place in the lore!

Definitely impressed with the Speedor heads. I also like that each mech has a different role, from tank to infantry to aerial. I think the Lion Mech is a little slapped together, especially the legs with the hinged pieces -- what are those supposed to represent?

Would've been cool to incorporate one of the Chi Core onto each mech as well, though that would've probably resulted in an overhaul to the design you used.

Your backstory is a nice touch; rather than just having the mechs you give them a place in the lore!

First of all, thank you for your feedback.

As for hinged things on Lion ChiMech's legs, these should represent pteruges. Since Lions use Roman-like style of armor...

Also, all ChiMechs have Chi Cores installed on their backs under heavy plating (2001 bionicle ball joint on a 1x2 plate with 1 stud). See here.

And yeah, the lore was planned almost from the very beginning. I never post such things without a supporting piece of lore. ^^

Edited by The Mugbearer