Official Velika Guide

This topic is meant as a companion topic to the Official Red Star Guide. Like that topic, this being a "guide" topic means that it is not the only allowed place for discussion, but will be revivable. (So yes, other topics on Velika are still allowed, but this is one place you can definitely go to talk about him.) All source topics/posts can be found from the Official Greg Compendium.

The original four quotes from Erebus' announcement topic:

The Great Being is Velika.

This came after a contest he ran on BZP on the old forums to guess who this hidden Great Being was (hidden as a character in the Matoran Universe that we already knew). He had intended to reveal the identity in The Yesterday Quest, one of two unfinished online serials, but when it was clear he would not be able to write more of that anytime soon he opted to reveal it as promised because of the contest. You can read what little was made of the serial here (the third chapter has the relevant part):

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/The_Yesterday_Quest

The Great Being was already named Velika before inhabiting the Matoran body.

It appears Greg later either forgot he had already established this, or decided to retcon this, because in three answers much later in the LEGO.com topic, he said that Velika was not this character's original name back when he was physically a Great Being.

It makes some strategic sense for him not to risk using his real name, but on the other hand it seems unlikely anybody in the Matoran Universe could have known about it. But it might present problems later on after the defeat of Makuta; if Angonce for example were to hear somebody mention that Matoran and decide to let the Toa know about it. Greg may have decided to avoid the issue in case he ever does decide to finish the serials.

A major downside of Velika not being his original name is the legal issues (and others) that have made it appear that we will never see new names for Bionicle, so most likely, if Greg doesn't change his mind back to his original answer, we'll never know Velika's original name.

Velika is indeed the killer of Tren Krom and Karzahni. He was doing some housecleaning.

The unfinished story in which this was featured can be read here (Chapter 4 shows us the killer's own thoughts, and has him targeting several other famous Bionicle characters, but we don't know if they will end up surviving):

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/The_Powers_That_Be

Velika is eliminating wild cards, beings who are acting way outside of the expected parameters of the GB's plans.

Further quotes from Erebus' later topics:

Was Velika in the Kingdom Alternate Universe also a Great Being?

Yes

Could we get a basic idea of Velika's life in the MU before being sent to Karzahni? Did he for example personally know Tren Krom as some theorized? What was his strategy of "observing", and was it intentional that he got damaged to go to Karzahni?

Yes. he would have known TK, but I do not think he intentionally got damaged.

Any info on what he did before going into the MU, like what GB projects he worked on?

No

This is somewhat answered by a much later quote; he helped in some way with the giant robot (not surprising since he then moved in!).

And the rest of the quotes, from the LEGO.com topic, provided by JAG18 (I'll forgo quote tags for these as I believe BZP has a maximum allowed number of them, or at least used to, heh; grayed-out text is my comments):

Q) Was Velika's true nature planned way back in 2006?

A) No

(We already knew this.)

Q) Also, why Velika? [As a Great Being]

A) Because his ... strangeness ... made a lot more sense if you considered that he was actually a Great Being. In some ways, his manner of speech was a way of toying with his creations.

Q) You said Velika was a great being in disguise. Why did he wish to kill Tren Krom, Karzhanni, and all the people who were meeting with the other Great Being?

A) My own theory is that he wanted to keep the MU inhabitants at a manageable power level so they could be more easily controlled. The beings he was killing were way more powerful than that level.

Q) When did Velika enter the MU? Did he help the other GB's to construct the Great Spririt Robot, then enter it as it was taking off?

A) It would have had to be that he got in before the robot was launched.

Q) Do Great Beings have physical bodies? Can they exist without them? Did Velika obtain the "unused" body of a Po-Matoran for his own purposes, or could he have shapeshifted his own body into a Matoran form?

A) Yes, we know GBs have physical bodies, because one was chained up in one of the serials. They cannot exist without them, but they do have the tech to essentially transfer brain patterns, which is how the red star works. A new body gets made and the brain patterns get transferred out of the old, dead body into the new one.

Q) [W]hat was Velika planing to do to spherus magna

A) Hmmmm ... did we indicate he had plans for the whole planet?

Q) [Yes, you said Velika had plans for Spherus Magna]

A) I would say, given his behavior, that the largely benign rule of the GBs was something he had lost patience with. They created things, but then failed to take responsibility for their creations or intervene forcefully enough to stop disasters. I think Velika intended to take a .... firmer hand, and was eliminating as many powerful wild cards as he could.

Q) When do you think that Velika began to be disillusioned with the GB's way of running things? Was there a particular event that was the "last straw" for him? Perhaps the GB's failure to stop the Core War set him off?

A) Well, it had to be before Mata Nui launched, so at the very least the CW had to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Q) If Velika had been hit by the Zamor spheres on Voya Nui, would the Piraka have found out about his true origins, or would he have some defense mechanisms to keep him from telling them against his will? Also, did Velika believe in the Voya Nui Resistance Team cause wholeheartedly?

A) I am sure he would have had the willpower to deal with something used by a GB creation. And no, I doubt he believed that strongly in the resistance team, they were a means to an end.

This one is very interesting. It may give evidence for a theory that the reason Annona affected the Great Beings differently than other victims may be that they naturally had incredible levels of willpower. However, that can't be proven from this because that isn't a situation with a creation of the GBs. It's also interesting because it seems to say a GB's control over his creations depends on willpower.

Q) And why is Velika trying to blow everyone up?

A) As for Velika, I think what is trying to do is eliminate anyone with a power level that it might threaten his plan, which I believe to be putting Spherus Magna under his "guiding hand."

Q) Would his [Velika’s] plan involve eliminating all of the other GB's? They would be a threat to him as well, right?

A) I don't think so, no. The whole problem he sees with the other GBs is that they were too passive and slow to act. I don't think he would see them as a threat.

Q) If Velika wants to eliminate powerful beings in the universe, would he end up going after Tobduk and the Alternate Teridax?

A) I am not sure if alternate Teridax would be at the power level necessary for Velika to worry about him. He might be. But Velika seems more concerned with "wild card" characters than with characters who are all about imposing some kind of order on the universe.

A curious answer considering that any Makuta is by definition incredibly powerful; arguably far more so than Karzahni for example. It may imply that most of the beings in Lifer's fortress are collateral damage and it's more Artakha himself who is the target (and Tuyet of course, and you could make cases for some of the others).

Q) What if it was Velika who gave them their sentience? Would Velika want to mess with the system created by the other GBs? It might make sense, considering that they're at odds...

A) Oh, the Velika theory is REALLY interesting, Firox ... heck, we could talk for days on that one.

Please note that he did NOT confirm this.

Q) …why would Velika want to mess up the system created by his fellow GBs?

A) Well, we know he already disliked his fellow GBs at this point ...

Q) Also - did Velika actually help build the Great Spirit Robot?

A) Yes, he was involved in the building of the robot. And I do think he had an eye on messing up the GB's plan.

Q) How did the robot fit into Velika's plans? Did he want to take it over?

A) No, Velika did not intend to take over Mata Nui. I do not see him trying to sabotage the plan to reform Spherus Magna, because what he was angry about was that the GBs let the planet get wrecked in the first place.

Q)… what did Velika think of Teridax and his attempts to conquer the universe?

A) I don't think he was terribly surprised by it, but it was an inconvenience.

Q) But could those aforementioned Red Star people still be able to stop Velika or Marendar if they were to find out about those threats?

A) They would have numbers, but I am not sure they would have the power to do so.

Q) Did Velika kill any matoran on Voya Nui?

A) Not to my knowledge. He would have had no reason to do so.

Q) [W]hy did Velika kill Karzahni and Tren Krom? Did they do something to Velika (other than Karzahni transforming him)?

A) Because they were powerful enough to be seen as threats to his plans.

Q) Was Velika really his name, or did he assume it as a Matoran?

A) He assumed it as a Matoran.

Here's the first of the three answers that contradict his original confirmation that it was his name all along. Given that he may have simply forgotten his earlier answer, possibly we should take this with a grain of salt, but the repetition may mean he's sure of the new answer now. Unfortunately the old answer gave no indication it was something that wasn't decided for sure. Ah well.

Q) How did Velika obtain Lesovikk's dagger?

A) Stole it, I would assume

Q) Is Velika the great being's name?

A) No

Q) [How is it that a Great Being] disguised as a Matoran has managed to eliminate two of the most powerful beings in the universe.

A) He's a GB. He helped create all these things, so he would know how to destroy them.

Q) Is it possible that Velika's name is derived from his original GB name?

A) Doubtful

Q) [W]hy did Velika turn evil?

A) Velika felt that the actions of his fellow GBs were responsible for the mess on Spherus Magna and that what was needed was an iron hand to take direct action.

Q) Do you think his [Velika’s] former Voya Nui resistence team members would try to stop him?

A) They might, but I don't think they would last five minutes.

Q) If Velika was mad at the other Great Beings why would he take his anger out on the most powerful beings from the Matoran Universe instead of hunting down his real enemy?

A) Because the point is not to wipe out the GBs, the point is to take over ... and the best way to do that is to eliminate any wild card beings who might have the power to oppose you.

Q) Do you think anyone short of the Great Beings could stop him [Velika] (i.e. a Toa-Order of Mata Nui alliance?)

A) I think you would need a bigger alliance than that.

Q) And finally, if Karzahni's body had Lesovikk's sword near it, would that mean it was taken from Lesovikkk and Lesovikk was also smashed by Velika?

A) Or it could have been stolen from Lesovikk and he is out there someplace, just fine, just with no sword

Q) Who do you think would have the ability to stop Velika? BTW, aren't Velika's powers no more than that of a regular Po-Matoran (along with his engineering talent)?

A) Velika is a Great Being hiding in the form of a Matoran -- essentially, a scientist-king. So there is no telling what kind of weaponry/devices he has access to, given the inventive genius of the GBs. He knows every detail of the creation of the beings of the MU, which also means he knows how to destroy them. I think you would need an alliance of good and bad, plus the help of at least one GB, to stop him.

Q) Hey, Greg, since Marendar intends to destroy the Toa, and one, if not more, of Velika's targets were Toa, wouldn't it make sense if the two teamed up, Velika and Marendar?

A) I could Velika using Marendar temporarily.

I believe he meant to say "could see".

Q) In the yesterday quest, it was mentioned that the great being disguised (velika) had dark plans for Spherus Magna and its people what it is?

A) He wants to rule them

Q) [W]hy Velika wants rule them residents of Spherus Magna?

A) Because he feels that the disaster on Spherus Magna happened because of poor, weak leadership by the Great Beings. He feels a stronger hand is needed.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Nice work bonesiii; here's something, concerning Velika, that Greg just answered today.

Q) You've been saying that you believe the reason Velika is doing all that he is because he feels Spherus Magna needs a stronger guiding hand. With this is mind, why didn't he act during his time in the MU? Be it to control the MU, or help it succeed in its intended goal.

A) Acting in the MU would have exposed him, and if the other GBs had any inkling of what was going on when the MU returned, they might have been able to stop him.
Q) When Velika transferred himself into a Matoran body, what went with his consciousness? Like, say, did any "GB powers" (assuming those exist) follow?
A) I have personally never seen the GBs as having powers, other than their genius and inventive skill. They were scientist-kings, not superheroes.
Nothing too big I guess, but since the Greg topic is continuously growing I have no idea when these two quotes would find their way on BZPower.
Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 5

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg