Mata Nui 3D Game

bionicleFanatic

Hi all,

I've been working for a while on a Unity 3D game about Bionicle, set in the Dark Times/Makuta Wars, before the coming of the toa Mata. Version 1.1 is available for download:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5pgj4n1xskn0x6w/iTtOVtgU6B

This version includes:

Ga, Po and Onu-Wahi and their respective Koros.

Numerous Matoran in each village.

Dangerous rahi to fight.

Tons of nostalgia.

Some pics of gameplay:

GalleryFile.png

GalleryFile.png

GalleryFile.png

To play:

1.Click the above dropbox link.

2.Click, from the top right hand corner "Download".

3.Open the downloads folder and double click on the downloaded file.

4.Open the .hltm file to open the game.

5.The team is aware of some bugs in the game, which are going to be fixed in

the next update, but any bug reports/feedback are still appreciated.

V.1.2 is coming soon, so stay tuned for Ta-Wahi!

Edited by bionicleFanatic
  • Upvote 7

cLT23Pz.png

Hm, it needs some work to become a full-fledged game, but I like what I see. Exploring the MNOG-esque setting in 3D felt exciting, and when I spotted a Fikou I found myself comparing this game mentally to Fallout, Skyrim and other first-person open-world games. That is a good thing. I'd love to see how this progresses, because it looks promising.

I did have some trouble, which may just be my computer and Unity: All the Matoran are completely black, appearing to lack textures. Static objects look fine. The menu doesn't stop you from looking around when giving you dialogue choices, so that got a bit annoying. Finally, getting killed by a Fikou-ambush (it crawled down from the cliffside without warning) had be unable to attack and then I died instantly to touching it. When the game restarted it appeared to do so more than once, and the interface was bugged out.

I'd suggest posting a screenshot to let people get a preview of what they are downloading, by the way. Images usually heighten interest a lot. :)

• Upvote 3

Hm, it needs some work to become a full-fledged game, but I like what I see. Exploring the MNOG-esque setting in 3D felt exciting, and when I spotted a Fikou I found myself comparing this game mentally to Fallout, Skyrim and other first-person open-world games. That is a good thing. I'd love to see how this progresses, because it looks promising.

I did have some trouble, which may just be my computer and Unity: All the Matoran are completely black, appearing to lack textures. Static objects look fine. The menu doesn't stop you from looking around when giving you dialogue choices, so that got a bit annoying. Finally, getting killed by a Fikou-ambush (it crawled down from the cliffside without warning) had be unable to attack and then I died instantly to touching it. When the game restarted it appeared to do so more than once, and the interface was bugged out.

I'd suggest posting a screenshot to let people get a preview of what they are downloading, by the way. Images usually heighten interest a lot. :)

Hi Katuko, thanks for the comment.

We have run into the materials problem before with come computers. There is a way to fix it, but you have to download the standalone player version of MN3D. Do you use a mac or a PC? I need to know because the SP build is platform specific.

EDIT: Oh, and the game does bug after reloading the dying, you need to reload the actual player. It should be fixed in 1.2 [;)]

Edited by bionicleFanatic
  • Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

We have run into the materials problem before with come computers. There is a way to fix it, but you have to download the standalone player version of MN3D. Do you use a mac or a PC? I need to know because the SP build is platform specific.

I'm on Windows. Since you host on Dropbox - which usually provides plenty of hosting space - may I suggest uploading a standalone Windows and Mac version once things start working properly, so that people don't have to ask you? Saves time and makes things more accessible for everyone. :)
  • Upvote 3

I get an error message for everything I click on the linked page.

Still, this does at least sound promising.

Oh? What does the message say? We've never had any problems with downloading...

I'm on Windows. Since you host on Dropbox - which usually provides plenty of hosting space - may I suggest uploading a standalone Windows and Mac version once things start working properly, so that people don't have to ask you? Saves time and makes things more accessible for everyone. :)

Okay then, this is the standalone player:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mi2irajj4qnix28/0JIXzaL2mM

The file MN3D V1.1 Standalone (PC).exe is the one that will run the game. Please note that the player will take up slightly more space than the web player; 93 megabytes, to be exact. This is unfortunately unavoidable, and why the web player was posted first.

And I asked because the PC SP is the only version that was built, we haven't got one for mac at the moment[;)]

cLT23Pz.png

The file MN3D V1.1 Standalone (PC).exe is the one that will run the game. Please note that the player will take up slightly more space than the web player; 93 megabytes, to be exact. This is unfortunately unavoidable, and why the web player was posted first.

No problem. It was quick to download and I got plenty of harddrive space. Sadly the black color persists on Matoran, but a few other minor issues - such as being able to look everywhere when talking to people - seems to have disappeared. Another issue, though: I spontaneously died when I tried to talk to Ahkmou in Po-Koro. I have no idea what happened. :P

But yeah, apart from some bugs and stuff at this early stage, I believe the game will turn out very well in the end. :)

• Upvote 1

No problem. It was quick to download and I got plenty of harddrive space. Sadly the black color persists on Matoran, but a few other minor issues - such as being able to look everywhere when talking to people - seems to have disappeared. Another issue, though: I spontaneously died when I tried to talk to Ahkmou in Po-Koro. I have no idea what happened. :P

But yeah, apart from some bugs and stuff at this early stage, I believe the game will turn out very well in the end. :)

Hmm.. I wonder how we fixed it ast time... I'll have to ask around[;)]

• Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

This is alright game and I agree with Katuko about comparing it to fallout and skyrim. Also the texture look really good but the sky look odd to me.

I did have some trouble as well but not like most of the ones that Katuko had, my mouse pointer was getting in the way and that gotten annoying really fast. I did have the menu doesn't stop you from looking around when it's giving you dialogue choices but it was looking up and down. Another thing but it wasn't a that big, it's that I can't tell how much item I have when I check my inventory.

Also with the trading; I think it would be a great idea if you had made it that when you ask for trading, it will take you to a menu screen where you click on the item that you want and it will show you what item you need and how much of it that you have to have.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I'm kinda BF's assistant :),

Are you on Windows 8.1?

This is alright game and I agree with Katuko about comparing it to fallout and skyrim. Also the texture look really good but the sky look odd to me.

I did have some trouble as well but not like most of the ones that Katuko had, my mouse pointer was getting in the way and that gotten annoying really fast. I did have the menu doesn't stop you from looking around when it's giving you dialogue choices but it was looking up and down. Another thing but it wasn't a that big, it's that I can't tell how much item I have when I check my inventory.

Also with the trading; I think it would be a great idea if you had made it that when you ask for trading, it will take you to a menu screen where you click on the item that you want and it will show you what item you need and how much of it that you have to have.

I keep meaning to help BF with the mouse pointer stuff, thanks for reminding me

• Upvote 1

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

promo_banner.png

Creating topic for Idd2000, please don't post until he does.

Or he'll eat you

Are you on Windows 8.1?

Yes, but I found the problem. Unity did not make my proper graphics card kick in as it's supposed to, it was still running on the integrated one. After I switched it over the textures appeared correctly.

The intro screen still seems to repeat at times, though, and sometimes when I spawn on the beach I get a water texture flowing before my eyes until I restart.

Are you on Windows 8.1?

Yes, but I found the problem. Unity did not make my proper graphics card kick in as it's supposed to, it was still running on the integrated one. After I switched it over the textures appeared correctly.

The intro screen still seems to repeat at times, though, and sometimes when I spawn on the beach I get a water texture flowing before my eyes until I restart.

So it was your issue then? Not the games fault, is that correct?

Ok, I'll have to see what me and BF can come up with.

promo_banner.png

Or he'll eat you

Ok, there is another guy having the same issue. I'll see if that fixes it for him too, and then we have the source of the bug.

promo_banner.png

Or he'll eat you

Ok, there is another guy having the same issue. I'll see if that fixes it for him too, and then we have the source of the bug.

It's okay, I ran into the bug a few days ago: It happens when going back to the starting scene after having gone onto the main game. I know what the problem is, just a few un-reset booleans, it will be fixed in the next update[;)]

cLT23Pz.png

You should probably make energy recharge at a slow pace. Right now I like to sprint in order to see everything, but I soon run out of energy and start hurting myself. :P

Where does Puku/Pewku go after you ride her into Onu-Koro, by the way? Maybe I missed her. Finding the way out again in near-pitch darkness proved very troublesome.

• Upvote 1

You should probably make energy recharge at a slow pace. Right now I like to sprint in order to see everything, but I soon run out of energy and start hurting myself. :P

Where does Puku/Pewku go after you ride her into Onu-Koro, by the way? Maybe I missed her. Finding the way out again in near-pitch darkness proved very troublesome.

Energy does not recharge naturally, but can be replenished by consuming food (Bula berries, fish, etc.)

It is hard to navigate Onu-Wahi without a torch, so I would strongly recommend bringing a spear with you when going into the caves. (With a spear, you can trade a Mata Nui stone, which can be in turn traded for a protodermis ore, which can then be traded for a torch, all of this within Onu-Koro).

• Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

I have played the game and I am jumping up and down in happiness. It's the mnog 2 we never had. it is perfect. looking forward to seeing ta, le and ko-koro.

The only issues are:

-You should make a third person view.

-Nuparu's quest is unfinishable.

-The matoran houses look a bit too irregular.

-the desert, po-koro and onu-koro are too small.

-onu koro's ceiling is too flat.

-the most important: put a sign at the place where you start saying: WARNING! extreme epicness ahead!

• Upvote 1

It's quite ambitious of you to undergo a 3D game project. Them 2D folks can't relate to our struggle!

j/k. This is good start for something as big as this. I actually think all the 3D models are done fairly well, assuming a professional wasn't hired (otherwise, ya might wanna find a new professional. just sayin').

As for programming / mechanics, pretty much everyone else has pointed out the same bugs I encountered: died when talking to Ahkmou, saw a duplicate me in front of me when I restarted, water overlay despite not being in the water when I died, etc. Sounds like you have a handle on what needs to be done to fix those, so no point in badgering you about it. Lastly, if you really want this to be an open-world type of game, I'd recommend more stuff for the player to get into. Sidequests, minigames, side-stories, stuff like that. That's hardly a simple task, but that is kinda what's expected of open world games.

Most I can say now is, great job on getting a demo out there for us to see. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come with next. ^_^

Edited by Emzee
  • Upvote 1

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

I have played the game and I am jumping up and down in happiness. It's the mnog 2 we never had. it is perfect. looking forward to seeing ta, le and ko-koro.

The only issues are:

-the most important: put a sign at the place where you start saying: WARNING! extreme epicness ahead!

Nuparu's quest is possible to complete: The cog he is missing is lying to the west of the little podium-thingy to the front of Whenua's hut. (Does anyone know what the actually is?)

Third person would be interesting, but it would unfortunately be like Minecraft's 3rdPC. It wouldn't be used much, as the controlling would feel strange and clumsy, so I'm not sure it's going to be implemented anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback![:D]

cLT23Pz.png

I'm having an interesting predicament... when the games loads, when I push play, it sends me immediately back to the main menu. I have to restart the entire thing a few times before I can change the stats on my matoran. And then, when it does actually start, I have a blue "energy shield" constantly in my vision. And the weirdest part is that I have a 3rd person "clone" following me, that mimics my movements. But then I run out of energy really quickly and die. Am I doing something wrong? :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I'm having an interesting predicament... when the games loads, when I push play, it sends me immediately back to the main menu. I have to restart the entire thing a few times before I can change the stats on my matoran. And then, when it does actually start, I have a blue "energy shield" constantly in my vision. And the weirdest part is that I have a 3rd person "clone" following me, that mimics my movements. But then I run out of energy really quickly and die. Am I doing something wrong? :shrugs:

Restarting the game (As in, closing the browser and reopening it from the html file) will fix it[;)]

• Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

Energy does not recharge naturally, but can be replenished by consuming food (Bula berries, fish, etc.)

Ah. I honestly kind of missed the backpack feature, since clicking the icon means messing up the camera, and that does not feel natural. I'd recommend using a keyboard shortcut to open the backpack and suspend camera look while it's open.

Where do you get Bula berries, by the way? It took me a while to actually try pressing E near Harakeke plants, because I did not expect them to be anything but scenery. Berries I haven't seen. I've been looking around for a spear too, but I found nowhere to get one. Does Ahkmou have anything to do with it? I have avoided him because he seems to crash the game when I talk to him.

Also: Po-Koro gives me fish, but that is most likely after I have spent all my energy running there. I think basic things like jumping shouldn't consume energy, since there doesn't appear to be much point in it. The energy is even used as your breath meter, so not having it recharge once you resurface feels a bit counter-intuitive; and if you drop into water with 0 energy, you're doomed, as you can only walk slowly to shore. Speaking of: I got hit by a Nui-Jaga in the Onu-Koro tunnels, which dropped me to 0 HP and put me back at the beach with 1 HP. However, if I die to things like drowning, it says "your Matoran has been deleted". Any reason for this disparity?

It is hard to navigate Onu-Wahi without a torch, so I would strongly recommend bringing a spear with you when going into the caves. (With a spear, you can trade a Mata Nui stone, which can be in turn traded for a protodermis ore, which can then be traded for a torch, all of this within Onu-Koro).

I question the logic that forces me to bring specific things into Onu-Koro in order to have any hope of ever leaving the area again, but I guess it makes sense if the torch is only supposed to be needed for quests etc. in the Onu-Koro area. Still, having the Ussal taxi able to carry me out again would be great. I tried to just pick up lightstones and candles the first time I visited, which to my dismay did not work. Second time I followed the wall in typical maze-solving fashion, but ended up as Nui-Jaga food instead. Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only issues are:

Nuparu's quest is possible to complete: The cog he is missing is lying to the west of the little podium-thingy to the front of Whenua's hut. (Does anyone know what the actually is?)

Third person would be interesting, but it would unfortunately be like Minecraft's 3rdPC. It wouldn't be used much, as the controlling would feel strange and clumsy, so I'm not sure it's going to be implemented anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback![ :D]

I believe that thing in front of the hut is a place where turaga onewa tells his stories with his little stones. you can imagine him, onepu and taipu around it, with the little statues:

''gathered friends, listen again to our legend of the bionicle, but fast, because that highway is not going to make itself!''

Also, i believe you haven't put any suvas on po nor ga koro. I don't seem to remember where the po-suva was, but the ga-suva was in that main square, under that larger lilypad that serves as a sort of ceiling:

http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ga-Koro-ruins-31.png

It should be there. In the bohrok online animations it is there. The nuva symbol appears just there.

Edited by skratchR

Lol! XD [:P]

I don't think that's the suva, I think that's a little centre stone where the matoran fishers leave their catches to dry. The Suva was located on a little lillypad off to the side, I think... And the suva in Po-Koro was shown, in the title screen of the Bionicle Power Pack. Bt i don't think that's totally cannon...

• Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

How do I play Kohlii? And how do you get a Bula Berry? Great game though.

• Upvote 1

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...