What's Wrong With The Name 'Teridax'?

The only thing I don't like about it is how "Makuta" is now both a species name and a organization name. It's needlessly confusing, same with "Glatorian".

The reason the backlash was so massive is just because it's different, and if there's one thing that has been made abundantly clear, it's that the BIONICLE fandom hates change, no matter how minuscule or insignificant.

If "Teridax's" name would of been introduced sooner, like in 2003 or 2004, then I would be ok with it.

Case in point. Literally nothing would change in this scenario, except that it would be established earlier. Somehow that would make it okay, despite being horrible and character-ruining seconds ago.

This fandom has some of the thickest rose-colored glasses ever; I still see the occasional fan that refuses to say "Matoran" and insists on calling them "Tohunga"...

Admittadly "Tohunga" has a more tribal feel to it than Matoran. But then that would mean the name would only actually fit with the 2001-2003 part of the story. I wouldn't have minded the Agori to be called Tohunga, fits better with them (why is New Zealand so nitpicky!?)

Well, you know, there's this whole "cultural appropriation" thing that white people love to do, and everyone else is starting to get really fed up with it. Best to tread lightly around these matters. ;)

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Personally, (and I actually think this is pretty common sentiment) it's because labelling him "Teridax" takes some of the mystery out of him. He is no longer the shrouded-in-darkness-and-intruigue-Makuta, he is Makuta Teridax. It's also then revealed that the Makuta is not merely one creature, one malevolent being with a master plan for taking over, quite literally, the universe. He's just an exceptionally well-thought-through member of a species.

Um, isn't Makuta Teridax still the guy with the master plan for taking over, quite literally, the universe?

It's not the other Makuta who thought up the Plan - it's Teridax, man. You don't mess with him. :P

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 3

It could have been somewhat cool if Teridax had at some point hunted down everybody other than fellow Makuta who knew his real name and insisted on using "Makuta" on the grounds that he was now the ruler of the Makuta (after he replaced Miserix). It's still inefficient, though -- I don't think people are fully engaging with the fact that "The Makuta of Metru Nui" hardly has a mysterious ring to it, it's more just clunky.

Of course, that's why people reacted that way about the species thing, but again, he was always a "type of being" that was "the" Makuta. Whether he was a species with a population of one, and/or the only being bearing a title, it was never his actual name.

Edit: Let's not forget, too, that there's similar name issues with Artakha and Karzahni. It could have worked; just depending on the context, call him "Makuta" -- and you know it's his (taken) personal name -- or "the Makuta" and then it depends on which one is in the area, or being talked about. Only difference is it would be a species/title instead of a land.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It could have been somewhat cool if Teridax had at some point hunted down everybody other than fellow Makuta who knew his real name and insisted on using "Makuta" on the grounds that he was now the ruler of the Makuta (after he replaced Miserix).

But isn't that what the Shadowed One is?

Besides, it wouldn't fit with Teridax's personality. He wants his name to be known! He wants his name to be feared! He wants to make sure that its well imprinted in people's minds so deep that they'd only whisper it in terror, and it has to be HIS name! HE is THE ruler of the universe! (and simply being known as the Makuta would not do enough to fill his ego).

On the other hand you have the Shadowed One. He is the leader of an assasin guild. Like any veteran ninja it would be logical that nobody knows his real name. Teridax wants to spread his shadow around to everywhere, he just wants to have enough shadow to dissappear into and leave without a trace.

Teridax is stealthy and sneaky, he's a tyrant. And like all tyrants he likes to have his name plastered on everything.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

It could have been somewhat cool if Teridax had at some point hunted down everybody other than fellow Makuta who knew his real name and insisted on using "Makuta" on the grounds that he was now the ruler of the Makuta (after he replaced Miserix). It's still inefficient, though -- ...

Plus, Teridax would have essentially copied Artahka's style (having the OoMN eliminate all who knew the location of his island), and he wouldn't want to be though of as an unoriginal super-villain. :P

I can't really see other Makuta refer to Teridax as "The Makuta," largely because of their own egos. However, the Matoran of Metru-Nui called Teridax "The Makuta" because he was, well, the only Makuta around; the "one" in charge of their island. The other Makuta would have likewise been named "The Makuta" on their own islands. I also seem to recall that the names of Makuta weren't common knowledge among the MU inhabitants. So, Antroz would have been called "The Makuta of Xia" outside of Xia, Vamprah "The Makuta of Odina" outside Odina, and so forth. Once Teridax became prominent as the evil world-conquering leader of the Brotherhood, it makes practical sense to call him "The Makuta" instead of the mouthful "The Makuta of Metru-Nui" every time.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Once Teridax became prominent as the evil world-conquering leader of the Brotherhood, it makes practical sense to call him "The Makuta" instead of the mouthful "The Makuta of Metru-Nui" every time.

"The Makuta of Metru Nui Teridax the Great All Powerful Conqurer of Universes"? XD

I can't really see other Makuta refer to Teridax as "The Makuta," largely because of their own egos. However, the Matoran of Metru-Nui called Teridax "The Makuta" because he was, well, the only Makuta around; the "one" in charge of their island. The other Makuta would have likewise been named "The Makuta" on their own islands. I also seem to recall that the names of Makuta weren't common knowledge among the MU inhabitants. So, Antroz would have been called "The Makuta of Xia" outside of Xia, Vamprah "The Makuta of Odina" outside Odina, and so forth.

Actually that makes quite a bit of sense. I also considered that nobody but the Turaga would know the name of Teridax...

Besides, it wouldn't fit with Teridax's personality. He wants his name to be known! He wants his name to be feared! He wants to make sure that its well imprinted in people's minds so deep that they'd only whisper it in terror, and it has to be HIS name! HE is THE ruler of the universe! (and simply being known as the Makuta would not do enough to fill his ego).

All true -- except keep in mind that after he wiped out most of the Makuta (and enslaved the rest to make Kraata, to wipe them out too soon after), he started calling the MU the "Makutaverse" (Makuta Universe). This was certainly not a celebration of the species but of himself. So, he did like being known as the one and only Makuta. I guess before that it was just politics as to why he didn't risk doing that while the others were alive/free.

We also have to keep in mind that in-story, they would not have the emotional perspective on the words as we do. "Teridax" sounds "english", while "Makuta" sounds "tribal". But objectively, there's nothing inherent about the sounds themselves, used as ingredients, that requires they have such connotations in Bionicle. I've often pointed out that Makuta sounds similar to the word Mack too, but we don't seem to notice as much (hence his nickname Terry Mack, heh). Or, Teridax could be spelled Teyridaks. This isn't quite what I'm driving at though -- just that they wouldn't be "hearing" the words "pterodactyl", "Terry", or "terror" like we do. The two names wouldn't necessarily even be two different styles at all.

The problem is there, don't get me wrong, but it's a real-world problem of something being "added in translation" if you will, which makes the in-story sense of the two just being variety in the same style get lost in translation in turn.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

My personal headcanon is that he kept the title of Makuta for similar reasons to what we've discussed - perhaps he recognized that "Makuta" would seem more mysterious and foreboding to the Matoran than "Teridax" would. Or maybe he didn't want to reveal his hand (in this case, the existence of the other surviving Makuta) so early.

(And by "everyone," I guess I was referring to the two other Bionicle fans I knew at the time who even cared about the lore...)

Ah, memories... I used to have just one friend who I talked about it with. He had a large and shadowy house, and when I was five or six years old I had an overactive imagination and no concept of the line between fiction and reality... I distinctly recall several occasions on which I thought I saw none other than Terry in a certain hallway... :lol: What a smart kid I was. Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Since I haven't been active in the Bionicle community for a few years, I had actually forgotten until now that his name was Teridax.

I think the big problem with "Teridax" is that it feels really forced. It hits all the bases of a cheesy science fiction character's name—incorporate the word "terrible" in there, work in an "X," etc. Obviously I'm biased toward "Makuta" because I knew him that way for eight years before they changed things, but it feels a lot less generic. It comes across as more natural and organic since it's rooted in 2001's naming conventions, which were designed around a real-world language.

• Upvote 3

It could have been somewhat cool if Teridax had at some point hunted down everybody other than fellow Makuta who knew his real name and insisted on using "Makuta" on the grounds that he was now the ruler of the Makuta (after he replaced Miserix).

On the other hand you have the Shadowed One. He is the leader of an assasin guild. Like any veteran ninja it would be logical that nobody knows his real name. Teridax wants to spread his shadow around to everywhere, he just wants to have enough shadow to dissappear into and leave without a trace.

Teridax is stealthy and sneaky, he's a tyrant. And like all tyrants he likes to have his name plastered on everything.

But didn't Teridax kill off most of the people who knew his name? I thought only the other Makuta knew it.

I think it's more important to him that he be known as The Makuta, though. He killed off all of the rest of them, and banished Miserix, etc, so he would be known as The Makuta, the one and only.

It's kind of a change, actually. People object to this change because it makes Makuta Teridax less of a being of mystique and dark evil grandour and just a super-strategist. The thing is, Teridax agrees with you. :)

The Bionicle story in large part is Teridax plotting to get more glory for himself, and having a name like Teridax, the glory-killer, would have added motivation to his crusade. He's not just the ordinary Teridax, he is The Makuta. It opens up a dimension on his character that is worth considering.

• Upvote 5

Since I haven't been active in the Bionicle community for a few years, I had actually forgotten until now that his name was Teridax.

I think that takes a special kind of skill, WX. :P

• Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Personally, (and I actually think this is pretty common sentiment) it's because labelling him "Teridax" takes some of the mystery out of him. He is no longer the shrouded-in-darkness-and-intruigue-Makuta, he is Makuta Teridax. It's also then revealed that the Makuta is not merely one creature, one malevolent being with a master plan for taking over, quite literally, the universe. He's just an exceptionally well-thought-through member of a species.

Um, isn't Makuta Teridax still the guy with the master plan for taking over, quite literally, the universe?

It's not the other Makuta who thought up the Plan - it's Teridax, man. You don't mess with him. :P

Yeaahhhhh I guess I worded that poorly. What I meant was:

He is no longer just one mysterious entity with a plan to take over the universe. He is just one in a species (albeit a very "well-thought-out" member that thinks on a grander scale than the others) that are, for the majority, malevolent.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

It could have been somewhat cool if Teridax had at some point hunted down everybody other than fellow Makuta who knew his real name and insisted on using "Makuta" on the grounds that he was now the ruler of the Makuta (after he replaced Miserix). It's still inefficient, though -- I don't think people are fully engaging with the fact that "The Makuta of Metru Nui" hardly has a mysterious ring to it, it's more just clunky.

Of course, that's why people reacted that way about the species thing, but again, he was always a "type of being" that was "the" Makuta. Whether he was a species with a population of one, and/or the only being bearing a title, it was never his actual name.

Edit: Let's not forget, too, that there's similar name issues with Artakha and Karzahni. It could have worked; just depending on the context, call him "Makuta" -- and you know it's his (taken) personal name -- or "the Makuta" and then it depends on which one is in the area, or being talked about. Only difference is it would be a species/title instead of a land.

The idea that all of the other Makuta referred to Teridax as just "Makuta" has been part of my own head canon for a while now; I mentioned it a bit earlier in this thread. I can definitely imagine Teridax hunting down all of the others who knew his given name, and it would even give him an additional reason to put so much effort into harassing the Matoran and Turaga on Mata Nui for 1,000 years.

The title "Makuta of Metru Nui" does at least sound more dramatic than Teridax, as some sort of ancient, alien, imperial title. (Though of course, that's exactly what it is) But what prestige would Teridax get out of being called "Makuta of Metru Nui" after the great catacylsym? During the 2001-2003 story, Metru Nui is a broken-down ruin covered in cobwebs, which Terry himself destroyed and sent Visorak to. It's inhabited by only seven individuals, none of whom are in very good graces with the brotherhood. And it's only one small part of his massive empire; basically the entire MU, since Mata Nui is asleep, Teridax did the deed, and there isn't much resistance. Why would he want to be known as "Makuta of Metru Nui" when he could be the Makuta of the entire MU, and just be called "Makuta" since he was the only one who mattered?

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

He is no longer just one mysterious entity with a plan to take over the universe. He is just one in a species (albeit a very "well-thought-out" member that thinks on a grander scale than the others) that are, for the majority, malevolent.

But Teridax is still a more mysterious and complex plan than all of the other Makuta. None of the others thought up a plan to take over the universe that succeeded. That makes him special.

I just think that any grandour Teridax lost when he was revealed as part of a species was re-gained when his Plan succeeded. The Plan puts Teridax a cut above his peers. But that's just an IMO thing.

But Teridax is still a more mysterious and complex plan than all of the other Makuta. None of the others thought up a plan to take over the universe that succeeded. That makes him special.

I just think that any grandour Teridax lost when he was revealed as part of a species was re-gained when his Plan succeeded. The Plan puts Teridax a cut above his peers. But that's just an IMO thing.

:P I still didn't word it very well. Basically, I'm agreeing with you completely. Terry is pretty awesome. :D

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

During the 2001-2003 story, Metru Nui is a broken-down ruin covered in cobwebs, which Terry himself destroyed and sent Visorak to. It's inhabited by only seven individuals, none of whom are in very good graces with the brotherhood.

Actually, nine, by my count: six Rahaga, Turaga Dume, Keetongu, and Dweller. /pedantics

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Yeah, I have no problem with it, BUT, I still refer to him as Makuta, not teridax. It's just a nostalgia thing for me :)

• Upvote 1

Dont you just hate it when your in a shop then you turn off a power point because nothings plugged into it, then realise that it's actually a light switch.... yeah. :(

I agree with Arthaka's Nephew's original post: it was most likely due to the love of mystery surrounding the character, and a name almost ruins it (For some people). Me personally, I quite enjoy his name - but I also wouldn't like it less if we never got his name. Win-win for me :P.

• Upvote 2

In many cases, people don't like the name Teridax simply because it isn't Makuta.

In my opinion, the name reflects the feel of Bionicle at the given time. "Makuta" was the dark and mysterious spirit that plagued the tropical island of Mata Nui with destruction and disease. The Makuta of Metru Nui was the "guardian" of the City of Legends who had turned on the city, putting all the inhabitants into comas then invading it with hordes of soldiers. Teridax was the makuta who sent his brethren to die in the core of the universe while he made his way to the "control room" to... manipulate it as he sees fit and travel from planet to planet expressing his ultimate power.

People don't like it because it doesn't hold nostalgia and feels different, which reflects the time period that it was introduced in.

• Upvote 3

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Was it always planned for the top villain to be be introduced under one name then renamed to something quite different much later on? If so, why?

I believe so; it was most likely to provide a mystery to the character. There was a reason why the Turaga always called him "The" Makuta rather than just Makuta - it suggested that there were more than one, but also showing that he was the top guy - hence the "the".

It was never his proper name. That was planned all along. My understanding is the idea of having "Makuta" be a species name came later; I believe one of Greg's answers in Jag's recent file (see Greg Compendium) is along those lines. The decision to reveal his personal name came about as a result of confusion from that as was understood by everybody at the time. And the difference in style happened due to the whole Maori lawsuit etc. :)

Was it always planned for the top villain to be be introduced under one name then renamed to something quite different much later on? If so, why?

Because of "the big secret" in general.

The Turaga knew his name, but the Matoran didn't. Meaning that we, the readers, are generally put into the feet of a Matoran and only learn much later the secrets of the residing universe.

I ask on account of this question I asked Greg on the old forum and his response:

Was the main Makuta called Teridax from the start? Because I find the sound of the name Teridax a bit difficult to reconcile with that of names like Pohatu, Nokama, Akaku, etc.

No. The decision to give him a name wasn't made until 2008, when we had other Makuta as characters in story and it wouldn't make sense for them all to call each other Makuta. Keep in mind, also, that the 2001 names were Maori terms, and post 2001 was not, so things sound different.

This seems to suggest the decision to give him another name came about after it was decided to have a whole species that used the name 'Makuta' which had previously been the villain's individual name.

• Upvote 1

I ask on account of this question I asked Greg on the old forum and his response:

Was the main Makuta called Teridax from the start? Because I find the sound of the name Teridax a bit difficult to reconcile with that of names like Pohatu, Nokama, Akaku, etc.

No. The decision to give him a name wasn't made until 2008, when we had other Makuta as characters in story and it wouldn't make sense for them all to call each other Makuta. Keep in mind, also, that the 2001 names were Maori terms, and post 2001 was not, so things sound different.

This seems to suggest the decision to give him another name came about after it was decided to have a whole species that used the name 'Makuta' which had previously been the villain's individual name.

Doesn't matter does it? Loads of things were decided on later on in Star Trek too, but everybody pretended that it was like that all a long. Some things you just come up with on-the-spot.

I see it more as a title - I mean, in the beginning they always said "The" Makuta. It worked at the time, but once the Species and other members were introduced, he needed to get his own name. It's similar to saying the king or the lord. If there is only one person to talk about, you don't need a specific name, but once you introduce several people with the same title, e.g. "King John" and "King Richard", you need to make a distinction

• Upvote 3

"The drums are coming closer"

I don't mind Makuta having a real name, I can understand how he could have a real name but be known as just "Makuta".

Vote Saxon hit the nail on the head.

I don't like the name "Teridax" much either, due to the graphology of the word. It looks sharper, more cutting, than "Makuta", which looks more brute and somewhat rounded.

I also agree with the tribal connotations. Makuta does sound more tribal than Teridax, just like the entire 2001-2003 storyline was.

Teridax isn't overwhelmingly bad though, I can deal with it.

• Upvote 1

I personally like the name 'Makuta Teridax'. It helps me understand that He is the one who controlled the Rahi beasts with their infected masks, on the island of Mata Nui and unleashed the Bohrok swarms and the Rahkshi. In the past, when the Matoran were Metru Matoran and the Turaga of Mata Nui were Toa Metru, he disguised himself as Turaga Dume and used the Vahki enforcers to stop the Toa Metru and have power and control over Metru Nui.

Edited by bohrokmaster

I think it's 'cause it just doesn't sound sinister enough, and doesn't roll of the tongue as easily cause of all the hard sounds in it. I always expected something.... different, I guess. Also, I just realized it sounds a bit like Pterodactyl, so maybe that's been nagging at the back of everyone's minds

Edited by The Darkest Hunter

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Teridax --> Ter- id - dax

Pterodactyl -->Ter - o - dac - tal

2 common sounds?

I think that's a coincidence, 2008 being the year for flying things and all, seeing as the name was chosen from the beginning.

I'm confused on three points here:

1) What do you mean by sounds? At the very least I'm counting 5 sounds in common between Teridaks and Terodaktl, depending on if the "a" in Teridax is really "ah" (assuming standard American accent for the pterosaur) -- if not (and I suspect not) that'd be 6 -- and in standard American dialect at least, unstressed vowel-only middle syllables are usually pronounced as "ih", "uh", or something in between, so arguably 7 (that would be Teridaks and Teridaktl).

2) What did you mean was a coincidence? I highly doubt it's a coincidence that Teridax sounds like Pterodactyl, if that's what you mean. It was an early version of the trend now almost universal in Hero Factory of using a term from languages other than Maori -- mainly English and Latin -- based on an animal or other obvious trait in common with the character, like Kalmah/Calamari, Bitil/Beetle, etc. (Some people don't like that strategy, but it is what it is. I've generally liked it in Bionicle, but oddly not in HF lol; I like it in Teridax. We should keep in mind that if you speak certain other languages esp. Maori, 2001 words would feel familiar just as much, so it's been part of the strategy from the start.)

3) What did you mean about "beginning"? Are you saying the name Teridax was assigned (secretly) to the character in 2001? That can't be; it's part of that name style change that happened after the Maori incident. Pretty sure it was 2007. It could have been as early as 2003 if the winged thing was already being planned for the 2004 movie at the time.

Also, you kinda seem to be thinking that Makuta being winged only happened in 2008. No, it was implied (and generally assumed) in 2004 (Greg may have confirmed it, but I don't recall one way or the other), when Teridax absorbed Nivawk to get wings, but otherwise looked like his 2003 self, strongly implying the standard form of the species is winged titans, and the Nivawk thing was a quick cheat to get close to his standard form. It was taken this way by the illustrator of Bionicle World; I forget when that was published, but before 2008, pretty sure. By the time of 2008 we already knew if you were going to represent a Makuta's standard form you were supposed to include wings, so it wasn't surprising they did that with the others then.

Sorry if I've completely missed what you meant... Hope this helps. :)

Edited by bonesiii

Teridax --> Ter- id - dax

Pterodactyl -->Ter - o - dac - tal

2 common sounds?

I think that's a coincidence, 2008 being the year for flying things and all, seeing as the name was chosen from the beginning.

I'm confused on three points here:

1) What do you mean by sounds? At the very least I'm counting 5 sounds in common between Teridaks and Terodaktl, depending on if the "a" in Teridax is really "ah" (assuming standard American accent for the pterosaur) -- if not (and I suspect not) that'd be 6 -- and in standard American dialect at least, unstressed vowel-only middle syllables are usually pronounced as "ih", "uh", or something in between, so arguably 7 (that would be Teridaks and Teridaktl).

2) What did you mean was a coincidence? I highly doubt it's a coincidence that Teridax sounds like Pterodactyl, if that's what you mean. It was an early version of the trend now almost universal in Hero Factory of using a term from languages other than Maori -- mainly English and Latin -- based on an animal or other obvious trait in common with the character, like Kalmah/Calamari, Bitil/Beetle, etc. (Some people don't like that strategy, but it is what it is. I've generally liked it in Bionicle, but oddly not in HF lol; I like it in Teridax. We should keep in mind that if you speak certain other languages esp. Maori, 2001 words would feel familiar just as much, so it's been part of the strategy from the start.)

3) What did you mean about "beginning"? Are you saying the name Teridax was assigned (secretly) to the character in 2001? That can't be; it's part of that name style change that happened after the Maori incident. Pretty sure it was 2007. It could have been as early as 2003 if the winged thing was already being planned for the 2004 movie at the time.

Also, you kinda seem to be thinking that Makuta being winged only happened in 2008. No, it was implied (and generally assumed) in 2004 (Greg may have confirmed it, but I don't recall one way or the other), when Teridax absorbed Nivawk to get wings, but otherwise looked like his 2003 self, strongly implying the standard form of the species is winged titans, and the Nivawk thing was a quick cheat to get close to his standard form. It was taken this way by the illustrator of Bionicle World; I forget when that was published, but before 2008, pretty sure. By the time of 2008 we already knew if you were going to represent a Makuta's standard form you were supposed to include wings, so it wasn't surprising they did that with the others then.

Sorry if I've completely missed what you meant... Hope this helps. :)

1) "sounds" may not be the right word - more like syllables. I broke it down by syllables, then looked for similarities. By that breakdown, "Ter" is common to both words, and "dax" is corresponding to "dac" in dactyl. But I don't claim to be a linguist, and if you throw all the consonant sounds there in addition to the vowels, you could end up with 5 or more sounds. And "Teridactyl" is a valid pronunciation - I just randomly went for Terodactyl.

2-3) I stand corrected.

I know people have already mentioned it before, by comparing the title "Makuta" to saying "King" or "Queen". However, I don't think it really hits home that way. If I were to say, "The President gave a speech today," to whom do you think I would be referring? If you're in the US, it's almost certain that you would presume President Obama, and in other places without a president, that would likely be the presumption as well, since President Obama is the most prominent holder of that title. However, if I were to say the same thing in Russia or Israel, it's likely that the person with whom I was speaking would presume I was referring to Vladimir Putin or Shimon Peres, respectively.

Furthermore, if I remember correctly, we had already pretty much concluded that there was more than one Makuta at least as early as 2006, and the presumption was that those Makuta were called Makuta. Besides that, I was really happy to have something more useful than "MoMN" to refer to Teridax.

How well will you die?

• 2 weeks later...

In many cases, people don't like the name Teridax simply because it isn't Makuta.

In my opinion, the name reflects the feel of Bionicle at the given time. "Makuta" was the dark and mysterious spirit that plagued the tropical island of Mata Nui with destruction and disease. The Makuta of Metru Nui was the "guardian" of the City of Legends who had turned on the city, putting all the inhabitants into comas then invading it with hordes of soldiers. Teridax was the makuta who sent his brethren to die in the core of the universe while he made his way to the "control room" to... manipulate it as he sees fit and travel from planet to planet expressing his ultimate power.

People don't like it because it doesn't hold nostalgia and feels different, which reflects the time period that it was introduced in.

I don't like it because 1) teridax sounds like a contrived name that is a staple of poorly done science fiction. He sounds like a stock villain, a stupid evil mastermind with a laser cannon aimed at Earth. Makuta sounds tribal, and pervasive. It's like you're uttering the name of the enemy, not just a villain, but the opposite of your guardians and protectors, the opposite of your patron spirit. It evokes the Polynesian tribalism and the spiritual duality reminiscent of faiths like Zoroastrianism and stuff like that. I didn't like the establishment of the Makuta as a species. It, to me, diminished the title. You create a species of sentient virus for the prime purpose of populating a giant robotic body with bio-mechanical animals and you give them all negative characteristics? It's absurd. There could have been a better way. There WAS a better way. Makuta, before he was Teridax, was on par with Angra Mainyu, to Mata Nui's Ahura Mazda. After "Teridax", he's almost like Robotnik.
  • Upvote 4

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

I don't like it because 1) teridax sounds like a contrived name that is a staple of poorly done science fiction. He sounds like a stock villain, a stupid evil mastermind with a laser cannon aimed at Earth. Makuta sounds tribal, and pervasive. It's like you're uttering the name of the enemy, not just a villain, but the opposite of your guardians and protectors, the opposite of your patron spirit. It evokes the Polynesian tribalism and the spiritual duality reminiscent of faiths like Zoroastrianism and stuff like that. I didn't like the establishment of the Makuta as a species. It, to me, diminished the title. You create a species of sentient virus for the prime purpose of populating a giant robotic body with bio-mechanical animals and you give them all negative characteristics? It's absurd. There could have been a better way. There WAS a better way. Makuta, before he was Teridax, was on par with Angra Mainyu, to Mata Nui's Ahura Mazda. After "Teridax", he's almost like Robotnik.

^ Lovin' this post ^

• Upvote 1