Set Review: 41503 Krader

I've found that switching the ball eyes for the 1x1 round tile eyes doesn't look too bad either.

krader_eyes.jpg

But I wish at least the right arm had a bit more articulation.

(Krader is still the absolute best Mixel so far.)

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Okay, I'm gonna get shot for this, but am I the only one around here who doesn't think these Cragster Mixels don't even remotely resembles females?! It just doesn't sit with me...

What makes them resemble males? Or is your only reason for them being male that they don't resemble a narrow definition of "female"?

Well, do you think their voices would sound a bit feminine? It's a tad difficult for me to imagine.

mindeth the cobwebs

Okay, I'm gonna get shot for this, but am I the only one around here who doesn't think these Cragster Mixels don't even remotely resembles females?! It just doesn't sit with me...

What makes them resemble males? Or is your only reason for them being male that they don't resemble a narrow definition of "female"?

Well, do you think their voices would sound a bit feminine? It's a tad difficult for me to imagine.

If your defense is the stupid cartoon that accompanies the toys then you're not gonna do much to sway me here. Take away the voices and we're back to square one, and you still haven't shown me why they can't be female.

• Upvote 1

If your defense is the stupid cartoon that accompanies the toys then you're not gonna do much to sway me here. Take away the voices and we're back to square one, and you still haven't shown me why they can't be female.

No, I mean mental images.

Also, I'm not intending to attack the opposite gender. I'm saying that these sets don't look like females to me.

mindeth the cobwebs

I'm saying that these sets don't look like females to me.

The sets have no specific gender traits, so that's good.

Provided, of course, that they also don't look male to you.

Me, I think it would be better in things like front-page product reviews to defer to canon, which in this case would mean referring to them as male. Outside of that, though, canon can go right out the window.

Personally I've decided that they're like Pokémon, and each Krader or Shuff or Volectro is an individual with its own gender, name, and personality.

(I haven't decided on names for mine yet, but the Vulk seems to indicate a preference for female pronouns while the Krader leans toward male.)

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm saying that these sets don't look like females to me.

The sets have no specific gender traits, so that's good.

Provided, of course, that they also don't look male to you.

Me, I think it would be better in things like front-page product reviews to defer to canon, which in this case would mean referring to them as male. Outside of that, though, canon can go right out the window.

Personally I've decided that they're like Pokémon, and each Krader or Shuff or Volectro is an individual with its own gender, name, and personality.

(I haven't decided on names for mine yet, but the Vulk seems to indicate a preference for female pronouns while the Krader leans toward male.)

I actually agree with you. I guess it all relies on the imagination and preferences! That's a good point!

mindeth the cobwebs

Can what Mixels has really be called a "canon" though? They're these dumb little slapstick shorts made to pad out the space between shows, not an epic. I doubt it does too much harm to just not care what they say the characters are in favor of one's own imagination.

Can what Mixels has really be called a "canon" though? They're these dumb little slapstick shorts made to pad out the space between shows, not an epic. I doubt it does too much harm to just not care what they say the characters are in favor of one's own imagination.

Keeping in mind that a lot of themes don't get much story outside of online profiles, yeah, I'd consider it enough of a "canon" to recognize.

Obviously for things like this it's stupidly easy to disregard it, but for something like a product review my preference is to get background on what and who the official character is. Like a blurb in the first paragraph with its LEGO.com description or something. And then you proceed to ignore it for the rest of the review in favor of your own interpretations. I'm certainly no stranger to taking creative liberties when going over a set, I just think it's better to present all the information possible.

Though in this case it appears that the reviews were written before all the information was widespread, so it can't really apply here.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg