• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Future of BrickCraft.me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Infrared

Infrared
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Lightning Voyager

• 334 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 21 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi! As you might or might not be aware, BrickCraft.me, which was the home of The Ninjago Wiki and The Chima Wiki, has been offline for almost a year now. For a while I tried to keep you guys posted on updates, but my latest one was in last August—there just hasn't been anything to report. Honestly, BrickCraft.me is pretty much dead at this point.

All hope isn't lost, though. We're considering moving somewhere else, preferably Brickimedia—that is, assuming all our content isn't lost. Meiko recently discovered his copy of the sites is corrupt, but we're cautiously optimistic there's another backup out there somewhere. Worst comes to worst, the Wayback Machine has a huge number of articles from TNW backed up (I haven't been able to find any TCW articles on there, though).

I'll do my best to keep you updated as events unfold.

Edit: Well, it seems I've jumped the gun; sorry about that. However, doing so resulted in a (non-gun-jumping) update coming out; check out SK's post two posts down!

Edited by Infrared, Mar 22 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#2 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,042 posts

Posted Mar 21 2014 - 06:47 PM

The Chima Wiki hadn't really kicked off before we went offline. As far as I remember, an official launch hadn't happened yet, and there wasn't too much content. I am kind of upset that I just realised that my SQL backups of the The Ninjago Wiki database is corrupted. I got the backup from Bioran via Dropbox before we went offline, so maybe he still has a backup, and maybe his works. At this point I don't know; I haven't spoken to Bioran in months, and as far as I know he is no longer involved in the LEGO community. I still have him as a Facebook friend, so I've asked him about him having any backup. If we can't get a full backup, we can try to copy what's on the Wayback Machine to Brickipedia.

This also means that KahohiJournal and all other Plast projects likely won't come back. If I can find a backup for it, there's a possibility for Brickimedia to adopt them. but that can only happen if a backup is available.

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#3 Offline Shadow Kurahk

Shadow Kurahk
  • Premier Member
  • Lehvak-Kal Attacks!

• 3,658 posts

Posted Mar 22 2014 - 03:02 AM

I find this premature, especially since I was not contacted by either of the members above me, and I served alongside Bioran in operating BrickCraft.me, KanohiJournal, and Plast.

Here are the definitive things straight from the administration:

• We decided not to renew the KanohiJournal domain. That project is long dead.
  • BrickCraft.me was never formally cancelled, and I am personally still interested in pursuing that project. We may be late to the punch.

Bioran is heavily occupied with college, and I am nearly there, but I will be running all sorts of online projects starting this summer. BrickCraft.me may just be one of them. Bioran and I are still in touch and will discuss this a bit further.

Thanks for a great ride! There might still be a future for Plast!

#4 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,042 posts

Posted Mar 22 2014 - 05:30 PM

• BrickCraft.me was never formally cancelled, and I am personally still interested in pursuing that project. We may be late to the punch.

Bioran is heavily occupied with college, and I am nearly there, but I will be running all sorts of online projects starting this summer. BrickCraft.me may just be one of them. Bioran and I are still in touch and will discuss this a bit further.

Thanks for a great ride! There might still be a future for Plast!

I honestly thought you had left this project. You told me a few months back you were no longer as interested in the LEGO community. As for BrickCraft.me, I think it'd be better as a part of Brickimedia. Brickimedia aims to be the largest LEGO fan community network, and is already close to being that already (and has many supporters, including Brickset, The Brick Fan, TheBrickBlogger, HothBricks, and the LEGO Group itself. Brickimedia's mission could go hand in hand with BrickCraft.me's, and I think you'd be perfectly able to be a sysadmin for Brickimedia too. A couple of our sysadmins for Brickimedia are also MediaWiki core developers and Wikimedia stewards and whatnot, but with your experience you'd probably fit in fine, and have great ideas and contributions to share.

I think Brickimedia's MediaWiki setup would be best for BrickCraft.me, first of all because it runs on one MediaWiki installation (our setup we had on BrickCraft.me was really inefficient), we're always up to date, performance is better (BrickCraft.me used to have really slow load times on occasion), and if we ever needed a new feature, having MediaWiki core developers on the team is great. ;)

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#5 Offline Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,089 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Mar 22 2014 - 06:28 PM

All this discussion sounds like it's better off being done in private, and probably not on BZPower.
Thread closed.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users