New Ninjago Game Releasing This Summer

Yahoo! Finance, of all places, has posted a press release announcing a new videogame to be released on Nintendo 3DS and Playstation Vita this summer. LEGO Ninjago: Nindroids is being developed by Hellbent Games in partnership with TT Games and will be published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game will feature thirty levels and all your favorite characters and vehicles, from Cole's Earth Mech to Zane's Ninjacopter. Sounds interesting, and it's good to know Ninjago will be returning to consoles soon!

View the full article

This is awesome news! The cover art looks beautiful and the screenshots show a game a lot more technically advanced than LEGO Battles: Ninjago. That was not a bad game, but its visuals were rather lacking, in part because it needed to be able to handle lots and lots of characters on the same screen without lag, and was limited by the capabilities of the Nintendo DS.

I hope one of the combo attacks is to use Spinjitzu. My brother thought of the idea of Spinjitzu as a combo attack in a beat-'em-up game a long time ago and it still seems like it'd be a great way to utilize the concept of Spinjitzu as a martial art — moving so fast that you become a literal tornado of energy.

It also appears that there will be some vehicle-based combat, which adds a nice additional dynamic to the gameplay just as it did in games like LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game.

Overall, I hardly expect this to become game of the year, but it does look like it's going to be a quality game. Like LEGO Battles: Ninjago and unlike BIONICLE Heroes, it apparently seeks to remain faithful to the official storyline, or as faithful as it can be while still delivering a quality gaming experience. I can't wait to hear more in-depth information about this game.

It's a bit of a shame that it won't have a counterpart on the Wii U and other home consoles. The Wii U is no longer as bereft of games as it used to be, but LEGO City Undercover apparently did a fantastic job making use of the system's capabilities and was one of the system's first really great games. It would be awesome to see what a Ninjago console game could achieve. I suppose perhaps it's for the best, though. Often when a LEGO game is available for both consoles and handhelds, the handheld version ends up being just a stripped-down version of the console title. Having it exclusive to handhelds means the gameplay can be optimized for those systems.

When it was announced that Hellbent was working on it again, I was expecting the game to be a direct sequel to Lego Battles: Ninjago. I am glad to see from the screenshots that it will incorporate more features from the standard Lego games. Not that I didn't like Lego Battles, but I do like the standard stuff much more.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

The cover art is amazing indeed. Ninjago is getting quite a decent lot of promotion for a theme that was originally supposed to end last year. Which probably means that LEGO still has quite some things in mind for Ninjago's future.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^