Spectacular Spider-Man Trailer

I've been planning to make a trailer for Spectacular Spider-Man for months, though I never was quite sure how to do it - should it be about Spider-Man or Peter Parker? 2 and 1/2 minutes isn't a lot of time to cover both sides of the coin. The announcement of a Blu-Ray for the series sort of catalyzed my creative juices, and after a few weeks I produced this fan-made trailer:

It ain't perfect, but I think it's still a good representation of what the series is about.

Comments? Criticism? Throw 'em at me, even if what you wanna say isn't nice.

If you liked what you saw, I've done tons of other fan trailers, including Young Justice, Turtles Forever, and the four BIONICLE movies. Check out my YouTube channel.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

I was very lucky to discover this absolute gem of a TV show a couple of years ago, and since then I've maintained that The Spectacular Spider-Man, if you look past the kiddish art style, is one of the very best Spider-Man products ever made outside the comics, it just got so many things right.

This trailer captures well enough the angsty and dark side of being Spider-Man, and it goes just deep enough to really catch one's interest, without going too deep.

I do, however, feel like this trailer misses a lot of the sense of fun that the show itself often had, which is a glaring oversight in my opinion.

That said, you just made me want to rewatch both seasons of this unjustly cancelled cartoon, so I'll leave you with a thumbs up and a "keep trying"

:)

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Yeah, I felt when watching the final product that the trailer was missing the "fun" factor that made the series so enjoyable. I wasn't quite sure what I could do to change that, though. A few wise-cracks would just seem like everyday Spidey.

Maybe I could have featured one of the humorous exchanges between JJ Jameson and Peter (maybe from episode 4, where Jonah dismisses all of Peter's photos as "garbage" except for the one with Spidey being beaten by Shocker).

I'll keep that in mind next time. When I make multiple trailers for a single movie, I try to focus on different aspects of said movie. Maybe, if I ever make a second trailer, I can focus more on the light-hearted side of the show rather than the Parker money problems and the bad side of being Spidey.

• 2 weeks later...

Your trailer really made the show a lot more appealing to me, I'd never really seen any of the stuff you included before that presented the actual plot and characters and all, it looks really interesting and a lot more complex than just basic Spidey-beats-up-the-badguys stuff. I'll definitely have to give it a watch now :D The music was pretty aight, I think it would've been more powerful if you switched it up or added another instrumental track at some point? But it kept the trailer moving and it wasn't very distracting so I like it. The cuts were good, it flowed well, only thing that was off was the scene where Peter and Gwen are informed about the internship, it may have been some poorly timed lag on my end but it sounded like the audio wasn't synced to the video very well.

I feel like the only thing missing from this trailer would have been another teaser of that mysterious figure who was watching Spidey at the beginning? It set up some intrigue but by the end of the trailer I forgot all about it and then I'm left wondering, "wait, what was that? Was that important? Does it relate to the rest of the stuff I saw somehow?" I don't know if there's any way to include another shot of that person at the end that would just remind the viewer that they exist and are somehow related to everything else, if they are that is, without spoiling anything, but I do hope there is 'cause yeah, it would help ^^

I really wanna check out the show now, so I'd say your trailer did it's job really well! ^_^

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

...it looks really interesting and a lot more complex than just basic Spidey-beats-up-the-badguys stuff.

It's very complex, yes. This show was part of the all-too-brief burst of greatness from Marvel Animation from 2008 to mid-2012. Wolverine and the X-Men, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and The Spectacular Spider-Man were all very similar in their method of storytelling. They're all great shows.

The music was pretty aight, I think it would've been more powerful if you switched it up or added another instrumental track at some point? But it kept the trailer moving and it wasn't very distracting so I like it.

Part of me wanted to switch out the music half-way, but music is a pretty powerful thing (even if you aren't paying attention to it) - it can make or break a scene. I guess I was worried changing the music would really hurt the flow of the trailer, but whenever I make another fan trailer I'll certainly try to be diverse ("Sky Dream" from Hi-Finesse is one I've wanted to use for a while).

The cuts were good, it flowed well, only thing that was off was the scene where Peter and Gwen are informed about the internship, it may have been some poorly timed lag on my end but it sounded like the audio wasn't synced to the video very well.

Dang it, you're right. I wanted this trailer to be in HD, so I got a stereo 720p webrip. But I wanted to get rid of the background music, so I ripped the center channel of the 5.1 audio on my DVD copy. They didn't sync up when I muxed the two together. So, in my video editor, I had to delay the source audio the best I could. Sometimes it worked; other times it looked a bit off. Oh well.

I feel like the only thing missing from this trailer would have been another teaser of that mysterious figure who was watching Spidey at the beginning?

That would be the Big Man of Crime, the mob boss running virtually all the organized crime in NYC. His true identity (i.e. his real name) is a secret for a few episodes, so I was cautious about featuring him in the trailer. Unfortunately, the brief shadowy blip you saw in the trailer is the only time we actually get to see him in person before learning his identity a few eps later. Plus, when you only have about 2 and a half minutes to work with (that's how long a trailer can officially run) you have to pick and choose your clips carefully. It may have been a better idea to put him at the end of the trailer - like you said, the viewer's being bombarded with so much information that he's definitely going to forget about the Big Man.

I really wanna check out the show now, so I'd say your trailer did it's job really well!

You'll love it. In a time where Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., and Teen Titans Go! are the only superhero shows on television (and are for the most part very very terrible at being funny) this show is a real treat to watch. A lot of people argue that with more episodes, this series could have surpassed Batman: The Animated Series in terms of greatness.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939