Biggest Names in the Bionicle Fandom

Black Six

I was talking to someone recently, and we were wondering who the most well-known people in the Bionicle community were. Not just the best builders, but the most dedicated fans - those who are known throughout the community for different things, maybe their stories, artwork, videos, websites they run, etc. Are they still active, or have they stepped away from the community and moved on to other things? Do they hang out on BZPower or elsewhere?

Some names that come to mind when I think about it might be:

DeeVee, Brickthing, Roa McToa, and Retinence - some of the biggest Bionicle/constraction/fusion builders

Swert - that guy's been running BS01 for ages now

InnerRayg - I hear people still talk about his sprite kit ;)

Gatanui - have you seen how many times his name has been on the front page?

Do you agree or disagree with the people on my list? Who's on your list of most well-known Bionicle fans? Why?

• Upvote 5

I think your forgetting about the founders and current administrators of that certain popular Bionicle forum, what's it called again? :P

In all seriousness, I completely agree with this list; I sort of think that your excluding some really talented builders and artists. Cajun and ToM Dracone, certainly come to mind as notable omissions.

• Upvote 2

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

I think your forgetting about the founders and current administrators of that certain popular Bionicle forum, what's it called again? :P

In all seriousness, I completely agree with this list; I sort of think that your excluding some really talented builders and artists. Cajun and ToM Dracone, certainly come to mind as notable omissions.

Those are definitely both big names that I didn't list. I wasn't trying to be all-encompassing, just throwing out some ideas. Feel free to suggest anyone else I didn't put down!

I have definitely had D.Viddy, Retinence and Roa name-dropped by employees in the Lego Store in Calgary. And I think Cajun, ToM, Shan, Kex and Jinzo still have enough Grandpa cred to get by.

Everyone talks about Ray's kits and BZPstuck still and ToM is KING of Bionicle fanart on Tumblr right now. Schizo also once existed.

Also hey anyone else remember HH and GaliGee stories and constantly waiting for updates?

Post possibly to be updated as I remember more stuff.

EDIT: I forgot to add Flintsmith for his wonderful mask creations as well as Octodad [as of writing this] for her invaluable contributions to the comic forum with Limadox. JTT for his unmatched better-than-canon Matoran dictionary.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

GSR has the best stories on and off the site and you're a liar if you disagree

Cajun, Deevs and Roa come to mind as the major builders so no argument there

Artist would probably be limited to ToM and Uncle K (can't remember what he's going by anymore) since I haven't seen a lot of Lady K or Nikira anymore

• Upvote 2

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Bonesiii comes to mind as a staff member who remains active in the S&T forums, answering questions and suggesting theories. He also did a lot to make the reference section of this site one of the best, back when that was an integral part of BZPower.

EDIT: Katuko and his Bionicle Fighter game are definitely among the best known people/games of the community. In the comics department, Gavla and his long-running series of the same name comes to mind.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 2

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I've got to say I was quite pleasantly surprised to see my name on there. ^_^

Bonesiii comes to mind for his incredible dedication in the story forums, plus I can remember some old games of his (The Map of Mata Nui). Speaking about games, I'm not sure how popular they actually were, but Emzee (and others) made several games under the label of Cyan Productions.

Oh yeah, and also Dark709, I guess. Everyone knew his comics back then. :P

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I think TLH and Roger C-T should be on that list of dedicated fans, just for their collections, but also because of their rare pieces. Of course not to sound arrogant, but i think my name belongs on the list with TLH and Roger C-T, I'm opening up a Bionicle Gallery, and i own a lot of really rare stuff from bionicle's past (SGH, and the PA ect.) But yes! You get my point.

MC

• Upvote 1

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Mask Collector, Xonar, Turakii, Deevee and Bonesii all come to mind first. I haven't been very active in the Bionicle fandom in years, and even then never much outside BZP, so my experiences are pretty limited.

Wow, I didn't expect to see my name anywhere in this topic! Thanks. :)

For me, when I think about the most notable members of the community over the years, these people always come to mind:

Auron

Binkmeister

Screenguy

Crystal Matrix

Black Six

Flintsmith

Bones

RedQuark

Gatanui

Toa Lhikan Hordika

Mesonak

Mask collector

And more that I've probably forgotten to list...

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

I would add JuniorMasterModelBuilder, because of all his work on offline LEGO stuff (here, BMP, BOGA, etc), as well as possibly Taka Nuvia, with her stupendous art.

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever seen B6 begin a GD thread.

Edited by Master of all Kopekes
  • Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

How could I have forgotten to mention Mesonak and The Three Virtues? He's definitely one of the best known ambassadors for Bionicle on YouTube.

During the time when Bionicle: Next Generation was active and growing in popularity, Lewa Krom was a very prominent member of the entire fandom.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I would add JuniorMasterModelBuilder, because of all his work on offline LEGO stuff (here, BMP, BOGA, etc), as well as possibly Taka Nuvia, with her stupendous art.

When I saw B6's av on the topic, I figured it had just been closed, but I was pleasantly surprised. XD

And yeah, not sure how I could have forgotten JMMB! BIONICLE media archives in general wouldn't be where they are today without his work.

• Upvote 2
Bliss.png

The major names that are active all seem to have been covered, though I think Aanchir, Lyichir and that other sibling of theirs deserve modest mention for their high level of activity here and elsewhere in the Lego online world.

Bionicle Rex was an admin for a lot of this site's lifespan, and Crystal Matrix, as the founder of BionicleSector01, is obviously very important too.

Going back further, Torhu/T-Hybrid was a fairly big name just over ten years ago, if only for having so many darn posts.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

When I saw B6's av on the topic, I figured it had just been closed, but I was pleasantly surprised. XD

And yeah, not sure how I could have forgotten JMMB! BIONICLE media archives in general wouldn't be where they are today without his work.

Yeah, JMMB is the Swert/Crystal Matrix of BIONICLE media and games. We owe him a lot in that regard.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

The major names that are active all seem to have been covered, though I think Aanchir, Lyichir and that other sibling of theirs deserve modest mention for their high level of activity here and elsewhere in the Lego online world.

Bionicle Rex was an admin for a lot of this site's lifespan, and CrystalMatrix, as the founder of BionicleSector01, is obviously very important too.

Going back further, Torhu/T-Hybrid was a fairly big name just over ten years ago, if only for having so many darn posts.

Awww, Kohran, you're too sweet. I don't think I'm especially notable, although Aanchir definitely is, especially for his color expertise.

Crystal Matrix is of definite importance (you only need cite the acknowledgments in the Bionicle Encyclopedia to prove that). Binkmeister too (being an example of someone who graduated from the fandom to an actual career with Lego).

As for someone who hasn't been mentioned yet... how about SPIRIT? I can't have been the only one who adored his little flash animations back in the day.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think of Black Six because he's been running this crazy Bionicle forum and doing his very best at it for ages now.

Vrahno from DA. Definitely Lady Kopaka and ToM and Nikira, as well as a few other really internet-prominent people I can't name here.

Actually I also think of Nova Nuhvok because of her absolutely excellent fanfic.

No duh for DeeVee.

Also hey anyone else remember HH and GaliGee stories and constantly waiting for updates?

You changed your avatar so at first I was like "Who is this person that actually remembers my horrible fanfiction and the fact that it was popular once"

Edited by Hahli Husky
  • Upvote 4

Yanno, the fact that I was mentioned at all in a threat about "big names," regardless of TTV involvement or not, actually scares me. Because I'm no one. I'm barely even a Part of TTV, asides being one of the founders. The only thing that scares me more is the fact that LJ was mentioned too.

But anyways, I would have to say... Lady K for her artwork and stories, Takuta Nui for his writing, and Friar Tuck/Nuju for the BZPRPG and the fact that there's no way it would've become as popular as it did without their help.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Bionicle Rex was an admin for a lot of this site's lifespan, and CrystalMatrix, as the founder of BionicleSector01, is obviously very important too.

Awww, Kohran, you're too sweet. I don't think I'm especially notable, although Aanchir definitely is, especially for his color expertise.

Crystal Matrix is of definite importance (you only need cite the acknowledgments in the Bionicle Encyclopedia to prove that). Binkmeister too (being an example of someone who graduated from the fandom to an actual career with Lego).

As for someone who hasn't been mentioned yet... how about SPIRIT? I can't have been the only one who adored his little flash animations back in the day.

I found the Bionicle in Two mins on youtube. Even PMed him were I could downloud the songs in one of the animations. Alas, I cannot get them. :(

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

onua nuva fan comes to mind as a star ref keeper from the old forum, even through I never got to talking with him much.

Also Erebus has not been mentioned - if anything, he deserves props for finding Greg after the downtime and getting BS01 to ask him questions. This great injustice has been righted, I hope. (Also Dorek, and the other people of BS01 fame or whatever.)

I remember SPIRIT. I still hear the legends of GaliGee and Crystal Matrix, and a certain Lavasurfer...and then there's the usual suspects. JMMB, Swert, Black Six, Gata (although it seems like the last two have moved on to other things).

bonesiii? Who is bonesiii?

• Upvote 1

Though several people have already mentioned it before me, I post again to say there cannot be a list like this that does not contain the administrators of this site, especially Kelly and Andrew. Andrew because of his amazing and longtime dedication to this site and our community and Kelly also for being an admin, but mostly for winning the website contest in 2001 and actually making it from being a fan to becoming the webmaster of BIONICLE.com and others.

While I'm at it, I'm going to mention some other names: SPIRIT, Erebus, Dorek, ... more to come.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Honestly, I think all the staff of BZP are pretty dedicated fans; that's sorta how they became staff in the first place, by being active people in the community. You can't go wrong picking any of them, though I would like to highly second the nominations for boneseiii, ToM, and Hahli Husky.

• Upvote 1
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

This went from "The Biggest Name in the Fandom" to "who is best fan" quicker than I expected.

Anyhow, aside from the obligatory TTV guiz (aside from myself) that I do see mentioned, I have seen DV mentioned around ( :( ), Black Six as well, and SPIRIT. I'm aware a guy on Youtube name iBionicle is fairly well known, however he is inactive. Kelly, of course, is also a big name, although people don't know his history as well. I also known VBBN is well known and recognized by Lego, and he's active. All in all, I don't see a whole lot of BZP people mentioned.

sig.png

Edited by Eljay: Toa of Mangosteen
  • Upvote 1

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Don't know if this really counts, since it's more a contributor to the Bionicle fandom who impacted me back in the day...but I want to give a shout-out to Hurdy on the Library side of things, as well as Takuta-Nui. Fantastic writers both.

Furthermore, Schizo Kaita, Toa of Art, and Natha all deserve major, major kudos for their ancient exploits.

JRRT

It's really difficult for me to say. The BIONICLE community is not as concentrated as it once was. It used to be that it was mainly concentrated on BZPower and other BIONICLE and LEGO forums, but now with social media like Flickr, Facebook, etcetera it's a lot more widespread.

I can't argue with any of the people on your list. But the list of BIONICLE fans who I hold in high regard is much larger. Perhaps it's partly the social difficulties I have as a result of my Asperger's Syndrome, but I rarely take notice of what fans other people know or hold in high esteem. I'm more interested in making my own assessment of how interesting other people are, and not analyzing their reputation or celebrity status.

JANGBRICKS from YouTube (Formerly LEGOJANG) is one of those names that seems to be really well-known, since I see him and his creations mentioned fairly often even on sites where he's not active. But at the same time, being well-known is not the same as being well-liked. The YouTube LEGO community tends to have a lot of negative energy surrounding it (part of the reason I'm not active in that community), so it's no surprise that sometimes his name is not brought up in the most positive context. Part of this might just be petty jealousy, as a lot of the negative comments I see about LEGO fans from YouTube convey the general message that such fans are attention-seekers who don't deserve the attention and publicity that their blogs and YouTube channels afford them. I personally feel he's a good builder, a great reviewer, and an OK guy, though some of his older MOCs definitely leave a lot to be desired (of course, that could be said of most people's early MOCs, including my own).

Pate-Keetongu from Brickshelf and Flickr (who goes by pig on Eurobricks, and I forget what usernames he has on other sites) is also a name that carries a lot of recognition and prestige. His MOCs have a distinctive style that is often referred to when similarly-styled MOCs crop up. He helped inspire at least one of my own MOCs.

55555 (Five X Five on Flickr) is an excellent MOCist, with many stuff that rival's Retinence's stuff in elaborateness. But to be honest I always forget which sites he's active on, and I don't see his name come up in a lot of BIONICLE or Hero Factory related conversations. His portfolio of creations isn't BIONICLE-specific, either.

Let's not forget the fantastic NorbyZERO, who makes lots of large and brilliant BIONICLE and Hero Factory creations. I feel like at cons he definitely has a lot of star power, though I don't know how involved he is in the online BIONICLE community.

As far as artists are concerned... none of the old guard is as active when it comes to BIONICLE art as they used to be. Lady Kopaka has always been one of the BIONICLE artists I admire, and I'm honored to call her a friend. Other BIONICLE artists I've always admired include Vezok's Friend, Nikira, Brave Dragon, Jiayi, ToM Dracone, Schizo Kaita, Data2048, and Turakii #1 Lavasurfer. Some of these folks are still active within the LEGO community in some capacity, and all are still artists last I checked (I'm following most of them on deviantART), but few produce BIONICLE art like they used to. ToM Dracone is the main exception, still chugging away after all these years. Jiayi and her brother Karzahnii have made quite a name for themselves in the brony community, though!

CrunchbiteNuva is one of the big artists who I did not know back in the olden days, but who has made a real name for himself as a BIONICLE artist. I forget exactly how he placed in the Battlescapes contest, but he was definitely one of the frontrunners. He's active here, on deviantART, and on the BZPower Facebook group, probably among other places.

As for fans with web-related achievements? Bioran was a big name for a while, as the owner of KanohiJournal, The Ninjago Wiki, and The Chima Wiki. But a lot of those projects have nosedived and I don't know when some of them might be coming back. I haven't really spoken with him lately because he's really busy with college, and I'm really bad at keeping up with my friends.

My younger brother Meiko is way more well-known than he has any business being. :P He is staff on scores of websites including BioMediaProject, Brickimedia, The Ninjago Wiki, The Chima Wiki, and even Brickset. But his interest in BIONICLE seems to have eroded long before he rose to power on these sites. These days he only ever mentions BIONICLE to me sarcastically or disparagingly. Even Hero Factory doesn't seem to have interested him at all in the past couple years. I never really see his name crop up in a lot of conversations on the sites I use, but apparently he has quite a reputation in a number of the communities where he tends to be more active.

I think I'm well-known and hope I'm well-liked, but I'm not really qualified to speak on that. I do know that I have a reputation that precedes me and see my name brought up in discussion frequently on sites like Brickset and Eurobricks, but usually in reference to my ridiculous knowledge of the LEGO color palette and almost never in reference to my involvement in the BIONICLE or Hero Factory communities, or my creative efforts in general. Some of my MOCs and art have been showcased on hate blogs on Tumblr, but never on any blog focused on GOOD art or MOCs as far as I know.

That's all I can think about at the moment. I hope there's some consensus on some of these names so that the time I put into this list doesn't go to waste.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

It's been a while for me (in terms of being active and paying attention to Bionicle land), but I do feel like Lady K would be a contender, along with GaliGee and Turakii. I still remember all of LK's art threads that blew me away when I was much younger (her art still does, as does the art of many people here in the past/present!) and the stories from both of them were huge in terms of me continuing to actually pay attention to the Bionicle world (along with others... but it's been quite a few years and I can't recall display names particularly well x.x).

There were quite a few people entrenched in the Library forums who... I really wish I could remember, as they wrote things that I adored and were also quite popular and well-known in general while they were active.

Otherwise a lot of the names already mentioned (ToM, Schizo, Rayg, DeeVee, was Cajun mentioned? Or am I mixing up the other staff MOCist who I think has a job related to that... ? And manyyyy others)

I also wanna say Tolkien on the basis of that really amazing huge matoran dictionary.

(There's other names out there... but I seriously suck with names, so I can't remember, but... if I did this list would be... prolly a lot longer x.x)

• Upvote 1

This went from "The Biggest Name in the Fandom" to "who is best fan" quicker than I expected.

I think the questions are rather similar, or at least very relevant to each other. Below is a quote from Black Six's original post. He does ask for "the most dedicated fans," though there are other traits to take into consideration as well.

Not just the best builders, but the most dedicated fans - those who are known throughout the community for different things, maybe their stories, artwork, videos, websites they run, etc.

Also, though I mentioned all staff are dedicated big names, I think Velox could also be mentioned specifically by name, since I think he has been active in several creative mediums.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Thinking way back, Toa of Art, GaliGee, Nova Nuhvok, and Rahi Zaku come to my mind.

On the other hand, I'm probably too obscure here, which is amusing because I almost didn't become a BS01 moderator because I didn't have a BZP account (I confused premiere membership with regular membership).

Edited by KZN02

The Master of Tediosness

Honestly, I think all the staff of BZP are pretty dedicated fans; that's sorta how they became staff in the first place, by being active people in the community. You can't go wrong picking any of them, though I would like to highly second the nominations for boneseiii, ToM, and Hahli Husky.

Being on the BZP staff doesn't necessarily make someone big in the BIONICLE community. It might make them more prominent in the BZP community, but there's more to the BIONICLE community than just BZP.

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg