Biggest Names in the Bionicle Fandom

Black Six

The other posters have made a pretty complete list already, but I would like to add Togariku. He wrote a comedy called "My Life with the Bionicles" that was really popular for a while there and is still remembered among some of the older Comedies writers. He was probably one of the more popular Comedies writers for a while there.

Unfortunately, he never finished the comedy (which was probably lost in the Dataclysm, unless someone saved it off-BZP before that happened), nor is he active on BZP anymore. No idea what he's up to nowadays or whether he's even still interested in Bionicle.

-TNTOS-

• Upvote 3

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Lots of great names here, yep...

Glad to see even the YouTube community was mentioned. I can't say I'm even remotely involved there nor know much of the opinions on that community, but just recognizing the name Jang probably means something.

Ray's name has always been synonymous with sprites in my experience. Even if they aren't BIONICLE, I've shown his Halo sprites to friends at college and some have even recognized them.

There's been a plethora of builders mentioned already, but that speaks strongly to the great talent in the community. I can't think of any to add to that list but would definitely agree that all those mentioned are some pretty big names.

Those story guys - Swert, Bonesiii, SPIRIT - cool guys, huh?

That all speaks nothing to people known just for their mere presence though. So many have just the perfect amount of personality to stand out and be known (and I mean that in a good way), like Makaru or Princess Grr.

All some great names indeed...

*insert ponderings of self worth within the community here*

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk
  • Upvote 2

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

CrunchbiteNuva is one of the big artists who I did not know back in the olden days, but who has made a real name for himself as a BIONICLE artist. I forget exactly how he placed in the Battlescapes contest, but he was definitely one of the frontrunners. He's active here, on deviantART, and on the BZPower Facebook group, probably among other places.

Yeah...the paper masks guy! :) Although admittedly he's done a whole lot more than that, and his artistic achievements are certainly commendable.

And I remember way back when ET was a name in the S&T forum - or was it just in all those polls? Probably both. He might be more popular on BZP, though, than for any Bionicle strides. But I used to remember Electric Turahk and Erebus in the same breath, so yeah.

Folks have really covered all the BZP bases, it looks like - Kelly and Andrew's adminning, DV's MOCs, Dracone, Crunchbite, and Lady K's art, Lady K and GaliGee's fics, T-Hybrid's sky-high post count... the list goes on, and has been thoroughly established above. :P And then there's Swert and the other leaders of BS01, those who've contributed to the storyline, and so on.

Off-site, I can't speak as much for the greater Lego/Bionicle community, but to give a localized part of the fandom - on Tumblr, folks like that-1-cactus have churned out all sorts of interesting takes on Bionicle design. (Disclaimer: said blog is pretty PG-13; it is Tumblr, after all.)

Aanchir also mentioned Jiayi, who put together some really nice art during a period where Bionicle hadn't really taken off on Tumblr, and creative output in the fandom seemed to be stagnating in general. (Though she doesn't seem to do much art for it now.)

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

well my name is 21 characters long so that's pretty big

but honestly i havent been around the block recently since my departure in this fandom years ago and even then i only really focused on the comic side. that said, some of the big names for me were people like spitty, dokuma, metrukuta, exo m7, and cee-estee among other

honorable mention to octodad

• Upvote 1

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Some names that come to mind are xccj, Dark709 and bonesii.

Also, surprised no one has mentioned the Chilli God. He was pretty big back in the day with his comics The Rise and Fall of the Toa. They remained popular for six years or something, starting from 2003, until he vanished.

Bionicle is lucky to have such a talented community.

Apart from those on the original list, I think you ought to add Bonesii, who's basically the keeper to the well of Bionicle knowledge, and ToM Dracone and Takianuvia, with their highly impressive Bionicle fan art.

• Upvote 1

Another being I forgot about: Legomation Studio. He's famous for "Bionicle: The Original Saga" - basically all the MNOG + Bohrok Animations run together - and a boatload of Bionicle set reviews (all on YouTube). He was going to do a documentary at one point, but I think he abandoned it. :shrugs: (Also this silly Bionicle quiz with all these funny answers...anyway, point is that he's famous in some circles.)

• Upvote 1

Another being I forgot about: Legomation Studio. He's famous for "Bionicle: The Original Saga" - basically all the MNOG + Bohrok Animations run together - and a boatload of Bionicle set reviews (all on YouTube). He was going to do a documentary at one point, but I think he abandoned it. :shrugs: (Also this silly Bionicle quiz with all these funny answers...anyway, point is that he's famous in some circles.)

Legomation Studio did end up putting together a documentary of the direction of the storyline and it's individual cancellation, here:

They've certainly given the Bionicle community a lot of publicity recently, and I know Zach Kaplan, one of the producers, personally. Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 2

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Legomation Studio did end up putting together a documentary of the direction of the storyline and it's individual cancellation, here:

They've certainly given the Bionicle community a lot of publicity recently, and I know Zach Kaplan, one of the producers, personally.

From my knowledge, he was planning something more extensive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gKlNtGcUc

Also, there's trailers and stuff still out there: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=legomationstudio%20bionicle%20documentary%20&sm=1 - clearly trailers for stuff that never came.

Edited by fishers64

Wow. This is a pretty big question.

The main big names on my list are the BZP admins, for their dedication to the site, and Bionicle island (founder of Kanohi-Power.com) for creating one of the first main unofficial Bionicle news sites (unfortunately, he's looong inactive).

The BS01 people, specifically Crystal Matrix, Pekel, Swert, Dorek and Erebus; for making the best Bionicle encyclopedia.

The TTV group is pretty well known for Bionicle fandom.

Also, DeepBrick and RedQuark were dedicated to uncovering the lost LOMN game, so they're here also.

The Bionicle fanfic writers, including TNTOS, Steelsheen, GaliGee, Bonesiii, and Angel Bob.

The Bionice Storyline people, specifically bonesiii (also a fanfic writer). I'm pretty sure it's missing the point if I say GregF, but he is a BZP - a fan site - member, and one of the biggest contributors to the Bionicle storyline.

This went from "The Biggest Name in the Fandom" to "who is best fan" quicker than I expected.

Anyhow, aside from the obligatory TTV guiz (aside from myself) that I do see mentioned, I have seen DV mentioned around ( :( ), Black Six as well, and SPIRIT. I'm aware a guy on Youtube name iBionicle is fairly well known, however he is inactive. Kelly, of course, is also a big name, although people don't know his history as well. I also known VBBN is well known and recognized by Lego, and he's active. All in all, I don't see a whole lot of BZP people mentioned.

sig.png

iBionicle was an amazing YouTuber and a big part of Bionicle fandon, if you ask me. His stop motion was fantastic, as well as his MoCs.

If I think of more names, I will add them.

Edited by Underscore
  • Upvote 2

2xu8Ptu.png

They've certainly given the Bionicle community a lot of publicity recently, and I know Zach Kaplan, one of the producers, personally.

From my knowledge, he was planning something more extensive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gKlNtGcUc

Also, there's trailers and stuff still out there: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=legomationstudio%20bionicle%20documentary%20&sm=1 - clearly trailers for stuff that never came.

It's unfortunate that it was never finished, but according to that update video, he had already finished 51 minutes of the planned two to two and a half hours; almost half of his planned total. He seems to have put a massive amount of effort into it, at least, and for all we know he could have simply put progress on the documentary on hiatus, because he appears to have had finished a lot of it to abandon the task completely. Now that I know about this, I might contact him to ask if he'd ever release what he had finished.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

It's unfortunate that it was never finished, but based on that update video, he had already finished 51 minutes of the planned two to two and a half hours; almost half of his planned total. He seems to have put a massive amount of effort into it, at least, and for all we know he could have simply put progress on the documentary on hiatus, because he appears to have had finished a lot of it to abandon the task completely. Now that I know about this, I might contact him to ask if he'd ever release what he had finished.

True enough. I haven't checked his more recent update videos though - but given all the other stuff that's gone on, I kinda assumed that he had moved on to other projects. :shrugs:

I would have liked to have seen it, even if it was just the incomplete first part. From the trailer, it sounded really cool.

• Upvote 1

This went from "The Biggest Name in the Fandom" to "who is best fan" quicker than I expected.

I think the questions are rather similar, or at least very relevant to each other. Below is a quote from Black Six's original post. He does ask for "the most dedicated fans," though there are other traits to take into consideration as well.

Not just the best builders, but the most dedicated fans - those who are known throughout the community for different things, maybe their stories, artwork, videos, websites they run, etc.

Dedicated because they did something which caused them to be seen as dedicated and seen throughout the community, yeah. However, I've scrolled through this topic, and it seems that everyone is just giving other BZP members a grand 'ol pat on the back for... Doing things the BZP community widely knows of. I've never heard of a good majority of the people mentioned in this topic outside of BZPower. Bonesiii, sure. Black Six and DV? Absolutely. Rayg, Dark709? Definitely. Any other staff member sans SPIRIT?... Nope.

BZPower used to be the bees knees. Granted, I may not be out in the community enough, so maybe they are talked about and I'm just oblivious to it.

I can think of a few other big names, such as Vrahno, who is quite well known. Maphrox is also out there, I know. They're both really great animators.

sig.png

• Upvote 3

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Also, surprised no one has mentioned the Chilli God. He was pretty big back in the day with his comics The Rise and Fall of the Toa. They remained popular for six years or something, starting from 2003, until he vanished.

Aw man I still remember the day he started using my sprites for his comic. That was great.

How has nobody mentioned Razor anyway?

Edited by InnerRayg
  • Upvote 3

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Aw man I still remember the day he started using my sprites for his comic. That was great.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Moutekea or Danska for the same reasons, sprites that people used quite a bit.

I'd probably toss the names up that everybody else already threw out, but if I had to escalate any name up higher for dedicated fandom, I can't look further than Six. He kept this place up longer than Bionicle itself lasted, and that's from sheer dedication to the brand. That deserves its own recognition.

I'd also have to name some people, some surprising from me for reasons I'm sure. Lady K, Rayg, Turakii, SPIRIT (all four of them have canonized stories in Bionicle), Toa Lhikan Hordika, DV, Brickthing, Roa, GaliGee, Erebus, the entire TTV crew, Kraahlix (he started the BS01 podcast). There's probably many more I could name, but these are the ones I could recognize for Bionicle once you mentioned them.

Edited by Swert
  • Upvote 1

bzpsig2015.png

I don't think I've seen tohkann mentioned yet. He was that cool guy that had that fan made bionicle anime a couple years back. The guys from BNG and BQotT haven't done anything in a while but they were great a couple years back!

As for today, I see nickonaquamagna with some good art, and not to self advertise (well maybe a little :P) but nuparu77 and I have worked pretty hard the last year on our MNOG sequel :P

• Upvote 1

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Moutekea or Danska for the same reasons, sprites that people used quite a bit.

I'd probably toss the names up that everybody else already threw out, but if I had to escalate any name up higher for dedicated fandom, I can't look further than Six. He kept this place up longer than Bionicle itself lasted, and that's from sheer dedication to the brand. That deserves its own recognition.

I'd also have to name some people, some surprising from me for reasons I'm sure. Lady K, Rayg, Turakii, SPIRIT (all four of them have canonized stories in Bionicle), Toa Lhikan Hordika, DV, Brickthing, Roa, GaliGee, Erebus, the entire TTV crew, Kraahlix (he started the BS01 podcast). There's probably many more I could name, but these are the ones I could recognize for Bionicle once you mentioned them.

Wow what I literally have no memory of that story. This is incredible.

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

I feel like Heir of the Chronicler and some others I don't know by name are very important for their uploads of old media to YouTube. It goes unsung, but it goes a long way in keeping Bionicle available to old fans.

(feels good to be able to reference youtube)

Also, I'm throwing in another vote for Toa of Art. That guy was a powerhouse back in the day, and I remember how excited we all were when he showed up in 2006 with a drawing of Matoro. I wonder what he's up to these days.

EDIT: Oh, and how about Jinzo? I'm surprised I've only seen one mention of him in here. Don't people remember Riotfleas? Everyone was making those for a while.

Edited by Wrinkledlion X
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

On BZP, I could probably list the admins and the most active of the staff. People I have spoken to personally come to mind when I think of BZP as well. Still, thinking about the fandom as a whole, I believe the ones involved with fantastic MOCs, art, animation etc. will be recognizable to more fans. At the moment I actually drawing a blank, but everyone above me have already said many names I instantly recognize, so thanks to you for saving me the trouble. :P

Since I saw this topic and have an opportunity to do it, I just want to say thank you for making that sprite kit of yours. :) While I've made a few sprites in the same style to supplement it, I can safely say that without the kit proper I would currently not have a game in progress at all. I made my initial attempt at a BIONICLE fan-game several years back, when I "only" had Rayg Kit 2.0 to work with. I failed to make anything truly worthwhile due to a lack of programming knowledge. When I found the 2.5 version of the kit and saw all that wonderful new shading on it, I just had to re-do the project with those sprites.

Most of the names would already be repeating what has been said, I will add Danska to the list. IMO he was another major name in the kit community, his Bionicle Builder kit was one of the most detailed and extensive that I had seen. I spend hours upon days recoloring that kit (and actually now I want to go back and remake all of the characters again) I'm glad he was able to save it and repost it before the archives were gone, but it's a shame the kit itself came to an end.

Also, I always thought bigfatslob on Brickshelf (and he used to post on EB back in the day) was a pretty well known MOCist at the time, he had some really fantastic applications of obscure parts such as Galidor and the pods from Xpod sets in his creations. (And they were also quite large MOCs which is memorable within itself). I'm not sure if that really puts him in as a major name in the actual Bionicle fandom, but MOC wise he is one of those people who created MOCs that you would instantly recognize as being his, it was a big name from my personal memories.

Edited by VBBN

Pate-Keetongu from Flickr and Eurobricks is a very talented mocist and my good friend. I am sure some of you have seen his mocs. He is one of our last mocist from our Finnish Bionicle community and has made mocs of most of our fanfic projects characters. I think that he is one of the most talented Bionicle mocists.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kumipallomaa/with/13432607704/ His flickr if you haven't seen his works jet.

Brace yourselves, Klaanon is coming...

Can't say I have many friends in this "fandom" so nobody that I would explicitly think to name. I'd say I'm pretty well known to myself. Yeah, that'll do.

I think I'm the same. Although at the same time I could name a lot because there aren't very many of us now

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!