RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC:

Alerted by the intercoms, Rehn jumped up and immediately headed to the engine room. If there was something he could find on the ship, it was there. It was the only place he'd been shown to anyway. That, and the smell made it easier to find. Rehn silently entered the room, hoping to avoid his boss for the time being. He had only seen him once before, but he looked like a grumpy, irritated old man, and Rehn currently wanted to avoid any negative attention.

IC: Estelle

Major Walker shook her head. "Not yet. But whatever this is, we will have to be ready for it." She replied Ashley as she walked into the hanger, their fighters sitting there in all their glory. The falcon was closest to the door as Estelle fully planned on being the first out and the last back in, like any good leader would.

IC:

"Well, folks, try not to die."

Daniels commented, already halfway to the door when the announcement ended. He didn't bother waiting for a response, already moving down the hall as quickly as possible. When the Colonel's voice resounded in his ear, he switched on his microphone without pausing, rounding the corner on his path. "Already on my way, Colonel. Be there in three minutes, tops."

Reaching the end of the hallway, he grabbed the sides of the ladder, taking a step down. In the interests of speed, he descended a few rungs at a time, controlling his speed with the handholds. Needless to say most of the upper echelon in the Space Force took great pains to dissuade people from doing this, but no one really listened, least of all William. When speed was of the essence, it was the quickest way. His boots hit the deck with a mild clang, and he pivoted on the spot, moving further down the hall. Truthfully, the dining hall was the worst place he could have been when the alert hit. On the opposite end of the ship, and a deck up, crossing the distance was a pain. But extensive practice, mandated by Space Force regulation, went into making sure that key staff could reach their posts in less than five minutes no matter where on the ship they were.

And so it was that Major Daniels reached the cockpit well within his time estimate, sliding into his chair. The controls before him were complex and varied, and to many people, they would have simply looked like gibberish; But to Daniels they were as familiar as can be. He flipped a few switches with the speed and precision born of a habit that had become second nature, the displays before him coming to immediate life. A quick scan of his console granted insight into the status of the Kestrel's weapons. All operable and undamaged, but not yet primed for immediate combat.

"Requesting permission to arm weapons, Colonel." He stated, hands hovering over the controls. "If there are hostiles out there, I'd much rather be fully ready for them."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Arm the repeaters; no need to take too aggressive a stance yet." The Colonel settled down into her own chair, looking at the arm panel, then switched on the view screen. There were cameras all around the Kestrel; one of them should show something. Eventually, she got to something useful; a view on the rear on of the ship, showing a shallow trench in the hull, apparently not having broken through the armor. She inspected it carefully; it was maybe ten meters in length, running diagonally across the back of the ship. It was maybe... two centimeters deep, with strange black etchings on the hull. There was nothing in the armor that'd turn black, so it must have been rub-off from the impact. "Look like any sort of weapon you've ever seen, Major?" She turned her chair as Zahm entered the bridge. "Ah, navigations; open up the sensors, try to get a sweep of the area." She tapped on her chair, the comms opening up. "Walker, get out there with Landes, try to survey the damage. Mind yourselves; if the ship sensors didn't pick this up, I doubt your fighter sensors will either."

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

"Roger that ma'am!" Estelle replied as she pulled on her helmet, making sure her subordinate had hers on as well and was in her fighter before opening the door from the Falcon. Then, with a flick of a few switches and a press of her fingers, the Falcon roared to life.

"Ready, Kitty Cat?"

Edited by Rawrmouse

IC:

"No, ma'am." William replied, looking over the same camera feed, studying the long groove that had been left behind in the hull. All the while, he kept one eye on his controls, keying in the commands to turn off the repeaters' safeties and bring them to combat readiness. "At least, nothing that would collide with us like that did. It's no laser or beam weapon, that wouldn't leave black markings like that, and more than likely, we'd have noticed such an attack."

"I'd say a cheaply made railgun shot, but the collision was too slow and the damage too shallow. They'd need to have either a horrible weapon or a horrible operator inflict that little damage, especially with how slowly we've been moving."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC: "Opening up sensors," Zokander answered, settling into his chair, "Running through the spectrum as we speak."

The pupil-like reticule on his mechanical eye swept the screens in front of him, looking for any electromagnetic discrepancies that would reveal the mysterious obstacle. Another sensor was running for heat. If the object was close enough to hit them it was close enough to radiate heat like a beacon.

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC:

As soon as the alert rang out, Souper sighed. Because this was the exact thing that would cause the slug problems, and now people weren't eating their food. Pushing a single button on the kitchen's outgoing beacon, it declared, "FOOD IS AVAILABLE, AS ALWAYS, ONCE THE ALERT IS DONE. THE CHEF IS WILLING TO ACCOMODATE SPECIES RELATED DIETARY COMPLAINTS ONLY AFTER YOU'VE ACTUALLY EATEN THE FOOD. THAT IS ALL" on the message board outside to the mess hall. Technically xhe noticed another of his kind headed over, but xhe had no reason to discuss ANYTHING with another of his kind right now unless they wanted access to Souper's Kale stash. In which case, Souper would tell them to go to . Or Xibulba, or Hades, or one of the various human . Or Souper's family's personal deific .

Another time, either way, as the door to the kitchen was sealed tight. No boarders were going to get in easily, let alone a friendly face.

IC: J. Taylor

It took Taylor longer to reach his station, in Engineering, than he wanted it to; having to stop by his bunk to grab his rifle before continuing on. He finally reached Engineering, assumed his post and then readied himself for anything he could think of that might happen next.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

IC: Deuce (Landing Bay, Launching)

Before either Ashley or Estelle could leave the landing bay, Deuce's fighter was already soaring out. For him any excuse to fly was a good excuse, and considering the pilot had been sleeping in his fighter when the call went out, getting ready first was exactly a problem. His cat goofy was currently curled inside the large container, while Deuce had his fighter equipped with the two Rapid Firing Lasers. The extra speed, he figured, would probably be more useful for now.

The moment the fighter had entered space, it did a barrel roll. What could he say, Deuce enjoyed performing tricks in space. "So um, Jedi, what exactly am I looking for?" Deuce radioed back to the Colonel.

This should be fun.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

"Colonel, remind me again why you hired a merc that refuses to listen to his commanding officer?" She asked the Colonel icily, the Falcon quickly surpassing the insubordinate merc.

"So where have the complications been coming from, Colonel?"

IC (Ameli)

Ameli, having found the ever-exciting activity of watching the surface of her desk slowly age interrupted by the alert, had launched herself out of her office with her V-45 rifle in hand. Just in case. She suspected the Mantis were trying to sabotage the ship, it was sensible theory really, though it hinged on the Confederacy being naïve and foolish enough to accept Mantis on the mission. She’d have dismissed that particular plot out of hand, if not for the obvious fact Mantis were on board, so the sheer moronic idealism that such a decision would require was less fantasy and more grim reality. As much as she wanted to put a few rounds into the Mantis and be done with it, her place was on the bridge, advising the Colonel.

The V-45 was just insurance. Really. The gasmask more or less went without saying, why everyone else insisted walking around with naked faces was more or less beyond her.

IC (Devas)

Devas had sprang into action the moment the alert had sounded, jamming FTL crystals into their slots and warming the engines. Colonel had said a cold jump might be required, so there wasn’t much time to waste. He’d just shoved the last crystal into place as one of sec boys-Taylor-bursted into the room, rifle in hand. He mentally applauded the lad’s paranoia. It was only sensible to go about armed when the Mantis creatures were on board. “Someone give me a diagonstic on the engines.” He gestured in the vague direction of the control panel. “

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC (Devas)

“Normal levels then. Excellent. Give her some more juice then….push it up to…we’ll say yellow.” Devas made a few adjustments to the wall-mounted panel in front of him. “Keep the reserves on standby for now, if someone starts shooting…” He gestured at Taylor. “I want you to pop your rifle out that door and lay down suppressing fire on the entire corridor. For now, I want you to have a few crystals on standby. Just in case.”
Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

OOC: Basilisk I sure hope you know that I'm part of Security.

Taylor was a bit taken aback by the unorthodox command, "Sir," Taylor replyed, "With all due respect I'm just here to guard you and your sector not shoot like mad, but I will cover the corridor immediately."

OOC: I just got back from a big dinner. Apologies.

Big dinners with my family are kind of.....exhausting.

IC (Devas)

Devas shook his head. "....Right. Well, you can pick up crystals right? Specialization is for the insects." Security fellow wanted to be obstructive, fine. But he needed as many hands as he could get. There were bloody Mantis on the ship, there was even less point in taking chances then normal. Faster everything was prepped, the less of a chance they'd have if they made a move on them

Kenshin Harken

IC: The solid thuds of armored feet rang through the compartment as Kenshin patrolled the area. It would hardly do to have somebody teleporting in and blasting the weapons systems before anybody noticed.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Seven ######, I knew hiring a hotshot fighter pilot was a bad idea." The Colonel pushed her palm furiously into her head, right until the navigation panel started beeping. The view was automatically transmitted to the view screen, an infrared scan showing a large but relatively cold mass floating through space. It was an odd shape, twisted and distorted, but it didn't seem pitted, like an asteroid would be. "Major, follow the heading I'm giving you, get an in-depth scan of the object. I don't like the looks of it. Landes, scan the hull of the ship, where the gouge is."

It was about then that a thought dawned on the Colonel, one that she didn't like at all. Tapping on her chair, the view screen switched back to the gouge, and she zoomed in on it. Those black smears... she couldn't tell, not with the security camera, but it looked suspiciously like... nanobots. Old nanobots, the sort she use to take decades ago, but nanobots all the same.

"Sergeant Harken," she called over her comm, "Prep for a space walk. I need you to take a closer look at the impact. Bring a plasma shotgun."

Edited by -Windrider-

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The little bit of confusion with the Engineer was soon cleared up and Taylor did his best to help out with the crystals. True, it wasn't his official job, but it was his job for the moment, and Taylor went to it like he did any other job that had been asked of him. That is to say, giving it all he had.

IC (Devas)

Devas paused for a moment. “Sorry about that. In the Imperium we have, well, combat engineers.” Devas spoke was he worked, it seemed to help him focus, oddly enough. “Shoot and kick things until they work. That sort of thing. "Gonna have to adjust to the way you Confederates do things I suppose."

IC Vincent

"Okay, so what exactly happened?" Vincent thought to himself. He had realized that if he didn't know what had occured, he couldn't fix anything. So he decided to give the Big Man (okay, Big Woman) a call. Finding a comm station, he spoke "Ma'am, have we figured out what happened yet? Any interior damage, or was it just a scrape?"

IC (Devas)

"Right. Read your file...scavengers right? Probably fit right in with the first Vendarians. Maybe. Can only get so much from old recordings and videos. Weren't kind enough to leave behind a documentary on their culture." Devas was more or less in his element now, the possibility of a firefight breaking out was enough to bring out some facet of his old personality. It was like riding a jet bike he supposed, you never really forgot how.

"Yes ma'am, following your heading now." As she followed the Colonel's orders, she quickly switched her com so Ashley could hear her. "You heard the Colonel, go look at the hull."

Within a few seconds, the Falcon was in front of the object and she quickly started a scan. "Colonel," she said into her com, "I've started scanning the object."

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"That's what we're trying to figure out, spaceman. If you're itching for a repair job, suit up and follow Sergeant Harkins out. He might be able to use your technical expertise." The Colonel shifted her attention to the fighters. "Keep her steady, use a low-energy particle scan; I've got a sneaking suspicion that we don't want to give it a zap." Nanites made sense, but what would a blob of them be doing out here? Proper disposal of these things had been mandated since before FTL. Maybe a ship had suffered an accident out here? Though carrying that sort of nanobot payload... they'd have to proceed with extreme caution.

voidstars.png

Kenshin Harken

IC: "Understood Ma'am, heading out now."

Looks like he had a job to do. First up, a trip to the armory, plasma shotguns were not a part of his normal loadout. The thud of his footsteps became louder as he started running, all but flying through the hallways untill he stopped in front of the armory doors. A quick biometric scan and the doors opened, allowing him to rush in and grab the proper weapon in addition to its ammo before running back out.

Less then a minute later he was standing in front of the nearest airlock running a final check on his suit.

Mag boots working, life support all green, servos good.

At a signal from his suit, the airlock opened up and he stepped through, waiting for it to finish cycling before he could step outside.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC -- Francis

Stations. Those were for people who needed to be told what to do. Francis had no set station; of that he was certain. "Not like we have a psionic amplifier on board to begin with. The best place to begin searching for alien minds is wherever I decide it is most needed."

Francis slid aside as Daniels sprinted past. "Still, if there's a ship out there, it'd be nice to get a visual. Make it easier to determine whether or not it's within range." Francis made his way after the weapons officer at a moderate pace. He rotated his arms a couple times, feeling the weight of his arm blades folded back under a layer of mucus and the sleeves of his long coat. "Besides, if the worst should happen, we don't need our main gunner getting stabbed in the back. Or, if he does, there's likely -- no, there is no one else on this tin can more qualified for taking his place than I am; especially for what he's probably being paid..."

Takuma Nuva

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

IC:

"Kelezaag" Can's voice came in over the Mantis' radio. "I need you in the teleport room." After giving the order, Can went back to what he was doing, which required his full attention; the complex mathematical equations involved in tensor calculus scrolled holographically in front of him, synced precisely to the speed at which he could think; watching the holographic match with one eye, and his readout from the ship's sensors with another, he would be able to compute a teleportation solution in a few seconds, just in case the captain required him on boarding duty.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: Would have been there roughly 12 hours ago, if someone could have confirmed we had one. =P

IC - Kelezaag:

"Right outside the door. Sir," came the response, the 'sir' rather tacked onto the end of it. As soon as the alert had come over the comms, Kelezaag had slipped on her suit and helmet, and skittered off to the teleporter room. Anyone who had witnessed her passing would have remarked a grey blur with a football-shaped bubble for a head, passing by faster than they had thought a living thing could. She now leaped into the room and onto one of the teleport pads. "And, ready to go. Sir."

IC:

"Good. We're waiting for word from the skipper." Can said; his sword was at his hip, glimmering softly, and as he spoke he loaded his revolver with a speed loader of discharged FTL crystal rounds. "Don't get too excited, she hasn't given the ready order. We might not be needed this round."

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC:

At the Colonel's comment about zapping, William's ears perked up and he glanced back over his shoulder at his commanding officer, eyebrows raising slightly. He noted the slug that had followed him out of the corner of his eye, Francis, he believed, but didn't pay the crewmember much mind. Such curiosities were not a concern for the moment. Frowning slightly as he pondered the implications of Ojeda's observation, he turned his attention back to the controls before him. The repeaters were already prepared for combat, but given that he had no other duties at the moment, and with the impending possibility of hostilities, it made sense to ensure that all weapon systems could be prepped quickly.

The central railgun would take the most time to ready. He'd have to disengage the safeties and give it a little time to be loaded and warmed up, but that was to be expected. The repeaters could easily compensate until it was primed. The anti-ship beam weapon could be activated quite quickly, and the anti-fighter turrets would only take a few moments' notice.

In short, he could have all weapon systems at full operational capacity within a few minutes, tops, and most ready within one. The thought was mildly reassuring, especially in the face of the unknown contact currently under investigation. On that same note, he took a moment to tune his comm to the same frequency as the fighters; He'd rather keep tabs on things as well. Doing so cut out the delay in readiness.

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

The scans from both fighters and the Kestrel showed what the Colonel had feared; a combination of low-infrared scanning and passive radiation scanning confirmed with near certainty that it was nanites in their deactivated state. Judging from their black color and the radioactive particles slowly emitting from them, they were very old, dating back at least forty years.

"Daniels, prime the railgun for a slow shot, load it with a crystal explosive. We need to take very, very, careful aim at this. Walker, pull back and set your plasma cannon for high spread. Once the Sergeant has had a good look at it, we can see if burning the collision residue off is an option."

Edited by Strategist Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC: Vincent

"Weren't the ship's shields up?" Vincent wondered. "If something scraped the hull, then they would have had to bypass the shielding system." Vincent put on a standard mechanic's space suit and grabbed a plasma shotgun just in case of an emergency. Oxygen supply active, he picked up his toolbox in one hand and got a pile of scrap tied together by a rope, with another rope tying it to his waist. Just in case emergency repairs were needed. He set his comm channel to open, just in case any new developments came up. Seeing that Harken was currently in the airlock, he waited for the powered armor trooper to depart.

IC:

"Understood."

The Major turned to, quite easily, the largest display readout on his console, flipping the switch to power up the railgun. Not nearly at full power, however; The speed of the projectile depended on how much energy was put into the magnetic field that powered the weapons, and the Colonel had specifically ordered a slow shot. While the gun readied itself to fire, he pressed the button to load an explosive crystal round. Though he couldn't hear it himself, he knew that elsewhere in the ship the satisfying whir and clunk resounded in the air, signifying the ship's obedience of his instructions.

Satisfied that all was as it should be, he turned his attention to the targeting controls, lining the gun's line of fire up with the nanite blob's center.

"Ready, Colonel."

fK5oqYf.jpg

"Roger that ma'am!" She replied as she spun the Falcon around to an appropriate distance and set her phasers to high spread. Major Walker then unclasped the visor of her helm and slid on her aviators before reclasping it.

"Ready when you are Colonel." Yes, with her aviators in place, Estelle was ready for anything.