RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC: Nicole cautiously got to her feet and looked out the cockpit window. The action had dispersed. The only other presence she saw was Andromeda, who lay in a heap on the ground.

"This is Dr. Sarany. I had three companions, two missing a third in the hangar. Status unknown. I'm still in the shuttle, what would you advise me to do?"

IC [slavers]

With the guards disposed of in a relatively short manner, the hunt was on for Captain Geist, but it was to no avail, the Engi had thrown himself out the nearest airlock, apparently preferring to shut his systems off and die quickly than face Confederate execution. Meanwhile, Harken found the systems particularly unresponsive, some sort of shipboard AI meddling with his affairs. The airlocks nearer to the hanger did close, so the air was taking longer to evacuate their region, but it was growing thin all the same. The Ambassador, meanwhile, pulled himself next to the doctor, having tripped when they got into the shuttle. With a prompt keystroke he opened the doors, looking out to see if the Federation rescuers were coming in.

[?]

"Nothing much, just keep an open mind; I'll be around more after this, hopefully when you're in better condition. Think of me as your... guardian, I suppose. I keep you informed, up to date on things, and in exchange you get me where I need to be every so often."

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: Estelle

The flight commander smiled as she had her weapons returned to her. "Let's get this son of a *****." She said flatly, face serious as they began to search for their former.

IC:

Can, of course, had no way to know that the captain had thrown himself out one of the open airlocks. However, his search of the ship, party in tow, started at the bridge, where he headed straight for the environmental controls to see if he could close the airlocks from there.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC (Devas)

“And that….should…do…it.” With a triumphant flourish Devas made the last adjustment to the shield controls, redirecting the last bit of overflow. He wait five seconds. Nothing happened. Five more seconds. Still nothing. It was at this point he delivered a second kick to the shield controls. The various readouts went from orange, red and in one disconcerting instance, black, to solid green across the board. He keyed his comms. “Shields are up.”

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC: Nicole jumped in shock as the Ambassador suddenly appeared next to her, hitting a button. She looked at the man in confusion. "What happened to you?" She asked. "I didn't see you anywhere in the shuttle."

Before he could answer, Nicole shifted her attention toward the crumpled body of Andromeda. He was torn on what to do. She couldn't even tell if Andromeda was dead, unconscious, or something else unique to her species. Since Andromeda was an energy being, Nicole wouldn't be able to operate on her, nor would she be able to drag her into the shuttle to transport her somewhere she could be treated properly.

"What about her?" she asked, motioning towards the body outside. "I also haven't heard from Errogaven, and what about the other slaves? We left an open door, we can't be the only ones who tried to walk out."

IC: Ashley

Well, that sounded fair enough, "Okay..." A sudden feeling of drowsiness swept over her, this had been happening ever since she'd been shot, but it was becoming more and more difficult to stay awake. She hoped the doctor would let her sleep soon.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

Kenshin Harken

IC: As Kenshin tried to delete the AI working it's way around the system he sent a message out over the radio.

"The shuttle is secure for now. However, I would suggest getting back here as soon as possible. There is a hostile program in the system that is preventing me from closing most of the airlocks and the atmosphere is still draining."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC:
Hearing the message over a radio on one of the soldier's belts, Errogaven gave up the search and turned around. He ran to the shuttle and entered it, nodding to the armored man standing outside. "No worries, I'm here now," he said jokingly.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

IC [?]

The agent looked to his side, then back at the pilot, smiling. "It's alright Ashley, you can go to sleep now, everything's done. It appears the doctor has patched you up enough for you not to go into shock and, well, you have me here now. I'll make sure you're fine, mentally. Focus on your breathing. Take deep breaths. Let it all fade."

[Ojeda]

Shortly after being given a substantial dose of nanites by the doctor, the Colonel awakened, gritting her teeth as the nanites worked on sealing the wound and keeping her arteries in check. Unable to move much at all, she turned her head to the side to look at the assembled, noticing no one of particular rank, so she verbally opened the comms. "Comm, Chastain." A beeping informed her the comm was blocked. "Comm, Daniels. Daniels, tell me what's going on before I pass out again. What's the situation?"

[Environment]

The air continued to evacuate itself, the AI proving to be exceptionally resilient, possibly possessing a spark of intellect from the former captain. It was becoming increasingly clear that the crew needed to evacuate before the entire atmosphere was gone. The Ambassador was punching away at the console, getting the shuttle prepared while he tried to evaluate the situation. "The operative will be fine if this spec ops fellow grabs her, his armor should be rigid enough to get a grip. For now, we need to concern ourselves with getting on-" A flock of slaves had formed at the hanger's entrance, being drawn by all the activity. "Ah. Well, this is going be a crowded trip, isn't it?"

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Kenshin Harken

IC: Most of his attention was on the cyberbattle currently going on unseen in the ship's computers and Harken was only sparing enough attention to his surroundings to make sure nobody snuck up on them. Since it seemed that conventional methods were not going to work, he decided to try an unconventional one. He started putting up firewalls around several of the systems where the AI had no presence, enough to make it look like he was trying to prevent the AI from entering, but not enough to keep it out. Once they were set up, he placed a program in several of them that would erase all the data in that part of the computer if the firewalls were breached. In simple terms, they were traps.

With that done he moved over to Andromeda and picked here up. He winced under his helmet as he looked at the ball of acid floating in here before calling out to the former slaves.

"Come on people. The atmosphere in this place will not last much longer. I suggest you get in the shuttle now if you want to live."

With that he moved back to place the blue Zoltan in the small spacecraft.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Andromeda

While Zoltan woman was unresponsive to Harken, his suit has registered a very weak EM noise on the background.

Nicole might not know how to operate a Zoltan, but she knew for sure: to kill a Zoltan one must dissipate it's body. And Andromeda was whole as far as doctor could tell, so she was pretty much okay, except for that nasty acid blob floating in her body.

Edited by The Mugbearer

IC:

Can quickly assessed his options, then barked a series of orders. "Estelle, Kelezagg, Wulf, Taylor. Beam out." This order was, in fact, to the computer and not to his crewmates. A set of prerecorded teleportation solutions quickly loaded in, and Can's four raiders were beamed back to the Kestrel's teleporter room, leaving Can alone on the slaver ship's bridge. Doing this, he guessed, had doubled his remaining time before asphyxiation took hold, as the rapidly thinning air was now only drawn on by his own body, and he quickly opened a channel to the tele and the engineering section of the Kestrel. "Skinter here. Teleporter, get my extraction solution loaded and ready. Engineering, I need as much power to the teleport room as possible, I want those capacitors charged up." With that, Can started looking for a supply closet, hoping to find an oxygen mask or, ideally, an Emergency Bag.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Kenshin Harken

IC: Harken's voice came over the radio in Can's ear.

"Sir, if you don't get out of there in the next minute or so you are going to be sucking hard vacuum. I can purge the hostile program after we are all safe elsewhere."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Nicole breathed a sigh of relief as she watched a human pick up the body of the Zoltan woman who had saved them, running towards the shuttle and charging through the open door. As soon as Andromeda was placed on the ground Nicole ran over to examine her. "There's some kind of substance in her," Nicole said. "I don't know if it's dangerous or not."

It was then that Nicole looked up and noticed some of the slaves starting to pile into the shuttle. Already it was starting to get tight, but once several men and women from the cell began to step inside it was becoming harder to move. Nicole could only work her way toward the corner near the cockpit. "I'd suggest getting those airlock doors closed and taking us out of here," she said to the ambassador.

IC [Ambassador]

Having ushered the remaining slaves onboard, and Gaven, that left only the man in powered armor and the security officer. Seeing as both were off doing something else, the Ambassador decided to call it close enough and closed the shuttle doors, pulling the vessel up and heading towards the airlock. It didn't quite work as expected, bumping off the seal the first try, but the man did eventually get it into the chamber and out into space. "Too many years since I've flown one of these," he muttered, twisting the stick to begin turning towards the apparently Federate ship.

[Environment]

With Ashley asleep, the strange man was no longer there, and the telepathic buzz the local slugs had felt was gone. Souper, though, who was watching the pilot intently, could passively sense... something in her mind, something foreign that hadn't been there before. It was deep, though, and would need a concentrated session to figure out exactly what it was.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

IC: Nicole breathed a sigh of relief as the she witnessed their exit from the ship. Nonetheless, it began to feel a surprise when she saw her locket floating in front of her. It was only a few seconds later she began to drift off the floor herself. Normally, the occupants would have strapped themselves down, but here there were a lot of people on board and not enough space. The best anyone could do was try to hold onto something. In the distance, Nicole could faintly see another ship through the cockpit window, and they were heading straight towards it. It would not be long, but she still kept herself close to the cockpit, taking what little free space she could find.

OOC: I'm sorry, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me if I find it hard to imagine a shuttle this size having its own centrifugal system by which to generate artificial gravity.

OOC
Erm, we have gravity plates. I think this was discussed earlier. Artificial gravity is produced by somesort of gravity tech.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

OOC

Erm, we have gravity plates. I think this was discussed earlier. Artificial gravity is produced by somesort of gravity tech.

OOC: Gravity plates? It's a bit of an odd method. The only scientifically viable ways I'm aware of are the use of a centrifuge (think something along the lines of the Discovery in 2001: A Space Odyssey) and constant acceleration, neither of which I would expect to be plausible on a craft the size of this shuttle.

OOC:
I'm pretty sure this is one of the places where we stray from realism and use sciency particles, or whatever they were called. Have some imagination.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC

Yeah this is one of the things we ignore in the RPG, like the fact that we have space fighters despite space fighters not really being that brilliant of an idea, or FTL or the fact that we have living beings of pure energy. We follow the rules of physics until we need to modify them a bit to fit into the game.

voidstars.png

OOC

Yeah this is one of the things we ignore in the RPG, like the fact that we have space fighters despite space fighters not really being that brilliant of an idea, or FTL or the fact that we have living beings of pure energy. We follow the rules of physics until we need to modify them a bit to fit into the game.

OOC: Yes, of course. I guess that comes from me being a hard sci-fi writer. Maybe the artificial gravity plates were faulty on that particular shuttle. (Must... resist... urge... to... point out science and nitpick :P ).

IC:

Can, who had found an Emergency Bag in the hall(why weren't there three in every room like on a proper belter ship?) quickly unfolded the large, clear plastic bag, unzipped its airtight zipper, climbed in, and zipped it back up, then pressed the button on the air canister built into it, which quickly pumped it full of stale but breathable air. The strong, thick clear plastic with no sharp corners in its shape was plenty capable of holding a full atmosphere of pressure, which the canister provided, against hard vacuum. Can took a relieving breath, then spoke into his radio again.

"Skinter here. I have at least thirty minutes of air. Get the shuttle going, I'll beam over when the teleporter recharges, then we can get to work on stripping this ship."

OOC: Yes, I did check with Humva about the bag.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

IC: Souper Saladd

While the slug had not been privy to the whole exchange between Ashley and the Agent, the slugperson could still detect something was off. The worst part of this was that out of all of the slugs here, Souper was the worst with being able to control their powers, by far. Nonetheless, detecting and figuring out what was in Ashley's head....well, the chef was confident that they could do that. Breathing in calmly, the slug's antennae began to vibrate lightly, the slug's whole body tensing up as the concentration was built as strongly as it could, given Souper's situation. The disturbance could be a threat to the whole crew, so it was for the best that the slug work on this, as otherwise no one would be able to find out. The other slugs were busy, and no one else here really had the experience with...foreign entities trying to access their mind. The slug was reminded of his time on his home planet...and shuddered. Never again.

Never Again.

The concentration didn't lapse, surprisingly, and as the slug focused harder and harder, they could swear that they were almost there to crack what the heck this was...

IC [?]

The Slug was likely surprised, then, when that crack began to seal itself up, and a psionic barrier erected itself. Go away little slug, a voice emanated out. You're not suppose to be here.

voidstars.png

OOC: Alright, I don't expect much to happen while we're on the shuttle so I guess I'll just have us dock.

IC: Nicole felt a sense of relief as the shuttle came to a landing. She was pulled toward the floor, a sensation which momentarily hurt but did no serious damage. "There must be a problem with the gravity plates," one of the other passengers muttered.

As pressurization took place and the door was opened, Nicole sat by herself as the crowd began to disembark. One by one she saw the other slaves getting off. All she felt was glad to have some space to herself, as she sat crouched near the pilots' seats. She rested her head on the wall, exhausted, and closed her eyes. For the first time since she was assigned to the ambassador, she began to relax.

Glaring at the voice, Souper held the crack open mentally, the slug's mind acting like a foot in the door, I. AM. USED TO PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, HURTING MY COMRADE WITH WHAT IS LIKELY TO BE NONSENSE? said the slug, the damage to it's brain in the past making it so that it's psionics were...very loud.

IC [?]

I wouldn't suggest prying much harder, slug. Our friend can't take too much meddling in her mind, do you want to risk her death? You saw exactly how pleasant that was, all those years ago.

voidstars.png

IC (Karin):

Having just finished working on the Colonel (her being the commander of the mission making her a much higher priority for medical attention) Karin set aside the used medical nanite tube and pulled a new one from a cabinet near the medical tables. She turned to Ashley, who was now asleep (though it was fine at this point), and pressed the tube against her patient's abdomen. Ashley would have felt a slight prick if it were not for her current state as the device pierced her skin and began dispensing the healing nanites to the affected area.

OOC: Bluh but at least I posted.

Maybe I need to try more.

Something.

Edited by Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

THE FACT THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT TROUBLES ME. I WILL BE WATCHING HER. IF YOU HARM HER, WE WILL HAVE THINGS TO TALK ABOUT IN PERSON, HUMAN. Souper said, deducing the foreigness as a human presence. It wasn't a slug, they didn't act like this. They were far too communal to lie about this. Putting their "foot" out of the door, the slug let it shut. For now xhe'd watch over the injured human. Perhaps she'd talk to the slug about it later, perhaps not, but this foreign presence was agitating to say the least.

The bit about knowing Souper's past, however...this was equally troubling. Had to be human government. But WHICH human government? The colonists or Earth's? They were deserter Earth scientists that had done research on the slug, but who would know, really? It was known to the Earth Government by this point...so it had to be them, which was suspicious...

Kenshin Harken

IC: As the shuttle lifted off Harken radioed the Kestral.

"Be advised, the slaver shuttle is returning full of refugees. Be prepared to render aid."

With that done he moved out of the small bay and in to the ship proper. His footsteps, normally clanking and loud were subdued and muffled. The air was almost entirely gone by now and would hardly last another thirty seconds. His suit performed a quick scan for Can's transponder, locating it in the bridge of the ship. By the time Kenshin got there the air would be gone completely. Luckily Can was a belter, he would know how to deal with a loss of pressure better than some of the officers that Harken had worked under in the past.

Breaking in to a run, he made for the slaver ships bridge.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [AI]

Detecting that all members of the crew were dead, the AI shut itself off, deciding that its presence was no longer required. Harken's program finished up and shut the airlocks, sealing it and beginning to pressurize the ship.

OOC

So I'm thinking the game plan here is that we're going do a bit of a timeskip here in a little bit; about four days drifting through space as we tear apart the slaver ship and patch up our own. Once that's done, we'll jump out to a station and drop the folks off, and discuss the newly minted crew members. We're going have about one real world week, though, of getting towards the nearest outpost, so feel free to interact aboard the ship. This is largely because finals are upon a lot of us and we need to have a bit of a breather after all this action.

voidstars.png

OOC

So I'm thinking the game plan here is that we're going do a bit of a timeskip here in a little bit; about four days drifting through space as we tear apart the slaver ship and patch up our own. Once that's done, we'll jump out to a station and drop the folks off, and discuss the newly minted crew members. We're going have about one real world week, though, of getting towards the nearest outpost, so feel free to interact aboard the ship. This is largely because finals are upon a lot of us and we need to have a bit of a breather after all this action.

OOC: I guess that makes sense. I was going to wait for someone to find Nicole while helping the captives but I'm not even sure how many of the crew are actually aboard the Kesler to take care of that. At least out of the player characters, I could start creating some NPCs to take care of the job.

OOC

We have a no NPC-crew rule on the ship; there's plenty of hands to go around, trust me, pretty much everyone is going have Confederate or League field medicine training.

voidstars.png

OOC

We have a no NPC-crew rule on the ship; there's plenty of hands to go around, trust me, pretty much everyone is going have Confederate or League field medicine training.

OOC: Is that a thing?

Darn, that's going to make things hard in the future. I guess that means I can only introduce one other person besides my secondary character. I've often found non-primary characters* are good because they give you someone to play off of when interactions with other players aren't possible. I guess that just means I'll have to get creative whenever Nicole is alone.

There are still all those slaves who were with her in the cell. What if I developed some of them?

* I've heard it both ways, non-primary and non-player character. I personally see it as two different levels, non-primary being characters you control besides your primary character (i.e. a love interest, best friend, or arch-enemy) with non-player characters being people who don't play a part in the overall story (i.e. any random pedestrian you meet walking down the street). I'm kinda rambling here so I'm going to shut up now.

OOC:
Honestly, if you're desperate for interaction, you can use Gaven. I wouldn't mind, and I kinda want some interaction with others myself.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC

Yeah in general if someone else isn't controlling the character it's an NPC and not really going be massively relevant in the future, player-wise anyways, GM-wise things are different. You could interact with the freed slaves I suppose, though honestly I'd prefer player-player interaction over player-themself interaction. There's what, thirty people on this ship now? I'm sure you can find someone.

voidstars.png

OOC

Yeah in general if someone else isn't controlling the character it's an NPC and not really going be massively relevant in the future, player-wise anyways, GM-wise things are different. You could interact with the freed slaves I suppose, though honestly I'd prefer player-player interaction over player-themself interaction. There's what, thirty people on this ship now? I'm sure you can find someone.

OOC: Alright, fair enough.

IC: Nicole woke and looked around nervously. She was now lying on a cot in the hospital, evidently someone had found her and moved her into here. She could see several of the other slaves were present as well. The group was indeed one of great diversity. She could see a few wearing federation uniforms, others possibly civilians. Most of them were human, but she could see a few other species present as well.

She started to groan when she was approached by another woman, slightly older, raven-haired in a federation uniform. "You're awake?" She asked.

"Yeah," Nicole muttered. "I guess you're the doctor here."

The woman smiled, taking a seat on the cot. "No," she said. "I was in the cell, too. The doctor's had her hands full, I'm just a counselor, but at the moment it's the closest thing we have as well."

Nicole started to sit up, grunting weakly. "I think you could use some food," the woman said. "What is your name, by the way?"

"Nicole," she replied. "Nicole Sarany."

The woman smiled. "Tasha Ellesworth. Nice to meet you."

Tasha smiled as she stood up and walked toward the door. The experience itself was something shocking to Nicole. She had not felt such kindness in some time.