RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC:

Zhanar stepped forward, glowing oddly. "Colonel. This complex may have old and unpowered equipment. My electrical abilities might be useful in reactivating old equipment." Zhanar paused. "In addition, I have explored hostile planets before. I believe I could be of use."

Can glanced at Zhanar, giving him a look that wouldn't look out of place captioned in orange comic sans that said "boy wat u doin"

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC: Souper Saladd, the slug that time apparently thought was a soldier.

"Yes, I do indeed have a question for you. Aside from the obvious, 'Does the kitchen need to be manned'?" the slug said, obviously heavily sarcastic in that the tone was dripping with disgust for the ground mission, "Am I to detect thoughts of these....people...so that we know if they are about to ambush us? Or am I to be used as bait? Or perhaps this is all an elaborate ploy to eliminate my cooking and not have to pay me...ah well, it doesn't matter, my actual question is, quite simply, why did you put me on the ground, Colonel?" xhe asked, somewhat annoyed that they were to be actually used for a possible combat situation.

Kenshin Harken

IC: Harken waited until the other two were finished speaking before he stepped forward.

"What is the plan if we need to make a hasty fall back?"

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Point noted; you'll go with group Europa, Mr. Zhanar." The Colonel turned to Souper. "Your psychic abilities are very handy, Mr. Souper. Foreseeing ambushes is just one of the many ways you can be of use on the ground. I suspect these individuals will be traumatized from their time on the ground, you'll be there to give them relief." Then she turned to Harken. "The Kestrel will be four hundred meters away from the facility. If the halftrack isn't present for protection, call in air support and run like it's graduation day at boot camp."

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:

"The Teleporter." Can added. "I can preprogram teleport solutions for all of us and have the computer keep them refreshed. It can handle four bodies, that's a whole fireteam. Or two plus two tagalongs, if we need to evac anyone from the facility."

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC: Souper Saladd, the Grim Cooker

"Relief? I cannot delve into their minds and cure what ails them mentally. That is not how I work. I am NOT careful. The only way I can reach out to other minds safely is if they can speak back to me. Unless you wish me to cook for them" the slug said, shaking their head, "Besides...explain to me what I must be missing, Colonel. I do not like to be wrong about my assumptions" xhe said, watching the colonel carefully. There was something that she was not telling the slug.

Kenshin Harken

IC: Harken nodded to the Colonel before talking to Can.

"We should keep that in reserve for the team that might need it the most."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"The teleporter can be used in an emergency, aye." The Colonel turned to Souper. "I'm not asking you to cure insanity. Your empathy still works, does it not? You can provide some level of comfort. Having you present to avoid ambush is my top reason, however. If there's something lurking down there, I want to know it the moment you do. You can also broadcast updates to the fireteams, if communications go out."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC (Ameli)

"I would suggest routine flybys over the destinations and, if needed, the travel routes of each group. If our communications are somehow disabled it could well be the difference between life and death." Ameli paused for a moment. "Not likely, I admit, but as we said in the academy, better paranoid and stressed then dead and relaxed."

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC: Souper Saladd, Thinker of about it

"Very well. You have determined my usefulness and I will do this. However. For this, I will ask you to do one thing. If I died, make sure the contract is still paid out to my family. Understood?" the slug said, the priorities straight. It didn't matter if they survived. It really didn't. By the end of the day, Souper would find out what was going on here and move on, as they always did when these sorts of situations happened. Looking towards the jungle, Souper couldn't help but feel somewhat nostalgic. It was like home.

IC:

Zhanar spoke up, once Ameli had finished. "What is this planet's name? It's entirely possible I have had business ventures here before."

-Rover

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Our pilots will definitely keep an eye on the ground below. Hate for some alien lizard to make a surprise appearance on us." And again to Souper. "Your contract will be paid by Confederate authorities if we don't return, don't worry." And to Zhanar, "Our charts identify this world as Kepler 1077d. I don't believe it has a proper name."

voidstars.png

IC: Souper Saladd, He Who Is Welcome To the Jungle

"Alright, Colonel. If I may put forward a name, generally we named planets after revered members of our society. Might as well consider continuing that tradition. Perhaps we should name it after one of your great humans? Or do you do that for inane reasons back home? I can never tell" xhe said, shaking their head, "Call it something strong. Xanthus. There is a ruined city on your planet with that name, correct? I think it might fit, here." they said, wondering if their idea would even be considered given the situation.

IC;

Zhanar checked with his hip-mounted computer's holodisplay for a moment, bringing up a small 3d projection of the solar system. "I own a supply cache on a moon of the fifth planet in the system, actually." Zhanar said, then seemingly hastily closed his display when he brought up a file on what he'd kept in that supply cache.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Truly, the Zoltan influence knows no boundaries." The Colonel momentarily passed over Souper, though the slug could probably pick up a focused stream of thoughts from the Colonel, translating to leave it to the scholars to figure out. "What sort of supplies, Mr. Zhanar? Anything we could make use of?"

voidstars.png

IC

Major Walker nodded at Ameli as the Colonel spoke. "Don't worry, if there is anything coming, we'll see it. Plus... Now that I'll actually have some other fighters with me, it'll be much better."

IC: "What is the current planetside time?" Ovechkin asked, stepping forward as he did. "If it is early, the sooner we embark, the better. Additionally, given the technical nature our mission might present, I wish to request a tablet. Our botanical equipment has old hardware, and most non-rock technology is...unwieldy with hands our size, so using another party member's would not end well."

baltimore_ravens.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"We will be landing two hours after dawn; the time schedules have been drawn up for your visor links. We will have approximately seven hours to work before sunset; as for your tablet, there should be an appropriately sized one in storage."

voidstars.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"We're hoping they haven't progressed to that stage of madness yet, dear Mantis."

voidstars.png

IC - Kelezaag:

Ah, yes, wishful thinking. The Mantis briefly wondered how blissful it must have been to be a human.

Oh, well, she thought. There's always a possibility that they could be of some use. Of course, there's also the much-greater possibility that they cause complications.

OOC:

Just so y'all know, I'll be absent over the weekend. Hopefully nothing too imperative occurs during that time; if it does, feel free to do some minor bunnying of Wulf in any way necessary.

IC: [ Wulf Kharon ] - UFS Kestrel / Deck 1 / Hanger

Wulf studied the holographic map carefully, meticulously, filing away the details but not yet offering any comment or reaction of his own; save that, the female Mantis's bloodthirsty little quip did amuse him slightly, to the extent of a faint sardonic smirk twisting the corner of his mouth.

Somewhere back in the wary shadows of his mind, however, the privateer did suddenly wonder if the question had been quite so out-of-place, so entirely irrelevant, as it had seemed to be.

But he didn't say anything.

Edited by Shadowhawk

IC:

"Unlikely, ma'am." Zhanar said. "A failed business venture. I expected the Confederate outpost was the predecessor to a colony, and had intended to establish vacuum industries on that moon. If my agents acted according to procedure, there will be little left."

-Rover

IC - Kelezaag:

"I'm not so concerned with punches as with bullets," retorted Kelezaag. Nonetheless, the botanist's response had put her somewhat at ease, by confirming that they would at least be surveying the life forms before making contact. She had thought it an obvious first step, but when it comes to humans, one can never be sure of what to expect.

IC: "Bullets are what our armor is for. Given how long they have likely been stranded, aim and concentration are likely to be poor. Your concerns are warranted though. Major Daniels, while I yield to your experience, I advise caution. If we can send a scouting drone, that would be preferred before our arrival."

baltimore_ravens.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"We just went over this spaceman, if the halftrack isn't there to haul you back to the ship, you drop everything you don't need and you run like the devil himself is chasing you."

voidstars.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

The meeting had been dismissed, everyone going to collect their gear while the pilots suited up. As the Kestrel began its descent, the three fighters dropped out of the ship, hitting the atmosphere and beginning to bleed speed as the Kestrel entered a trajectory for the landing zone. Within thirty minutes the craft had landed, the Colonel stationed out in the sensor room while everyone loaded into the halftrack. Devas was at the wheel, as usual, and it began its trek towards the facility at a moderate pace.

"Good luck," the Colonel's voice came over the comms. "I'll be in touch, watching the sensors for any movement; Captain Harken's armor will provide signal amplification in the event that something attempts to jam our comms. Search quickly and efficiently and we'll be out of here before sundown."

voidstars.png

IC: Ashley

Ashley hadn't had time to say goodbye to Rehn, so she'd sent a quick mental message before she'd departed. Be safe.

----

Ashley was flew over the landing point of the Kestrel and the half track as she made her rounds for the nth time in her fighter. So far there wasn't anything to report, the skies were clear and the ground far below seemed rather docile. Sensors hadn't picked up anything unusual as of yet.

Ashley thought about using her psionics to scan for mental activity, though she was reluctant to use them after the whole reflecting the laser thing...it was still a bit sore.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Souper Saladd

It smelled terrible on this planet. Then again, every planet that wasn't similar to the jungle that Souper had once called home, called by a different name, in a different time, was terrible smelling. Earth was a weird smell as well. Too much variety. Either way, the mission was more important, and as per their job, Souper began to scan for nearby life forms. If the Colonel was right, xhe'd pick up something sooner or later. Perhaps it was for the best to allow the terrible headache to get worse for now. At least there was kale waiting for them back home on the ship. After all, it helped with the headaches in a way that no human would understand.

IC:

Can had never actually operated in a forest before. But the conditions were familiar enough, and Can approached it how he had urban warfare; while riding in the half track, he was watching the terrain for what might have been an ambush and memorizing landmarks on their path back to the ship. Just in case.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Walker, I'm getting some odd readings from your sensors, location appearing on your HUD now. Looks like a cluster of lifesigns in a clearing, give it a slow flyby and see what's going on."

voidstars.png

IC: [ Wulf Kharon ] - Kepler 1077d / forest / half-track

Wulf worked the action on his assault rifle, triple-checking its operation. Smooth as a Slugperson's lie, and twice as quiet, the gleaming gunmetal slid and locked, slid and locked again.

Behind the shadowed visor of the riot helmet, tawny eyes gleamed against the darker tan of the privateer's scarred facial structures, and the air hissing through the ventilation ducts of the half-track bore the sharp clean primal scent of an ageless forest.

For aeons past and gone, the breath of the wild had stirred the cores of its sentient kin, and here, the man named Kharon felt whole once more. Tech would come and tech would go, and kingdoms rise and fall, but never while life lasted, would the barbarian heartbeat cease to throb in the veins of its own, and he, space pirate extraordinaire of an intergalactic underworld that cankered the very stars, nonetheless felt its fury and its beauty call and echo in his blood.

He was the wolf in the shadows, the silent killer... not a warrior, but simply a predator. No more... no less.

And here, gods willing, he would hunt.

IC:

Can hadn't been in command of such a small group in a while. His last field command, actually, had been in the Sahara, where he had commanded forces ranging from a regiment to half a brigade, as the warzone and shortage of officers dictated. Here, he had three people. One human, one mantis, one slug. Strangely, Can had come to trust Kelezagg; at least where the Mantis weren't concerned, she was obviously loyal enough, and had proven herself in combat.

Wulf, Can had never seen in combat, but to the professional officer, he seemed unusual. Obviously very focused, but possibly too much. He reserved judgement for now.

Souper was a mystery, as most slugs were. Friends with Ashley, that was a plus, and apparently in this for the sake of his-no, its- family. But still a mind reader, which made it dangerous.

Can appreciated the irony of thinking that as he looked upwards, towards Ashley's fighter.

Deciding to stop thinking about it for a moment, Can loaded a box magazine into the shotgun he'd pulled from the armory. When his revolver and sword had been lost on the pirate ship, he'd simply pulled replacements; fancy, personalized equipment was never his style, and he preferred not to get attached to weapons. The shotgun was dual-purpose; he may well need the extra firepower, and it was fairly likely they would have to break the lock on a door.

-Rover

IC [The narrator]

Gazing down at the forest below, Walker could spot some very distinct shapes; large creatures, standing up and peacefully eating the leaves of the trees. From what she could make out, they were some cross between a mammoth and a giraffe, though they seemed relatively docile. Perhaps odder was the ground they stood on; splotches of solid stone could be seen, an unusual thing to say the least in a dense forest. More unusual was the fact that it looked like it was obsidian, with no volcanoes in sight.

IC [The Computer]

"Now arriving the comm station," Dave's voice came on over the speakers. "Major Daniels, you'll find a communications relay under seat five, please plug it in so that I can enter the computer systems of this base."

voidstars.png