RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC:
"Sorry for doubting you and being rude, Ms. Andromeda. Now, on the subject of our escape - if she could open the extremely strong cuffs keeping my arms pinned, I could definitely help break stuff," Errogaven said.

OOC:
I figure normal handcuffs can't hold a Rockman, so they use energy field cuffs, based on shielding technology. Due to the extreme miniaturization, they're extremely unstable.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

OOC

Miniaturized shields don't really work in this universe. He just has supermetal cuffs.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Do those cuffs have any electronics that hold them closed? Or are they locked mechanically?

OOC: I'm not sure if there was ever a solid description, but given they're on an illegal slave ship I'd imagine that the crew would have limited resources so in order to hold onto something like a rockman they probably had to improvise. Someone like Nicole they could have held in a locked cell without too much trouble, but with a rockman some precautions may be necessary.

I guess it would be a question of what is available to them to work with? I mean would they have the means to develop a sophisticated mechanical lock or would they have an easier time just crafting really thick handcuffs. Considering they're even trying to hold a rockman these guys are either not very bright or they have a lot of experience so depending on which way you interpret that could also change things.

Of course, if Rockmen like this are common in this universe, I suppose it's conceivably possible there have been criminals of that particular species, so it stands to reason that cuffs designed to hold them would exist. Such cuffs would probably only be possessed by law enforcement, but there might be other ways they could be obtained.

OOC:
I figured these cuffs had multiple layers of whatever metal is most common, with mechanical locks holding them together, with an electronic lock allowing access to the mechanical lock. Basically, it's a few different cuffs combined into one pair. Short out the electronic lock, and anyone can undo the mechanical locks.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC: Splendid.

IC: Andromeda
"Do I look like a welder drone to you, Rockman?" Andromeda asked harshly but got closer to Errogaven and looked at his cuffs, studying them. There was a few layers of security measures, one of them was an electronic lock. Disabling that one would allow a more crude intervention. "I recommend everyone to stay back for two or more steps. It's for your own safety," she said not looking at anybody and lifting her hand. When the space around her and Errogaven has been cleared, she pressed a button on her collar. The moment she did so she began to emit an soothing bluish light, and everybody around felt tension in the air as if there will be a lightning strike someplace near. Andromeda raised her hands and touched Rockman's cuffs, giving them a good portion of electricity. Any electronics was immediately fried. The discharge however reached out to Errogaven but not for too long - Zoltan woman removed her hands and turned the collar back on. She immediately seized to emanate the light and the feeling of incoming rainstorm disappeared.

IC:
"For your information, Andromeda," Errogaven said as he began looking closer at the cuffs, "I knew there was an electronic aspect to the cuffs, and that's all I was asking about." Errogaven was studying the cuffs closely. The frying of the electronic lock had retracted an access door, allowing access to the other locks in the cuffs, which thankfully needed simple mechanical manipulation. "Now, if someone could be so kind as to open the rest of the locks, we may be that much closer to escape."

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC

Really it should have been a mechanical lock, there's no need for an electronic mechanism, just a bolt of supermetal. I'll let it pass for now because rectonning that would be annoying but for the future, never assume a high-tech solution for when something as mundane works just as well if not better.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:
"From what I can see, these cuffs are ratcheted shut. However, I wasn't able to see what they were doing when they fastened them on me, as I was knocked out. So, I'd say start fiddling with parts, trying to find the release lever. If that doesn't work, then I'll keep thinking," Errogaven instructed Nicole as she began looking at the cuffs' lock.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

IC: Nicole looked down worriedly at the cuffs, unsure what to do. She reached toward one bolt and tried to turn it. It wouldn't move. She reached for another with the same result.

"It's useless," Nicole said. "We'll need a bunch of tools we don't have. Darn it, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic. What was I thinking?"

IC:
Errogaven growled in frustration, before slamming the exposed mechanics of the cuff into his knee repeatedly. This began to bend and dent the mechanics excessively, to the point that the creaking of stressed and bent metal became obvious to all who were near.

OOC:
Given that I couldn't have originally done this, due to the access plate, am I allowed to keep slamming the cuffs into him until they snap in half?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC

You can keep slamming away, they're made of super metal though, same stuff our ship structures are made out of, not going come off, not even with the strength of a Rockman. Best bet is someone wedging an FTL weapon crystal in there and blowing it off.

voidstars.png

OOC:
Probably. Do you think his crystal rifle could possibly shoot it off? Or should I just wait until we get back to the ship?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

OOC

Your rifle shoots Crystal shards, key note being capital crystal, the species. They're just really sharp. FTL crystal explodes. Probably find a guard's weapon sometime soon and shoot it off.

voidstars.png

OOC:
Ah, okay. I just figured that a Crystal weapon would work as almost as well.

IC:
Errogaven soon stopped smashing the cuffs, realizing that all that was doing was making them harder to take apart. He looked up sheepishly before looking expectantly at Andromeda and the ambassador.

"Well, what's our next move?" he asked.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

IC: Andromeda.

"Well, if there was something to blow these cuffs or to melt them," she shrugged, "But frying electric lock is the best kind of help I can offer to you Rockman," she looked at Ambassador. "So what should we do now? I don't think that League ship we've encountered could be of any use since they are giving up their own crewmembers to captain Geiste... However, I can go on a rampage and boil the slaver scum out of their skin if you would like."

For a moment her voice became less calm and friendly and got some note of craziness, but she quickly took the control of herself.

Edited by The Mugbearer

IC:
"I think our first order of business should be exiting this room. Then we can worry about beating up on these slavers and taking this ship. And for the record, Andromeda, my name is Errogaven," Errogaven said before returning to study the cuffs in hope of finding the trigger to open them.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

IC:
"Well, the door's mechanics should be larger than the cuffs, and therefore easier to manipulate. The only problem comes in getting access to the mechanisms," Errogaven said as he looked at the door, trying to find the most likely place for a repair hatch to be.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

IC [Ambassador]

"Hmm. I suppose your energetic state might limit your ability to carry around lockpicks, operative." The Ambassador took his arm and, after steeling himself, gave it a hard smash against the cell wall. A puncture point formed, something sharp sticking from under his skin, and he wrestled it out in a painful fashion, revealing a small canister. He slid it into the door's lock and broke the seal, metallic goo seeping out and quickly dissolving the mechanism, allowing the door to swing open. "Now, with that handled," he said, his blood already hardening around the wound, "how are we getting off of this dreadful ship?"

voidstars.png

IC:
"While I may not have full range of movement," Errogaven said, nodding towards his cuffs, "I can still bash people on the head rather easily. If we can just take a shuttle, or better the bridge, we should be in okay state."

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

IC: Nicole approached the open doorway, a sense of surprise and puzzlement filled her mind as she stared at her one chance at freedom. At that same time, her body felt paralyzed on whether to take it. She turned towards the others.

"Does anyone know their way around here?" She asked.

She nodded as Gaven introduced himself with a polite smile on her energetic lips, then she turned to Ambassador.

"So far as i know, sir, I am no better or worse than a regular human being when it comes to carrying items," Andromeda said. "Otherwise I would be unable to wear this collar."

She watched as Ambassador performed some kind of trick with his body, extracting a capsule hidden in his flesh.

"Curious," she thought to herself.

Then that woman again joined the conversation with a good question.

"I assume that since I knew where to find you, doctor, I can find my way around this ship easily," she said to Nicole.

IC:
"Andromeda, do you know where they happen to keep their weapons and tools? They took a couple of my things, one of which is almost irreplaceable, and I'd like to get them back," Errogaven said as he walked toward the door.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

"There is no particular place where they hold their personnel equipment," Zoltan woman rocked her head, "However your special item would be in captain Geiste's apartment. I overheard guards talking about his 'little collection of weird gizmos'. Your best chance of finding it lies there."

IC [Ambassador]

"From what I understand, lighter, less dense, objects can fall right through you. If you'd excuse the demonstration," the Ambassador pulled off a small pin from his shirt, tossing it at the Zoltan, and watched as it simply shimmered right through to the other side. "Now, I'd suggest some sort of escape plan, but it appears their shuttle has already left. Perhaps an ambush when it returns?"

[slavers]

By now the shuttle had arrived, finding an open port into the Kestrel's hanger. After sitting briefly in a smaller airlock, designed for shuttles of its size, it passed into the hanger proper, landing and letting it's two occupants armed, both with assault rifles and some form of protective body armor and helmets. The three "volunteers" had already gathered, with Major Daniels alongside them.

"Hmm. Three humans. Not a bad haul, I suppose." One looked to the Major while the other began zip-tying them, eyeing the tall man suspiciously as he put double zip-ties on him. "Who knows, maybe you can fly out and get your higherups to buy them back? League's in a bit of a hard spot but I'm sure they can find the money. Or, well, maybe your girl will be sold to one of them. Be funny."

"Done boss," the other said as he ushered them into the ship. He then slid out a few crates of supplies and tools.

"Good doing business with you. That should be enough to patch up your engines and get you modest repairs at some station." The man backed away, up the shuttle, and promptly shut the door, seemingly expecting a firefight at any moment. When none happened, the shuttle simply took off, passed through the air lock, and began its way back to its own vessel.

OOC
Incidentally, the volunteers for this mission include: Estelle, Wulf, and Spaceman Taylor. Some of them didn't volunteer (sorry JAG) but the game demands movement.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

"Will we have enough space to contain all the slaves?" she waved at all those who was in the slave hold. "Will there be enough fuel to get to the nearest station? We could probably join our forces with that League ship captain Geiste so busy robbing. We can ambush the shuttle and free those League crewmembers and combine our forces to take over this ship. Then we can use it to reach nearest Federation outpost."

Edited by The Mugbearer

IC [Ambassador]

"Doctor, I had a capsule of nanites in my arm. If that's what you mean by 'you had all of that,' then yes, I did. What would you have had me done, break the lock while our guard stood outside? I had faith that the Federation would send an operative to pick us up and so it did. Timing is everything." The Ambassador turned to the Zoltan. "Ah, so that's what the slavers are up to. Somewhat uncivilized, those League soldiers, but they should be willing to help us out. As for the rest of the slaves... priorities, operative. Perhaps the League vessel can transport them elsewhere."

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

"I apologize, Ambassador, I just want to make sure that all lost children of Federation will find their way in the darkness," Andromeda politely bowed to him, "But I remember my mission and as I said I am here to help you."

Edited by The Mugbearer

Zoltan frowned, looking at Nicole.

"I was ordered to contact Ambassador if it's what you mean, doctor. I will see for you, and everybody else's, safety, but Ambassador is my top priority. I hope we clear on that behalf. Now," she looked back at Ambassador, "we shall proceed?"

It seemed that Andromeda should lead the group to the hangar so she picked up the pistol from guard and gave it to Ambassador.

"I hope you don't mind. Follow me."

Andromeda hovered out of the room.