RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC: Deuce (Hanger, Leaving with Kenshin)

Deuce and Kenshin were currently readying themselves to undertake a brand new mission, and a solo op at that. To be honest, Deuce was rather excited, he'd been cramped inside the Kestrel for far too long. Finally though it seemed that he'd be able to undertake the kind of mission he had been hired for in the first place. Namely a supply run.

The plan, as Ojeda explained, was for Deuce and Kenshin to warp to the station located on one of the nearby planets. A small, terrestrial planet known as Lumos, it was for the most part rather dry and barren. However along the equator of the planet was the large Krell Canyon which had quickly became a dominate trading port for many different species and factions. It was one of the more notable trading ports in the galaxy and a perfect hub for gathering more supplies as well as intel. 

The original plan was to have only Kenshin travel to gather the supplies, however when Deuce revealed his prior experience at the hub, Ojeda begrudgingly agreed to allow him to guide Kenshin. Hence here there were, readying up Deuce's ship for an FTL jump. He was using his own warp drive of course, and in order to ensure decent speed and more importantly maximum cargo space, it was equipped only with his two Rapid Firing Lasers, all of the other hardpoints had the capsules attached. While Kenshin would be riding in the rear cargo capsule. Goofy of course would not be joining them on this possibly hazardous mission, instead Billy once more had the job of caretaker.

With the preparations nearly complete, Deuce, revolver at his waist, turned to his partner, "So, ready for this Tinman?"

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Kenshin Harken

IC: "Good to go." the armored form of the soldier replied as he ducked in to the largest cargo container.

"Just try not to take too long getting there. I would rather not suffocate back here."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Deuce (Hanger, Leaving with Kenshin)

Deuce chuckled at Kenshin's comment, "Come on man," Deuce replied as he got ready to jump in the cockpit. "Take look at that air tank." Of course what the freelancer was referring to as the air tank was in fact a cylinder obviously ripped from the back of a space suit. In fact it wasn't even properly integrated as it seemed to be duct taped the wall and similarly fastened to hose running to the ceiling. 

"With just that air tank I was able to jump from one end of the sector to another, while carrying ten passengers to boot. Don't worry, all ten survived." There was a pause, as Deuce began to ready another one of his tales. "You know it's a funny story. There I was, carrying out a routine one of my jobs, namely smuggling some medicine to an Engi crew."

"Figured that it'd be a pretty clean op, nothing messy you know? Of course it didn't stay that way, but when does it? Anyway I found out that the Engi were in fact a ton of slavers, and I didn't exactly take well to the whole ordeal. So I did want any ordinary person would do."

"Freed the slaves, peeved off the leader, renegaded on our deal and escaped the sector. Gave the medicine to the slaves afterwards. Last I heard the slaves were chilling in some galaxy far far away, and the Engi has set up a new business on Lumos."

His story finished, Deuce leaped into the cockpit and started his engine. "Let's go."   

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Kenshin Harken

IC: With a dubious look at the "life support system" that had been set up for him, Kenshin settled down with his back against one of the metal walls of the container.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

With a low rumble that could be felt through the entire fighter the now bulky machine shot out of the hanger. It cruised for several seconds before reaching a safe distance and activated its warp pod, sending the fighter several light years away and reappearing with a flash of light above the dustball that was its destination.

What little orbital flight control in place simply gave them a route to take to a landing place and told them to stay out of trouble. Harken supposed that in a place like this is was better not to ask too many questions.

The landing site given was more or less a large warehouse that had been converted in to hanger for smaller spaceships. Duece's fighter slowly lowered through the opened roof and settled down in an open space along side several other similar looking small craft. With a series of clanks and bangs, Harken opened the pod door and stepped out. His suit filtering the dust from the air and evening out the light extremes, brighter areas were dimmed and the shadows were brightened.

Looking up at Duce as the other crew member clambered from the fighter the armored soldier spoke.

"Alright, you are the expert on the area. What would be the best place to pick up some materials?"

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Deuce (Lumos Warehouse, Leading Kenshin)

"Expert huh?" Deuce chuckled at the thought, he hadn't exactly been called an expert before, "Well I suppose the best place to gather the supplies would be on the street. Vendors here have much better deals than any shop owner does, plus haggling your prices will be much easier with vendors. That said, I have a few contacts who might be able to get as even better deals." 

Setting off, Deuce gestured for Kenshin to follow. "Come on, we're hitting up the local CJC's, us freelancers have a tendency to gather there. We're bound to pick up some information. Oh yeah, and did you have to wear the suit, that's basically screaming I'm military and untrusting. We're definitely going to attract the wrong kind of attention. Ah well."

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Kenshin Harken

IC: "That would probably be because I am military an untrusting. The last time I was in a place like this I got a knife in the back. Still have the scar to prove it as well."

It was not quite as bad as Deuce made it sound. Before the mission Kenshin had gone over his armor and made a few adjustments. Some sandpaper and very light acid removed most of the paint and made the entire suit look older and worn down than normal. That combined with a few welded on 'patches' made the entire thing seem much more run down and used than it was in reality.

Stepping out of the hanger Kenshin gave the street a once over, taking in the flavor of the planet so to speak.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Deuce (CJC, Entering the Establishment)

"And here we are," Deuce gestured as they entered a rather rundown cafe. Well it was a cafe only in name, the place was far closer in appearance to a bar or pub of some sort. Drunk patrons were gambling while yelling at the top of their lungs alongside unscrupulous business deals. The place reeked of filth, and it was obvious the patrons weren't all that high end either. Definitely some of society's lesser citizens, some might even refer to them as another piece of the establishment's filth.

In the left hand corner of the establishment, however, was a different scene. A small table was set aside for a special kind of a patron. As of current only one patron occupied, and she sat blissfully unconcerned with the madness around her. The madness in turn, repaid the favor, as the rowdy patrons appeared fearful of upsetting her meal. Unbeknownst the Kenshin, the reason for this wariness was to the that table being marked only for the elite freelancers, if anyone else attempted to join, simply put, problems would occur.  

"Anyhow Kenshin, keep your head low and follow my lead. If you want a drink just let me know." 

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

IC:

"Lieutenant Harken!"

Recognition in this place was not likely to be good, and it was likely for that reason that the Chief of Security wasted no time in turning to spot the speaker. Not that he was making himself hard to notice; the young man was hurrying in his direction, grinning widely. He was clearly of Asian descent, and his garb, eccentric though it was, indicated military. Not Terran, though. Not Leage or Federation either. The explanation was quick in coming, as he all but skidded to a stop a short distance away.

"Never though you'd be here, pain in the arse to find you these past few weeks, last place I'd expect it! You are Lieutenant Harken, from the Federation ship Kestrel, right? Of course you are, no one else fitting that description would be way out here." The words flew a mile a minute, never slowing down, and the grin never stopping. "Right! Haven't explained anything, I've got a Fed charter, was told to find you lot, have to present it to the Colonel and Flight Commander Walker, make arrangements with them. Don't expect immediate trust of course, you don't know me, I'll probably need to spacewalk to the ship, leave the Artemis outside at fir-

"Yoshirou, stop. Breathe. Slow down. You are speaking at a rate incomprehensible for human ears." The voice emanated from the earpiece in the young man's right ear, carrying an amused, faintly synthesized, tone.

"Right! You're right, of course, Delta, need to slow down, speak slower than I think, explain to these people what's up, why I know them, who I-"

"Yoshi."

"Right, right. I'm good." Clearing his throat, the young man straightened, looking Harken as much in the eye as he could. "Yoshirou Nakahara, pilot from Horizon. Orders to find and report to Major Walker and Colonel Ojeda aboard the UFC Kestrel."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Kenshin Harken- CJC

IC: The security officer had been about to clamp his hand over the babbling mouth in front of him had not the incessant flow of information stopped just then. A glance at the insignia on the young man told Harken that the person in front of him probably was from Horizon. Noticing a few glares or glances being sent their way (It was hard to tell which was which in a place like this) Kenshin gestured towards where Deuce had walked off to.

"Why don't we go somewhere a bit less conspicuous while we talk."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC:

"Right. Probably wise." The young man nodded to himself, smile fading... Barely. "Talking loudly on this planet probably isn't on the list of good idea. Or the list of decent ideas. Not quite on par with trying to ask for directions."

"I told you walking up and saying hello wasn't a good start."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Kenshin Harken- CJC

IC: Doing his best not to stand out even more than he already was Kenshin made his way towards Deuce with Yoshirou in tow. Upon reaching his partner-in-supplies-acquiring he spoke in a voice that tried not to be loud enough for the entire rest of the room to hear but not quiet enough to scream "I'm trying to hide something."

"Is there a table somewhere more out of the way than most?"

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Deuce (CJC, Stuck between a Rockman and a hard place)

From the moment Yoshi had raced up to Kenshin, every warning bell in Deuce's head went off. Mention of military? Check. Overly enthusiastic? Check. Overly intellectual? Check. Overly, ah screw it he's already dead. As Deuce raced his thoughts to come up with some solution, any solution, he could already feel the death glares of every patron turning their way. Not a single one of them wanted a military member to enter this establishment, let alone one this overly idealistic. Corrupt soldiers? Member of the family. Straight arrows? A possible threat. 

At this point my best path would be to dissociate myself from them. Crazy nuts I don't even kn-- ah crud Kenshin is talking to me now. Deuce could only sigh, they were so done for. Meeting up with contacts now would be a pain in the butt now that he was associated with two members of military. Particularly in a neighbourhood like this where businesses were less than reputable. 

As if to emphasize his point, a Rockman suddenly stood up from the bar and approached Deuce. The being towered over the freelancer and was definitely not in a playful mood. "I'd advise you and the others leave here at once. People here don't like such unwanted eyes and ears." True enough a few of the other patrons began echoing his sentiment, forcing Deuce further into his metaphorical corner. 

"Whoa there big guy," Deuce raised his hands in protest, "We just want to grab some drin--" Before Deuce could finish, a slashing noise followed by the Rockman's grunt of pain was heard. As the larger being collapsed, the female Mantis from the corner could be seen behind him, her arm blade coated in fresh blood. The rest of room fell silent in shock of seeing her up and about, no one wanted to disturb her. 

For his part, Deuce could just raise a single hand in greeting. "Hey Mary, long time no see. So--" 

"Shut and follow me." The Mantis interjected, before leading them off to her table in the corner. 

Seriously, why do I keep getting interrupted today. 

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

IC:

For his part, Yoshirou paused for a moment, lingering near the downed Rockman. Given the apparent placement of the blow, it probably wouldn't be anything fatal. Not for certain, at least, though it would keep him out of the equation for quite some time. The smile that had been on his face had shifted slightly, more like a light frown now, as he rifled through his pockets for a moment. When his hand returned, a few patrons scowled, likely expecting him to finish the Rockman off. Instead, he dropped a small roll of bandages onto the floor within the being's reach, and muttered quietly; "Keep pressure, and find a hospital."

"..." The voice in his ear was quiet as he turned, catching up with his newly found compatriots in a swift, long strides, smile slowly inching its way to return. When the voice commented, it was quiet, almost inaudible to anyone else. "Interesting crowd you've fallen in with, Yoshirou."

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

Kenshin Harken- CJC

IC: As Kenshin followed the mantis and Deuce to the only open table in the place he spoke to Yoshirou without looking at him.

"Might want to get rid of the smile for the moment. You are setting the locals off."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: (Deuce, Conversing with an old acquaintance) 

As the ragtag group began to sit down at Mary's table, the atmosphere in the cafe began to return to normal. That's not to say that they weren't still the occasional glare or suspicious glance thrown their way, but a quick look from Mary had most people turning the other way. After a few minutes of just sitting around, Deuce took it upon himself to break the silence. "So um, Mary what brings--" 

"Quiet," the Mantis stated, "before you ramble off your pleasantries, I want to know something. From my understanding didn't you previously voice a dislike for military missions?" 

"Ah yeah," Deuce began, as he thought to himself the absurdity of being interrupted again, "The circumstances here are a bit, well, complicated." 

"Have you been kidnapped? I can kill them for you." The Mantis replied without missing a beat, already one blade was poised and ready. 

"Hold up second," Deuce frantically added, "It's nothing like that. I'm with them willingly, the tinman's name is Kenshin and the crazy guy is Yoshiwhatsit, actually I have no real idea who he is," then addressing his two companions, "Oh and this crazy broad is known as Mary."

Mary's face seemed to exude an obvious displeasure at Deuce's last statement, but for her part she did nothing. 

Edited by Hubert

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Kenshin Harken- CJC

IC: It seemed that blunt would probably go over better here than sweet talking.

"Kenshin Harken, Captain, Federation Special Forces. Thank you for...defusing the situation back there. In the interest of preventing you from trying to spill my organs across the floor I assure you that Deuce is still freelancing. Unless he has other plans, this should be the only mission he does with us."

Turning to look at Yoshirou he continued.

"If you could show me your charter for now it will suffice. I can take a look at your orders later."

Edited by Silvan Haven

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC:

"Not crazy." The Horizon pilot commented idly, seemingly rather unconcerned by the Mantis that had just offered to kill him. Yoshirou had settled into his seat quite easily, hands clasped casually on the table as he surveyed the group around him. When Kenshin addressed him, his head swiveled to look at the officer, nodding amicably. "Of course."

His hand slipped into his jacket, clearly retrieving something from a left-hand interior pocket, and returned with a charter in hand, extended for Kenshin to take and examine. "This was handed to me about three days after your ship set out, along with my orders. The intent was that I would be present at Galaxy's End when your ship made its stop there, at which point I would have boarded. As you are no doubt aware, the visit to that station was cut quite abruptly short, and you were gone before I arrived."

"I've been trying to catch up since. After Galaxy's End, I was instructed to find and meet up with your ship, at which point I would present my charter to the Flight Commander. It's fortuitous that you were here; I was running low on travel options. I had enough fuel left in the FTL booster for maybe one more jump, and no ships willing to take me where I was going."

fK5oqYf.jpg

Kenshin Harken- CJC

IC: Kenshin gave the charter a once over while he listened to the pilot's story. With a satisfied nod he gestured for Yoshirou to put it away.

"Uncharted space is not the most friendly of places. You should be able to jump back with us when we return."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

• 2 months later...

IC:

"Hold the ###### up. We really gonna let this game end before I gay marry the ###### out of Estelle Walker? Nuh uh, ###### that. Ayy! Estelle! Wanna get gay married!?"

-Tyler

Edited by Parks and Rekt

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC (Devas, Ameli)

"Are you sure this thing will work?" Ameli tilted her head slightly, taking the sight of the ramshackle...portal....thing Devas had turned the engine room into.

"Nope! But the uncertainty of ending up in another universe beats fading out of existence."

The secret police inspector nodded. "Well, I can't argue with that logic."

With that, the pair stepped into the green swirling light of hope. Or doom.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:

"We're what's referred to as a 'lightning in a bottle' ship. Our popularity with the fans is too powerful. We were always gonna get married eventually." Sophie Chastain took a knee and smiled toothily. "Shame it had to happen just as we got cancelled. Maybe Netflix will pick us up someday for a continuation. I'll see you again in 25 years."

And Netflix did pick them up someday for a continuation.

Join us next time for RPG: FTL II: OH MY ###### GOD PLEASE TELL ME NOT EVERYONE ATE THE GUMBO AT THE SAME TIME

The End.

Edited by Parks and Rekt
  • Upvote 3

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND