RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC:

Far removed from the action, seated at his currently useless console in the cockpit, Major Daniels had been far removed from the fighting aboard the slave ship. Some might consider that a good thing; Being removed from a situation meant a chance to think it over more clearly, a chance to avoid being the one directly shot at. But now, in his first space engagement in quite some time, he found that he hated it. Being removed from the situation also removed his ability to act, to influence the events in process. Without the sensor room, he couldn't even properly take action from the ship; Aiming a weapon would require manually calculating the firing coordinates, and with a boarding operation in process, such action was not only unwarranted but unwanted. All he could do was silently watch the ship with his own eyes, listen to the comm chatter, and monitor the Kestrel's status, dismal as it was.

Though he allowed himself a moment's satisfaction when the shields stabilized, and Devas reported such over the comms a moment later, his attention remained fixed on the events unfolding, whether he could see them or not, save a verbal acknowledgement tossed the engineer's way. When the shuttle took off again, and the reports began to roll in of the mission's success, he finally sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Until a familiar voice of authority piped up on the comm line, demanding an explanation.

"Well, Colonel," He began, tone as dry as an Earth desert. "We just finished dealing with another set of hostiles. Slavers. Captain was surprisingly polite while he was threatening to shoot us in two. A modern day Trojan horse got a boarding crew over, and they have since eliminated all enemy crew. The ship is intact, so we can salvage parts from it for repairs. Oh, and we also seem to have picked up a few would-be slaves, including two Federation officers. We'll need to see about making some space in the cargo hold for them to bed down in until we drop them off at a station."

"Oh, and our sensor room still doesn't exist, the majority of deck two is still in question, and I have a Vendarian petitioning for disciplinary action for a certain boarding party commander, and I have to admit, I'm mildly tempted to oblige him."

A pause.

"If the coffee maker didn't survive all of this, I may consider putting a bullet in between my eyes, ma'am. But, we have parts for salvage, the ship's still flying, and we haven't had any confirmed crew casualties. Not much, but I'll take what I can get."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

OOC

I'mma pin down the number of slaves before it balloons exponentially and say there were five other slaves, plus Ambassador and co.

IC [Ojeda]

"Coffee maker's in my office, shielded from every form of weaponry out there. It'll survive. Keep the ship flying, go find Chastian and fix her comms. If you'll excuse me..." The line cut out, the Colonel having apparently decided she could go back to sleep now.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: You know Rand, you could interact with the other people in the game instead of creating side characters who will lead to plot holes later on and serve no function that isn't served by an already-present PC. That would probably be a good idea.

IC:

Can, having served in the Planetary Forces for two years out in the Asteroid Belts, had the highest number of spacesuit hours among the officers. In the aftermath of the fight with the slavers,(and after getting a shower and a hot meal) he had volunteered to help uninstall the slaver ship's sensor array. The complex external astrionic panels had to be removed, but they came off with a simple vacuum toolkit, and it was easily a one-man job. Can had, to be honest, missed being in his spacesuit, and the zero-g of the slaver ship's outer skin was a major relief after so long under one-gravity. It was more relaxing than any amount of rest at one-g, easily.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC

So yeah purty much everything of note is done for the slavers so we shall commence a timeskip of four days. What happened during the time can be summed up as this: engineering teams were deployed to scrap every bit of the slaver ship they could; Atton's Doctor was given a commission by the Lt. Colonel; Gaven was brought on as extra muscle for security by the Major, given the rank of E-1; the slaves are being held in a makeshift area in the hanger; and the Vendarians have filed their request with the Colonel. Speaking of the Colonel, the trauma her leg experienced forced an amputation, being too severe for the nanites to fix, and so has had to have that replaced. Just a bit of story development there.

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

Ojeda's office felt a bit cramped, under the circumstances: sitting behind her deck, in front of her sat Chastain, Daniels, and Walker, while to the side sat Harken (thankfully not in his armor), representing the non-commissioned officers. For matters such as this, she felt it was only proper that he had a voice in the matter. The man's experience and rank warranted such.

"Ambassador Lyk informed me that we will not be needing to drop him off at a station; it seems he has knowledge of a nearby Confederate fleet, and has arranged to be dropped off with them, as will the former slaves. Devas informs me that the engines are running at 85% efficiency and that the sensors are... functional. Botany seems to have been completely wiped out, though thankfully our botanist was not. We'll need to recover our supply of flora at another station. Otherwise, though, the ship is intact, and new armor has been temporarily grafted over the engines." The Colonel ignored a twinge that went through her new leg, the nerves apparently trying to reconnect. "A far more concerning matter is upon us, however: the Vendarians have petitioned for the summary execution of Captain Skinter. They claim his negotiations with the slavers and standing in the way of a superior warrants this. Military regulations demand punishment, but execution? Hardly. The Vendarians will cause problems if they are not appeased, so we need to figure out some way to avoid killing our security chief while also avoiding a mutiny. I'd like your thoughts on the situation."

IC [Agent Dorian]

As the command staff discussed ship affairs, Ashley had found herself in her room, alone and resting. That was. until she heard a voice.

"Hello Ashley." Looking over, she'd find Agent Dorian sitting on the opposite bunk. "I see you've made good progress with the stem cell treatment. I'm very glad to see you walking around again; I'm sorry for not talking to you for so long, but these things take some getting use to on my part. Now that you're in a better state of mind, do you have any questions?"

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: Estelle

"Colonel," Estelle spoke clearly as she stepped forward, "I am not sure if we should anger them.... It is very possible they could hinder us... We can't sustain more damages, it is risky. I'm not sure we should execute him."

Edited by Queen Elsa of Arendelle

IC:

"Well, you know--" Lieutenant Colonel Chastain started, subconsciously rubbing the back of her neck and tapping her faulty comm system from time to time.

"Are you about to suggest Cajun justice?" Daniels asked dryly. "Because I don't think the Vendarians will handle Cajun justice well."

"--Well, it's not like it isn't effective." Sophie Chastain leaned back in her chair and bit her thumb pensively. "If they're petitioning us then clearly they're not ready or willing to step up and take off Skinter's head themselves yet. I say we squash it while we can and then watch them. He'll be punished for his actions, yes - but on our terms, not on the refugee's terms. Caving into them won't look good on any of us.."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

OOC: You know Rand, you could interact with the other people in the game instead of creating side characters who will lead to plot holes later on and serve no function that isn't served by an already-present PC. That would probably be a good idea.

OOC: I can indeed. It's just a matter of context and availability. I don't want to interact with someone just for the sake of having a cross-player interaction, it should make sense in the context of the story. If I need to talk to someone I'm not just going to have Nicole wander into the engine room just because there happens to be a player character there.

NPC's don't necessarily create "plot holes". Based on my experience they can help enrich the environment a lot more, not to mention they can be handy whenever an interaction isn't possible (which does happen from time to time). I don't recall ever introducing people who created "plot holes". One or two NPC's that nobody liked, maybe (just ask anyone who was with me in When Universes Collide, where most of my cast was made up of men descended from the participants of famous historical battles, or more easily ask Avmatoran about Snake or Firecracker), but never any incident where it created a full-on "plot hole" that causes is problems in the overall story. I'm sorry, I'm just having some trouble seeing exactly what the problem is with developing a few supporting characters to play off your primary character in addition to interacting with other players.

Okay, I have made my point. Now I will prepare for my argument to inevitably prove futile as everyone insists that I rely on interactions with player characters and NPC's always create too many plot holes. I've never been good at making arguments.

Anyway, I guess now that I'm commissioned Nicole has probably had some time to recover, which presumably means she's working in the hospital now. I guess it's time to write some of her interactions with Karin.

Edited by Atton Rand

OOC
Yes, I think at somepoint in the four day time skip you got your cuffs removed.

voidstars.png

IC:

For the first few moments, Daniels was content to listen to the others speak. While they did, he took the time to take a long, long swallow from his coffee mug. The Major wasn't looking his best, truth be told. He was as alert as ever, but it was fairly clear that he hadn't had much sleep; Hence the coffee. He'd been on his feet for the better part of the first thirty six hours, dealing with one thing or another, and only got a chance to even take a slight breather when Chastain was finally found. Beyond that, he'd only slept when he finally reached the point where his exhaustion passed the point where it would have made his contributions more harmful than helpful. Even then he'd only slept a few hours before rising again.

"With all due respect, Lieutenant," He finally said, balancing his coffee cup on his thigh, and regarding the assembled officers and enlisted crew thoughtfully. "I think the fact that they're not willing to just take his head proves that we've still got a chance to avoid a major conflict. I'm not sure that putting 'squash' and 'Vendarian' together in a plan is wise, either."

"He definitely needs to suffer punitive action. I can't begin to explain how irksome having to deal with him trying to act outside the chain of command during that crisis was, setting aside for a moment the fact that he, apparently, has been keeping an eye on comms that are very much outside of his clearance level." The man paused again, sighing as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"As tempting as it is, we can't just space him. But we definitely need to punish him, and hopefully in a way that can get Devas and Ameli off of our backs. I'm not sure we even have a brig, and I don't think that that'd be very effective anyway."

A few more moments of silence, the Weapons Officer tapping his fingers against his leg in thought. "... Maybe a demotion? Take away his command privileges, make sure he doesn't have them, and promote someone else to his position. We have qualified individuals, we keep his skill set, and we get him well away from the chain of command."

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

OOC: Sorry! I forgot Skinter was Can's last name.

IC: Estelle

"Yes.... Yes I think a demotion is the best." She she said a nod. "We do still need him but, demoting him will get him out of command and should appease the Vendarian."

Can had saved her life once and she couldn't just let him get spaced. She looked over at Will, giving him a thankful smile.

Edited by Queen Elsa of Arendelle

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Demotion to First Lieutenant would definitely sting. Sargent Harken can be commissioned as an officer; I hardly think the military heads back home would quibble over his lack of a diploma. Hopefully Devas stays holed up in his engine room, we'd have a fight on our hands if he wandered out to order Skinter around." The woman rubbed her temples for a moment, then pulled up a panel from the desk, pushing her hand down onto it. "Colonel Pamela Ojeda, security code 45-A9. Begin recording." Turning back to the group, she began again. "All in favor of the demotion of Captain Can Skinter to the rank of First Lieutenant; the commission of Staff Sargent Kenshin Harken to the rank of Captain; and the assignment of Captain Harken to Chief of Security?"

voidstars.png

IC:

"Major William Daniels, voting in favor." William commented, taking another sip of his coffee when he finished speaking. Setting the mug back down, before anyone else spoke, he raised his voice again. "I would also take this moment to formally request that his comm link be investigated, on the grounds that I believe it has been used to listen in on command staff frequencies."

fK5oqYf.jpg

OOC: A lot of this ooc stuff could be said in the discussion chat, that is what it's for. Just Saiyan. :3

IC: Ashley

Ashley had been resting on her bunk, petting her cat when Agent Dorian appeared on the opposite bed. The possibility of the agent merely being the hallucination of drugs quickly vanished. What she was finding somewhat uncomfortable was that he could literally appear at any time he wished for all she knew, there went any guaranteed privacy when she was alone.

Questions. She had a lot of those. But which ones should she ask? "I...I didn't know that humans were capable of telepathy...or doing it from...well wherever you really are." She wanted to know how it was all possible, if he could tell her.

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC:

"And Lieutenant Colonel Sophie Chastain, voting in favor, makes four." Chastain drummed her fingers on her knee for a second before adding, "Seconding the Major's motion for further investigation into Skinter's comm link, as well."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Computer, register the vote and adjust crew records accordingly." The computer chimed, informing them that it had done that. "Begin compilation of First Lt. Skinter's comm activities, past two weeks. Revoke and change all security command codes. In addition, send Spaceman Taylor a memo informing him of his promotion to Spaceman First Class. Boy earned it." The Colonel reclined back. "I believe our discussion is done; I, however, have at least an hour of computerwork to do, so many forms to fill out. Someone find out if one of the freedpersons is a secretary, I need to hire one. Incidentally, since I'm going be so busy with paperwork, Daniels, go inform Devas of the proceedings. Walker, make sure the freedpersons are comfortable and get me a report on the overall status of the crew. I want more than a causality report, I want to know what people are thinking, who we need to watch closer. Chastain, I'd suggest you accompany Daniels; I feel like your unique brand of snark will keep the Vendarians in check."

[Agent Dorian]

"This is true; doesn't mean we can't try. I'm afraid I'm not telepathic, but I have friends who are, friends who are far more gifted than any slug you can find. It is worth noting, though, that right now I am not being telepathically transmitted, it'd simply be too hard to maintain. I'm along for the ride, now; don't worry, you weren't making use of that bit of your brain anyways, I'll be long gone before it starts affecting your memory."

voidstars.png

Kenshin Harken

IC: This was probably the strangest promotion in Kenshin's life. Nonetheless, he could hardly refuse.

"I accept my new position, Colonel. I will do my best not to let you down. If you have no problems with it I will help Major Walker with her task."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [Agent Dorian]

"Well, my body is somewhere out there in the great cosmos, with my mind. Sort of a... duplication, if you will. I do hope we don't run into him, could be awkward, meeting oneself. But I, the consciousness here, have no body. I suppose from a technical standpoint I'm in your body but I don't have access to your motor functions, I'm afraid I'm just a disembodied figment of your higher functions now."

voidstars.png

Kenshin Harken

IC: The new Security Chief stood up and saluted the Colonel before turning to Estelle.

"Indeed, let's go."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Souper Saladd

There it was. That ringing in the slug's mind that told them that the voice in Ashley's cranium was back at it. The one that had threatened the slug, more or less, by bringing up Souper's past. Back before the name change. It was a silly name, sure, but it was exactly what the slug needed to get into society. Humans liked funny names. The slug had worked at a restaurant owned by humans before all of this. Still technically did, although the owner of the place was more than understanding about it. Despite that, however, Souper was more worried about the mental focii in the human female's mind. Having already prepared the day's meals, the slug immediately headed over to Ashley's room and waited outside, waiting for it to dissipate again. Or at the very least, stop causing the ringing in the slug's brain to sound like a thousand slime bells ringing at once.

IC [Agent Dorian]

"No no, I'm a fully aware sapience. I suppose technically yes one part of your higher functions is talking to another part but this happens all the time, it's just I happen to be one personality slotted in next to yours. I'll just be around, ready to help you out when need be. It is worth noting, though, that you belong to a subset of the population that has made this all possible; when your genes were cataloged in Rio, a flag came up in there. No human has yet to experimentally demonstrate natural psionic abilities, yet there seems to be latent genes that would allow for such a thing. This occurs in a half percent of the population; you are in that half percent. Your brain is just naturally more receptive to this sort of thing; combine that with the mental relaxers you were on and we were able to get a great connection. Of course, this also most likely scrambled your thought processes, so anyone who tries poking around is going to get a serious headache out of the affair." The man stopped for an imaginary breath. "Hmm, I seem to be rambling. I haven't quite adjusted to this yet."

voidstars.png

Ashley's ears flicked a bit as she took in the info dump. At least she was getting some answers.

"So...does anyone else on the ship know about...you?" She wondered how far this whole thing went, the military sure was pulling every stop they could to ensure this mission succeed, putting a person inside her head was a new one.

IC [Agent Dorian]

"No, my presence is more... covert. It would also be in the mission's favor if it remained that way. I am here to monitor, guide, and that is best done without many being aware of it."

voidstars.png

IC: Nicole took a seat in the medbay. She had not seen much of Tasha, who was busy looking after the former slaves, but had been commissioned as a member of the Kesler's crew. For her it was hardly an honor, as she recalled the last time being assigned to an important mission was what put her on the slave trader to begin with. Her strength had started to return, though her mental state was hardly improved.

She was now stationed here, in the medbay, helping the only other doctor aboard with what remained of the casualties. Few of the patients had anything serious, aside from malnurishment among the slaves. As she reached into her shirt she pulled out that locket of hers she held so tight, and opened it, staring at the raven-haired young woman in the picture next to her own. She remembered her well, but it also brought back other memories. Specifically, with her now back in a hospital, Nicole began to remember Gaia and the growing pile of casualties she had to face there.

"I see." The whole thing seemed pretty crazy, it was as if she was in one of those spy movies...but in space!

Her cat meowed at her as Ashley idly began to pet her again. "What exactly is our mission?" She wondered out loud, she knew they were delivering something important, and that was about it. Everything about the mission seemed to be a mystery.

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

IC [Agent Dorian]

"To deliver information to the Zoltan homeworlds of course." The man smiled. "Do you not trust your Colonel?"

voidstars.png

IC [Agent Dorian]

"A good question, one to which I honestly do not know. Important information, I presume."

voidstars.png

Ic:

"... You wanted to see me doc..?" Rehn asked in a meek voice, practically quivering as he strode into the medbay.

After the events of the whole "slaver ship an mantis escapade", rehn hadn't really done much. He'd tried to salvage stuff from the engine, as well as the sensor room. But the latter attempt was fruitless, and devas had fussed at him about the engine. So rehn had done his job, and slept in his room when bored.

Until he got the notice that he had an "examination" of some sorts. Now he was practically quaking in his boots.

Ic:

"Oh... I'm rehn. Personal, rehn. Familial, Au. The doc said I had an examination today..." He said, watching the woman carefully. If memory served him correctly, she was one of the ones from the slaver ship. She also seemed to have something... Golden? Rehn didn't know much about gold, but he knew that the tribe leaders always desired things in that hue.

He briefly wondered if she led her own tribe... Before dismissing the idea. She was on a slaver ship after all. Leaders never get taken prisoner.