RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

IC [Agent Dorian]

Ashley did eventually find a door that had a nicely labeled "exit" sign above it, but upon walking through it she found that rather than emerging in the real world, she was now in a grassy (purple) meadow, obviously some sort of alien world, while in the distance a group was jogging along. Dorian stepped up beside her, glancing around himself before raising an eyebrow. "Hmm. Maybe following your instincts wasn't the best of ideas. Rather than popping yourself out, it seems your subconscious is still curious about me. Well, there I am, over there, athletic training for the TIA." Something dawned upon the man as he squinted that direction. "Hrm. If our memories are merging, something really needs to be done to keep our personalities from doing the same, that wouldn't be pleasant for either one of us. Need to get on that at somepoint."

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: Ashley

Ashley listened to Dorian...sorta. She was worried about the whole merging thing, she really didn't want her personality mixed with his in any shape or form.

She decided to go after the group of joggers, maybe there was something significant about this particular memory?

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Nicole stared at the Vendarian, somewhat startled by the remark. It was funny how strange it felt being around different cultures and species. She remembered mostly being around humans from Earth back at the hospital. Even before that she had never seen a Vendarian before and was certainly not prepared for what she would hear in her first meeting with one.

Nervously, Nicole took a deep breath and began to talk. "Alright," she muttered. "You said you inhaled some gasses. Can you give me any specifics on what the gasses were or if you have experienced any noticeable symptoms?"

IC [Agent Dorian]

The Agent followed behind the pilot, the world shifting along until they were once more in the sterile facility, though this time in an office of sorts, with various agents wandering around, discussing things amongst each other. A younger Dorian could be spotted in the distance, talking to a superior. Next to him was a teenage girl, looking around cautiously at the hub of activity. Dorian gave a brief narration; "Funny, that girl. Got her off of Orion Superior after her family had a sudden bout of insanity. Strongest psionic potential we ever saw, got a promotion for my trouble. She's the one that got me in here, do hope she's still fine, the uplink was really stressful for her." The two turned around, the world having shifted to a morgue. "Ah, yes, all those who didn't make the cut." Dozens of dead bodies were laid out before them, some looking harder for the wear than others. "That one over there, that boy, he had so much potential. Would have been so much better if he had survived the treatment."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC [Agent Dorian]

"We need psionic humans; before it was a curiosity, now it is vital for the war effort. We are so close to perfecting a serum to enhance the abilities of latent humans, such as yourself, to untold levels. My entire consciousness was transmitted over fifty light-years of void; that is the power that will allow for instantaneous communication, and gain us a massive logistical advantage over the Mantis. Nevermind the psionic soldiers, who could kill millions of the bugs in seconds. This is the future Ashley, these deaths are not in vain."

voidstars.png

Ashley was silent as she stared at the bodies, till she had to look away when she couldn't stand the sight anymore. "Did they know the risks?" Ashley wanted to war with the Mantis to end just like anyone, but could that really justify this? Dorian's attitude didn't seem to show much regard for their lives other than the loss of potential assets. She didn't want any part of it.

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

IC:
"Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you or anything. Hey, it's not like anything bad would happen though, right? I mean, you're just a slug..." Gaven chuckled slightly before continuing. "Sorry. Say, you think you could tell me what is going on on this ship? Haven't gotten a straight answer yet. I mean, being a bodyguard was boring, but at least I knew what they hey was going on."

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Kenshin Harken

IC: While he had hardly been expecting to be needed this soon after his promotion Harken was not going to let that slow him down. Activating his radio he opened a line to the Colonel.

"Ma'am, you had better get down to the medbay. Souper Saladd just came in here carry an unconscious Ashely and saying something about a psionic attack."

With that done he started moving and talking just loud enough to be heard over the rest of the noise in the room.

"Could everybody not immediately needed or receiving medical attention please exit the room. I think the doctors are going to need some room to think. Spaceman Rehn, you get to have that checkup hang over your head a little longer, the Doctor has a more urgent patient right now."

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Geist had done his best to work alongside the crew members assigned to various salvage and repair tasks, eventually settling into a consistent, if mildly uncomfortable routine. Between the newly freed slaves whom he was actively trying to avoid, in no small part due to the identically named Engi of the slaver variety, and the crew members whom he simply could not figure out ow to interact with, Geist found himself feeling rather out of the loop.

Granted, Geist blamed himself for this. Drifting solo for even the amount of time he had left his conversational abilities rusty, and reading moods and such had never been his strong suit.

All the same, time had passed and Geist found himself wandering the corridors of the Kestrel, somewhat enamored with the currently patchwork materials that made the ship carry on with it's intended course.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

IC [Agent Dorians]

"We aren't barbarians, Ashley, we informed them of the hazards. They were patriots, accepting the risk for the sake of their species. All served their role, and now, we are on the cusp of stabilizing the condition and creating truly psionic humans."

voidstars.png

IC: "Darn it," Nicole muttered as she turned towards the new arrival, along with the announcement. She hastily turned back to her patient. "I have to go now," She said hastily. "Just pay attention for any symptoms and if you see anything that seems serious I need you to let me know as soon as possible."

With that, Nicole ran to her new patient, an unconscious woman, human, who had been dragged onto one of the beds by a slug-like alien. She started by reaching for the woman's neck. "She's got a pulse. She's breathing."

Nicole then reached for a scanner on a nearby table and began to operate it. "Heart seems to be beating normally," she announced. She faced the slug alien. "Did you see her conscious? I need to know if she displayed anything that seemed strange."

The whole feeling itself was something quite jarring to Nicole. She had not conducted a serious operation since she faced the massive casualties at Gaia. Even on the slave ship she was just bandaging a few minor injuries. She just hoped that whatever it was it would not be too hard for her to deal with.

IC [Agent Dorian]

"I suppose no one did, but difficult times call for difficult measures." The world shifted as the two walked out, returning to the meadow. "Well, this was slightly more constructive than I had expected. Still not out of here, though."

voidstars.png

IC: Souper Saladd, Answerer to Questions

"It's quite complicated, Doc. She was talking to someone who wasn't actually physically here. Now do not confuse that with schizophrenia, her mind shows no connection to that human disorder. What I mean is that another presence entered her mind in order to interact with her for an unknown reason. As soon as I threatened to go to the Colonel, she relented, as apparently something upset her about what the presence was saying. It was a male presence, I'm sure of it, human. Not sure how, but a human is using psiionics to beam their consciousness into her. I think. Now do a CAT Scan of her brain or at the very least get the Colonel. And get the other slugs if you can, we need all the experts here that we can muster" Souper explained, as fast as possible, glad that someone finally paid attention to them both.

Edited by Zhangku

Ashley found herself actually relieved to see the meadow, if only because it wasn't the morgue. The more she thought about everything she'd seen though the more she wondered. She turned to face Dorian.

"What exactly do you want from me? It has to be more than just to observe this mission and 'guide' it, no way I'm buying that story now. You already mentioned that I'd be running into your employers in the future, for what purpose? To recruit me? Or do I even have a choice?" The idea of potentially being coerced into taking this serum of theirs did not appeal to her. It was certainly possible considering how much they desired psionic humans. For all she knew Dorian could be lying to her face about whatever he wished, telling her half-truths and/or omitting important details.

IC [Agent Dorian]

"Observation. Your mission may be critical to the victory of mankind over the Mantis; someone needs to be here to observe. Why my employers didn't send someone physical escapes me; our memories are merged, Ashley, I can no more tell you a lie than I can lie to myself. You're not here to be recruited, though I'm sure if you want to join the program in the future, the TIA would have no problems with it."

voidstars.png

Ashley huffed. "Don't count on that." For the moment it seemed she'd learned just about all she could from these memories. Her curiosity was satisfied and now she really wanted to wake up. The problem was, how did she get out of here for good? She decided to concentrate on leaving, thinking of being awake and not in memory lane. She had no idea if it would work but there wasn't any harm in trying.

IC: Nicole had to pause a moment, somewhat skeptical and confused about what the slug was saying to her. "So you're telling me that a man has somehow managed to literally enter her brain and communicate with her consciousness." She still had trouble fully wrapping her mind around the idea, but she had nothing else to go on. She reached for one of the scanners on the table nearby and began pushing a few buttons. "Alright," she said. "I'll start looking at her brain. You mentioned getting an officer down here, see if you can reach anyone. If you're right about this I want to know what I'm doing."

Nicole began to run the scanner along the patient's head, carefully studying the CAT Scan as displayed on the screen. There were a few tense moments. Memories started to flood back into her head as she watched the images, images of her desperate struggles to stop the bleeding and just ensure the patients could survive back on Gaia, and one in particular.

She was snapped out of those thoughts when something seemed to emerge on the screen. She looked closely at it. "I found something," Nicole announced after a moment. "There's something embedded in her brain. It's fairly large by the looks of it, I'd suggest a tumor, but it has too regular a shape." As strange as the idea sounded, Nicole recalled the secrecy she had been subjected to since she was pulled out of that hospital on Earth.

"You mentioned something about a man in her brain. Literally speaking that would be impossible, but if this is some kind of device perhaps it could project an image, or somehow allow a person's consciousness into her mind or something."

This whole discovery was itself overwhelming, and she was starting to worry. Already there were questions with no definitive answers. How did it get there? Who put it in there? Was this something she agreed to or was it somehow placed without her knowledge. Nicole was on the verge of panic, especially since she realized a logical next step would be surgery to try and recover the device and, if possible, remove it.

OOC

GM recton here: there is no device, this was done entirely telepathically, as suggested by the massive psionic activity. The CAT scan would detect anomalous brain activity but there is no device for it. Please, ask me before going into that sort of detail.

IC [Agent Dorian]

The two sort of stood there for a little bit, nothing happen, the agent glancing around. "So... not exactly working the way it's suppose to, eh? I think one of these barriers might be in the way..." The world shifted to a office filled with filing cabinets, the agent walking about in it until he found what he was looking for. "I am going regret this immensely, but better than staying catatonic for the rest of your days." He pulled the file out and flipped through it, the world growing darker and Ashley suddenly having a sense of vertigo as the dream world gave a quick puff of non-existance.

She awoke, the world coming back into vision, with Agent Dorian gone, temporarily at least.

voidstars.png

OOC: I'm sorry. I had to make an educated guess and it seemed reasonable to assume there was some sort of technology involved.

IC: Nicole was momentarily startled as her patient's eyes opened. She reached out an put an arm on her shoulder. "Are you okay?" She asked.

Ashley groaned as she opened her eyes, finding herself lying on a medical cot with people all around her. "Oh good...I'm awake..." She said groggily, the whole experience had been rather taxing. A woman asked her if she was okay, she just nodded.

IC: Souper Saladd

"Thank the gods that might or might not exist" Souper murmured as xhe began to slink away. As much as xhe wanted to help Ashley feel better by being by her side, it was more important to tell the Colonel about this. Stopping at the doorway, the slug turned around and moved back to beside Ashley, "Doc, if you wouldn't mind, could you PLEASE get Colonel Ojeda down here. Or at least someone who reports to the Colonel?" said the slug, putting a hand on Ashley's arm, "It's going to be okay, Ashley" xhe said, turning back to the genetically modified human.

IC [Agent Dorian]

Ashley's relief might have been quelched a bit when she saw herself lean over her.

"Good news and bad news," the agent said. "Good news, that didn't obliterate my consciousness. Bad news, it fused some bits of it into yours, apparently one of them being self-perception. So, take this as you will."

Meanwhile the medbay doors opened to reveal Ojeda, who walked in with a slight limp and looked around. "The computer told me Souper was demanding my presence; someone give me the situation."

voidstars.png

IC: Nicole looked towards the Colonel, still not fully having grasped the situation herself. "This woman was brought in unconscious," she began. "Supposedly there was a man invading her mind. I was scanning her brain when she suddenly woke up."

IC: Souper Saladd, the Explainer

Turning immediately to the Colonel, xhe immediately explained everything that they knew, "Well, it started back after we finished with the slaver. While Ashley was in the medbay, I sensed something was off. Something in her head told me to buzz off, and said that she might be mentally torn apart if I pried, so I waited until recently when she was healthy again to not risk anything. I should've told you, yes, but at the time we had more things to worry about then a POSSIBLE problem. You can punish me after she is better. Today, I went to talk to her about it so that I could bring the situation to her attention. The thing in her mind caused her to collapse. I can tell you this much, it was a human that was somehow in her head. The ringing is STILL inside of her. I am not sure how to remove it and I suggest you get the other slugs here. Individually we are useless, but perhaps together we can manage this. I don't know of any human organizations that would do this to a person, but something tells me we should find out as soon as possible."

Edited by Zhangku

Ashley fixably paled as she looked at what was now her doppelganger. "Oh goddd....he looks like me now..." She said out loud for everyone to hear, she probably looked like she was staring at someone who wasn't actually there, and that was pretty much true.

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

The Colonel sorted the various people talking all at once and tried to process it accordingly. Souper did seem rather panicked about all of this, and Ashley was over talking to thin air. "Has she a mental breakdown? I know the Mantis hit her hard, that would cause some sort of trauma."

Meanwhile the agent raised an eyebrow. "Well, announce it for the whole world why don't you."

voidstars.png

IC: Souper Saladd, Brain Expert

"Colonel..." said the Slug, "You know why I can tell it's an outside presence. My race is naturally telepathic. Something has hitched a ride in the young Cat-human's brain and it won't be knocked out of it easily. She is suffering greatly as a result of it's extended presence, the longer we wait to gather those that could possibly do something, the larger amount of damage is imminent in her brain. We don't know the nature of the intrusion, but with enough of us here...we can deal with it" xhe said, increasingly worried as Ashley mentioned a double.

Ashley simply looked away from Dorian, seeing herself without a mirror was disturbing. Her cat ears were pinned down in distress, she did not like Dorian's consciousness merging with any part of her, at all.

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Francis, Zoss, get down here." The Colonel pondered the situation briefly, before turning to Souper again. "I trust you, Souper, but I've never heard of such a thing, a presence being implanted in someone's mind. We're lightyears away from Slug space; who could have done this? I've never even heard of a Slug being so strong psionically. Also, doctor, get the smaller neural monitors on the pilot; we need to be constantly watching her, in case this is serious."

voidstars.png

IC: Souper Saladd, Mental Species Identifier

So Ojeda was partially on board. That was good. Still not believing the Slug about the Human mind infiltrating Ashley? Not as good. Pinching their nonexistent nose-shaped protrusion, Souper looked at the Colonel and sighed, "I know we are nowhere near slug space. I am telling you that I can detect species based on thought patterns. Given that I have little choice in the matter of what I hear with my damaged thinkerbox, I think you should trust me when I say that it is a HUMAN mind, not a slug's. As much as I do not like the idea, Slug minds are a little more mucus-covered than this. It's crisp. Clean. Military, perhaps. And mentally it is loud enough to cause my hearing holes to ring slightly. And I've heard of this before, but only as a rumor. Astral Projection is rare, but there are Slug Legends that speak of it being at least possible."

IC (Ameli)

Ameli was not having a good day, evidently one of their crew members had gone insane or been possessed by something drifting between the void of the stars. She’d just been tossed out of her office, may or may not have been exposed to harmful fumes (she felt fine, angry but fine) and now it seemed like half the crew was down here. Thankfully their attention was focused on the feline. She’d have died of embarrassment otherwise.

Still. That was a cold comfort considering said feline was in the process of going insane. These days, it seemed like the universe was actively out to get the crew.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Kenshin Harken

IC: There was a click and the sound of plastic sliding as Harken pulled out his sidearm and pressed the release. The clip of plasma rounds dropped out in to his waiting hand before it was replaced by a second one he pulled from the ammo pouch attached to his holster. Sliding it in the pistol he let his arm drop to his side without cocking the weapon.

"I hope I do not have to shoot her, but if I must I would prefer to keep it non-lethal." He said to the Colonel.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"They never taught anything about this in psionics class." The Colonel rubbed the bridge of her nose, plotting a course of action. "You and the other slugs will try and delve into this, they-" the Colonel's attention turned to Ashley. "Psionic humans? That's... I've never even heard anything suggesting that. Still, knowing those creeps at the TIA, it's something they might try. To be able to transmit a whole consciousness... this Agent Dorian, what's his motive in this?"

"Being stuck in your head can be problematic, can't properly respond to these things." The agent cringed as something stabbed at the back of his mind. "And there goes the final barrier. All those confidential secrets. This is why the higher ups need to be more careful." The man's sophistication seemed to be on the slide, though Ashley wouldn't notice that; for the moment her brain was trying to cope with having the important bits of thirty years of life suddenly become known to her. Passwords, missions, dinners, all were suddenly there, as natural as remembering her own childhood, but the most immediate memory played vividly out in front of her.

"We appreciate your support of this mission," the committee leader spoke, standing up. "I cannot imagine a better agent than yourself for this objective, Dorian."

"It's an honor sir." The agent stood up, shaking the leader's hand. "Me and Miss Paul have worked with each other enough, she practically knows my mind inside and out."

"As we are aware." The committee leader and the agent walked out of the room and into the halls, heading towards the telepathic wing. "You will be the seventh to undergo this process."

"I wasn't aware anyone else had done this, sir. Was it not on file?"

"Security clearances, agent. I'm sure you understand."

"Of course sir." Dorian smiled. "Still, an honor, one of the first pioneers. Do you know what'll happen to my duplicate?"

"We'll collect the pilot and put that consciousness back into your own. It'll be seamless."

"Not too unpleasant, I hope." They emerged into the prepping room, Emily smiling at him as he sat down in the chair. "I don't envy you, Emily, gotta pick out a single mind out of the cosmos."

"Not too hard when you know what you're looking for." She stood above him, fingers on his head. "You may experience some... lag, you could call it. Time dilation may come into effect."

The memory cut off abruptly as her mind continued processing the new information, leaving Ashley to wonder what exactly that was, while the Colonel snapped a finger in front of her face. "Pilot," the Colonel said. "Pilot, you need to stop doing that."

voidstars.png

Ashley felt overwhelmed as mass amounts of information became available to her. As the one particular memory played out she focused on that. What finally snapped her out of it was the Colonel's snapping fingers. She looked at the Colonel with some surprise.

"I'm...I'm sorry...I've got...all his memories now...it's a bit overwhelming...." She took a moment to remember what the Colonel asked. "Agent Dorian had his consciousness....duplicated into my head in order to...observe our mission...to make sure we succeed...they plan on...collecting me later and putting the duplicates consciousness back into the original's..." Ashley rubbed her temples, she was getting a very nasty headache from everything going on in her mind.

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"If the TIA wanted to make sure we succeeded, they could just put a plant here." The Colonel raised an eyebrow, glancing at Harken. "I wouldn't be surprised if one of our crew was TIA anyways. I would think sending someone over to watch would be substantially easier than transferring consciousnesses. If you possess his memories now, surely there's something more to this you can find."

Meanwhile the agent was having a headache of his own, though not too surprising since the two shared brains; the memory merge was a two-way street and he was dealing with all the new memories and emotions, form shimmering out of existence but still somewhere in Ashley's head.

voidstars.png

IC: Andromeda

Zoltan woman sat on the bed, looking at everything that is happening. Not really much happened though: more people came to the medbay, notably a Vendarian secret police officer. The badges of rank were familiar to her because of the good old High Command trainings. Still not turning off her badge, Andromeda stood up and wanted to use Harken's advise to get out, but then they dragged here a human woman with feline ears. That was something Zoltan woman never saw: a genetically enhanced species. She couldn't help but to stay a bit aside and watch as Colonel Odeja came by and began to question a Slug that was here. She tilted her head a little bit, coming a bit closer to listen and observe. A human telepath? As if Slug was not enough for this universe, but humans seem to have little problem of finding their own niche in the galactic community. They liked experiments, a lot. Now that Ashley was awake and told about TIA's experiment of transplanting a consciousness of one human to another brain. Now that was weird. However, Andromeda heard legends of Zoltan that merged their minds and bodies to create a powerful fusion that, however, had it's energy too unstable and powerful to keep longer than a few hours and then dissipated.

Edited by The Mugbearer