RPG: FTL

Alex Humva

OOC
A reminder of everyone's positions:

The rebel became aware of the presences; powered armor man in the corner, Rockman outside, three officers around him, and a young... catgirl outside? There was an odd tingling in his head, like the time a slug salesman came by the city.

They arrived in the brig with little ceremony, a side door being opened and a shimmering forcefield turning off.

Just to make sure it's clear, Ashley and Ameli are actually outside but watching it unfold via a window and audio feed.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: Ashley 

Ashley didn't have anything else to say to Ameli, she'd made her point. Gene deviant? Never been called that before... Ashley wasn't sure if she should be offended or just laugh at how stupid it sounded. 

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Roland Hamilton

"Aye, I suppose," Roland replied as he took a gulp of water. "Federation member species. Have the peculiar habit of generating energy as if they were, I don't even know a suitable comparison, walking nuclear plants? Very mysterious, too. We know comparatively little about them. All the things they teach at school, really, I know. So what about them, Colonel..?"

Edited by Willy Brandt

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"We're visiting their homeworlds, which if you remember your astronomy lessons, is just about as far from civilization as you can get. Six to eight month voyage, longer since we keep stopping to pick people like you up."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Classified son, you'll find out when we get there."

voidstars.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Don't attack our Mantis, don't arm wrestle the botanist, and avoid mentioning the rebellion to the Lt. Colonel." Ojeda gave a shrug in Chastain's direction. "She's... not exactly the most happy camper about rebels."

voidstars.png

"It's not a topic I think I'd particularly enjoy either. Even if for completely opposite, just as personal, reasons," I said, trying to say that in the most conciliatory tone possible. "That said, bygones is bygones. Can someone show me around? I don't have a lot of personal effects to put where I'll be sleeping, but I'd like to know where I'll be sleeping regardless. Also eating, thinking, and working, as well as other mandatory bodily functions."

OOC
So yeah we're going sit here for a bit, chalk it up to the FTL node acting flaky. Feel free to use the time to socialize and such. Ashley's giving Roland the impromptu tour and the Colonel has retreated to her office to go think about old times.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

IC

Estelle said her goodbyes to the Colonel and to Sophie, using the down time to go visit her favorite weapons' officer. She grinned as she arrived on the bridge, walking up behind him and covering his eyes.

"Guess who?"

Edited by Queen Elsa of Arendelle

It seemed it was now Ashley's job to give the new member of the crew a tour. Ashley didn't have a problem with this, she liked meeting new people, even if they used to be rebels. This was also a nice way to get away from the uncomfortable silence she'd been in since her little argument with Ameli. 

She approached Roland eagerly with a grin on her face, "Hi I'm Ashley Landes! Welcome to the Kestrel!" 

IC (Ameli)

Ameli, as was her custom, retreated to her office to shuffle paperwork until she ran out of forms whilst the rest of the ship ignored her. That fight in the brig had been the most social interaction she'd had in days come to think of it. She looked up from the small mountain of paperwork on her desk and spoke into the thin air. "Dave, when you have a moment, inform our newest crew member he is free stop by my office at his leisure. There is much I wish to discuss with him. I thank you in advance, if for some reason this task cannot be completed, I thank you nonetheless. Ah, do not interfere in the tour to do so, I should clarify on that." As the cat had so kindly pointed out to her, she did not have the authority to sidetrack such an endeavor.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I think my eyes grew three sizes at the kindness in the greeting. That was a quick and very welcomed change. Certainly an excellent change from the typical demeanours varying from open hostility to professionalistic coldness.

"Hi, Ashley. I'm Roland Hamilton, and I'm glad to, well, be here. I suppose. This is as good a place as any. I understand you're to show me around?"

Kenshin Harken

IC: Since the interrogation seemed to be over, Kenshin made his way out of the room. Giving the new crew member a relatively light pat on the shoulder as he did so.

Time for some practice.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC:

"Hmmmmmm." Daniels smiled, pretending to think it over. "It's someone who decided to cover my eyes, which means either an affectionate gesture, or we've been boarded and I didn't notice. Given the fact that we haven't been boarded, and I most certainly know that voice, I can only conclude that it is Major Estelle Walker, my favorite Flight Commander."

"Am I right? I hope I am, because I'd be glad to see you. And if I'm wrong we really have been boarded."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

When the last of the hangers-on - Estelle - had filed away, Sophie leaned against the wall of the cell and bit her lip. It was an odd expression on her face, softened and healthy from her years in the military and a far cry from the grease monkey who had showed up at Ojeda's door on the frontier twelve years ago. But while her skin had softened and her makeup had lessened to levels of non-existence, her eyes had grown predatory, her mouth had forgotten to laugh, and her face had grown slightly hard. She looked vulnerable, now, like the woman who had once beaten an enlisted man for taking the name of Nawlins in vain.

"I know I was--"

"I know," said Ojeda.

"I let him get the best of me and--"

"I know," said Ojeda.

"--he was just so smug! And I thought of Asimov and the anti-air guns and the standoff and..." Chastain trailed off. Her eyes looked prone to watering.

"Not here, Sophie." Ojeda's voice was quiet, wrapping an arm around the woman's shoulder. "My office."

Sophie Chastain hardened, a dozen years rolling through her eyes in a twelfth of a second, and nodded.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC

She laughed and gently kissed his cheek. "Ding ding ding!" She said with a grin as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"It's been a while since I've seen you..." She said softly. "Guess we've been really busy lately."

IC: [ Wulf Kharon ] - UFS Kestrel / Deck 3 / Mess hall

Wulf sat alone at a corner table, his back to the wall, thoughtfully munching on a lukewarm burrito with extra jalapeno cheese sauce. Three empty cans of soda were arranged neatly nearby, along with a dog-eared paperback novel and his tablet computer.

IC:

"Yeah... Party at the Engi colony went to helI, and we've more or less been on the go since. And before that we were on the go." The Weapons Officer mused, half to himself and half to Estelle, before standing from his chair to embrace her.

"We've got a little spare time now, though."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:

"That sounds like it would be delightful. Hopefully Ojeda isn't reminded of what happened the last time I was down there." The Major commented, chuckling slightly. "I suppose we'll need to make a stop by the mess hall before we go."

fK5oqYf.jpg

OOC:
What's an Engi's average lifespan?

IC:
Gaven wandered into the mess hall, dropping into a seat by Kharon. "So, what's up?" he asked.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

The Colonel had given Chastain a few minutes to come to grips and recompose herself, before pulling out a bottle from the minifridge and pouring the two of them some scotch. Reclining back into her chair, she tossed the XO a nanite vial, jabbing one into herself. "You're on duty, can't get drunk right now. You want to talk about it?"

voidstars.png

IC:

"Nothing to talk about, sir. Rebel's living. Rebel's working on the crew. If the rebel plays fair, so will I. 's aces." Chastain's face and vocal inflections were monotone, borderline petrified.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Kid's not like the insurgents we faced on Asimov." Ojeda swirled her drink, but didn't take a sip; she seemed more fascinated by the swirling bubbles. "Farmer boy, out on the colonies hoping for adventure. Unless Ashley finds some lurking motive buried in his head, nothing more." She slid the cup away, seemingly dissatisfied with it. "Can't let Leto haunt you forever, Chastain. It's been eight years now. There is a time to mourn, a time to remember, and a time to move on."

voidstars.png

IC [Colonel Ojeda]

"Know what you said, but you might want to listen to how you're saying it." Ojeda began shuffling paperwork, trying to organize the desk pile. "I think that if you spoke any more forcefully, you'd break something, probably me."

voidstars.png

Ic:

Years ago...

The Au clan had congregated once more. This time, to dismantle a new gift from the gods...

... The remains of a capital-class starship. However, nobody on Yubokun would've known that. Not anymore. The surviving colonists had died of age long ago, and all the the clans of Yubokun knew of their ancestors lives were that they had angered the gods somehow, and that their punishment was that their home was destroyed in fire, and could never have been built again. At least that's what the shamans of Yubokun said. No one remembered the truth. Not cared. Not today.

Today, the Au chieftain's son would participate in his first harvest of the god's gifts. And so a young Rehn clutched her father's cloak in awe as she watched her relations scrabble over the junk, tearing it apart with their primitive tools, and preparing the derelict for their habitation.

"Isn't it amazing Rehn? Soon, you my son, shall live like a prince! Until the gods say it is time for us to leave, we shall live like in the city of the ancestors!" Her father exclaimed. Au'Rahf was a proud man, and a prouder chieftain. His 'son' was strong, smart, and capable. He would make a fitting heir.

But what Au'Rahf didn't know, was that his son Au'Rehn was no son at all, but secretly his daughter. She couldn't tell which of her father's many wives was her mother... There were simply too many possibilities. But they all helped her conceal her true nature. And Rehn accepted their advice. She saw how her father treated his wives, and had little intent to end up like poor Fe'olin. Or like the newest addition to her father's collection, a young woman -if Rehn could even call her a woman yet- by the name of Fe'caith.

So, she hid. And today, was her first true step in the path for her to grow from a "boy" to a "man". Her task was simple, to find an object of value to her clan, and bring it back to her father, the chief. And while Rehn had a superficial knowledge of what lay within the gift of the gods, she knew what she wanted to find, if it was still intact that is.

"Go on, my son. Claim your trophy, prove that you have grown from a mere boy," Au'Rahf said, grinning as he slapped Au'Rehn upon the back, grabbing her shoulder as shaking her gently. Au'Rehn could only cringe ever so slightly. Despite all her training she had put her body into, she still wasn't as tough as the other boys her age. But she knew that toughness was only one facet to true strength.

When the time was ready, and a proper entrance had been cut into the gift, Au'Rehn and two other boys descended into the ship.

"C'mon Au'Daet, I want to find one of those fire-bows that my father was talking about! Maybe we can shoot Au'Rehn with it later, finally get him to toughen up!" One of the boys called out, provoking an eye roll from the young girl. None knew her secret, aside from her father's wives, but the whole clan knew that she wasn't as large or tough as her father. And among the nomad tribes of Yubokun, any weakness like that encouraged others stronger than you to "motivate" you to become stronger, often by applied physical pain.

"Maybe so, Au'Soth, but I will find a mighty metal egg, and drop it upon your home to see if it works like Shaman Au'Calb told us," Rehn retorted, her more girly voice often enticing more teasing and "motivation" from the other boys, but not this time. The clan shaman, Au'Calb warned all about the metal eggs. He said that legend said that they were dropped into the city of the ancestors, when the gods punished them. But they were certainly a real threat. Sometimes, the gifts the gods gave them contained a metal egg. One that could possibly destroy the gift... Or even, a whole clan, according to the shaman's stories. The threat was obvious, and Au'Soth's silence was enjoyable. Au'Rehn could only wonder if others would fall into the same silence when she became chief, and told the idiots who argued with her that they would have to drink from the waters.

The three boys went their separate ways inside the gift, each wishing to find their trophy first. But Rehn... Rehn had a different plan. She eventually found her way into a deep part of the gift, a section that often became the space for private meetings...

Rehn had found the engine room. And in there, she withdrew from within her clothes an object that her father had found before her birth. It was a glowing crystal. And Rehn had figured out from the shaman's stories, exactly where it belonged...

Powering a gift was harder than Rehn had expected, but her trophy she brought to her father -although the last one to do do- was the greatest of them all. She had brought power to the gift, and opened its doors for the people of her clan. She knew that other people in her clan had found similar crystals, and now she knew that the god's gift fed off them, like how people fed off plants and animals. And so they were able to light the night, lock their doors, and defend themselves against other raiding clans when the need arose. And her clan was happy. Rehn was a hero of sorts, having proven herself no longer a boy in the most extravagant of means, she was on the path to becoming a man in the eyes of the rest of her village. However, Rehn didn't realize that when she placed the crystal inside the ship, and powered the basic systems of the ship... The ship sent out a ping for help, in its damaged state.

And someone heard it.

-

A few years later, Rehn was growing into a woman that would be desired by any man... If she didn't cut her hair close to her skull, and did other things to make herself look like a man. Au'Rehn did have to admit to herself in private, that she did look beautiful. She enjoyed how her body looked, and sometimes couldn't help but wishing she could try to take a wife like the other young men. Except for of course, those actions were wrong in the eyes of the gods. A deed that was punishable by death. And so she kept her thoughts to herself (as if she could talk to anyone else about that anyway), and did her best keep focused on the matter at hand in the backwards world of yubokun. The gods had returned.

A month prior, a new gift had come from the heavens. But instead of the partially destroyed form that they arrived in, this one came whole. And bore within, the gods and their minions. The god in question called himself "Commander Hanson", and had descended into the world to find the "Ascalon". It wasn't until Au'Rahf began holding conversations with the god, did they learn that this Ascalon was the home the Au clan had created inside the gift. And tonight, tonight the chieftain would dine with his god, to better aid him...

The Au clan was afflicted by what many would call shock. The Commander Hanson had shown them, that the gods were not real. That the clan shouldn't exist. And the "gifts" were shattered wrecks from the wars in the "heavens"- actually space. Since the revelation, the clan's functions had stopped. Au'Calb was presumed to be dead, due to his extended absence. The Commodore Hanson had declared them to be in territory controlled by his superiors... A confederation of some sorts... And Au'Rahf had in response gathered the warriors, and attacked the Commodore in the wake of this revelation. None had returned. And so, as the confederation learned the true fate of a human colony, and began to retake it for themselves, killing warriors who would not submit... Au'Rehn lost her father. This paled in comparison as the Au'Clan was shepherded into a hastily-constructed camp, to which they would stay. At least until the federation learned of yubokun, and demanded to have forces upon the lost colony. And when they finally arrived at the camp where the Au clan had been forced into, several of the men begged to be taken with them off and away from Yubokun. Au'Rehn included.

-

In the present, Au'Rehn was sitting atop Ashley's fighter, having paused in her work on it to try something that had been given to her. Beer. It tasted revolting, and she could barely keep it down, but after awhile she began to feel so incredibly warm inside... And that's when her memories came back. Her life on Yubokun, and how overjoyed she was to learn that the federation would take her off the planet, in return for her enlistment. And how she quickly felt crushed when her technical knowledge was overshadowed by other recruits. All her close calls with medical exams, and more hiding... Only to learn that her first assignment out of boot was aboard a ship named the kestrel. She was crushed when she learned more about the crew. They were decorated, or had some other reason to be here. They were the best of the best... And Rehn knew, she was just here to help out Devas. She had been taken aboard to fill a quota, based upon an off-handed comment someone Ojeda knew had made. And so, Au'Rehn of clan Au came to be on the kestrel. And so, she was making good use of her time being half-drunk, slowly downing cans in the dozen, alone in the hanger.

IC: [ Wulf Kharon ] - UFS Kestrel / Deck 3 / Mess hall

Wulf shrugged heavy shoulders slightly in response to the Rockman's query. "You know, I've never been able to think of a suitable response for that questio--"

His voice broke off mid-sentence as the cat-girl whirled happily into the mess hall, dragging along a skinny, dark-haired guy he didn't recognize. Must be the 'solitary life form' from the derelict they'd just investigated.

"Hey look, Gaven. Fresh meat."

"Here we are! The mess hall!" Ashley exclaimed in almost a sing song. She spotted Souper in the kitchen, cooking as xhe always did.

"The slug over there is Souper, Souper is our chef, can cook anything you want!"

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

IC:
"Yeah, I know. I helped escort him to the brig. Seemed pretty innocent, but you never know. Anyways, I typically give a snarky answer when asked 'What's up', but that's just me. Such as, 'My annoyance level', or 'The ceiling', and so on. Think we should invite Ashley and the newbie over here?"

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")