Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

Ah, right, mai bad xD

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

So I'm rooming w/ Francis and the other Rockman? Also, Atton, can you make room in your PM box, please?

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

My character submission

Name: Maton (Take the Maton out of Automaton)
Species: Engi
Profession: Weapon Constructor
Skills: Can build many different types of weapons, some useless, some very very helpful, Combat proficient unlike most engis
Items: Likes to twirly a tiny gear on his finger / Suitcase with a random items
Personality: While he is generally nice to people, he will go into sudden fits of rage when someone annoys him dumb questions. The current emotion he has will appear on his screen as an emote. Happy :) Sad :(
Mad > :( ect. Has a racist attitude towards Mantis.
Biography: Maton was a slave to a very wealthy Mantis family, they treated him very poorly even though he did everything to the best of his ability. One night Maton came across a storage room that contained large amounts of old chemicals and other parts of broken weapons. Secretly he would go there every night and just start building, at first he didn't really make that many impressive things, but after a couple of months, he started constructing things like swords, crossbows, and other weapons, all just out of the junk in the storage. One night after a really hard beating, Maton decided enough was enough, he went down into the storage and built chemical thrower out of old tubes, piping, and other chemicals. After he completed his weapon, he took his revenge out on the Mantis family, burning them all to a crisp, after that, he burnt down their property, leaving nothing but ash. He joined the FEDs to take the fight to the Mantis and get revenge for what they did to him, given training in weapon engineering. He was assigned to be a weapons engineer on the Kestrel.
Edited by Criminal Scum

Yoko

SPY SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY! :P

GOTTA MOVE THAT GEAR UP!

You know, I have had the thought before that it would be funny if that was just like a thing humans die around Engis, quoting lines from Team Fortress 2 every time their species name is brought up, to their complete and utter confusion.

• Upvote 1

SPY SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY! :P

GOTTA MOVE THAT GEAR UP!

You know, I have had the thought before that it would be funny if that was just like a thing humans die around Engis, quoting lines from Team Fortress 2 every time their species name is brought up, to their complete and utter confusion.

Haha :)

Yoko

Just so you know, there are few reasons why Nicole shouldn't be discharged. So far, she's proven only to be a liability. :/

Well, in her defense there hasn't exactly been very much happening that would give Nicole a chance to do something useful. I mean it's not like we've had any actual medical emergencies yet or anything, and I thought I was starting to get better. I had her trying to control her outbursts and we even gave her a therapeutic session. I even wanted to give her a chance to talk to some of the more seasoned veterans (I was hoping her interactions with Wulf or her confrontation with Estelle in the kitchen would provide an opportunity for such a conversation but Wulf walked out before I could get it going and Humva started the meeting before it could start with Estelle).

The problem with digging your own grave is that there's no one there to help you out of it.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I thought you guys said I'd be able to keep her on if her behavior improved. There's only so many things you can do when confined to one ship while there aren't any other players around and I can't bring in NPCs, but I started having her calm down and trying to be more civil around other crew members. I thought that was a good first step.

It is a good first step but you still need to justify yourself in-game.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

If you're that hard up for help, I suggest looking up similar RL cases and seeing what you can learn there.

Research is helpful when it comes to things like this.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

That's the problem. I was hoping the conversation between Nicole and the computer would help but every possible defense I've brought up keeps getting shot down. Isn't there something I could find that might warrant her presence?

To be frank, that's not a question that can be answered.

This is Nicole's last chance; That doesn't mean it's an easy one, or one that you can work your way out of easily. This is the equivalent of a turn around in the last quarter of the game, or the one in a million shot. Nicole's actions are pretty hefty, and it'll take come clever work to get her out of this.

And it really doesn't help that you assaulted the Flight Commander's pilot.

she's a bit protective

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be anything. The closest thing I've found is the existence of something called "exposure therapy' which could be implemented on the Kestrel (i.e. having Nicole visit the hospital under safer circumstances) but probably could also be done in other places. Outside of that the only thing I've found is to raise the question of where they'd get a doctor but I'd probably just get told they could get one off the Brasillia.

There's got to be something I can do here. I didn't go through the effort of trying to improve Nicole just so I could be forcefully put onto a bus. I was even thinking about a few things to do with her once she was sufficiently recovered.

Edited by Atton Rand

The best I'm seeing out of this is she gets instated as a non-command nurse.

voidstars.png

We also already have a doctor, Koth's character

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Okay, maybe that's the best option. Give her a chance to earn the trust of the crew and work her way up.

We also already have a doctor, Koth's character

Come to think of it I don't think we've heard from her in a while. It's a bit ironic that I still have yet to actually meet the other doctor face to face.

Edited by Atton Rand

Yeah we kinda just pretend Koth's there without actually being there. Cardboard cutout and all that.

voidstars.png

Uh, Koth more or less quit...

Oh dear, in that case we do have a vacancy for a doctor.

When I suggested the idea of Nicole being a paramedic, my rationale was that she would then be able to do her job of medicine but with a bit less of the strain. Her job would be simply to stabilize patients whenever there was an accident and then get them to the hospital only actually doing surgery when an extra hand was required. I guess I just thought that giving her a job like that would help her gradually regain confidence in her abilities and maybe eventually overcoming her fears of the emergency room.

I guess I was also kinda hoping that session with the computer might help a bit, like maybe the sentient computer that has had time to observe her could offer some sort of testimony to the commander.

Edited by Atton Rand

There's a difference between having a job vacancy and being fit for it.

The question isn't is there a job available for Nicole, it's is Nicole suitable to have a job. You have prove that she's stable and not liable to have outbursts, not that there's a vacancy. After all the galaxy is a big place, finding another doctor won't be too hard.

Edited by Commander Viral

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

The question isn't is there a job available for Nicole, it's is Nicole suitable to have a job. You have prove that she's stable and not liable to have outbursts, not that there's a vacancy. After all the galaxy is a big place, finding another doctor won't be too hard.

And I've been working on that by trying to start improving her behavior. I guess I just assumed that there'd probably be a case made for Nicole before any inquiries got started (I don't know, I guess I somehow was stupid enough to think that maybe the computer would have a few things to say). Now I'm being asked for a character that initially didn't even want to be on the ship to find a justification to remain on board. I so far can't seem to find any sort of justification that isn't easily refuted and nobody's offering any kind of reprieve.

Okay, look, if you guys really hate Nicole that much I could just have her accept being transferred and then get out of your hair. It's not like anyone's going to miss her. Would you like that?

Edited by Atton Rand

The computer worked with her, yeah, but it was under no obligation or condition to discuss her situation with the Colonel. It sent the requisite reports and regulations to the Colonel, and if it feels the need to comment on something Nicole says, it will. As it stands, what motive does the computer have for supporting Nicole? It had a nice discussion, but it's not emotionally attached to her.

voidstars.png

And here I was stupid enough to think that conversation might actually go somewhere and perhaps help Nicole's case on some level.

I'm getting the sense that nobody here seems to like Nicole. I thought it would be interesting to write her struggle to overcome her traumatic experiences but evidently nobody else does. Would you rather I just say yes to the transfer and then go away and leave you all alone? I know Xomeron's just going to say yes so he doesn't have to respond (has he ever approved of anything I've done?) but what about the rest of you?

Alright, look: I'm gonna level with you here. Wanted to send it to you one on one, man to man, so as to not make it a scene, but your inbox is either backlogged or it's wearing a chastity belt. It's not my primary intention to make sure you can never show your face in the discussion topic, but I'm not gonna lie to you either and tell you that more than a couple people would be totally okay with that happening. If you want to stay in the game, you're gonna have to learn to be a team player. Not just IC, but OOC too.
For what it's worth, I know you're trying: I've seen you send Nicole around trying to connect with people. It's as good a start as any. Fundamental problem is that not only do you not respond well to people not being able to interact or not wanting to interact with Nicole at the moment, now and again you get pretty impetuous about it. Take this:

I guess I just assumed that there'd probably be a case made for Nicole before any inquiries got started (I don't know, I guess I somehow was stupid enough to think that maybe the computer would have a few things to say). Now I'm being asked for a character that initially didn't even want to be on the ship to find a justification to remain on board. I so far can't seem to find any sort of justification that isn't easily refuted and nobody's offering any kind of reprieve.
Okay, look, if you guys really hate Nicole that much I could just have her accept being transferred and then get out of your hair. It's not like anyone's going to miss her. Would you like that?
It's like you ignored about a month of life in general, and how people gave Nicole a second chance to try and shape up before she throttled a damaged catgirl who's the closest thing the Kestrel has to a mascot. There are consequences to the things that you do in this game. You may not like the consequences. You may live to regret the consequences, or the consequences may kill you. But they are the same consequences you'd get if you were to walk up to my house, kick down the door, and throttle me screaming to get out of your head.
Not only would you wake up with stitches, but I guarantee I'd never let you so much as touch my front porch again.
Another thing that has to change - I don't know if it's an inferiority complex or what, but don't assume people are either ignoring you or missed what you're saying. It may get acknowledged IC or it may not; they may talk about it to other players or they may not, but chances are that they do see it and they do think about it. No one's ignoring you, but no one owes you a response, either. That needs to change if you ever want to get in the good books of the people who you've managed to irk.
Speaking of changes: most of us are either your age, or only a year or two younger than you. We have some grownass men who play this game. We know how science works. It may honestly feel like you're doing the right thing by explaining what exactly is in the solar system, but we know. It feels condescending, and it doesn't help anyone. Same with the jokes about the obscure films which you go so far to mention that no one else will get (by the way: Zero Dark Thirty, Take Shelter, The Help respectively; not exactly sleeper hits that no one else has seen) That's a bit smarmy too.
Look, I'm not your enemy. I don't know you that well, and aside from your film references I don't know anything that you do when you're not freaking out at us over the computer. What I do know is that you dug yourself a pit with Nicole, that we tried to help you out of it, and now you're on your own. If she goes, it's not the end of the world. Just make another character with a different viewpoint on the war. It happens. It's nothing to fuss over.
You need to change up your attitude, and the way you've gone about this game so far, IC and OOC. Because what you're doing right now isn't exactly making you into this game's verison of Cupid, but it sure as is shooting you in the .
-Tyler
  • Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

grown*** men

*and women inclusivity ya'know.

But yeah Atton you gotta work for these things when your character does stuff. Give the Colonel an assurance of some sort, agree to psionic therapy, I don't know, have Nicole do something other than trying to justify her disorders.

voidstars.png

But yeah Atton you gotta work for these things when your character does stuff. Give the Colonel an assurance of some sort, agree to psionic therapy, I don't know, have Nicole do something other than trying to justify her disorders.

Okay, I could do that. I had intended Nicole's description to just be a starting point I didn't expect that to be her entire attempt at a defense. At this point I'll probably need to have someone suggest these options before I can take them, though.

Keep in mind, Gaven's new to the Kestrel. He probably doesn't know all the tech and goodies it's got.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Keep in mind, Gaven's new to the Kestrel. He probably doesn't know all the tech and goodies it's got.

To be totally honest, if it's any consolation I can't say I fully understand it all myself. I just try to keep up with the technology as best I can.

You know, when I think of Gaven I can't seem to help thinking of something like on of the rock monsters from Rock Raiders. Was that the idea?