Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

I guess that makes sense.

In the meantime, I just have to wait for Commander Viral to reply to my last posts. Hopefully he'll be on soon. I was able to set up a possible shift in character for Nicole that occurred to me, making Irina's death itself a catalyst for her to stay on the mission (sort of revenge in a very roundabout way). I think it could be an interesting turn but I would advise caution if anyone wants to have a Mantis crew member interact with her, although granted being resented for atrocities committed by their kind is probably nothing knew to them.

Wrong topic, ignore this post.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Wrong topic, ignore this post.

I hate it when that happens. Back in my old days when I would do five or six RPG's at a time I would sometimes get characters' names mixed up. It was a rare occurrence but once in a while I'd make a post and someone would ask me "Whose [Character Name]?", and then I suddenly look at it and realize that I accidentally typed the name of a primary character in an entirely unrelated RPG without thinking.

Yes! Dorian can start snarking off again! The ability to snark is a horrible thing to lose.

Indeed it is. Nicole's only just starting to get hers back. Now if Commander Viral would just make a post. It's been two or three days now and so far he's the one person who hasn't posted anything.

Omar/Command Viral is in his finals week. We Americans have a decentralized education system and thus the entire month of May is filled with someone or another's finals, some even going into the first week of June. When he's done and has some spare time I'm sure he'll get back to you. I'd suggest a book to pass the time.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Interesting. Up here in Canada I was able to finish my finals back in March.

Who needs a book when I can just read the silly Inceptionventures of Ashley and Dorian. I guess it would give me some time to fo some writing.

I've got that one set on Venus with some interesting characters. If you think Nicole's got problems I should introduce you to Ilsa Leitz from that story. Nicole at least hasn't attempted to kill everyone by crashing the ship into the most hostile planet of the solar system because she was upset about losing a probe. Blimey, some of my stories are messed up.

Edited by Atton Rand

Why doesn't anyone write sci fi about sane people anymore?

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Why doesn't anyone write sci fi about sane people anymore?

Actually, I have a whole novel I've been working on with a fairly sane cast. There is some of the mental strain that comes from working alone in space for extended periods of time but never anything that seriously impedes the narrator from doing his job (he is an navigator aboard an asteroid mining ship). There was also one I just sent to a magazine where the main character wasn't so much insane as she was suffering a head injury that made it harder for her to think straight (and it also happened that she was stranded on the moon.

Then again mental illness does have a tendency to pop up in my writing. I wrote a piece based on the Cthulhu Mythos which centered on a young woman with an obsession with collecting eldritch artifacts who eventually decides to go visit Azathoth (which goes about as well as you'd expect). The one I was just describing involved an astronaut who develops a mother-like affection towards her probes, almost literally seeing them as her children.

Actually there's quite a few weird patterns that pop up in my work. Mental illness is one thing. I seem to have a weird thing for writing lesbian relationships (I swear I've written like at least five or six different lesbian couples, depending on whether you include Nicole and Irina or Andrea Jackson and Maria, and I maybe have two or three heterosexual ones). Also the number 42 shows up a lot in various forms (for obvious reasons).

Yeah, Xom just posted a link, I'll get it up in the front post soon enough.

Leading into my next point actually: I will be gone all of tomorrow and most of Saturday. I have volunteer work at the local convention and will be without internet, and also without the time to even be on it. Tyler has operational control while I'm gone, if Ashley needs to do anything with Dorian then Snelly can bunny him. Should be able to handle yourselves for two days, methinks.

voidstars.png

Should be able to handle yourselves for two days, methinks.

Two days? Well, it's not like I can do a whole lot right now anyways. I can write flashbacks now and then until I get the response but first I have to find stuff worth flashing back to.

I've been reading up on the recent posts as much as I could, for the moment it's just Ashley, Dorian, and Anna being psychically linked in a really long dream Inception-style (at least that's the sort of vibe I got from it, I'm not sure if that was the intention) and Estelle and Will going on a date. Of course if I recall it was mainly just for the month we were going to be here so hopefully we'll get something a bit more exciting happening soon.

Edited by Atton Rand

Well, I'll be gone till Thursday night myself. If someone wants to use Gaven for something, go ahead.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

"I cleaned up your brain while you were asleep. You'll find your memories organized into several different compartments, such as "Practical" and "Sentimental", and, in addition, alphabetized. Also, I've sharpened your reflexes and such."

Next Dorian line. Calling it now. =P

- :burnmad:

I'll have to check that out. I did have the idea to do some sort of compilation piece chronicling the events of Gaia, sort of combining the accounts of Nicole and Wulf along with Humva's "official" version but I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to go through with that idea.

For what it's worth, just a quick heads-up here; I'll be gone this coming Wednesday through Sunday, exact times of departure/return unclear.

So I haven't forgotten y'all, just don't expect anything from Wulf for a while. ;)

(his next post is gonna involve wringing the neck of a stupid interfering ferret, ah ha ha haaa)

Literally right now. The doctor we picked up from a slaver ship is sorting plants in the botany room, so your character could show up.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Right. I haven't been as active as I could be in this RPG. The reason...erm, I went caroling. Yes. Caroling.

I certainly didn't waste hours of my life on Tropico 5. No sir.

Anywho, I should be more active this coming weekend. If anyone is interested in interaction, do sound off. Preferably from an altar blessed in the name of the great slithering darkness, Yig.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

His is a Rockman. So unless you're fond of hypocritical racism... :P

Well, given that we've been at war with the Mantis for at least a year, it wouldn't be too far fetched that some xenophobia has set in. I'd imagine the government would be willing to use propaganda and other means to enforce the impression that the mantis are evil and combining that with half the cast already having some reason or other to be angry with them, a good deal of xenophobia even from a rockman wouldn't be too crazy.

Gaven's not actually xenophobic or racist. He judges people on a case by case basis, which seems to be more than I can say for the rest of the galaxy. I would love to speak to one or both mantis, though.

Edited by avmatoran

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Hey all I have some really bad news.

My computer removed a trojan last week… In addition to last week being really ###### in reality for me, I didn't realize until the night before yesterday that my computer didn't just remove a trojan… Some of the good essentials that allow me to do stuff (like access the internet and control my volume) also got removed :(

So my computer crashed, and it needs to be fixed and all that jazz. In addition to work, I'm not going to be able to do much.

So I'm probably gonna be posting once a day from now until I get my computer fixed.

And yea :(

reposting here for the record

Hopefully your computer gets fixed soon, Auron.

Also I'd like to point out that on the propaganda side of things... you don't need propaganda to make the Mantis look evil. Having bloodlust from birth is a scientifically proven fact; their society puts no importance on other species' sapience and they devoured entire human colonies. Saying "well maybe not all the Mantis" on Terra will get you lynched and saying it in the colonies will get you burned at the stake. Humanity suffered causalities upwards of half a billion in the initial attack, everyone knows someone who died. Tl;dr propaganda just isn't necessary here.

Is worth noting that the xenophobia against Rockmen tends to be far less, though; they were one of the first species humanity met, and despite some early misunderstandings, Rockmen are currently the second largest alien group in human space, behind the Engi. Many of the migrant fleets now sweep through human colonies, and in general there's a feeling of ambivalence. The main Rockman government is at war with humanity, of course, though thanks to General Talos' diplomatic efforts, that's changing.

voidstars.png

Our botanist Rockman hippie.

voidstars.png

OOC: We're in an asteroid field now? That's all well and good but you guys do know that asteroid fields are actually very easy to navigate? The rocks themselves are usually at least several miles apart. You're not likely to go crashing into one unless that's your intention.

We're not in an asteroid field though. There were only a few asteroids around and one the Kestrel was near got a little bit blown to pieces creating a field of debris. And our evasive manoeuvres are more to avoid the laser and plasma gunfire than random asteroids

Edited by More Fierce Than Fire

7AOYGDJ.jpg