Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

Oh, that's right. Hippie?

Psychedelic music, tie-dye bandanas, incense, laid-back demeanors, the only thing unhippie about him is a propensity for combat. :P

Expect my next post tomorrow, I can't move as fast as you lot.

I'm still confused, should I look for the interaction?

baltimore_ravens.png

Rand, if you want Nicole to be taken seriously, I suggest you do a bit of research on how doctors tend to operate and how medicine works, since Nicole doesn't seem to know much about either of those.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Well you considered leaving once, I didn't complain about that.

Really though, I'm not the only one complaining, just the only one willing to voice it. You're playing Nicole very unrealistically, especially if you want her to be seen as a competent doctor rather than an incompetent psychiatric patient who somehow slipped past the military's psychologists.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Okay, I apologize for not being a doctor and thus not having a full understanding of medicine and combining that with technological advancements in universe I have to make an educated guess once in a while. You think this is bad, you should have seen some of my moments in Dino Attack RPG. On one end there was a scene where a clinically dead patient was revived by being hit with a shark after conventional CPR and a defibrillator had failed (sharks and trees came up a lot whenever Enter and Return were involved). On the other end there was a moment where I actually did a bit of research on how to treat the injuries described and ended up doing such a good job I put another player's character out of commission for the duration of the RPG (well, it was the final battle and the patient in question had to have a tube stuck into his lung and was unconscious for most of the remaining duration of said battle).

Edited by Atton Rand

Why do you keep playing doctors if you know nothing about medicine?

Massive blood loss is not a psychological issue.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

The computer said "moderate blood loss" was a symptom. As in, Ashley has lost enough that she is low on blood and it is becoming an issue. More importantly than that, psychological problems do not cause nosebleeds.

-Rover

Okay, I'm sorry that I'm better in the field of astronomy than I am in medicine. I'm sorry that I'm not a professional in either one and I'm far more fluent in film studies. Maybe I should go with that since that's an area I'd know well except... oh wait... there's no reason a crew like this would need a film critic aboard.

I often write doctors because as people whose job is to care for others they lend themselves to being likeable characters. I mean everybody loved Dr. Alan Pierce back in Dino Attack RPG. Actually, I think Nicole might be the first doctor I've written in anything, RPG, novellas, or screenplays; that anybody had any complaints about at all. I've actually got one script in which one of the central characters is an army doctor and most of the people who read it say she's the most relatable character in the cast.

Rand, I suggest actually reading other peoples' posts. Especially the stuff that the Computer has said about Ashley's condition.

-Rover

Rand, I suggest actually reading other peoples' posts. Especially the stuff that the Computer has said about Ashley's condition.

^This, her vitals aren't normal, she used her psionics way past what would be safe so she at the very least has brain damage, and her nose is bleeding because of it. This has all been stated in previous posts.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

So, the fact isn't necessarily that Nicole is incompetent. She just seems that way because she's being played by an incompetent RPer who knows nothing about medicine and skims or doesn't read other peoples' posts even when they're relevant to his special snowflake of a character.

-Rover

Hey, I read other peoples' posts most of the time. I have to skim now and then when there's a lot of them but I do try. Also, I don't know about the rest of you but I have other projects that I'm worrying about at the same time. It's hard to balance the RPG with my scripts and short stories and my blog.

Edited by Atton Rand

Congrats. I have my last week of school, three books I'm working on, swordfighting to learn, an entire Wargame to make, my Warhammer 40k army to paint, three other RPs, a pen and paper RPG campaign, and a social life to run. You don't have any more excuse than I do, or anyone else for that matter. If you don't have the time to keep up with this RP, then stop trying and get out.

-Rover

You don't have any more excuse than I do, or anyone else for that matter. If you don't have the time to keep up with this RP, then stop trying and get out.

That's kinda the funny thing. Before I started I was having some trouble focusing and thought this might be a good way to keep myself writing, but sometimes I wonder if leaving would give me more time to focus on my writing. Of course I've got lots of time right now with the exception of Mondays, it's just a matter of balancing things. It's not easy.

Of course, that said, you seem to be the only person who has actually said they wanted me out. Is there anyone else who feels this way?

And I think you people are making a big deal out of nothing. I made a few mistakes in how I depict medicine because I'm not a doctor. It's that simple and you're acting like it's the end of the world.

Edited by Atton Rand

It could easily be the end of Ashley.

Also, if you have so little time, then why do you spend so much of it complaining about how people aren't RPing with you?

-Rover

Guys, chill out. This is a conversation that we probably should've had a while ago, but having it like this isn't going to accomplish anything productive. Atton, understand that Xom's right about a lot of what he's saying, and that what he's saying isn't intended to hurt or to attack you, he's trying to make you better. Criticism can hurt, but sometimes we need it, and frankly some of the best lessons that I've been given by others and given to others in RPGs have been things that were painful to hear or say. But the person getting advice, be it me or someone else, almost always was being told something that they really needed to hear, and that, in retrospect, they'd end up glad they were told. Xom's not wrong about a lot of this stuff, and I genuinely do believe he's trying to help. You don't need to be on the defensive so much.

Xom, if you want to give people advice, you need to be aware of their sensibilities and how to communicate with them. I agree with what you're saying, but not everyone responds to the way you're saying it. I know that, given how I've been in the past, I'm the absolute last person that deserves to lecture on this subject, but college forcing you to take speech communication courses teaches you a lot about how people communicate and interpret messages, and made me realize how stupid and standoffish in the past. Again, I agree with what you're saying, but if you want your advice to actually be taken in instead of just rebuffed by someone that feels they have to defend themselves, you need to be aware of how people are getting your message.

Between college, recording projects, work with friends, work, and a ton of family issues, I have no doubt I've missed weeks, if not months, of building tension leading to this, but everyone take a step back and a deep breath, from where I'm standing this is the last thing we need.

Edited by Necro
  • Upvote 3
baltimore_ravens.png

It could easily be the end of Ashley.

Also, if you have so little time, then why do you spend so much of it complaining about how people aren't RPing with you?

It's not that I have little time. I'm just not very good at organizing it. And in an RPG where people get mad at you for talking to NPC's (and this is the first of its kind I've seen, I do not recall ever being in an RPG before now where you get called out just for interacting with a character who wasn't created by another player) there's only so much you can do on your own trapped in a confined environment.

Alright, you want me out? Well, I can see trying to defend myself as a writer to you is going to be about as effective as trying to explain the sexism of the Connery's Bond films to a die hard fan. How about I put this to a vote. How many people here (other than Xomeron) despise my writing enough that they want to see me leave?

OOC: Uh, Plank, didn't you just technically break a few rules by taking direct control of my character without my consent? I thought that was a thing you weren't supposed to do around here.

You're allowed to do it if you're RPG staff.

- :burnmad:

Alright, Humva hasn't done it, so I'll do it in his place.

The next person to act foolishly gets a ****smack. I haven't gotten to deliver one in quite a while, and my hand is not only primed, but itching to do it.

Xomeron, you're not being helpful. You're being combative, insulting, and frankly, so blunt that hammers could be called pinpoint by comparison. I've stated this in view of several players, and I'll say it again; You're crossing the line from "Saying what should be said" to "Being vindictive". Really, you started crossing it long ago.

Atton, I'm going to level with you; You've done some foolish things, and you've seemed to be having a hard time adapting to how this place is run. But you're trying to get better. Xom does not speak for all of us, not in this. He is behaving out of line. That said, he does have a few valid points. You really need to try and pay closer attention, because you sometimes miss things that you should have noticed.

Despite such tendencies, I don't "despise" your writing, nor am I looking for you to be gone. If you want help getting used to this, or trying to improve on what you're doing, feel free to PM me.

• Upvote 4

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

With Necro on this one.

Frankly, Atton, I know what it's like to have very little time. I work. Quite alot.

I have also been getting very little interaction, none, in fact, expect for Humva.

You do not see me complaining about it. Seriously, constantly begging for interaction is...unseemly.

And I've come up with a handy-dandy solution to this seemingly never-ending brush war. Whatever is keeping Xomeron from PMing you- I suggest you try to fix it, I'm tired of going to this topic and seeing another page of pointless arguements. That way, he gets to say whatever he wants to say and you can acknowledge or ignore him as you wish. The way he's acting, I wouldn't blame you for ignoring him.

And, most importantly, the rest of us don't get dragged into your little duels. Everyone's happy, or at least, seperately miserable.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Despite such tendencies, I don't "despise" your writing, nor am I looking for you to be gone. If you want help getting used to this, or trying to improve on what you're doing, feel free to PM me.

I suppose it's worth doing. My lack of medicinal knowledge has never been a huge problem for any of the other doctors I've written, but I guess then again with that one script there wasn't as much focus on the actual medical work. In Dino Attack RPG there was a bit of room for the tongue-in-cheek humor and even the serious moments I was able to get away with being vague on the details of the actual surgery Pierce, Wade, Shaw, or any of the others did. I suppose having someone to go to would be helpful.

Atton, I'm going to level with you; You've done some foolish things, and you've seemed to be having a hard time adapting to how this place is run. But you're trying to get better. Xom does not speak for all of us, not in this. He is behaving out of line. That said, he does have a few valid points. You really need to try and pay closer attention, because you sometimes miss things that you should have noticed.

I'll confess I have had some difficulty fully understanding the technology of this world, especially medicinally. That's why I usually just try to make an educated guess whenever I'm not completely sure. Evidently here I just missed some crucial information somewhere down the line and I had to extrapolate based on the information in what I did read. I saw that Ashley was in pain but it was induced psychically which I got to thinking meant the pain would be purely psychological and there was blood from her nose but that can happen under the most mundane of circumstances so it didn't really indicate any injuries. I apologize for missing whatever post it was where those details were specified.

And I've come up with a handy-dandy solution to this seemingly never-ending brush war. Whatever is keeping Xomeron from PMing you- I suggest you try to fix it, I'm tired of going to this topic and seeing another page of pointless arguements. That way, he gets to say whatever he wants to say and you can acknowledge or ignore him as you wish. The way he's acting, I wouldn't blame you for ignoring him.

I should clear out that inbox of mine. I tried it once but I could never decide what was worth removing.

Edited by Atton Rand

I should clear out that inbox of mine. I tried it once but I could never decide what was worth removing.

As a last ditch, there is an ignore function on BZP. Not seeing someone's post is better then a never-ending brush war.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Yeah, that'd be reasonable to assume.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Okay, should I just make a guess what Ashley's blood type is? I'm not sure if anyone has a solid answer but a transfusion seemed to make sense after what she has been through and I wouldn't want to make a foolish mistake. (Come to think of it, some sort of IV designed to be able dispense through pressure rather than gravity alone might help if the possibility of the ship going weightless is still good; I was kinda half-hoping it would since I have some experience writing weightless characters).

So, having a job and other activities have been steadfastly absorbing all of my time. More than once, I've considered stepping out of this due to a lack of proper commitment (which I apologize for.)

My interest in this is still rather strong, so I figured I would ask you peoples "How do you manage your time so well?" because I know in my soul that quite a fee of you are far more busy than I.

Just figured I would ask for advice before I just drop out or something to that effect.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

I made a deal with several dark and dire alien gods. I spill the blood of my enemies upon their altar, in exchange they.....

Erm, in all seriousness, I just have to find a way to clear up a half an hour to brainstorm and type. Normally by pushing back the time I get into bed.

Or that rather comfortable leather couch.

Edited by Basilisk

Cause I'm totally really active here...

No but seriously, if you're busy, just sort of drop out for a little bit then drop back in. Time spent RPing should revolve around your Schedule, not anyone else's. When you run out of time, drop a message in here(or alternative ways of communication like Skype) saying you'll be busy for a bit. Then get a Recap later and drop back in.

At least that's what I do.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

The truth is, I know exactly ehat you're going through. In my case it probably helps that I have a lot of free time, the trouble is managing that time.

For some of my other activities I can sometimes get by making a plan. I often set a timer when working on my professional writing. At leadt this works when activity is slow. When it's all rapid fire new post every other minute things get a bit harder.

Rand, that commotion that Nicole heard is Can being carried by a rockman that Kelezagg is attacking. Would be nice of her to intervene

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

So in a moment you won't see often, I'm actually putting up a profile contest of sorts.

The Kestrel can hold up to six fighters, and we currently have three. A fuller complement would be nice, and so for anyone who doesn't have a second profile already, you are welcome and possibly encouraged to make a fighter pilot to be picked up at the next station, on the frontier of Engi space. If we get more than three contenders me and Tyler will judge who gets in and who doesn't. I know some have been wanting a second character for a while now so here's your chance to get one.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong