Discussion: FTL

Alex Humva

Always a spot open for a newcomer.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Alright.

Name: Antikythr

Species: Engi

Profession: Primarily a mechanic.

Skills: Like many Engi, he has a keen sense of technology. He is extremely good at building/debugging technology, which also transfers into hacking. He has a basic understanding of combat arts.

Items: He keeps two butterfly swords, a gift from a human a while back, and has a wrist holoprojecter. He has a regular, nonpropelled, grappling hook in his backpack. The last thing he carries is a miniature computer.

Appearance: Tall for an Engi, with a a nanofiber hat that looks like a rice hat.

Personality: Somewhat quirky, he is sentimental about some things and likes prose.

Biography: As a new graduate out of an Engi university, majoring in computer science, he left to see the world. After many adventures, and learning some combat arts, he ended up running a small business. He recently closed it down and is looking for a way to earn some money. He got his hat and swords from the person who taught him combat arts.

Edited by Fekoro

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

I'd suggest some more meat on the bones of that biography. Simplicity is alright but like, what did he do in university? Is he an Engi botanist? I really wouldn't know with this. Just beef it up a bit and it should be fine, because there's nothing particularly special requiring further explanation.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Okay, I've been thinking about maybe trying out this kind of thing. I've never played the game before so I'll probably have to consult the first post frequently, but I should be able to manage this. I guess I'd better put down my character here:

Name: Nicole Sarany

Species: Human

Profession: Ship's Doctor*

Skills: Medical

Items:

Appearance: Tall, caucasian, long brown hair, often tied back.

Personality: Well-meaning and friendly towards her crewmates, but at the same time somewhat jaded and cynical. Also something of a pacifist under normal circumstances, unless her patients are in danger.

Biography:

* I'm not sure if there's an alternative term that would be more appropriate for the setting.

Okay, I'm having some trouble thinking up a good biography right now. As for items, I'm not sure exactly what sort of technology would be available this far in the future.

Also, I've gotten into disputes about this kind of thing before, just how hard or soft are we looking at with this RPG? I remember getting into a few arguments with people back in one of the "Reality" reboots when I started incorporating actual science). I can imagine some creative liberties have been taken given the whole thing is based on faster-than-light travel and evidently we've somehow gotten advanced enough science to figure out a way around the time dilation (I'm a bit skeptical of the likelihood of such an accomplishment at any point in the future but I'll try to go along with it). I'm more of a hard science fiction writer normally but if you're going with soft I'll try and play along as best I can (I'm still depicting space as silent, though).

Well hello, Atton. Been a while. :P

I can help answer a few of those questions, but the boss obviously has the final say. First, I should note that the ship has a head doctor currently; search "Karin" and the result is the pertinent profile. Kothra might not mind having another aboard, though, so I'd suggest talking to him.

As for the matters of technology; I've bugged Humva with a million and one questions, so I might as well pass along what I've learned. Computer technology tends to be a combination of touch screen and mechanical input, AIs tend to not be so advanced due to their research being largely illegal and/or frowned upon. Handheld technology varies, but the use of FTL crystals tends to make it easier to power certain things, which is why we can have things like a handheld coilgun revolver. Looking through the profiles already approved could probably help serve as a good idea of what kinds of tech we have. Medical technology seems to, at least in part, make use of nanomachines, and I think Humva made reference to some kind of CR chamber in the medbay over Skype.

As for the hardness of the science... This game, from what I recall of previous discussions, is a bit softer. Not completely soft, mind you, but the versatility of FTL particles and other similar advancements is typically used to justify the more advanced aspects of the game. You can rest assured that space is most certainly silent, however. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

This game runs off of real world physics, until it doesn't, at which point science science particles are a thing.

And yes we have a vat of science goo which can help heal people.

Edited by Engineer Alexandra Humva

voidstars.png

Everybody got back to the ship and it exited the station. We then found a fleet of Mantis ships sitting outside and one of them did sciency stuff that meant that we would need an extra ten minutes to charge the jump drive.

While that was going on several Mantis teleported on to the ship. Several of them are now trying to make their way to the medbay and are being engaged by several of the PCs.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

It would be very prudent to fill in the blank spots on your profile, yeah.

• Upvote 1

voidstars.png

It would be very prudent to fill in the blank spots on your profile, yeah.

Fill them in and it should be fine, at least that's what it sounds like he is saying.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Well I mean "ok" is going depend upon what Atton fills the blanks in with but yes filling in the blanks is nice right now, we can discuss how we get him onto the ship after he get his profile finished.

voidstars.png

I'm sorry, but nobody seems to be noticing my character profile. I'm not even 100% certain if it's okay for there to be another doctor. I'm pretty sure it should be but nobody gave me a definitive answer.

Your profile as it stands can't be approved because you haven't even finished it yet. There's nothing under biography, or items. All the questions you asked in regards to the science of the world have been answered

As for having another doctor, you were advised thusly:

First, I should note that the ship has a head doctor currently; search "Karin" and the result is the pertinent profile. Kothra might not mind having another aboard, though, so I'd suggest talking to him.

Have you talked to Kothra at all?

Edited by More Fierce Than Fire

7AOYGDJ.jpg

I'm sorry, but nobody seems to be noticing my character profile. I'm not even 100% certain if it's okay for there to be another doctor. I'm pretty sure it should be but nobody gave me a definitive answer.

Your profile as it stands can't be approved because you haven't even finished it yet. There's nothing under biography, or items. All the questions you asked in regards to the science of the world have been answered

Alright, then. Now that I know that I'll have to come up with some sort of backstory. Man this is always the hardest part. As for items, would she be required to have anything specific? I mean I don't exactly envision her being the kind of person who would always have a firearm at her side. I suppose some sort of basic medical tools would make sense given she's a doctor.

Have you talked to Kothra at all?

Not yet. I guess I should just send him a PM or something. Do you have a link to his profile?

Anyway, I'd better have another go at the backstory here. We are on a military ship, so there is some potential there. Let's see what we can come up with:

Profession: Medical

Items:

Appearance: Tall, caucasian, long brown hair, often tied back.

Personality: Well-meaning and friendly towards her crewmates, but at the same time somewhat jaded and cynical. Also something of a pacifist under normal circumstances, unless her patients are in danger.

Biography: Nicole was recruited into the military shortly after completing medical school, where she was called in to assist in some of the darkest battles of the war. As the casualties mounted up, she had trouble taking it, especially after losing a few of her comrades, to the point where she had a nervous breakdown and had to be pulled off the field and given extended leave. She has since been re-recruited for the purposes of this mission.

Of course, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I even had a point in the first place. I thought you had created a Dr. Saran in the Dino Attack RPG, but thinking back, I think it was actually that guy.

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Okay, I've sent a message to Kothra. As for items, I'm still not totally sure. I guess it would make sense for her to have some sort of small medical device on hand, maybe if nothing else some sort of equipment for diagnosing patients. Would some sort of scanning device might make sense?

EDIT: Okay, I took a look at Karin's profile to get some ideas. I don't want to copy it directly, but in terms of equipment a first aid kit would make sense, that and perhaps some sort of scanning device. I remember back in Multiversal Collision I also had a useful piece of equipment that could come in handy here.

Let's see what I can come up with:

Profession: Medical

Items: Primarily carries a handheld scanner which examines certain bodily functions such as brain activity and heart rate. Also has a first aid kit containing important drugs, along with a few different kinds of bandages, one of which is designed to chemically cauterize wounds when applied (or, depending on the severity of the wound, at least delay the effects of infection to buy time for proper treatment).

Appearance: Tall, caucasian, long reddish-brown hair, often tied back.

Biography: Nicole was recruited into the military shortly after completing medical school in Ontario, Canada, where she was called in to assist in some of the darkest battles of the war. As the casualties mounted up, she had trouble taking it, especially after losing a few of her comrades, to the point where she had a nervous breakdown and had to be pulled off the field and given extended leave. She has since been re-recruited for the purposes of this mission.

Edited by Atton Rand

IGOR! RELEASE THE SHOGGOTHS!

shoggoth_by_eclectixx-d4rr7r9.jpg

Ah, but you see...

I AM ALREADY GONE

YOU FELL INTO MY TRAP

You activated my Trap Card!

I activate Solemn Judgement!

Curses! Foiled again!

Gentlemen, Shoggoths are simply unacceptable, I believe I will have to call their natural answer. There's a man who wants to see you about some lawn gnomes...

Edit: Image contained a filtered word.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Right.

Things are moving quickly again, for some reason, and my schedule is going to need alot of adjusting. Not sure I can stay involved, at this point. I'll try, but if it's gonna be constant rapid-fire posting everyday, well, I've got my writing, my research for said writing and my work. All of which come first.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Okay, I've tried to fill in the missing parts with a rough idea for a biography, and I also tried to come up with some tools. I had one or two ideas for details (maybe something about her having a lover who died on her operating table during one of the battles), but I've taken care of that stuff. I did send Kothra a message asking if he was okay with me playing a medic, but I still haven't heard back yet.

Am I in any position to be approved or is there anything else I need to do before I can get started?

Okay. Did some looking at my schedule, if I cut back on the blood rituals I should be able to stay in.

Though if a Great Old One rises and consumes Georgia you can blame this RPG.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I'm alright with it, though I'd suggest for plot purposes that she's onboard the slaver ship we're dealing with right now. It wouldn't be unheard of for an elderly ambassador to travel with a medical officer, and that means both you and Av can get aboard.

voidstars.png

It means she was captured when the Ambassador was. She's still a Confederate officer, it's just within the last week or so they got picked up after a raid. So you'd be a medical officer assigned to tend after an ambassador, and Av is currently serving as the Ambassador's bodyguard. We fit you both in and it works out pretty great.

voidstars.png

Well, I've spent the past hour chatting with people to make a plan to get us out of this pickle. And after a lot of work, we have one. We comply. They don't have teleporters, and probably don't have their own shuttle, so we send our own over. Load it with two boarding crew and bombs. They shuttle starts to go over, we use its launch to cover up slipping Deuce's fighter (I have permission from Onarax to bunny) out cold, and have him sliding towards their ship. That basically means his fighter is slipped out completely without power until he powers it on. Make sure his fighter is equipped with his heaviest weapons.

While they're doing that, we have Devas or Rehn stabilizing shields, and Daniels prepping weapons as much as he can without actually powering up. When the shuttle goes off, after we've used the remaining teleporter abilities to bring our crew back, Deuce's fighter powers up; He has the heavy weapons to start dismantling systems, and he can relay sensor data to the Kestrel so Daniels can fire to disable their systems.

I say disable because we still need what supplies they have. And because, OOC, we want to save our new crew members. Basically, we use a shuttle as a trojan and as a distraction to slip Deuce's fighter in close, then use the ship and the fighter's weapons to disable the slaver. Then we can take what we need, and rescue the new crew members.

I'll get this started IC as soon as I can get the post written.

(Details of the plan courtesy of myself, Silvan, and Onarax as the primary conspirators. :P)

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG