Early The LEGO Movie Draft Found?

tn_03_27_14_lego-movie-draft.png

SimplyScripts is a website where you can browse, as per its own description, 'links to hundreds of [...] movie scripts, screenplays, and transcripts of [...] movies, television, anime, unproduced and radio shows.' Well, a very interesting script has been released there recently - a script which appears to be a draft of The LEGO Movie when it was still called 'LEGO - The Piece of Resistance'. Since TLM sn't out in my country yet I haven't read much of the script to avoid spoilers, but from what I've read elsewhere, it seems quite different from what the actual movie has become, although you can spot several elements that actually made it into the final movie one way or another. Be prepared for a 111 page read. Do you think it's real? Are there some things in there that were cut out for the final movie but would have been good? Share your thoughts!

View the full article

Boy, just look at how professional this is:

screen_shot_2014-03-27_at_4.39.49_pm.png

Has our written language really come to a point where paid writers insert emoticons into their work? It makes my stomach shudder.

Where exactly is the problem with that? It's a (supposed) draft for a fun movie, no need to take it THAT seriously.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Has our written language really come to a point where paid writers insert emoticons into their work? It makes my stomach shudder.

Where exactly is the problem with that? It's a (supposed) draft for a fun movie, no need to take it THAT seriously.

If you were writing a fun story and turning it in to your boss/teacher, and expected to be paid/graded, would you put an emoticon in? Or would you want to look professional?

If you were writing a fun story and turning it in to your boss/teacher, and expected to be paid/graded, would you put an emoticon in? Or would you want to look professional?

If my boss or teacher has an issue with my using an emoticon in a fun story, maybe they shouldn't judge fun stories and take care of horror stories or tragedies instead. This is not a novel (even if it were, whether an emoticon was an issue or not is debatable, at least in my opinion). It's a draft of a script for a fun movie. The main purpose of the script is for the director to use it when directing a movie so he knows when what will happen and who will do what. I feel he has any right to use emoticons or scribble a picture or whatever he wants when he works with it. The script is his working instrument. It seems whoever they had to show their script to at Warner Bros knew to understand and respect that.

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

You generally don't turn in your first draft either to your superior. And especially considering the quirky nature of the story, I don't think having some emoticons is that overboard. (Especially when some spelling and punctuation seems to be way off!)

I kind of liked the inclusion of some more licensed characters in speaking roles and a few other sequences, but overall I still think I prefer the finalized story. (Or is this really fan fiction that we're taking too seriously)

:music:

Edited by xccj

Already seen and read this several times but still cool.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

From what I've read so far, I think you can read it and not relate it to the final movie. It's so different.

Also, with the emoticon thing, while I haven't gotten that far into the script, but just reading what I have, I don't see a problem with its inclusion, Everything in the script seems more of a conversation between friends (or a comedy on BZPower, such as SPIRIT's parodies of the BIONICLE movies from years ago) than anything formal whatsoever... the language alone, if included in the final cut, would've made it less child-friendly. There's hardly any description for settings; at best, they're references to already existing places from other media sources with an unwritten "just imagine this stuff combined." If authentic, this draft is a far cry from the final movie; for instance, while I can visualize what's going on, so many of the ideas are not fleshed out.

Besides, the whole message/theme of the movie is about creativity. When it comes to creativity, fleshing out ideas is hardly a starting point, though it is part of the process to improvement. When it comes to writing (or possibly other forms of creativity), fleshing out ideas too soon can sometimes throw off the train of thought.

©1984-2014 Toaraga EAM

Edited by Toaraga
  • Upvote 1

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life

Well, even if it turns out to just be fan fiction, it was a fun read. I do prefer the finished movie more though.

I actually laughed out loud a few times when reading this, especially the few parts with the mop. :)

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

You'd be surprised at how little that really matters in the long run. Script writers can write whatever it is they need to to get a point across, it doesn't make the script seem less professional. Have you taken a glance at the script for The Avengers? Joss Whedon is one of the best writers I know and he is definitely a professional at what he does, but I can't even post any examples here to prove my point about being silly or "unprofessional" in a script being totally alright and sometimes helpful, because at the moment all the excerpts I remember off the top of my head would break at least one or two BZP rules :P There's expletives and casual language, some of it sounds like he's just writing down whatever pops into his head. Basically, you're blowing the emoticon a fair bit out of proportion, especially when we're talking about an early script for a fun family movie ^_^

Also, they don't usually pick any old Joe out of his office and ask him to mock up a script, there's people who do that as their job, as there's a certain form and technique for writing 'em. They don't have to prove anything to their higher ups or whoever is in charge of passing or rejecting the script, they've already established their role and that the script is a valid work. Their only concern is to tell a clear story and make sure every part of the screenplay is understandable to whoever is reading through it, and most of all to make sure that story is good :)

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Pro-tip: Nobody cares about that stuff once you're out of school. It's about getting the job done, not following whatever arbitrary distinctions or rules are made up by somebody else.

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Pro-tip: Nobody cares about that stuff once you're out of school. It's about getting the job done, not following whatever arbitrary distinctions or rules are made up by somebody else.

There is lots of stuff nobody cares about anymore when you are done with school. :P

-Gata signoff.png

• Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Also I think it's super crazy how big a character Emmett's mom was and then to just have her mashed together with Wildstyle/Lucy in the final film.

I kind of suspect the entire thing was born around a "Your MOM's the chosen one" joke.

• Upvote 1

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND