• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Two Toa in Tandem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 20-July 07
  • 2,851 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 28 2014 - 03:50 AM

banner.jpg

One is orange-brown, the other metallic-blue, both different and very unique builds, and both a few years old. This is my first topic in a looong while, and these two MOCs have been sitting on my shelf for a couple years by now, and I never got around to making a topic for the brown one and I never took 'em apart 'cause I just liked them that much, and 'cause the pieces I used are practically the only ones that exist in those colors anyways so their application was limited.

The brown/orange-brown Toa of Stone was made as my character for an RPG on this site a few years back called Cradle of Civilization, I think I called him Khede? But he has Hewkii's mask and rocks his colors and I can totally see this as a re-imagining of Toa Hewkii, or even Pohatu, which I quite like the idea of. Maybe it's one of his Phantoka armor's forms? The orange-brown would be like a compromise between his 2008 orange and his original browns :)

The metallic-blue/translucent-blue Toa was conceived as an android but he's a Toa in this topic because I really wanted to play with the title :P I made him something like 4 years ago, probably, and used him in a few artworks and RPGs afterwards. According to my old brickshelf folder, his name is Putaelitus but I also called him Trip sometimes. 

Sooo yeah I had a looot of fun making them and was very proud of the way they're built, and have been meaning to post them here if it weren't for my regularly scheduled hiatuses, so check 'em out! ^^

front_1_sm.jpg    front_2_sm.jpg    quarter_1_sm.jpg

back_1_sm.jpg    back_2_sm.jpg    back_3_sm.jpg

quarter_2_sm.jpg    arms_out_1_sm.jpg    lean_1_sm.jpg    legs_1_sm.jpg

duo_1_sm.jpg    puet_1_sm.jpg    puet_2_sm.jpg

I put in front, back, quarter views, and some angles from which you can see more detail on the structure. My main focus with Khede/Toa Hewkii was to make a nice, compact torso that had waist articulation and I'm very happy with how I solved that issue. I put in technic wheels on the waist and arms as muscle mass basically, though I wish I had thinner wheels for the arms cause they're way too bulky that way but oh well. I also wanted to give him nice posable hands and joints overall and I think I succeeded, as you can see in the photos he can pull off pretty much any pose. The arms are a bit long, if we're going by people proportions, but they're relatively normal by post-Inika orangutan proportions. I tried to keep this theme of sleek sharp armor and curves, by which I mean I really wanted to use all those colorful bohrok eyes as armor. I think I slapped all those colorful translucent pieces as like, glowy armor bits as an afterthought to fill up gaps and to make him look a little more flashy. It could be like power armor or something, whatever. I don't even notice it so hopefully it's not distracting. Also I gave him tiny little Throwbot feet because I'm not a big fan of oversized feet and felt that his character would fare better with the dainty little things he has now :P Oh, and the gear on the back is both a solution for conveniently carrying his blades on his back, as a backpack of sorts, and 'cause I forever was and always will be in love with the aesthetic of the gear on the back from the early Toa and really wanted to implement it somehow.

Only problem I have with the model is the random holes, but I really did try filling them in and nothing helped, and also like half the ball joints are loose, as they notoriously are, so it's sometimes a pain in the butt to move around and pose without things falling to one side or popping off completely but I'm not against applying washable glue for some quick adhesion and friction between pieces, which is how I solved that for the most part. Also I don't like lower legs, it's just one Rahkshi leg piece and that kinda bores me, I was enjoying coming up with brand new designs for the rest of the body. It's been a couple years so I'm sure if I look through my brother's Hero Factory sets I'll find cool new pieces that can help me out. Also no eye/brain thing just cause I wanted to use pink and I don't think they make those in the shortened variety, and a log one restricts head movement.

I had a topic on Putaelitas a few years back so if you want to see him in detail that badly, the gallery is here. I've added on a tiny little thing here and there over the years, but honestly all I can remember is adding like two little studs to his legs. What I was going for with him was just using the tiny amount of metallic-blue and translucent-blue pieces in existence to make a full humanoid figure and I did and I love it! I'm super proud of his torso, it's like, so cool and looks great. I like the colors on him more just because they don't contrast like orange-brown and black do, and I basically only used two colors in the whole thing. 

I gave them the same style blades 'cause I loooove that the Lewa blades are in orange-brown (bless you Guuko) and I already had Putaelitas built with those blades so I figured, why not, make em partners, and I tweaked their weaponry to match. I think they look real spiffy together, don't they? :D

Welp, lemme know what you think, and any solutions y'all may have for any problems you notice! Also it's really nice to be back, I always drift away from BZP for giant chunks of time but nostalgia and you beautiful people always bring me back eventually :)

Edited by The Darkest Hunter, Mar 28 2014 - 03:55 AM.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png                                                                                                                      .

#2 Offline Phovos

Phovos
  • Members
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 07-September 07
  • 4,270 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 28 2014 - 10:32 AM

While the brown Toa is wonderful, I wonder how fragile the legs of that ice blue metallic Toa are. They seem like they could easily bend out of shape should you move his legs too hard.

#3 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 20-July 07
  • 2,851 posts

Posted Mar 28 2014 - 03:16 PM

While the brown Toa is wonderful, I wonder how fragile the legs of that ice blue metallic Toa are. They seem like they could easily bend out of shape should you move his legs too hard.

I thought so too, but they turned out to be really sturdy!

Here!

The brown one actually has more of a leg problem cause of the loose ball joints, it's real easy to send his legs in all sorts of directions even when you're trying really hard not to.

Edit: Please link to images over 500 kB in file size.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-, Mar 28 2014 - 06:53 PM.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png                                                                                                                      .

#4 Offline keiththelegokid

keiththelegokid
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 20-December 13
  • 65 posts

Posted Apr 06 2014 - 06:16 AM

I really like the blue one. He looks kinda of like a hologram bionicle.

Check out Emmets Constructo-Spaceship

http://www.us.lego.c...1f-0b1050ed347f

#5 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 20-July 07
  • 2,851 posts

Posted Apr 06 2014 - 02:40 PM

I really like the blue one. He looks kinda of like a hologram bionicle.

Yeah, he kinda does. In some art and in RPs I had him have a hologram Kanohi projected over his face 'cause it was just so fitting. Glad ya like 'im :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users